• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most climactic final boss

AniHawk

Kola said:
Zelda: OoT

Didn't see Ganon coming...

Me neither. But I always get a kick out of:

Zelda: It's finally over...
*Loud thump*
Zelda: *gasps*
Link: *smacks Zelda in the mouth with his hand*

Badabing said:
Duke Nukem 3D always had some memorable boss battles that I shall never forget

Agreed

"I'm gonna rip off your head and shit down your neck"

"Its down to you and me you one eyed freak"

I thought Onimusha 2 was amazing. Fucking went a bit odd becoming a shooter but I didn't have that many healing and too me ages to kill the boss. Many many many restarts. Class game

OOT. Ganon was unbelievable

Metroid Prime. Retro left what was essentially the best designed boss til the end; looking at MP = me sitting going OMGWTFBBQ!>?

Sephiroth FFVII. Asshole had to die! And the party divided into 2 bit made it really exciting. + Kefka. I didn't expect to have to fight 3 screens of Evil

DCX

DCX
I would agree with most of your choices and by this point i really doubt i will have any orginal entries.

- Final Fantasy VII
- MGS2
- Chrono Trigger
- Sonic Adventure

DCX

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
FF4 - the whole dungeon leading up to the final battle, the epic speech before fighting him (something new at the time), and the actual battle itself... it's fairly challenging (especially by FF standards), the music is fantastic, and the ending is one of the best endings in a game.

Phantasy Star - Comes out of nowhere, I love the tension as you climb up the most confusing dungeon in all of RPGdom, then battle Lassic, then when you return to the Governor to tell him news of your success, you fall down a trap door, make your way through a small, linear catacomb, and have to fight DarkFalz, the real end guy.

Super Metroid's was awesome, too...

jcjimher

I must repeat what others said and pick Shenmue II.

The 40-floor building thing starts slow but gets progressively intense as you get higher. So, when you reach the final boss at the roof, the tension is at maxium.

Then, there comes the 4th disc, which after the experience of the last one feels even more realxing and intriguing. However, the final ending (although not a boss) is a good climax, and it's really sad we've been installed in that climax for almost 4 years now :(

OoT was frickin' awesome.

While not "climatic", as the game's humour and tone don't really allow for it, I thought the last boss battle in Conker's Bad Fur Day just rocked! Nice twist in the story line and a great homage to Super Mario 64. It was just a fantastic way to finish off the game and also the end of the N64 console for me. It was a little clumsy though and could be frustrating but I still enjoyed it.

jett

D-Member
Ganon from Ocarina of Time, no doubt. The setting, the muzak, the boss itself...everything is great. Kefka and his 3-story minion is a close second.

suikodan

DCX said:
I would agree with most of your choices and by this point i really doubt i will have any orginal entries.

- Final Fantasy VII
- MGS2
- Chrono Trigger
- Sonic Adventure

DCX

I also liked Sonic Adventure with everyone cheering at Super Sonic when he attacks the Water boss and after that, the music starts with the Sonic theme. Cheezy but effective.

Lunar: SSSC also had a good final with the boss always saying "Time to die".

Of course, OoT stills ranks among the best.

Loki

Count of Concision
Super Metroid
FF4, 6 and 7 (in that order)
Shenmue
Yoshi's Island

I'm surprised that only one person mentioned Phantasy Star 2. When I first fought Dark Force, it was an experience; I thought I was just opening an item box-- very frightening at the time! :D Mother Brain, with her color-cycling self, was also cool. Man, the whole planet of Dezo in PS2 was just so cool...

Hero

LoZ:OoT is probably the top contender for me. The awesome, classic LttP style Ganondorf fight, the escape from the castle, and then finally Ganondorf rising from the rubble and transforming and batting away the Master Sword like it was nothing. Plus the music was one of the hottest final battle tracks ever. This entire sequence was just perfect. I remember at some point I tried hiding behind one of the pillars to just stop for a second and he just suddenly broke through it with his weapons, I was shocked and awed.

Super Metroid is another great one. The classic NES style final fight, then rising into a huge monster. Such an awesome fight, and then you get messed up. The baby metroid was both inspiring and sad. I thought it was ironic how that Samus saved its life and it was now saving hers (and again in the future). Then when you get the super ultimate hyper beam it just made me/Samus feel tough.

Final Fantasy IV is another great memory. The entire last dungeon was just fantastic, the music, the boss-like normal enemy encounters. Seeing Golbez and FuSoYa, two of the most powerful characters in the game fall to Zemus was just terrifying. I was like 'What?!' The whole bit of all the other hero characters in the game using their prayers to revive Cecil and company to full power was touching. Plus the final boss music was hot. And who could forget the Big Bang attack?

Ikaruga as well.

Phoenix

Dunno why I didn't add these in before

FF3, FF7

Mario64 - not a lot of love here, but this one one of the tougher end stages I'd been on in a while. You can't just count the boss because the entire level was like a boss - especially when you look back at the level and see where you started from. Pisses me off more and more than Sunshine was a piece of crap.

UN Squadron

Assault Suits Valken

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Loki said:
I'm surprised that only one person mentioned Phantasy Star 2. When I first fought Dark Force, it was an experience; I thought I was just opening an item box-- very frightening at the time! :D Mother Brain, with her color-cycling self, was also cool. Man, the whole planet of Dezo in PS2 was just so cool...

I totally agree with you.

marsomega

RiZ III said:
Zelda OoT

PDS - He threw fricken Mel-Kava at you!

Ico - Awwwwwwwwsome final battle.

Onimusha 3

Man i loved that final battle. The whole speech and stuff leading up to it as well.

Zaptruder

Banned
FF games traditionally have strong (story wise) bosses... but some of them just fall flat on their faces...

Ultimecia, badly presented in the game (it was only the post analysis of the character that made me kinda like the idea).

FF9 boss... wtf was that?

FF10 boss was pretty good... until it got to the tick. Yeesh.

FF11 boss = somewhat interesting, but none of the presence of a real FF boss and the fight is a joke...

firex

I actually think a lot of FF end bosses tend to be annoying deus ex machina types of guys. Like Zeromus in FF4 (not revealed at the very end, but when you're down to the last 5 hours or so of the game), or the bosses of 8 and 9, or the boss of the first one. 10 wasn't totally a "comes out of nowhere" end boss but it seemed similarly rushed out to me, since I figured it would be Seymour or something. So I generally find those to be anticlimactic. Xenogears seemed similarly deus ex machina to me but it wasn't that anticlimactic, I thought. Although the very last battle was pretty crappy and pointless (almost as pointless as omnislashing Sephiroth).

In terms of challenging I think the Dragonlord from the original Dragon Warrior is one of the best. Really tough even if you level up to the max level. I think Warcraft 3 and Starcraft both deserve mentioning as well. The last missions in the final campaigns of both games are really good and pretty climactic for RTS games, especially War3's. Diablo 2 (not LOD) is pretty awesome when you first encounter Diablo, too.

And despite the easiness of the encounter, Archmage Arugal in WOW is pretty cool, although probably not quite as climactic as the encounter with the Shade of Eranikus.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
A tie between Phantasy Star Online and Radiant Silvergun.

Totally different genres, but both got the build-up for a final boss perfect in my opinion.

axxxj

Animator in Waiting
Phoenix said:
Dunno why I didn't add these in before

FF3, FF7

Mario64 - not a lot of love here, but this one one of the tougher end stages I'd been on in a while. You can't just count the boss because the entire level was like a boss - especially when you look back at the level and see where you started from. Pisses me off more and more than Sunshine was a piece of crap.

UN Squadron

Assault Suits Valken

Agreed about M64 it was a awsome end of boss fight tho it was so sad finishing the game it just left me feeling empty :( then Sunshine came out and rubbed my face in it and showed me how good Mario 64 was.

drohne said:
radiant silvergun's whole end sequence, from xiga to the crystal, is absolutely perfect. in a game that consists almost entirely of boss battles of escalating intensity, it's amazing that they could ratchet the tension and scale and drama up even higher at the end. it's not really my style of shooter, but credit where it's due.

I'm going to actually agree on drohne on this one. I also vote for Panzer Saga and Super Metroid. Plus, I'd want to include the last level and final confrontation in NiGHTS as well.

AniHawk

marsomega said:
I know these would be considered spoilers but maybe this thread would rock with pics..

Sure, why not:

Link's Awakening:

zeldaawake-7.gif
zeldaawake-8.gif
zeldaawake-9.gif
zeldaawake-10.gif

Ocarina of Time:

01.JPG

03.JPG

05.JPG

07.JPG

The Wind Waker: