• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most climactic final boss

cvxfreak

We have the anti-climactic, so here's the climactic. :p

My votes go to:

Onimusha 2
Onimusha 3
Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
Shenmue
Shenmue II

Star Ocean 2
Parasite Eve
Fire Emblem (Rekka no Ken)
Metal Gear Solid
The Guardian Legend
Xenogears
Final Fantasy VIII (without Lionheart)
Final Fantasy VI
Castlevania Circle of the Moon
Breath of Fire 3
Kingodm Hearts

In Final Fantasy VIII I missed only one magazine: the book with the Lionheart sword. I then proceeded to use items needed for it elsewhere. Ultimecia wiped out my Ultima juntioned to attack and killed everyone other than Squall (Rinoa was revived 3 times before falling near the end). This led to a showdown between Squall and Ultimecia that lasted quite some time (even with help from Apocalypse) and I only won because of my auto-potion X-potions.

Indalecio took me about 3 days to beat in Star Ocean, as did Dracula in Circle of the Moon.The final boss of Kingdom Hearts was very easy, but the battle was so long and dramatic that I was still worn out by the end. I also had quite a difficult time with the entire last stage of Fire Emblem, although I was able to beat the final foe the first time I arrived at him with all members surviving.

thomaser

Zelda - Ocarina Of Time and Zelda - The Wind Waker both had incredible final boss battles, not because of their difficulty, but because of the setting, visuals, atmosphere and choreography. Super Metroid too... the feeling you get when the baby Metroid comes and does its thing is absolutely awesome. Oh, and the battle with Dracula in Super Castlevania IV is fantastic, largely because of the superb music.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Kingdom Hearts
Final Fantasy X
Gitaroo-Man
Devil May Cry (the final boss, but not the final moment of beating him)

Crap, almost forgot one of the best. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Awesome fight.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
radiant silvergun's whole end sequence, from xiga to the crystal, is absolutely perfect. in a game that consists almost entirely of boss battles of escalating intensity, it's amazing that they could ratchet the tension and scale and drama up even higher at the end. it's not really my style of shooter, but credit where it's due.

Eric-GCA

Banned
Castlevania 64 indeed have a nice climactic boss fight, especially after the multitute of boss fights that occured right before it happened. I also thought it was the best fight with "Death" in a Castlevania game (yeah, even surpassing LoI).

Of course there's Zelda, but I'd also throw in Eternal Darkness and ICO for while not being challenging, being more cinematic.

Meier

Even though he wasnt all that difficult, the Ganon fight (and no that isnt a spoiler) at the end of The Wind Waker was perhaps the most dramatic, perfectly staged boss fight in any game I've ever played. It gave me chills.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
SERIOUS SAM

serioussam_screen011.jpg

serioussam_screen018.jpg

serioussam_screen020.jpg

serioussam_screen001.jpg

PS Badabing's avatar keeps crashing IE. Annoying as all hell.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Super easy with the triple machine gun (rate of fire power up) but the whole helicopter ride up the shaft was rad.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Shenmue 2 disc 4 is almost like a 4 hour interactive ending sequence. Niu made a fantastic last battle for the game. A massive brawl atop a massive sky scraper with your friends surrounding with cheers. It was a fairly lengthy and thrilling battle. The fight itself was very easy, but I lost a couple times on the QTE event that occurs immediately afterwards as a result of the DC d-pad (grrr). Still, it was an amazing sequence...and marked the beginning of the best part of the entire Shenmue series (disc 4).

cvxfreak

Definitely. Disc 4 wasn't really much of a game, so Disc 3 is when the fun really ends (and begins, at the same time).

Deg

Banned
Metroid Prime. Nice build up, name of game, finnaly see boss and boy its tough.

Advance Wars 1. Tough and unfair advantage.

Zelda games. They know how to do it. Wind Waker ended superbly. And Ganondorf wasnt exactly big or anything!

probably many others too.

Chrono

Banned
Deg said:
Advance Wars 1. Tough and unfair advantage.

Man that fight kicked my ass. :(

I think I've spent hours just pushing him back and trying to build a decent army... that later gets destroyed in an attempt to push him back into his territory. That's how it went for A LONG time until I SLOWLY got the advantage and actually went into his half of the map. When that happened I took my time to torture him slowly and park my tanks right on his factories. :D

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Sephiroth? How much more climactic do you want than a battle against a guy who destroys the solar system as a summon spell and has One Winged Angel playing in the background?

Other honorable mentions for Ocarina of Time, Final Fantasy VI, Devil May Cry, Chrono Trigger, and probably a few others that I'm blanking on right now.

LakeEarth

Schafer said:
SERIOUS SAM

serioussam_screen011.jpg

serioussam_screen018.jpg

serioussam_screen020.jpg

serioussam_screen001.jpg

PS Badabing's avatar keeps crashing IE. Annoying as all hell.

Excellent choice. I just wish I was playing this game without knowing about him. That would've been one hell of a suprise.

OoT. Both the ganondorf (walking up all those steps, seing 'dorf playing the organ, having his cape disinegrate slowly as you beat his ass all kicked so much ass) and Ganon (nuff said) battles were incredible.

btw, is that the first version of Serious Sam? I dont' remember it looking that good when i played the demo years ago.

LakeEarth

Ninja Scooter said:
btw, is that the first version of Serious Sam? I dont' remember it looking that good when i played the demo years ago.

The final boss/stage looked VERY good. Too bad the final bosses in the sequels have been...well... not as impressive.

Three that come to mind:

MGS2: Say what you will, but I think swordfighting a former US president, on the rooftop of federal hall, with a trillion dollar battle station in the background counts for something.

ZOE2: Just watch the videos. Jehuty vs. Anubis inside Aumaan, with zero shift action all over the place.

Final Fantasy VI: There is something unforgettable about fighting it out with God-Kefka in the sky with the heavy organ background theme blazing.

SantaC

cybernator (the final boss taking up more than 1 screen)
kefka in ff6. my most memorable final boss battle ever
final boss in rygar was tough as hell.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Some great choices in this thread.

But I think Ganon from OOT is still my favorite boss-fight of all time.

JFG- excellent for those who actually saved all of the Tribals
Zelda: Ocarina of Time- A powerful, absolutely stunning ending to match an epic game
Zelda: Wind Waker- less epic, somewhat disappointing plotwise, but thematically strong and beautiful ending
Beyond Good and Evil- The last level was undeveloped plotwise, but the final battle is amazing.

Speevy said:
Castlevania 64.

I don't imagine most people bothered to finish this one.

Not true, I did finish this game. However I have absolutely no recolection of the final boss.

Zelda OoT and WW are both up there. I think Star Fox 64 is up there too (if you take the good path).

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Breath of Fire II (SNES vers.) - Last boss was a challenge after that tortuous last dungeon, a giant hurdle lined with barb wire at the top if you decided to be a hero like me and defeat it on sub-40 levels without Bleu. I think my highest level was Ryu on 35 and had Rand as my tank. Countless times when everyone would be dead except for Rand.. took me 3 or 4 goes to defeat her.. each time duration about 20-30 mins.

Final Fantasy VI - Defeating the 3 gods under Kefka was amazing to the Dancing Mad music. Was a bit easier in the fact that you could use all your different characters.. I praise those that managed to travel through the last dungeon and defeat him with just 4 characters.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Journeywalker said:
JFG- excellent for those who actually saved all of the Tribals

Zelda: Wind Waker- less epic, somewhat disappointing plotwise, but thematically strong and beautiful ending
Yeah, those are the two I'd mention. The final battle in JFG against Mizar was just amazing, really challenging and really rewarding. And Wind Waker's final boss was just a stunning encounter. Top notch animation set against the beautiful background of waterfalls.

Ronin

Sonic & Knucles w/ Sonic 3.

Collectiong all the emeralds from both games to reach the Doomsday Zone and become Hyper Sonic. Battling Dr. Robotnik above the planet Mobius while dodging asteroids. Fucking insane. The music rocked too. And it was even more kick ass when I beat it with only one ring remaining.

The final battle in Sonic Adventure was pretty rad too.

Agent X

dark10x said:
ICO and REZ come to mind...

Both of those are great choices! Ico was especially climactic, with that entire final sequence (from the last save point onward) that really set the stage for the encounter with the last boss.

Going back a few more years, I might have to pick the Jaguar game Missile Command 3D (Virtual Mode) as one that was really good, but was relatively obscure compared to most of the other games mentioned earlier in this thread.

Memles

Zeldas come to mind for me, Ocarina and Wind Waker. LOVED the entire final Wind Waker Battle, not because it was hard, but simply cinematically and thematically it blew me away...the swords came up, and I seriously almost lost it.

Top Bottom