• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's appreciate... PANG / BUSTER BROS series!

Zl10OdN.png

Welcome back everybody! For the second exciting installment we are going to take a look at the arcade classic "Pang! / Buster Bros" series. Known in the Japanese and European markets as Pang, and the North American market as Buster Bros, this series of arcade and home console games introduced a new gameplay mechanic to players back in the late 80s.

Developed by Mitchell Corporation (although its actual origins may be more mysterious, though we will look at that later), the basic gameplay style involves clearing the screen of bubbles/balloons by shooting a harpoon up in the air, until they have all split or been destroyed. Its gameplay style strangely resembles a mixture between Asteroids, Arkanoid and in some aspects, Space Invaders, as the player moves only along the bottom of the screen shooting upwards.

There are several colourful games in the series, spanning the decades since the original release, so let’s take a look at them one by one.

613WNbR.jpg

PANG / BUSTER BROS (1989) [ARCADE, VARIOUS HOME PORTS]
By taking control of 2 explorer brothers, your mission is to clear each stage of deadly bouncing balloons as you traverse across many famous landscapes all over the globe. There are 50 stages, set across 17 worlds - including Mt Fuji, Paris, London, New York and Easter Island.
Several power ups are introduced here, including multiple harpoons, grappling hooks, missiles and dynamite, as well as an hourglass to briefly stop time. Crabs, eagles and other birds occasionally fly onto the stage to cause disruption, and bonus food items can appear under certain conditions.
The two player simultaneous mode is probably remembered quite fondly, which probably attracted many players when it was first revealed in arcades across the world. A very fun title, that takes a simple mechanic and slowly adds subtly increasing stage layouts to entice the player forward.

5vTXIbc.png

Aside from the Arcade and home console ports, there was also a GameBoy version of the original Pang, that contains basically the same levels, although several features, such as the animals appear to be removed in some stages, and obviously the backgrounds are not as detailed.

0SxCcfw.png

POMPING WORLD / BUSTER BROS (1993) [PC ENGINE]

When the original Pang/Buster Bros was ported to the PC-Engine it was essentially a direct port, but included a bit of extra content. New artwork has been included for the victory screens between stages, and an additional Bee enemy appears in some levels.
the most notably update, is that it now includes 54 stages (as opposed to the original 50) where the Buster Bros head into space for a final showdown with a red-balloon (that has some sort of face).
Also of interest, the name "Inafaking" appears in the credits, which, if I am not mistaken, is likely referring to Keiji Inafune?

nPfguIk.png

SUPER PANG / SUPER BUSTER BROS (1990) [ARCADE]

The first real sequel in the Pang series. Retains much of the mechanics of the original, but the characters now wear cool backwards baseball caps (because this is the 90s!). Two modes are presented here - "Tour Mode" and "Panic Mode".
Tour Mode is basically the regular story mode, where the 2 brothers advance through 40 stages, again across the world, through various continents, defeating balloons. A few new elements have been added, such as dodecahedrons, flashing balloons, and additional monsters in the shape of baby dragons, and fire creatures that occasionally patrol the stages.
Panic Mode is an endless (well up to lvl 99) mode in which an onslaught of balloons appear and you have to see how long you can last. the background changes as your skill level advances.
A nice update to the Pang formula, but not a massive departure by any means.

wdvfEck.jpg

SUPER PANG / SUPER BUSTER BROS (1992) [SNES]

A port of Super Pang for the Super Nintendo was released in 1992. Pretty much a faithful port, but again, includes some slight additions.
The first thing of note, is that the 2 player simultaneous option is missing for some reason (unless I am mistaken), but it adds an additional difficulty option to Tour mode - "hard" or "expert" that includes 40 brand new stage layouts to play.
An additional bonus stage is unlocked between worlds also, where a power up can be obtained, and I believe it includes some exclusive monsters, such as penguins, wandering around the stages.
I also noticed that the background for the very first stage is different to the arcade version (a temple covered in blossom, rather than Hong Kong?) but the stage layout seems to be the same.
Has a couple different ending animations for each mode than the arcade version also.

jZXvDwq.png

PANG! 3 / BUSTER BUDDIES (1995) [ARCADE]

Another game in the classic Pang series, except this time around you aren't controlling the famous Pang Brothers, but instead you can choose between 4 sneaky art-thieves. Each of the 4 characters have slightly different abilities (one can shoot harpoons at 45-degree angles, one is invulnerable to stage hazards etc), but your goal is to clear all the stages and therefore steal pieces of famous art for your own personal gallery. Rather than famous landmarks for the backdrops, this time it is classic art.
The character sprites visually appear in a more pre-rendered, CGI look - possibly influenced by the success of Donkey Kong Country at the time?
As per Super Pang, we get a choice between tour mode stages, or panic mode stages. Tour mode has a simple beginner mode, with just 10 stages to try out and tutorial explanations in between. The Normal mode has 50 stages to clear, and the expert mode (than can be accessed by inputting a code) has an additional 10 stages.
New for this iteration are giant Bombs bouncing around in some stages to cause chain reaction explosions, coins that fall from destroyed blocks, a new improved temporary laser gun weapon, teleporters, conveyor belts and several new enemies such as helicopters, dogs and flying squirrels that occasionally get in the way. We can see these additional elements build up the gameplay slightly as each series goes on.
The Panic mode returns also, and in similar style to Super Pang, has an oncoming barrage of balloons to pop, slowly increasing in levels, up to 99.

S6BfJNx.png

I was initially put off by the early-CGI visuals of the main characters, but the gameplay is solid, and there does exist some 2d interpretations of the characters on the arcade marque art, in keeping with the art style of the rest of the series.

b0BJvDX.png

MIGHTY! PANG (2000) [ARCADE]

This time we return to the two Pang Brothers, albeit represented in a slightly more super deformed/cuter character aesthetic, for the early 2000s.
As with most of the games in the series, we have an option of 3 modes - "Tour Mode", "Expert Mode" and "Panic Mode".
Tour Mode sees our heroes once again globetrotting around the globe, through 57 stages set across various landmarks. Basically, the same as previous Pang games, but with a few new gimmicks introduced.
Every so often, between stages, the player will encounter a "Hurricane Accident Stage" whereby some platforms in the stage will tilt at an angle when each balloon popped, against a rainy background.
Also, Players occasionally have a choice of routes between worlds.
Some new balloons are introduced - including ones that seem to defy gravity and bounce upside down along the ceiling in inverted bounces. Some stages contain platforms that you can push around to reach higher areas, and to cross gaps. In fact, I'd say this game contains much more "puzzle / strategic-thinking" stages rather than the more action packed of the first few games. Some stages have floating clouds passing by that block your harpoons. Various weird animals this time round, including an umbrella animal, a dog, and something else that I don't know what it is. The Dog will grab onto the player if touched, hindering movement.
The Expert Mode includes 10 additional stages, with increased difficulty.
Panic Mode is similar to earlier Panic Modes, with one neat new addition. This time occasionally "seedlings" will fall from certain popped balloons. If these are not "kicked off" the screen before they sprout, they will increase the height of the ground, pushing the player slightly closer to the ceiling, and making arena smaller. Very neat gimmick actually, and a good addition to the basic gameplay to keep players on their toes.

PumqRgb.jpg

PANG MAGICAL MICHAEL (2010) [NINTENDO DS]

A whole 10 years later, a brand new Pang game appears, this time for the Nintendo DS. Entitled Pang Magical Michael, this version allows players to control a magician who has accidentally cast a magic spell causing pang balloons to appear all over the world. He must obviously clear this catastrophe by utilising the trademarked gameplay style of popping as many balloons as possible to save the world!
I haven't actually played this version, but as it is set across both screens of the Nintendo DS, it appears the stages are more vertical this time around, which may add some different elements to the gameplay.
Has anyone here played this version? If so, drop any thoughts below! ;)

zq5Bmri.png

PANG ADVENTURES (2016) [PS4/STEAM/XBOX ONE/iOS]

The most recent Pang game, and in some regards one of the best. It introduces a lot of clever new elements - such as boss characters, additional power ups, and returns to the original animal-enemies that wondered around the screen in the very first version.
The balloon variety has been ramped up also here, with lava balloons that drop lava when burst, and electric balloons that send a shock back down the harpoon once burst, so players must quickly get out of the way.
I had a lot of fun with this one.

EXesqE0.jpg

COMPILATIONS

The "Buster Bros Collection" / "Super Pang Collection" was released on the PlayStation back in 1997, and includes arcade ports of the 3 initial Pang games - Pang, Super Pang and Pang 3.

l7XUtts.png

BONUS:

CANNON BALL/BUBBLE BUSTER (1983) [MSX/SPECTRUM]

Here's something interesting. Although Pang came out in 1989 and was developed by a company called Mitchell Corporation, an actual predecessor was developed a good 6 years earlier by Hudson Soft.
A game called Cannon Ball / Bubble Buster was released for the MSX and Spectrum, and is clearly the inspiration for the Pang series.

dHSwHGf.png

There is an interview with Roy Ozaki (head of Mitchell Corporation) in the well-researched book "The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers" by John Szczepaniak, in which the question is put to Mitchell regarding the similarities between the Pang series and Hudson Soft's Cannon Ball title. From what I recall (I don't have the book to hand) the question is dodged a few times, and no clear answer was given making it all the more mysterious.

eUfjdsy.png

But what is the Hudson Soft connection? In the Japanese-only "Bomberman 64 Arcade Edition" for the Nintendo 64, developed and published by Hudson Soft, there are a series of mini games. One is clearly a reference to the Pang series - so it looks like whatever the connection is, Hudson Soft still retain the rights to the basic gameplay style after all.

4vBmK9X.jpg

So, there you have it, and entire overview of the Pang / Buster Bros series so far. Did I miss any games, let me know if I did, and congratulations for making it this far :) Feel free to drop any thoughts or memories about the series below. I'm not sure it is one of the most popular series, but a few of you might have had some experience with it over the years!

7DSZdyO.png

SECRET BONUS QUESTION

(Pang 3 seems to contain a reference in one of its stages to another classic arcade game franchise (the very same franchise I covered in my previous "Let's appreciate" thread). Can you discover what it is?)

Previous threads in this ongoing series

Let's appreciate Vol 001... BUBBLE BOBBLE series! (July 2017)

bronk

Banned
I really enjoyed the PS4 one. It goes on sale quite a bit. I want a copy of the SNES one.

I love Pang adventures, got it on appstore and Steam. Plays great. Should one day try the old ones, only seen them played.

Great co-op. Play the game with a stick.

Edit; game is also on playstore, android by the way.

SparkStar

Neo Member
Always thought it was weird that "Buster BROS" for SNES didn't have multiplayer.

I think I first played Pang emulated in Shockwave or something. It definitely used the original assets. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Andrefpvs

I have fond memories as a preschool kid of watching the "bigger kids" play one of the arcade games (Super Pang if I'm not mistaken). They found a glitch in one of the ice floor levels that made your character get stuck under the level, and you could shoot at the HUD until time ran out or the game froze. The glitch got so popular that beating the game became secondary -- the real objective was getting to the Ice levels and successfully pulling off the glitch.

I was so fascinated by it as a kid. It definitely kick-started my lifelong interest in video game glitches.

I remember a classmate introducing me to this series. Despite being into games and it having multiple entries at the time, I hadn't heard about it until that moment.

Dwayne

Pang is by far one of my favourite games, so far so I own the arcade board. I really feel like the series goes downhill after the original though, the physics change, they add heaps of garbage, and the game at it's core moves away from pure balloon popping, instead creating a focus on power ups.

You missed a compilation btw, Capcom Puzzle World on PSP features Pang/Super Pang. Sadly the audio is reworked, and there's some other changes I can't remember - not worth getting imo.

Kyrios

Holy shit OP, I was just thinking about Super Buster Bros. at work today lol

One of my favorite SNES games growing up.

Thanks for letting me know about Pang Adventures for the current platforms, buying this!

I bought the Limited Run release of Pang Adventures earlier this year. Between the time I ordered it and the time it arrived, it went really cheap on PSN, so I bought that too! It's an okay game, but I remember having more fun with the compilation on PS1.

Agent X

COMPILATIONS

The "Buster Bros Collection" / "Super Pang Collection" was released on the PlayStation back in 1997, and includes arcade ports of the 3 initial Pang games - Pang, Super Pang and Pang 3.

l7XUtts.png

I have this collection for the original PlayStation, and it's quite nice!

The same three games can also be found in Capcom Puzzle World for PSP, as Dwayne mentioned above. This collection also includes Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo and Block Block. Click here for more information.

8bit

Knows the Score
I have very fond memories of Pang 3, it was in a cab near a place I worked and I spent a lot of coins on that. Intrigued by your connection between that and the other game you featured.

Also, nice job again. I appreciate the research here.

Brunire

This is amazing. Buster Bros. was the only game i could get my wife (girlfriend at the time) to play with me. I never knew it was also called Pang, and even better, there is a version on PS4?!

You just made my week.

GamerJM

Banned
My history with this series is that when I was in the 5th grade, we were allowed to play flash games on the computers, and someone in the class introduced us to some flash game that cloned Pang (or maybe it just outright had the license or was copyright infringement, for some reason remember it being called Buster Bros), and I thought it was pretty cool and played it for a little bit. A year later I started regularly going to an arcade with a Mighty Pang cab and I realized that the series was a lot more infuriating when you're playing it in an arcade format. One careless move can lead to your death which is wasted coins.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
The only Pang I have is Super Pang for the Watara Supervision. Which I've barely played because the Supervision is a really bad system with a terrible blurry display.

marmoka

Banned
I really enjoyed playing Super Pang and Pang 3 in arcades when I was a kid.

I wish they released a collection of the Trilogy for different consoles.

The only Pang I have is Super Pang for the Watara Supervision. Which I've barely played because the Supervision is a really bad system with a terrible blurry display.

I guess you would have needed
"super vision"
to play that version then :)

(lol)

vala

I must admit, I did run into a lot of confusion working out who exactly did develop this series, and who retains the copyrights...

Do you have any extra info regarding Capcom's involvement in the series?

Sorry, no more info. But it seems Capcom owns the complete rights for some of the games...

Dwayne

Speaking of clones, I made a Pang clone for Pico-8 that you can play in your browser if you want. There's like 10-20 levels and then it turns into infinite mode.

Pango!
arrow keys, z to fire.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Barely knew about this series but great job OP -- quite interesting and enjoyed the digging in on some of he minutiae though I came in knowing nothing.

jaypah

I wonder if that Pang homage mini-game will stay in 90s Arcade Racer when/if it releases?

Also, this thread rocks. Pang/BB is always good for some pick up and play action.

woxel1

Very nostalgic for Pang 3, I fondly remember playing it on a candy cab in the basement of Hamleys in the mid 90's. Awkward pre-rendered graphics for life!

yurinka

Pang! and Super Pang! were amazing. Pang 3 was ugly as fuck.

I almost didn't play Mighty Pang but as I remember I really liked it. I didn't buy the PS4 one because I thought it was really bad.

P.S.: In Spain the company Gaelco released an amazing Pang port for pre-smartphone age J2ME phones.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I didn't care for the recent Pang game, it felt too imprecise and "physics-y" compared to the mainline Pang games.

The DS game was pretty good, art style aside. It's been a while since I played it but it's pretty much Mighty Pang 2 with a vertical orientation, from what I recall.

I had no clue there was a sequel to the arcade, let alone a ps4 version.

I'm shocked right now.

Brb , gonna go see it.

Is it still made by capcom?
Or Japanese devs?

@MUWANdo

Banned
I had no clue there was a sequel to the arcade, let alone a ps4 version.

I'm shocked right now.

Brb , gonna go see it.

Is it still made by capcom?
Or Japanese devs?

The new one? It's by PastaGames, a French studio. They also made Pix the Cat and the Rayman runner game for mobile.

SECRET BONUS QUESTION

(Pang 3 seems to contain a reference in one of its stages to another classic arcade game franchise (the very same franchise I covered in my previous "Let's appreciate" thread). Can you discover what it is?)

...And just cause I doubt anyone is going to be able to answer the SECRET BONUS QUESTION, the answer is this...

RaB1LPC.png

Stage 45 (Normal) from PANG 3 looks to be a direct homage to Stage 25 of BUBBLE BOBBLE!
(exciting!!!!!) ;)

P.S.: In Spain the company Gaelco released an amazing Pang port for pre-smartphone age J2ME phones.
This version also came to iOS in 2009, the early days of the App Store. I bought it at the time: it was a decent enough port, but touch controls were not precise enough to enjoy the game.

I almost didn't play Mighty Pang but as I remember I really liked it. I didn't buy the PS4 one because I thought it was really bad.
I didn't care for the recent Pang game, it felt too imprecise and "physics-y" compared to the mainline Pang games.
Agreed. They ignored the playoffs that had been in every game and put the balls/balloons on a physics engine. This meant that in some circumstances the balls could get stuck bouncing straight across the screen from left to right and back, without even touching the floor. That's just not Pang! The predictability of the ball boxes is an essential feature of the core gameplay.

The DS game was pretty good, art style aside. It's been a while since I played it but it's pretty much Mighty Pang 2 with a vertical orientation, from what I recall.
Agreed. The are style was OK, it was the player sprite that was bad. A direct result of the UK publisher forcing the Magical Michael character/scenario on the game.

But regardless, IMHO the DS game is by far the best in the series.

Last edited:
Top Bottom