• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

I think baby jace has nowhere to go but up now, it's extremely hard to reprint and is playable in almost every format.

That's exactly my thinking as well. This isn't one they can just run off for shits and giggles. They'd have to really plan it to reprint it.

Wulfric

Hmm, at least two years now? Not everyone is getting the playmat for CFB's GP in San Jose either. It sucks, but side events are where it's at. It's so much easier to earn prizes and play different formats. I understand some people are in it for pro points however.

If Modern Masters 2017 has double faced cards, I expect they'll also print the baby planeswalkers there.

I doubt the set will even have double faced cards, let alone the planeswalkers. That would take up 5 mythic slots just for the oppurtunity to print Jace. Or they could print him solo like Tezerret the Seeker in MM2015, but that's even more unlikely.

Ashodin

I'm sorry I broke Terastodon

LEGENDRULE #14

bENxmwA.png

It will be a 5 dollar card, max. It's not good in anything - sure, it looks like a toolbox Tron card, but you're talking about taking matchups you win 70% of the time and winning them 75% of the time vs. just mainboarding enough Karns and Ugins.

Yeah, I don't imagine it's good in a competitive Tron deck. Mine is just big dumb artifacts - all colourless cards - that I think are funny. Myr Battlesphere, Colossus of Akros, etc., and silliness like Elbrus, the Binding Blade and Tower of Calamities :p

On another note, I was looking up architecture cards and I hadn't seen this stupid thing before:

309.jpg

lol awesome.

kirblar

This just came up on twitter. GP Attendance has been falling.
@Skyl3lazer

Made this for my own user but here's a chart showing GP attendance since 97 with 10 gp moving avg (black) and poly6 fit (red). ITS DOWN #MtG

Downtick starts in march 2015. Data sourced from wikipedia.

More fun facts: Vegas is excluded because it was over 7k people and broke things. (kirblar editor note: this is fair, its not a normal event)

C036Db_WEAEG4kJ.jpg
As it turns out, though, we're not looking at something where the easy WotC side answers apply. The Spring 2015 set? Dragons of Tarkir. The first 3-Block rotation? Spring 2016. None of these should be playing into the drop. So what is it then? This easy answer instead:

@TheCravenOne

@Skyl3lazer Would you like my pricing data to line up with that? :p

My data for this also includes whether the GP was actually held in the city it was named for (EG, Dulles Expo Center != Wash DC)

C04YPobUAAATF_n.jpg:large

RG0BS1U.gif

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=13708&writer=Seth+Manfield&articledate=12-29-2016

Seth Manfield:

Summary: "unban Chrome Mox, Jace the Mind Sculptor, Bloodbraid Elf, Umezawa's Jitte, and Mental Misstep because reasons."
Christ, PVDDR has better opinions than this.

edit: This is (literal) gold from Reddit

fifteenstepper 437 points 8 hours ago

a magic article but every time he says a card name it makes less sense

Wulfric

Phil Foglio's art was so awesome.

Ha, it was fantastic. How many card games have Einstein in them? You know, I wish Fay Jones could have done more card art, but it seems like she was already quite successful at the time. She's also in a few museum permanent collections. Is there another Magic artist out there with this much "art world" prestige? Outside of Rebecca Guay, I can't think of any.

Nf0HLCT.jpg

uKHymo7.jpg

edit: Donato Giancola is up there too. That's some Renaissance level shit right here.

Took me some time to realize that etched champion really does nothing for a voltron build so now the question is to replace it with Padeem for protection, Thassa for evasion or Godsend / Neurok Stealthsuit for more equipments

Also need to find room for Izzet Charm for some more Sunforger goodness.

Ashodin

Old WotC was insane and this card is awesome.

If I ever make a mono red EDH deck, it will be full of counterspells. All 5 or so of them.

I fucking love some of the old cards, they weren't afraid to make the weirdest shit ever

I see you're doing the same commander partners as me. Here's my list:

Code:
1 Ancient Den
1 Arcane Sanctum
1 Ash Barrens
1 Buried Ruin
1 Command Tower
1 Crumbling Necropolis
1 Darksteel Citadel
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Exotic Orchard
1 Flooded Strand
1 Great Furnace
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Inventors' Fair
4 Island
4 Mountain
1 Mystic Monastery
1 Nomad Outpost
3 Plains
1 Prairie Stream
1 Seat of the Synod
1 Sunken Hollow
3 Swamp
1 Temple of the False God
1 Terramorphic Expanse
1 Vault of Whispers
1 Watery Grave
1 Akiri, Line-Slinger
1 Anguished Unmaking
1 Baleful Strix
1 Beacon of Unrest
1 Brass Squire
1 Breya, Etherium Shaper
1 Chaos Warp
1 Chief Engineer
1 Commander's Sphere
1 Counterspell
1 Cranial Plating
1 Daretti, Scrap Savant
1 Darksteel Forge
1 Disciple of the Vault
1 Etherium Sculptor
1 Fabricate
1 Filigree Angel
1 Foundry Inspector
1 Grand Abolisher
1 Grip of Phyresis
1 Hanna, Ship's Navigator
1 Hellkite Tyrant
1 Helm of Kaldra
1 Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer
1 Lightning Greaves
1 Loxodon Warhammer
1 Master of Etherium
1 Mycosynth Wellspring
1 Myr Battlesphere
1 Myr Retriever
1 Nahiri, the Lithomancer
1 Open the Vaults
1 Padeem, Consul of Innovation
1 Panharmonicon
1 Puresteel Paladin
1 Scourglass
1 Sharuum the Hegemon
1 Shield of Kaldra
1 Shimmer Myr
1 Silas Renn, Seeker Adept
1 Skullclamp
1 Slobad, Goblin Tinkerer
1 Sol Ring
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Soul of New Phyrexia
1 Sphinx Summoner
1 Steelshaper's Gift
1 Stoneforge Mystic
1 Stonehewer Giant
1 Swiftfoot Boots
1 Sword of Kaldra
1 Sword of the Animist
1 Sword of the Meek
1 Thirst for Knowledge
1 Thopter Foundry
1 Thoughtcast
1 Thran Dynamo
1 Time Sieve
1 Trash for Treasure
1 Trinket Mage
1 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Utter End
1 Vedalken Engineer
1 Whispersilk Cloak

An-Det

As it turns out, though, we're not looking at something where the easy WotC side answers apply. The Spring 2015 set? Dragons of Tarkir. The first 3-Block rotation? Spring 2016. None of these should be playing into the drop. So what is it then? This easy answer instead:

RG0BS1U.gif

Jeez, we all knew the GP's were more expensive now, but seeing it laid out plainly is pretty damning.

I fucking love some of the old cards, they weren't afraid to make the weirdest shit ever

I see you're doing the same commander partners as me. Here's my list:
Already saved your list when I asked for it thanks. Went for a more Akiri focused build with Silas as backup.
Code:
//Lands
1 Academy Ruins
1 Adarkar Wastes
1 Ancient Den
1 Ancient Tomb
1 Blood Crypt
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Buried Ruin
1 Cavern of Souls
1 City of Brass
1 Command Tower
1 Exotic Orchard
1 Flooded Strand
1 Gemstone Caverns
1 Godless Shrine
1 Great Furnace
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Inventors' Fair
1 Island
1 Mana Confluence
1 Mountain
2 Plains
1 Polluted Delta
1 Reflecting Pool
1 Rogue's Passage
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Seat of the Synod
1 Steam Vents
1 Swamp
1 Tolaria West
1 Vault of Whispers
1 Volrath's Stronghold
1 Watery Grave
1 Windswept Heath
1 Wooded Foothills

//Artifacts
1 Batterskull
1 Conqueror's Flail
1 Cranial Plating
1 Expedition Map
1 Fireshrieker
1 Krark-Clan Ironworks
1 Lightning Greaves
1 Loxodon Warhammer
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mask of Memory
1 Masterwork of Ingenuity
1 Mox Opal
1 Nihil Spellbomb
1 Nim Deathmantle
1 Sol Ring
1 Sunforger
1 Swiftfoot Boots
1 Sword of Body and Mind
1 Sword of Feast and Famine
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Sword of Light and Shadow
1 Sword of the Meek
1 Sword of War and Peace
1 Talisman of Dominance
1 Talisman of Progress
1 Thopter Foundry
1 Time Sieve
1 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Wayfarer's Bauble
1 Whispersilk Cloak

//Enchantments
1 Ghirapur Æther Grid
1 Rhystic Study
1 Sigarda's Aid

//Instants
1 Anguished Unmaking
1 Boros Charm
1 Counterflux
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Dispatch
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Izzet Charm
1 Orim's Thunder
1 Path to Exile
1 Render Silent
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Utter End
1 Vampiric Tutor

//Sorceries
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Fabricate
1 Steelshaper's Gift
1 Supreme Verdict

//Planeswalkers
1 Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast
1 Daretti, Scrap Savant
1 Tezzeret the Seeker
1 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas

//Creatures
1 Breya, Etherium Shaper
1 Godo, Bandit Warlord
1 Kemba, Kha Regent
1 Phyrexian Metamorph
1 Puresteel Paladin
1 Snapcaster Mage
1 Stoneforge Mystic
1 Stonehewer Giant
1 Trophy Mage

//Maybeboard
1 Basilisk Collar
1 Godsend
1 Neurok Stealthsuit
1 Padeem, Consul of Innovation
1 Skullclamp
1 Thassa, God of the Sea
trophy mage might as well be called sword mage.

I was thinking of going to GP San Jose since it's a 15 minute drive away, but 100 bucks is a lot to spend on a sealed tournament, especially if I don't really like the cards in standard.

ElyrionX

RG0BS1U.gif

Also coincides with them deciding 4mana sweepers were no longer desired and the meta shifting to creature-heavy decks.

kirblar

Playing Ulamog with actual mana would be Battlecruiser magic.

Aetherworks Marvel is more introducing sneak and show to standard.
Battlecruiser magic is everything that's not Marvel.

Being critter oriented (as in, they matter, combat matters) is fine, moving wraths to 5cc is fine. The "haymakers everywhere" approach is the problem.

What in standard is battlecruiser magic? RG Ramp previous rotation was Battlecruiser magic but GB delirium and Turbo Emrakul are the closest and she comes down as a 7 drop there pretty frequently and she's plan B for that deck anyway.

Ashodin

Jeskai Control using finishers
BG Delirium relying on Emmy and Ishkanah
UW Spirits relying on Avacyn

basically everything 5 mana and above

So spoilers start on Monday and on Friday we'll have the full set dump. That is a short ass spoiler season for a mainline set.

Their changes to the set release calendar ran into their website calendar. We'll have the next announcement day soon, curious if the next winter set shifts forward again a little.

bigkrev

Their changes to the set release calendar ran into their website calendar. We'll have the next announcement day soon, curious if the next winter set shifts forward again a little.

I just realized that Amonkhet is not going to get anything like the PAX push that Kaladesh got. I definitely remember being more excited for BFZ than I was for SOI because of the PAX stuff they did for BFZ as well

Considering how they walked back standard rotation, I wonder if we see a return to the 3 sets plus a core set block structure at some point. Having PAX to push one big set each year makes the other large set seem a lot less important, and I actually had to google to find out how rotation works now.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Finally got a group of friends together to play my foil cube. Flattened out the power level after having planeswalkers and some big fatties (Grave Titan) too powerful for anything to combat it. Very few rares made the environment much more competitive. It is made up of mostly cards from Innistrad on but I picked up a few older ones to make it more interesting for me.

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/13649

The hiccups Standard is having now doesn't remove the problems that the 3-set block + core set had. It's still the case that core sets sold badly, core sets didn't serve any audience well, they had a hard time filling up all three sets, people got tired of a world after three sets, the desire for both returns and new worlds could not be handled with just one block a year, and the story progresses more quickly now.

As far as I can tell, none of the problems we're having now would actually be solved by a return to that system. Maybe having core sets be guaranteed not to matter in Standard, but that hadn't been the case for years before the two-set paradigm. The best long term solution appears to be simply letting Wizards adjust. They're well aware now that having big threats that can't adequately be answered is having a negative effect.

On another note, we still need an Aether Revolt thread title. Perhaps Planar Bridge can lead to more inspiration.

I'm still trying to figure a Hamilton reference that is just enough on the nose. Maybe Rogue One would be easier.

|OT10| Aether Revolt - I'm one with the Aether, and the Aether is with me.

|OT10| Aether Revolt - Ghirapur Tea Party

Is any locale in Kaladesh but Ghirapur named? I feel like Kaladesh is pretty underdeveloped. Does the city even have a name?

|OT10| Aether Revolt - Liberte, Fr... something something Kaladesh

does Kaladesh have a caste system, it's india inspired after all

|OT10| Aether Revolt - Bolas is in another Castle

I'm still trying to figure a Hamilton reference that is just enough on the nose. Maybe Rogue One would be easier.

|OT10| Aether Revolt - I'm one with the Aether, and the Aether is with me.

|OT10| Aether Revolt - Ghirapur Tea Party

Is any locale in Kaladesh but Ghirapur named? I feel like Kaladesh is pretty underdeveloped. Does the city even have a name?

|OT10| Aether Revolt - Liberte, Fraternite, Castes

does Kaladesh have a caste system, it's india inspired after all

Uh, Ghirapur is the city.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom