• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hard Mode in Metroid: Return of Samus seemingly locked behind Amiibo

HoJu

jpg

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/evdeqz/it-seems-nintendos-locking-a-metroid-hard-mode-behind-amiibo
Samus, for example, unlocks a "unique Metroid II art gallery," while the metroid reveals Fusion Mode, which puts Samus into her blue-tinted fusion suit and ramps up the game's difficulty. Even with amiibos, players will have to beat the game once before accessing each feature.

Pretty quickly, the Facebook comments wondered if Nintendo was locking game modes behind amiibo... When I contacted Nintendo, the company pointed me to their Facebook page.

That didn't answer my question, though. I understood what the amiibos could do, the question was whether players could get the same content without one.

Again, the company pointed me to their Facebook page. It refused to provide any direct clarification on this point, which may say it all: it is locked behind amiibos.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-07-26-metroid-samus-returns-has-exclusive-content-for-four-amiibo
Each of these four will give you something extra in Metroid: Samus Returns, and a Nintendo spokesperson has confirmed to Eurogamer that "this unlockable content is only unlocked using amiibo".

Galleries of concept art and a sound test mode are also only unlocked using Amiibo.
Nintendo has not said whether you can play a Hard Mode without the Fusion suit without needing Amiibo.

jaina

Hard mode has been a regular feature for enemy amiibo of a game. (E.g. Ganondorf)
(I'm not saying that it should be the only way to access it)

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I eagerly await the "Metroid doesn't ask me for money when I play" threads.

Arkeband

Banned
I think we had a thread on this, they basically lock everything you'd normally assume would come with a game behind amiibo - including a sound test.

Yup not good stuff. I guess as the audience for this game is fairly small they're trying to further monetise it but I would argue only the Fusion suit is amiibo worthy. Stuff like sound test is just odd.

"Why don't they make more metroid games"
(Announce metriod games, confirm mode most people won't play is tied to an amiibo)
"Pre order canceled"
(Game bombs and metriod disappears for years"
"Why don't they make more metoid games"

just so they can sell some plastic.

urgh.

(Announce metriod games, confirm mode most people won't play is tied to an amiibo)
"Pre order canceled"

metroid is a core game. so core gamers who will buy it will play hard mode.

jondy1703

Neo Member
I mean, hard mode was paid DLC for Breath of the Wild so I don't really see what the hoopla is about.

I also don't typically replay games on hard so it's not a big deal for me. But this just doesn't seem that major.

Zubz

Banned
I want the squishy thing, but this is some bullshit. I thought this was like Star Fox Zero, where you can use the Amiibo to start with the mode, but it's unlockable otherwise.

I like amiibo, they're cute, but this is ridiculous. Same with the Splatoon 2 weapon loadouts being behind them.

At the very least, they should let you use any amiibo for most of this stuff.

Mafro

Looking forward to those that were moaning for years about wanting a new 2D Metroid pretending they are not going to buy it because of this.

nynt9

"Pre order canceled"

Shitty business decisions shouldn't be rewarded.

Kinsei

Banned
Shit. I might have to pass on this then.

"Pre order canceled"

If most people don;t play the mode then why would their refusal to buy the game make it bomb? Your reasoning makes absolutely no sense.

Rncewind

"Pre order canceled"

So if you fan of a series you must bend over to companies and their shitty practices or what are you trying to tell?

13ruce

Banned
This is pretty dumb tbh and i am getting both Amiibo. These are things games normally have as a neat bonus.

Platy

This is the second thread I saw that said that it is locked behind amiibo.

And yet this thread says otherwise :
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1410279
Samus Aran (Metroid Series)
Elon Reserve Tank (special ability recovery)
Metroid II Art Gallery (unlocked after beating game)

Metroid (Metroid Series)
Metroid Marker (tells you location of nearest Metroid)
FUSION Difficulty Mode, play in the Fusion suit (unlocked after beating game)

Samus Aran (Super Smash Bros. Series)
Missile Reserve Tank (missile recovery)
Concept Art Gallery (unlocked after beating game)

Zero Suit Samus (Super Smash Bros. Series)
Energy Reserve Tank (energy recovery)
Sound Test (unlocked after beating game)

Looking forward to those that were moaning for years about wanting a new 2D Metroid pretending they are not going to buy it because of this.

I'm not. My 3DS was gonna come out of retirement for this but Amiibos for hard mode? Naw. Not when it's on a platform I don't want to invest any more money on.

kunonabi

The gallery stuff doesn't bother me much as long as they are in addition to existing gallery content. Hard mode being locked away is another matter. I don't agree with that all.

Ok, so, I don't know if it's kosher to talk about stuff like this on GAF, but I bought one of those 'N2 Elite' devices for precisely this issue. I refuse to support these physical DLC shenanigans, and feel no remorse in downloading a few Metroid NFC files to unlock content that should be unlockable in the game on its own.

Kyuur

Fusion mode difficulty is locked behind Amiibo. I would guess there is a regular hard mode unlocked by completing the game or available from the beginning as per usual (or non-existent).

Come the fuck on. And people were trying to argue with me last week that shit like this is fine because it's optional and because everyone buys amiibo for the figure, not the content locked behind it.

Regginator

Again, Amiibo is worse than DLC in literally every way.

This.

I can't think of any $15 DLC that has so ridiculously little content as the ones getting locked behind Amiibo. And don't give me the "but it's meant to be collected!" bullshit. As long as Nintendo are locking content behind them, I - and everyone else should - consider them DLC.

Nintendo should be fucking ashamed. Or better yet, people buying this shit. If you want to collect little dolls, there are tons of quality alternatives instead of these shitty, plastic things.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I mean, hard mode was paid DLC for Breath of the Wild so I don't really see what the hoopla is about.

I also don't typically replay games on hard so it's not a big deal for me. But this just doesn't seem that major.

*Nintendo announces that button configuration is only possible if you buy an Amiibo*

Jondy: Eh, I never like to change my buttons, I don't see what the big deal is.

*Nintendo announces that the color version of the game is available only if you buy an Amiibo*

Jondy: Eh, I always thought black and white was pretty artistic. You guys bitch about everything.

13ruce

Banned
Why can't they atleast put the amiibo content for cheap on the eshop? And make some amiibo cards for retail like some people do on ebay.

Still scummy but atleast a way to get it cheap without needing a figure.

Hopefully there is a nornal hard mode atleast tho.

Toxi

Banned
The game probably still has a separate hard mode that doesn't involve the Fusion Suit. It would just be baffling otherwise.

But this news, along with locking art galleries and the sound test behind Amiibo, really sucks. Samus Returns looks like a fantastic game, so why does it need this bullshit? At least let us unlock a hard mode and the art and sound galleries by beating the game in short time or with 100% completion.

Top Bottom