• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| #4TheDiabloPlayers

Aren117

My only problem with this game is that if you fucked your spec up then you have to pay or wait to next patch to reapec.

You farm Orb of Regret, they are available as soon as Act 2 (iirc) to buy from a vendor on the town for 2 Orb of Scouring (these can be bought too, it's like a big trade chain)

GenericUser

This game is golden. I probably played more then 15h in total on the weekend and it's getting better and better. You can definitely see that this game is made by people who genuinely care about the product and knew and know what there are doing. It shows how much passion and thought they put into this game. I'm only in act 3 and I already feel like a god and it's sooooo damn addicting to just plow through enemy horde after enemy horde and tweek and tune your character to your liking.

I'm playing an elemental mage with chain lighnings and it's a fest for the eye to see the monsters basically exploding in line when I cast my spells.
As many others said I also do recommend using a build guide unless you have endless patience and an endless amount of time to play at your hand. I used this website: https://www.poebuilds.cc/ , seems like one of the most comprehensive build-collection websites for this game.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This game is golden. I probably played more then 15h in total on the weekend and it's getting better and better. You can definitely see that this game is made by people who genuinely care about the product and knew and know what there are doing. It shows how much passion and thought they put into this game. I'm only in act 3 and I already feel like a god and it's sooooo damn addicting to just plow through enemy horde after enemy horde and tweek and tune your character to your liking.

I'm playing an elemental mage with chain lighnings and it's a fest for the eye to see the monsters basically exploding in line when I cast my spells.
As many others said I also do recommend using a build guide unless you have endless patience and an endless amount of time to play at your hand. I used this website: https://www.poebuilds.cc/ , seems like one of the most comprehensive build-collection websites for this game.

Thanks for the link! I got the 'Shadow Trickster' off the main site where that links to from a recommendation in here and I'm really enjoying it so far. Mowing mobs down with Soulrend, or dropping them in a big pile all at once with debuffs and Bane is so satisfying.

Since you're in Act 3...

When you're on the final level in the tower, working your way to the boss, keep your eyes peeled, there will be a female NPC in a cage (usually just outside the boss door). You open the cage and free her, that unlocks a 7th character class called the Scion. She is kind of futuristic looking and reminds me of something you would see in Star Wars The Old Republic MMO. In fact, the skill gem she starts with, looks like a lightsaber throw. She also starts in the very center of the passive skill tree, and can choose any path to take. I guess they cleverly Incorporated her that way to unlock, since she's a pretty advanced character to play.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The game truly does feel like a love letter to Diablo 2 from the music in the very first Act's town, to the intentional game design mechanics. It's like they took the old school Gauntlet (mowing down tons of mobs), mixed it with Diablo 2, and added their own spin with skill gems along with the massive "shared" passives tree.

Everything felt a little overwhelming at first, but now after spending almost a heavy week on it, things are starting to 'click'. It was mainly relearning the ARPG lingo/acronyms again. I wasn't feeling the "skills through gems" initially due to how massive everything is when coming into the game this far along in it's tenure, not to mention being used to skills mainly through specific class trees. But now, everything is settling in just right. All the combinations truly makes for an insane variety in character builds.

I jumped out of the current League and went to the standard game for my first real play-through. I didn't want to be overwhelmed with that style of 'challenges play' when I was brand new to the game. It was a great decision that worked out well for me. The economy is brand new in either league on the PS4, so it all works out.

I do hope the Memory Nexus from the current league makes it over to the standard game, which it probably will, just as some of the other features that are in there from past leagues. They seemed to draw inspiration from the new 'God of War' with their Memory Nexus art design, it looks just like the Bifrost Realm travel in that regards. Quite enjoyed my short playtime with it, so definitely looking forward to when they add it to the standard game.

Just completed Part 1-Act 5 last night, but yet to travel to Part 2. Currently Lvl 52 as well, so yeah, this game has seen some exclusive playtime, my backlog weeps.

This is by far the best F2P game I've personally ever played. Every other one that I've tried I put down very early and never play them again. But this one, I'm playing like I just spent $60 on it, the amount of content they offer easily rivals that of full price AAA games. I'm enjoying myself so much with it, that I'm seriously considering throwing them some supporter cash, and I've never done that for a free game model before. It also helps that they are set up quite proper in this already fun game.

Last edited:

Neofire

Love this game, scratches my Baldur's gate itche. Only problem I have is that the insane amount of money you need to spend to buy coins, especially when I figured I would contribute to the games developers for a very good title but those prices are a bit much.

Last edited:
The game truly does feel like a love letter to Diablo 2 from the music in the very first Act's town, to the intentional game design mechanics. It's like they took the old school Gauntlet (mowing down tons of mobs), mixed it with Diablo 2, and added their own spin with skill gems along with the massive "shared" passives tree.

Everything felt a little overwhelming at first, but now after spending almost a heavy week on it, things are starting to 'click'. It was mainly relearning the ARPG lingo/acronyms again. I wasn't feeling the "skills through gems" initially due to how massive everything is when coming into the game this far along in it's tenure, not to mention being used to skills mainly through specific class trees. But now, everything is settling in just right. All the combinations truly makes for an insane variety in character builds.

I jumped out of the current League and went to the standard game for my first real play-through. I didn't want to be overwhelmed with that style of 'challenges play' when I was brand new to the game. It was a great decision that worked out well for me. The economy is brand new in either league on the PS4, so it all works out.

I do hope the Memory Nexus from the current league makes it over to the standard game, which it probably will, just as some of the other features that are in there from past leagues. They seemed to draw inspiration from the new 'God of War' with their Memory Nexus art design, it looks just like the Bifrost Realm travel in that regards. Quite enjoyed my short playtime with it, so definitely looking forward to when they add it to the standard game.

Just completed Part 1-Act 5 last night, but yet to travel to Part 2. Currently Lvl 52 as well, so yeah, this game has seen some exclusive playtime, my backlog weeps.

This is by far the best F2P game I've personally ever played. Every other one that I've tried I put down very early and never play them again. But this one, I'm playing like I just spent $60 on it, the amount of content they offer easily rivals that of full price AAA games. I'm enjoying myself so much with it, that I'm seriously considering throwing them some supporter cash, and I've never done that for a free game model before. It also helps that they are set up quite proper in this already fun game.

I fell in love with it so hard, that I bought the assassin and sunspire supporter packs.

Love this game, scratches my Baldur's gate itche. Only problem I have is that the insane amount of money you need to spend to buy coins, especially when I figured I would contribute to the games developers for a very good title but those prices are a bit much.
There's a $30 supporter pack that gets you $50 in currency and a few cosmetics. Plenty of in game coins to buy a premium stash bundle, currency tab, and a quad tab.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

There's a $30 supporter pack that gets you $50 in currency and a few cosmetics. Plenty of in game coins to buy a premium stash bundle, currency tab, and a quad tab.

That Sunspire portal and weapon effect look so cool. Both those packs look fantastic in game. They also recently added some piratey spectre/corsair stuff that looks really rad as well.

If I do spend on this, it will be mainly for the QoL improvements such as the premium and specialized tabs. I figured all of them added up would be a full priced game, plus you get skin bonuses as well in supporter packs as you mentioned. I am definitely getting my "money's worth" now playing for free. This game seems to have more gameplay content than a lot of AAA games, ones that released recently from big scamming pubs to boot. I see sales happen quite often as well, and they are not just junk on sale but actual good stuff.

Last edited:
That Sunspire portal and weapon effect look so cool. Both those packs look fantastic in game. They also recently added some piratey spectre/corsair stuff that looks really rad as well.

If I do spend on this, it will be mainly for the QoL improvements such as the premium and specialized tabs. I figured all of them added up would be a full priced game, plus you get skin bonuses as well in supporter packs as you mentioned. I am definitely getting my "money's worth" now playing for free. This game seems to have more gameplay content than a lot of AAA games, ones that released recently from big scamming pubs to boot. I see sales happen quite often as well, and they are not just junk on sale but actual good stuff.
Quad tab is a lifesaver to use a farming sorting table. Inv full? Portal to town, dump everything into the quad, portal back and pickup more loot. Rinse and repeat. Then you can sort through and identify or sell shit later in town.

After a month with this game on PS4, it's fair to say that POE has completely ruined Diablo for me. The layers and layers to this game are amazing, and I'm learning something new every single day.

klosos

New Update - Legion -

New season starts on the 7th June for PC - 10th June for Console

From WCCFTECH- https://wccftech.com/path-of-exiles-legion-expansion-enhance-melee-combat/
Melee Combat Revamp
We’ve addressed most of the core issues with melee combat in Path of Exile. You can now cancel attack animations after they deal their damage. Movement skills are now all instant, and new low-level movement skills have been added for many classes. All melee attacks can now hit multiple adjacent enemies. The animation system has been overhauled, the monster targeting rules improved, and accuracy is no longer capped at 95%. There are more changes to melee combat than are possible to list here, but these changes plus a rebalance of most melee skills create an entirely new combat experience.
Of course, there’s a lot more content and fixes packed in Legion. Read on to find out what Grinding Gear Games has in store for this expansion.

Path of Exile: Legion
Trapped for thousands of years in the Domain of Timeless Conflict, the mightiest military leaders of Wraeclast’s history have been fighting an eternal war. In Path of Exile: Legion, you will free their legions from the endless battle and defeat them in combat to earn their valuable rewards.
Path of Exile’s June expansion contains the Legion challenge league, new items, new gems, a game-wide overhaul of melee combat, and much, much more.
Timeless Monoliths
As you explore Wraeclast in the Legion league, you’ll discover Monoliths. Tag these to reveal an ancient conflict between multiple Legions, frozen in time. Untether monsters by dealing damage to them, but be prepared to fight those monsters when the effect of the Monolith wears off. As certain monsters are powerful and drop valuable items, Legion grants you full control over risk and reward.
Early Game Monster Rebalance
With all the melee combat improvements, players can now dodge out of the way of attacks easily. We have taken advantage of this by rebalancing monster attacks that used to have poor signalling to now have a wind-up. This rebalance extends to improving monster AI and boss fights throughout the early campaign.
New Build Archetypes
The new Blood and Sand Gladiator archetype can switch between Blood Stance and Sand Stance, dynamically modifying the function of new and existing skills. The new Rage Berserker archetype revamps the Rage system and introduces new skills that generate or consume Rage. These powerful archetypes and their new skills offer additional options for many other Path of Exile builds.
Powerful New Items
Alongside 14 new Divination Cards, Path of Exile: Legion contains 12 new unique items for you to discover. In addition, we have chosen 15 existing unique items that are themed around Legion’s five armies and have rebalanced them so that they have become powerful rewards to find in the new league.

looks Great , my make a new duel wielding berserker toetamic Slam build again , or might go for a cold totem build , god choices and more choices.

I cant wait

klosos

Also the new supporter packs are out , ( this is by far the best) i might have to throw some money down on this. its very expensive its $60 or £44.99 but Grinding Gear games have earned my money and support

nRUyahh.png

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
After a month with this game on PS4, it's fair to say that POE has completely ruined Diablo for me. The layers and layers to this game are amazing, and I'm learning something new every single day.
Never get this posts why not enjoy both?
Not that i can since PoE is F2P and F2P is aids.

Spukc

Elaborate?
I would ditch d3 in a heartbeat if PoE was 60 bucks.
No inapp f2p bs.

It's just a moral standard i set. I like to buy games that don't try to nickle and dime me. That includes buying inventory space.

Handy Fake

I would ditch d3 in a heartbeat if PoE was 60 bucks.
No inapp f2p bs.

It's just a moral standard i set. I like to buy games that don't try to nickle and dime me. That includes buying inventory space.
It's only inventory space that you probably need... I'm not sure what you're getting at. You;re getting a free, expansive, deep game with constant updates for nothing and you're pissy about giving the devs a few dollars here and there?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's only inventory space that you probably need... I'm not sure what you're getting at. You;re getting a free, expansive, deep game with constant updates for nothing and you're pissy about giving the devs a few dollars here and there?

And if you just throw them $60, you get all the inventory space you really need, and it's just like basically buying another game considering that all the content updates are free.

I understand animosity towards most F2P game models, but this game does everything right in that regard.

I have yet to throw money towards this game, but I feel when I do (since I am out of space now, lol) it is well deserved just as a full price game of this genre with similar content production. In fact, it is arguably more so considering that they're constantly updating loot, gear, and content where as other $60 games are no longer getting updates of this nature.

Last edited:

Handy Fake

I tend to give them 10-20 bucks every time I enjoy a new league anyway, despite not needing the points I get from it. It's pretty damn cheap for the quality/amount of entertainment I get out of it to be honest.
Well that's it, exactly.
Plus you can play perfectly well without spending a penny. If you get into it then yes, throw them some coin here and there to make things a bit easier and spruce your character up. Although to be honest I like rocking the skins the Uniques give anyway.

I think about $20 is all you really need, and I say that as someone who's spent >$500 at this point.

Looking forward to this season. Really excited about the animation changes, which has always been my biggest gripe (compared to D3 or even Grim Dawn.)

I need to find some time to get my teeth into this. Loved D3, played a little of PoE on PC. Curious to see the transition to console.

Incidentally, this is a great 1-hour talk about the game's business model and history. If you like this sort of content then the GDC channel has a ton of it.

Shouta

Synthesis was pretty bleh so I'm happy to see Legion might be a better content update. I ended up playing Grim Dawn for awhile because of it. I highly recommend that game for folks that are interested in a game with the heart of D2 and wants it to be offline or the current PoE season isn't your thing.

Spukc

I need to find some time to get my teeth into this. Loved D3, played a little of PoE on PC. Curious to see the transition to console.

Incidentally, this is a great 1-hour talk about the game's business model and history. If you like this sort of content then the GDC channel has a ton of it.

Great video and it exactly explains why i hate this F2P stuff.
They are not selling a game they are selling a service.
And they don't want old diablo 2 fans they want people that keep buying skins.
The more content they release however the more they will alienate new users. So the harder it will be to grow.

this game is so wrong

I'm not sure I agree that more content alienates new fans, and most iso aRPG fans are conditioned for seasons at this point.

Plus, as much as they want people to buy skins, they have never punished people who at least willing to throw them $10.

That said, the GGG model isn't all rainbows and unicorns imho.

The pace at which they chase the whales isn't always great for the game and exhausting for someone who doesn't play PoE exclusively.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I have not spent a dime on this game, and I am not locked out of any content the game provides akin to paying $60 for a game that is finite.

I do not take part in the leagues either, and just enjoy the content when it gets patched into the regular game.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
The more content they release however the more they will alienate new users. So the harder it will be to grow.

this game is so wrong

You are not forced to buy a thing. The store is cosmetic only

Handy Fake

this game is so wrong
Maybe if you play it first you'll understand, because with all due respect what you're saying doesn't make any sense in the context of this game.

Spukc

Maybe if you play it first you'll understand, because with all due respect what you're saying doesn't make any sense in the context of this game.
I did play on pc day 1 and xbox one x. I just really really hate F2P shit in games.
I am super happy that you enjoy your game. Go play some more.
But don't think any other gamers esp older ones are sick of f2p / GAAS stuff.

Handy Fake

I did play on pc day 1 and xbox one x. I just really really hate F2P shit in games.
I am super happy that you enjoy your game. Go play some more.
But don't think any other gamers esp older ones are sick of f2p / GAAS stuff.
Well, like I say; it's a free game. It's a brilliant game. It's constantly updated and expanded. You have the option to buy cosmetics to fund the development, or not. You have a good enough stash to begin with to play without issue. But if you really get into the game, that's when you might want to expand your stash and quite honestly I don't see anyone who has put hours and hours into a FREE game they love minding throwing some money the dev's way for extra stash tabs.

I just think you're missing out on a brilliant game because of some skewed sense of their business model.
Just FYI, I'm fervently against such practices unless they're done properly, and this is done properly. I'm also 40 and old this year.

Last edited:
I'm sure some get away with spending nothing at all.

But if you actually play beyond story to the point where you are farming and whatnot...

Then, you have to be wasting a lot of time micromanaging your inv without a stash tab or a dozen. :messenger_squinting_tongue:

Handy Fake

I'm sure some get away with spending nothing at all.

But if you actually play beyond story to the point where you are farming and whatnot...

Then, you have to be wasting a lot of time micromanaging your inv without a stash tab or a dozen. :messenger_squinting_tongue:
Or, like me, you're a loot whore with no concept of organisation. :D

Fuz

Banned
It would be a good game, but I really hate that:

- You lose XP when you die (after a certain point in the story). Got to some boss when at 70% XP? TOO BAD, FUCKER! It's either you go back farming that 30% or easily lose all your progress. Stupid, anachronistic design.
- No AH, you'll have to resort to a website to find people to trade. This is idiotic.
- No gold and resources are kinda weird and complicated. I'm at lvl 60, my chest is a mess and still don't know if I should use some of them, wait for better equipment or just trash them.
- Incredibly complicated skill tree and a severe lack of respec points mean that you can (and will, if you don't follow a guide) fuck up BADLY and permanently ruin your character - at least until some free total reset.

On the positive side, the combat feels really good, the art style is great (farewell, D3 care bears! Hello D2 gloom!) and the business model is more than fair.

this game is so wrong
Yeah, no, this comment is so wrong.

Last edited:
Well, the XP loss is kind of nominal at some point.

I'm softcore only at this point in my life, and if I get to Kitava or whatever, I'll just go level up so I can throw corpses at her if need be. (Not that I ever do. :messenger_squinting_tongue: )

As for an auction house, I'll bitch all day about PoE's trading system, but as a D3 fan, I'll never wish an AH on any iso aRPG ever again. You could always play solo self-found if it bugs you too much.

You realistically can't. It's not designed for that.

You can. And I understand what you're saying about "not designed for that," and it's a legit criticism.

But you can in terms of building based on what drops and also use divination card farms.

Some of the more compelling PoE Twitch streams are SSF hardcore imo.

Yeah SSF is just another layer of complexity you can give yourself. It's more suited for wtf can I do with what I find rather than I have to follow so and so's xyz min max build.

Bolivar687

Banned

this game is so wrong

Are you insane?

Ichabod

Banned
I'm stoked for 3.7. I ended up sitting out 90% of synthesis but it sounds like I didnt miss much. Any date on when we get patch notes?

Handy Fake

You realistically can't. It's not designed for that.
I've only ever played solo self-found, even in the years before it was a starting option.
I think the best fun to be had, in my opinion, is finding loot and moulding your character along the way. Admittedly never hit the magic lvl90 but been on 87 plenty of times. It's just the way I like to play and it's certainly a feasible option.

So I'm freaking out a bit. Less than a week to go until Legion 3.7 and I can't figure out what build to start the league with.

I played a crit based WORB elementalist in synthesis (with a MF bow tornado shot as my side jawn)

I want to do something else but not sure about melee (tried molten strike and felt weak af). Maybe Essence Drain/Contagion? Totems? Traps?

Any ideas or suggestions for something not too mechanically complicated on PS4? (No WORB, No Bow)

Finally gave this a whirl last night on ps4.

It was some nice crack.

Had me itching for one more run after every “last town portal”.

Im going in pretty blind aside from knowing its a diablo clone...so im wondering is there a good adventure or story to tie it all together or am is it just me running simple quests through different small maps?

The controller controls are kinda wonky so far compared with what i imagine is slick using a m&k

Chose the shadow class... pretty much steamrolling punks. Havent used any of my passive skill pts yet

Helios

Path of Exile’s September expansion is called Blight, and it adds a new tower defence-style mode to the free-to-play hack ‘n slasher. The update also makes some changes to several classes and incorporates two old leagues into Path of Exile’s core game.

Your task in Blight is to help Sister Cassia stop the spread of the Blight, a plant-like organism that controls monsters’ minds. When they’re possessed, the monsters become tougher, but they mindlessly follow tendrils created by Fungal Growths. To stop them, you need to build defensive structures that exploit the creatures’ specific weaknesses, efficiently using both space and resources to survive.

Each time you successfully defend a tendril, which is effectively a lane, you’ll get acces to a chest full of rewards. Sister Cassia can also use oils dropped during battle to enchant items as you play.

In terms of defensive structures, Blight gives you a wide arsenal to bring to bear. There are towers that cause chill, shock, stun, burn, petrify, and debilitate. Some towers stun and others empower your characters.

Helios

Anyone else playing Blight League? It's a pretty cool addition but I hate the spike in difficulty on some of those encounters. I have yet to play any of the blight maps, just the ones that appear throughtout the levels but the difference in where the lanes are place is way too big. You can have lanes that all converge in a single point and it will feel like a breeze. Than you'll have lanes that go in an X and it feels close to impossible unless you have a specific build like a necromancer, which is already overplayed at least as far as I heard.
The screen also gets cluttered as all hell. Thankfully the minimap is there to help.

Last edited:
Top Bottom