• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War will have premium currency/loot boxes

DrBo42

As seen on today's live stream. (Not an accurate timecode, sorry. On mobile at the moment.)

Loot boxes contain orcs, specialized roles to assign them, rank upgrades, boosts for Talion etc. Keep in mind it seems like all of this can also be bought with the in-game currency of Mirian which returns from the previous game.

Mirian generation from the first game was pretty healthy considering it powered your ability to unlock runes. Here it's rewarded for missions, side activities, treasure orcs, destroying gear you receive from enemies or cards from loot boxes.

And of course you can gain orcs the normal way. No idea on the specialization or ability to send them to a new region as shown.

Fortress assault or defense abilities for your warchiefs, garrisons to bring more and your standard player upgrades also use the same in-game resource. Obviously we have no idea what the generation to use ratio will be at this point.

Personally I'm at a point with this generation that even the inclusion of a premium currency for a $60 game bothers me. I'm sure people will disagree and say the same "You don't have to buy gold or the game" line but it still bums me out. What's your breaking point with this practice?

Edit: Official announcement

Introducing the Market – Announcement

The innovative Nemesis System created unique personal stories through procedurally-generated enemies who remember every encounter and are differentiated by their personality, strengths and weaknesses. Middle-earth: Shadow of War expands this innovation with the introduction of followers who bring about entirely new stories of loyalty, betrayal and revenge. The Nemesis System is also expanded to create a unique personal world through Nemesis fortresses, which allows players to utilize different strategies to conquer dynamic strongholds and create personalized worlds with their unique Orc army.

An important aspect of the Nemesis System now comes in forging, customizing and leading your own army of unique Orc followers against the fortresses of Mordor. There are different ways to do this, including dominating Orcs by exploring the vast open-world and encountering them as part of Orc society, or players can acquire Orcs and other items through the Market (in-game store).

Through the Market, players can purchase Loot Chests, War Chests, XP Boosts and Bundles (accessed only with an internet connection).

• Loot Chests contain Gear (weapons and armor) of varying rarity. Equipping and upgrading these weapons and armor enhance Talion’s character abilities. Loot Chests can also contain XP Boosts that help level up Talion faster.
• War Chests provide Orc followers of varying rarity to help forge a strong army. They can also contain Training Orders to level up and customize Orc followers.
• XP Boosts are consumables that help level up Talion faster.
• Bundles package up Loot Chests, War Chests and Boosts together at a great value.

To purchase these items, players can spend Mirian or Gold throughout the game as one progresses. Mirian is a type of in-game currency that can be acquired by:

• Defeating Treasure Orcs
• Destroying Gear for Mirian
• Destroying Orc followers for Gear (which can be destroyed for Mirian)
• Finding Mirian stashes throughout the game

Gold is another form of in-game currency that can be used to get higher level Loot Chests, War Chests, Boosts and Bundles of the aforementioned content. Gold can be acquired by:

• Purchasing through the PlayStation Store, Xbox Store or by adding to your Steam Wallet using real money.
• Awarded in small amounts at specific milestones.
• Awarded for participating in community challenges.

Please note: No content in the game is gated by Gold. All content can be acquired naturally through normal gameplay.

What is Mirian and how do I earn it?

Mirian is a form of in-game currency that players earn by playing the game. Along with Gold, Mirian can be used to purchase Loot Chests and War Chests from the Market. Mirian can be acquired by:

Defeating Treasure Orcs
Destroying Gear for Mirian
Destroying Orc followers for Gear (which can be destroyed for Mirian)
Finding Mirian stashes throughout the game

What is Gold and how do I earn it?

Gold is a form of in-game currency awarded in small amounts at specific milestones and for participating in community challenges. It can also be purchased for real money through the PlayStation Store, Xbox Store and by adding funds to your Steam Wallet. Along with Mirian, Gold can be used to purchase Loot Chests, War Chests and Boosts from the Market.

What can I get with Gold?

Along with Mirian, players can use Gold to purchase Loot Chests that contain Gear for Talion (weapons and armor), War Chests that provide Orcs for your army of followers and Boosts that help level up Talion faster.

Do I have to pay for Gold?

No, Gold is awarded in small amounts at specific milestones and for participating in community challenges. It can also be purchased through the PlayStation Store, Xbox Store and by adding funds to your Steam Wallet using real money. Everything a player can buy with Gold can also be earned in the game over time for free, but Gold gives players the option to acquire these items faster. No Gold purchases are necessary to enjoy the complete game experience.

What do you mean when you say Gold can save time?

By simply engaging with the world and playing through Middle-earth: Shadow of War, you earn items like Gear for Talion and unique Orcs for your army. These are the same items that are found in the Market within Loot Chests and War Chests. Gold merely allows you to get your hands on them immediately, cutting down some of the additional time that would have been spent winning more battles, tracking nemeses, completing quests and assaulting fortresses.

Does Gold give me an advantage in the game?

No, Gold does not give you any advantage over other players. A player who invests enough time can progress the same amount and have access to the same content as a player who purchases Gold. Gold is not required to progress or advance in the game at all.

Are there unique items in the market purchased using Gold that you can’t get through normal play?

No, all of the aforementioned items can be earned playing through the game. Gold merely allows you to get your hands on them immediately.

How much does Gold cost?
Prices for Gold will be communicated at a later date

Why do they think people will buy this shit in single player games? I mean it's one thing if it's Assassin's Creed 4-tier grind but I'd imagine this is another example similar to Deus Ex Mankind Divided where it's completely unnecessary and only fools paid money for it.

If it's grindy and clearly designed to make money off micro transactions at a fundamental level.... All I can say is, thank god for Steam sales/key sites and cheat engine.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Why do they think people will buy this shit in single player games?

That was my confusion back when the game was unveiled and it was implied this existed.

I don't believe this stuff does especially well in Assassin's Creed.

Like, it happens certainly, but it's orders of magnitude behind multiplayer crates in terms of revenue.

Peroroncino

ugh...

giphy.gif

Guess I'm buying it used.

RockmanBN

That was my confusion back when the game was unveiled and it was implied this existed.

I don't believe this stuff does especially well in Assassin's Creed.

Like, it happens certainly, but it's orders of magnitude behind multiplayer crates in terms of revenue.
Works well in Multiplayer because you're given the ability to show it off to everyone online. Can't get that same feeling in single player games.

jrcbandit

Well this just reinforces my prior decision to wait for a good sale before purchase. I bought the first game at launch and didn't get around to playing it until a year later so I think I'll wait until I get this for 50% off or more...

epmode

WB is definitely in the running for worst publisher when it comes to shit like this. So slimy.

I've been debating a copy from GMG or cdkeys but I think I'll skip it now.

Why do they think people will buy this shit in single player games? I mean it's one thing if it's Assassin's Creed 4-tier grind but I'd imagine this is another example similar to Deus Ex Mankind Divided where it's completely unnecessary and only fools paid money for it.

If it's grindy and clearly designed to make money off micro transactions at a fundamental level.... All I can say is, thank god for Steam sales/key sites and cheat engine.

Because it worked with MKX and Injustice 2. Expect WB to mandate micro-transactions in all of their games going forward.

WB is definitely in the running for worst publisher when it comes to shit like this.

Ubisoft is pretty bad. In Ac unity you had to pay to get collectables to show up on te map, and they somehow made it worse in Syndicate making it seem like all of he collectables showed up until you found 80% and realized they didn't. Good luck finding the rest of the nondescript helix clusters. Not to mention the grindy supply micros.

DrBo42

Mirian generation from the first game was pretty healthy considering it powered your ability to unlock runes. Here it's rewarded for missions, side activities, treasure orcs, destroying gear you receive from enemies or cards from loot boxes.

MCD250

I guess they must be going pretty heavily into the orc management/tower defense/etc. aspect of the game (at least I assume they are, otherwise this stuff they're asking you to pay real money for would be pretty useless).

Primus

WB's official announcement on the Market.

So according to the article, loot boxes in the Market can be bought with either Mirian (earned in-game) or Gold (can be somewhat earned in-game, but in small quantities. Otherwise you're paying.). Better loot boxes will require Gold to open.

Loot boxes will contain gear, orcs, Training Orders (items to level up and specialize orcs), and XP boosters.

Supposedly, everything that is in the Market can also be found in-game, here's the particulars on that:

What do you mean when you say Gold can save time?

By simply engaging with the world and playing through Middle-earth: Shadow of War, you earn items like Gear for Talion and unique Orcs for your army. These are the same items that are found in the Market within Loot Chests and War Chests. Gold merely allows you to get your hands on them immediately, cutting down some of the additional time that would have been spent winning more battles, tracking nemeses, completing quests and assaulting fortresses.

Still getting downgraded from Day 1 to Wait For A Sale in my book.

DrBo42

I guess they must be going pretty heavily into the orc management/tower defense/etc. aspect of the game (at least I assume they are, otherwise this stuff they're asking you to pay real money for would be pretty useless).

Yes. The boxes include cards or tokens to really customize the army and make X dude an archer or a spearman or redeploy him to a different region.

Man, this 'but you can buy it with in-game currency!' justification is getting so old when it's obvious the market is always drastically skewered towards paying real money.

Like SFV -- 'But you can use fight money to buy the characters!*'

*if you play for 6 hours a day for thirty days a month.

hatchx

Banned
This kind of thing crushes my interest in games. Microtransactions (at loot crates considered micro?), in general, disgust me.

People will buy it and this is the year when all AAA games have it. Except for Nintendo and some PC titles.

Fact of life. The era of gambling has begun.

On a even more serious note I really think government intervention is in order. This has gone too far and is out of control. These games are marketed towards kids and teens while avoiding all gambling regulation and law.

You got a leader, supporting units, battle commands, xp boosts, equipment, all with different rarity in the boxes from what I see in the video. Lots of customization through this currency that you can get just playing the game BUT the fact that this is a thing means they have to weigh between self satisfaction vs paying for boxes and these are ALWAYS done to make more $$.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The entire idea of loot boxes, especially in a not-free single player game, is such a massive turnoff for me. Insulting, even.

I wasn't going to buy this game anyway, since the previous game had the most brainless gameplay ever combined with a completely uninteresting story.

Nosgoth

Neo Member
We have CE, who would pay with real money in a single player game?

Unless they make this always online, then I wouldn't buy this game.

DrBo42

You got a leader, supporting units, battle commands, xp boosts, equipment, all with different rarity in the boxes from what I see in the video. Lots of customization through this currency that you can get just playing the game BUT the fact that this is a thing means they have to weigh between self satisfaction vs paying for boxes and these are ALWAYS done to make more $$.

Bonus negative is just by having any of this it's going to pull me out of that world. An orc selling me loot boxes? I want to craft a story or set of experiences for myself with the nemesis system and not think about "Oh I need to farm 1000 Mirian for a chance to make Uk-bug a legendary marksman instead of a defender." All while the orc in the shop rubs his greedy hands together.

kevin1025

Banned
For a single player game, this sort of stuff never really bothered me. But at the same time, I won't be touching any of it.

I'm excited for the game, but it'll be a solid summer sale game. October is the craziest month in a long while.

Top Bottom