• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HasCon exclusive DnD, Transformers, and Nerf theme Magic the Gathering cards revealed

Face cards:
636368343627109856.jpg

Token and back card:

HasCon information
Ticket and add-on information

These cards come with the VIP Super Fan Magic the Gathering ticket, and can be purchased separately for $30.

The first card, Sword of Dungeons & Dragons, will also be available in the upcoming comedy set Unstable, while the others are exclusive to the convention.

For those familiar with how double faced cards work in Magic, you might find the wording on Grimlock odd. The usual term for switching from one side to the other is "transform", which seems like a slam dunk, but it instead uses the term "becomes". This guy claims that they legally can't say Transformers transform. Which is weird, but just weird enough to be true.

I think all of these cards are really neat, and cleverly incorporate their respective franchises. Shame there's no MLP card, though. Maybe next year.

Current Magic OT

As I mentioned earlier on reddit:

Sword is almost standard printable, other than the silly creature subtype protection and the D20 roll.
+2/+2 and a 4/4 Flyer token for 5 is pretty damn good, and a 5% chance at a second token (there's the remote possibility of a third, but let's face it, rolling a 20 3 times in a row? I wouldn't bet on it.)

Grimlock? Ixalan Dino Tribal Un-Commander. 'Nuff said, importing this and bringing a transformer to my LGS. :)

Nerf War: Now THIS should be in Unstable! it's like, Chaos Confetti, but as a mill/damage combo. (Also, PERFECT Izzet typing!) A straight wincon, if you're a decent enough shot... :)

Toxi

Banned
Gridlock becomes a lot better with the Beast Wars spring-loaded single-step transformers.

Except Randy. Poor, poor Randy.

Yeah, to be clear, silver-bordered cards are illegal in official tournaments, and are only available in casual play. They're particularly popular in silver-bordered Commander decks and Cube lists.

And comment from the Transformers thread explaining why they didn't use "transform" on Grimlock.
They can legally say it, but Hasbro doesn't whenever possible, because you can't trademark or copyright "transform" in that usage, so it could easily become a brand name used generically to mean any toy that changes form, like Kleenex or Xerox have become with their usage. Hasbro wants to avoid that legal loophole so they always refer to the toys "changing" or "converting," not transforming. This does not seem to be a rule adhered to in the fiction, for the most part, but definitely is with the merch.

Top Bottom