• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile Xbox One releasing 8/24? Achievements are up also

edit: Confirmed by GGG

https://www.windowscentral.com/path-exile-fall-oriath-will-hit-xbox-one-august-24

Game Description: You may pre-download this game, but it will not be playable until release date (08/24/2017 – 2:00 PM).

Earn devastating skills and valuable items as you fight your way through the dark continent of Wraeclast. With unrivaled character customization, Path of Exile is an award-winning online Action RPG created by hardcore gamers, for hardcore gamers.

The ultimate starter pack to begin your journey through Wraeclast. Includes 200 points, the First Blood Weapon Effect and an Extra Stash Tab

https://majornelson.com/2017/08/16/...-download-on-xbox-one/?linkId=100000000766673

Protip: BUY A STASH TAB. Game is free, absolutely and utterly amazing, and the stash tab will help you out and you'll be giving a little something to some amazing developers.

Achievements also up:

https://www.trueachievements.com/n29418/path-of-exile-achievement-list-revealed

82 achievements. Some of those...

Exile me to Wraeclast if old

Drazgul

Doesn't the Xbox version get better trading tools right from the get go, as well? I restarted playing with 3.0 and the crappy trading is really the only negative aspect of the game for me. Other than that, by far the best f2p game I've ever tried, easily rivaling and in some parts even exceeding paid games of the genre.

Doesn't the Xbox version get better trading tools right from the get go, as well? I restarted playing with 3.0 and the crappy trading is really the only negative aspect of the game for me. Other than that, by far the best f2p game I've ever tried, easily rivaling and in some parts even exceeding paid games of the genre.

Not too sure actually. Agreed on the best f2p game part; GGG are some of the best developers I've ever seen.

xuchu

Amazingly deep arpg and looking to come back for 3.0 on PC after having not played for a good two years. Haven't really kept up with the xbox release but wow that UI looks incredibly different. It worked for diablo though so I'm sure it will work here.

But you can only equip 4 flasks at a time? opposed to the 5 on PC. What else is different? Surprised it's coming out so soon.

TheKeyPit

Banned
They better have fixed every single bug from the Beta.

Amazingly deep arpg and looking to come back for 3.0 on PC after having not played for a good two years. Haven't really kept up with the xbox release but wow that UI looks incredibly different. It worked for diablo though so I'm sure it will work here.

But you can only equip 4 flasks at a time? opposed to the 5 on PC. What else is different? Surprised it's coming out so soon.
You can equip 5 on Xbox.

Source: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/TheKeyPit/screenshot/6974250 (my screenshot)

i didn't get a chance to play any of the beta, but i am still very much looking forward to this after being super disappointed by Marvel Heroes on PS4

Cartho

I pre-ordered this "First Blood"-Bundle. It includes 200 points. What can I do with them?

So the points are used to buy account upgrades like stash tabs etc and also cosmetic items. You can put cosmetics in every gear slot - there's like a separate character equipment window for cosmetics. In addition, there are other cosmetics which give effects, think glowing demonic wings, footprints which glow with molten fire, weapon glow effects, loads of stuff.

Apart from extra stash tabs and stuff, NONE of the paid stuff is necessary for the game. It is 100% not pay to win and if you don't care about cosmetics or extra stash slots then it's entirely F2P.

I cannot wait for launch. It runs so badly on my PC that I don't want to play it there and I've already sunk almost 20 hours into the Xbox Beta. It's the kind of game where, on PC at least, people have put thousands of hours in. It's basically the best ARPG on the market and a game you can sink vast amounts of time into. For free.

Raide

I pre-ordered this "First Blood"-Bundle. It includes 200 points. What can I do with them?

Mostly cosmetic items but the single best use of points is more stash tabs. As you get deeper and deeper into PoE, you will be crying out for more stash space.

Cartho

You can also buy special stash tabs which are colour coded / designed for certain things, so tabs which only hold crafting materials etc. This helps you to organise your stuff more effectively.

TheKeyPit

Banned
So the points are used to buy account upgrades like stash tabs etc and also cosmetic items. You can put cosmetics in every gear slot - there's like a separate character equipment window for cosmetics. In addition, there are other cosmetics which give effects, think glowing demonic wings, footprints which glow with molten fire, weapon glow effects, loads of stuff.

Apart from extra stash tabs and stuff, NONE of the paid stuff is necessary for the game. It is 100% not pay to win and if you don't care about cosmetics or extra stash slots then it's entirely F2P.

I cannot wait for launch. It runs so badly on my PC that I don't want to play it there and I've already sunk almost 20 hours into the Xbox Beta. It's the kind of game where, on PC at least, people have put thousands of hours in. It's basically the best ARPG on the market and a game you can sink vast amounts of time into. For free.
Thanks, but how many points do these things cost?

Eridani

It will have a different trading system, but I'm not sure I'd call it better. It will be the one currently used in the Chinese version of PoE (source), described here.

Basically, the way it works on PC outside of China is:
- The seller lists the item in a public stash tab or using a 3rd party program, either setting the price or letting the buyer offer the price.
- Buyers can search for the item on poe.trade.
- When someone decides to buy the item, they click the whisper button on poe.trade and paste that into the chat.
- The buyer and seller execute the sale manually.

So it's a pretty good system, except that the sale has to be executed manually, which is a bit of a pain.

While the xbox version will look like this:
- The seller lists the item in a public stash tab. You obviously can't use 3rd party programs. You apparently can't set the price (not really 100% sure on this - maybe you can still set the minimum/buyout price).
- Buyers can search for the item in the game itself, but the search tools are much worse. Poe.trade lets you search for specific values of affixes, while this just lets you search for affix itself. This means it's much harder to find items you want.
- When someone decides to buy the item, they set the price they want to offer and the seller gets a notification where he can either accept or decline the offer. If he accepts the trade is executed.

So you get the minor convenience of trades being executed manually and not having to talk to people (poe.trade pretty much automates this part tbh, since you're just pasting the whisper it generates into the chat), but searching for items is much harder. You'll also very likely need to buy a premium tab stash for $1 if you want to sell items, unless they plan to change the micro transactions on the xbox version.

danowat

Banned
I couldn't get my head around this game, it seems like a poor D3 clone (in terms of actual gameplay) but with a really indepth, almost to the point of it being a spreadsheet simulator, upgrade tree and modding system.

Felt like I was missing something...........

Raide

I couldn't get my head around this game, it seems like a poor D3 clone (in terms of actual gameplay) but with a really indepth, almost to the point of it being a spreadsheet simulator, upgrade tree and modding system.

Diablo 3 has a much quicker payoff. You get to see cool abilities and get cool gear early on and fairly requently. PoE is a slow progressive burn that really only gets interesting once you have amassed a good amount of skill gems in order to make some of the stranger builds. It's also interesting to find an orange legendary item and making a build that focuses around that. Again, many of them take a good amount of time to become fruitful.

I find combat in D3 way more satisfying but I also like the PoE style of slow time sink and the depth of customisation.

nyttyn

Neo Member

They're far far far worse, frankly.

No need to rely on a third party site which is nice, but it's really basic. you can search for item base type (ex: iron greaves, vaal axe), but you can't like...search for a pair of boots with 40+ lightning resist on them, you'll get every single damn pair of boots.

oh yeah also you can only make an offer on an item. it's up to the seller to sort through all the offers and accept one. and since sellers names arent listed you can't just pm them to buy it directly or anything.

also you can only start trading at level 70. that part might be dropped since as far as i'm aware it's an anti botting mechanism. but yeah over-all china's system blows chunks, and I wouldn't expect major improvements for the xbox one version due to the fact it blows chunks on purpose.

"”We don't want trade to be too convenient. We've seen what happens in other games, and also in our own game, when trade is too easy. It lets people bypass content way too quickly,"" - Chris Wilson (lead designer, cofounder)

Eridani

It's not trying to be a D3 clone. It's basically a Diablo 2 sequel that went into another direction than Diablo 3. D3 was all about streamlining the genre and making the gameplay smoother/more satisfying.

On the other hand, PoE takes takes D2 as a base and improves it in the different ways. The massive skill tree improves theory crafting and makes coming up with character builds much more interesting. It also adds a deep and comprehensive endgame which D2 was kind of lacking. And it makes the high level gameplay crazier/more satisfying, since movement skills give you a lot of mobility and there's a ton of enemies everywhere, so you're basically zipping through the map at crazy speeds murdering everything. Some of the bosses are also pretty great, since you have to dodge like crazy if you're not overgeared to a crazy extent. Then there's also things like timed leagues, which bring in a more competitive aspect.

D3 and PoE are basically two different approaches to making a D2 sequel, each focusing on improving different parts of D2.

danowat

Banned
Diablo 3 has a much quicker payoff. You get to see cool abilities and get cool gear early on and fairly requently. PoE is a slow progressive burn that really only gets interesting once you have amassed a good amount of skill gems in order to make some of the stranger builds. It's also interesting to find an orange legendary item and making a build that focuses around that. Again, many of them take a good amount of time to become fruitful.

I find combat in D3 way more satisfying but I also like the PoE style of slow time sink and the depth of customisation.

AKA Give it more time

Not sure yet what to think of the game. I got to level 22 or so and it kept me coming back to but I also started to notice it becoming rather repetitive after a while. Hoping it picks up later. I got to act 2.

But it's free, right? Sure as hell I'm gonna give this a good whirl next week.

Raide

Not sure yet what to think of the game. I got to level 22 or so and it kept me coming back to but I also started to notice it becoming rather repetitive after a while. Hoping it picks up later. I got to act 2.

But it's free, right? Sure as hell I'm gonna give this a good whirl next week.

Yeah, the later acts do get more varied. Much of the game really starts when you finish the game and restart on the harder settings. Many more items and skill gems to play with.

Leezard

Yeah, the later acts do get more varied. Much of the game really starts when you finish the game and restart on the harder settings. Many more items and skill gems to play with.

From the 3.0 update and onwards, you don't actually restart the game on harder settings now. You revisit some changed old areas but it's all part of the story now.

Raide

From the 3.0 update and onwards, you don't actually restart the game on harder settings now. You revisit some changed old areas but it's all part of the story now.

What, what? No new difficulties? So the load of new chapters are remixes of the old? Not played PC version is a while.

Leezard

What, what? No new difficulties? So the load of new chapters are remixes of the old? Not played PC version is a while.

Yeah. They removed the cruel/merciless difficulties. You get elemental resistance penalties as part of the story now. Act 5 is completely new and act 6-10 are the old areas but quite a bit of time later, so they are changed a lot and you don't retread them in the same way as before. Quite a bit of the terrain and map types that were exclusive to maps are now part of the story.

Raide

Yeah. They removed the cruel/merciless difficulties. You get elemental resistance penalties as part of the story now. Act 5 is completely new and act 6-10 are the old areas but quite a bit of time later, so they are changed a lot and you don't retread them in the same way as before. Quite a bit of the terrain and map types that were exclusive to maps are now part of the story.

Hmm.... I guess I will have to try it out to see how it goes but I don't like the sound of that. I loved games where you start fresh and tackle a harder setting. So chapter 10 is the hardest chapter and then that's it?

Leezard

Hmm.... I guess I will have to try it out to see how it goes but I don't like the sound of that. I loved games where you start fresh and tackle a harder setting. So chapter 10 is the hardest chapter and then that's it?

Once you finish Act 10 you can start with the real endgame, maps. You get an intro to maps as part of the story epilogue now. Maps eventually lead to end game bosses that not every build can handle.

You can scale up the difficulty by a lot with maps. Level 84/85 are the levels of the end game maps while the final story areas in act 10 are around level 68.

Raide

Once you finish Act 10 you can start with the real endgame, maps. You get an intro to maps as part of the story epilogue now. Maps eventually lead to end game bosses that not every build can handle.

You can scale up the difficulty by a lot with maps. Level 84/85 are the levels of the end game maps while the final story areas in act 10 are around level 68.

Interested. Only did a few maps in my time. Much preferred the Diablo style of redoing chapters to find stuff!

The Races and seasons in PoE was fun as well. Hopefully they keep that going for the console versions as well.

Once it appears on Xbox One full, I will try it again and see how the changes suit me.

There are 10 acts? Holy crap. Well that's nice.

Snoopycat

Banned
Cool. I enjoyed the beta but I didn't play much because I read that character progression was going to be wiped. I'm surprised it's coming out so soon. I wonder if I'll have to delete the beta and re-download or not.

Tovarisc

That's very true.

If you don't do all possible dialogue and lore interaction in the world you can pretty much clear 1 act / play session if you have decent gear and build. Maybe something to do with PoE? Once in a while blast one act until all done and then blast maps now and then?

Drazgul

It will have a different trading system, but I'm not sure I'd call it better. It will be the one currently used in the Chinese version of PoE (source), described here.

Basically, the way it works on PC outside of China is:

- The buyer and seller execute the sale manually.

That last part is exactly my problem with it, not only having to spam whispers on the off-chance the seller is responsive/still has the item, but also need to join their instance and physically do the transaction. The need for an external third party website to me seems stupid, too.

I can understand the devs' point about not wanting to make it too easy since everything revolves around gear in the end, but there's other ways to combat that than just making trading frustratingly cumbersome. As is, I don't even bother with trading and I'm effectively playing SFF because of it.

Handy Fake

The true Diablo 2 sequel. It's criminally good and I hope for you guys that the XBone version is good.

This.

I'm currently in Act 9 and the new system is amazing. It takes a bit of getting used to though - I'm used to farming certain areas in Merciless and now I'm going to have to rethink my whole world. Hehe.

Eridani

That last part is exactly my problem with it, not only having to spam whispers on the off-chance the seller is responsive/still has the item, but also need to join their instance and physically do the transaction. The need for an external third party website to me seems stupid, too.

I can understand the devs' point about not wanting to make it too easy since everything revolves around gear in the end, but there's other ways to combat that than just making trading frustratingly cumbersome. As is, I don't even bother with trading and I'm effectively playing SFF because of it.

I mean, I don't really trade much, but every time I sold something the act of actually physically doing the transaction only took about 30 seconds, so it's not that big of a deal. The point about sellers not responding/not having the item any more is a big pain, but it doesn't seem like the other trading system actually solves that - it only seems like it would make it worse. You'll first have to spend a lot of time just finding the item you want with the much worse search system, and then the seller can still just decide to ignore you. The need for a 3rd party website is conceptually stupid, but it doesn't really make much practical difference at the moment, apart from the site being a bit slow.

I'm not saying the current trading system is great, but if you're hoping for the xbox version to make trading easy, you'll probably be disappointed.

Handy Fake

Just another word on this for everyone a bit overawed by the skilltree and wotnot; don't be alarmed by it.

Just level your character organically depending on what you want at the time, the early and even mid-stages don't really require anything formative.

Once you get to the later stages, you'll have a handle on what's going on, you'll know what kind of gear you have or can expect, and you get a ton of respec points anyway. Just let it grow organically.

I;d probably play Solo Self Found (SSF) to start with just to get to grips with it all. I play it exclusively as I'm not one for trading. I'm a loot whore.

Have they ever said whether this is a timed exclusive or not?

It will most likely be a time exclusive, my guess would be about 6-months to a year.

I didn't get into this on PC but will probably give the xbox version a run, willing to play with whoever else ends up getting it.

Camwi

It will most likely be a time exclusive, my guess would be about 6-months to a year.

I didn't get into this on PC but will probably give the xbox version a run, willing to play with whoever else ends up getting it.

Similar to Neverwinter Online, then. Cool.

Similar to Neverwinter Online, then. Cool.

Neverwinter was more like a year and a half (around there somewhere) and had a terrible release on PS4 because of a ton of void content; it's like releasing WoW on a console with many expansions out which make lots of content void, i.e. people won't spent lots of time grinding Tier 1 gear when Tier 4 gear is out, etc. They did this because they're small developers and could only work on one version at the time.

GGG are much, much smaller developers. So, I wouldn't get your hope up for a fast port.

On topic: what's everyone's favorite builds? Cyclone here.

Handy Fake

Neverwinter was more like a year and a half (around there somewhere) and had a terrible release on PS4 because of a ton of void content; it's like releasing WoW on a console with many expansions out which make lots of content void, i.e. people won't spent lots of time grinding Tier 1 gear when Tier 4 gear is out, etc. They did this because they're small developers and could only work on one version at the time.

GGG are much, much smaller developers. So, I wouldn't get your hope up for a fast port.

On topic: what's everyone's favorite builds? Cyclone here.

I don't tend to do "builds", I let mine evolve according to the gear I pick up. Currently fartarsing about with an Arc-powered Witch Occultist doing untold damage in Oriath.

Top Bottom