• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League |OT| Sent to Die

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Fear. They fear a very vocal crowd that jumps on anything that doesn't check all the boxes. They pander to the wrong audience and I hope they realize its going to bring them nothing. They are not the consumers going out to buy your game, and for them its never good enough anyway.

I pretty much exclusively play Japanese games for the past few years.

I had to teach myself Japanese so I could play the games without the western idiocy. Still struggle on a few kanji, but man it opened my eyes to just how shit the localizations have been. Makes games feel entirely different in tone and narrative.

SCB3

They were more sublte tho, you don't get a sidequest where you have to make gay people meet, bipocs sidequests, or sidequest where an evil rich white man stole stuff from a black history museum, like cmon...

I thought about ivy,
but i think turning her into a child is better than making her adult and ugly like MJ, you can write it as a spin on the character, way more subtle than making her downright ugly, even ww, she is not exactly beatiful but not super insulting neither.

And penguin being bossed around...i mean he has a bomb in his neck so he can't really be the ol good penguin from past games and there is maybe a couple of lines when he get "bossed around", then they stay in separate places of the base and they don't interact much.

To me the 2 games are not even close, sorry.

And the women in this game are flawed, both ww, harley, waller, there is no perfect MJ in this game, they all fuck up, and they even didn't try to make deadshot, the black dude of the group to shine or be cooler over clearly more interesting character like boomer or sharko (or even harley).
Yea they do a really good job with Deadshot in this, hell even Boomerang being a complete prick 99% of the time works and has some fantastic lines as well

SCB3

Fear. They fear a very vocal crowd that jumps on anything that doesn't check all the boxes. They pander to the wrong audience and I hope they realize its going to bring them nothing. They are not the consumers going out to buy your game, and for them its never good enough anyway.

I pretty much exclusively play Japanese games for the past few years.
My hope is that Hogwarts Legacy proved that you do not need to pander and just make decent games and stories without hitting a quota

SkylineRKR

I had to teach myself Japanese so I could play the games without the western idiocy. Still struggle on a few kanji, but man it opened my eyes to just how shit the localizations have been. Makes games feel entirely different in tone and narrative.

Luckily the likes of Infinite Wealth are translated.

Power Pro

I have been trying so hard to have fun with this game. There's nuggets of things that say it could be fun, but omg, did they not have anyone to play test this fucking thing?

First of all, I feel the game does a terrible job telling you where enemies are when they are above or below you, and the verticality does not work so well with these traversal moves. Just don't have these fucking stamina gages, and I'd have much more fun moving around. Instead, I feel like I'm constantly undershooting where I wanna go.

Also, fuck these god damn snipers that can teleport away when you get close. I've been mainly playing as Harley Quinn, and most of her weapons are close range, so yeah...getting to these god damn snipers is a pain in the ass.

Also fuck the idiot who designed these missions with the limits on you can kill an enemy. Can only damage enemies with shield harvest? Fuccckk off. I couldn't seem to trigger the damn harvest move in this quest, so I gave up. Only damage enemies with critical hits, and normal hits heal them? again fuck that! omg, who the hell thought that was a good idea???

It's not even just the GAAS aspects that make this a bad game, but they certainly don't help. The problem is though, the upgrades and weapons are such garbage. You never feel stronger, and I feel like the gameplay is not changing in an interesting way at all. Gotten things like afflictions, which I don't like. How about something that increases my stamina regen for traversal? Every damn upgrade is about miniscule number increases that don't feel like they matter. It's frustrating. Every part of this game seems designed to not be fun.

Even with the bad game design, I had hoped I could just maybe enjoy the story if I could, but I hate these characters so much. They all suck. I want to fucking murder Waller, and her team.

Sorry, this post is mostly a rant, but I just finished another session with this game where I had hoped I could have fun, and I ended up just getting frustrated.

Edit: Another complaint I forgot to mention....characters need to STFU for one second. I'm not one to usually complain about story or dialogue cuz that's what I go to a lot of games for, but holy shit. Your squad talking, then Hack starts talking, then Riddler is talking, then comms channel of JL members talking, then Troopers talking...all constantly chatting. You can't even pay attention sometimes to dialogue you want to hear, because they get interrupted by someone else. It's too much!

Last edited:

Bridges

Finally got the chance to sink some time into this today, and I genuinely don't understand how it is getting trashed the way it is.

The traversal is really fun, gunplay feels good, each character has unique abilities, graphics are good and a lot of the jokes are actually pretty funny? "I thought Deadshot was supposed to be white" was a pretty good early one.

I've got a couple of nitpicks, but overall the game seems incredibly solid. Maybe it will get worse later, but from where I am now I would not hesitate to call this a good game. It seems like it is being judged for what people think Rocksteady could've made instead, as opposed to what they actually made.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
First of all, I feel the game does a terrible job telling you where enemies are when they are above or below you, and the verticality does not work so well with these traversal moves. Just don't have these fucking stamina gages, and I'd have much more fun moving around. Instead, I feel like I'm constantly undershooting where I wanna go.

Not sure who you are playing as, but you can absolutely - or ostensibly - go infinite with traversal if you use your characters movement correctly and understand the terrain.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Well, it's out of the top twenty global top sellers on Steam, and player count is now 3300, with an all time peak of 13500, so the audience has clearly rejected the game. Let's hope this sends a distinct message to games companies not to put brilliant single player developers on these greed inspired live service games. The mind boggles at what games Arkane, Bioware, Platinum and Rocksteady could have come up with, if they hadn't been tasked with this kind of shit.

Last edited:

Flabagast

Well, it's out of the top twenty global top sellers on Steam, and player count is now 3300, with an all time peak of 13500, so the audience has clearly rejected the game. Let's hope this sends a distinct message to games companies not to put brilliant single player developers on these greed inspired live service games. The mind boggles at what games Arkane, Bioware, Platinum and Rocksteady could have come up with, if they hadn't been tasked with this kind of shit.
Game seems to be a massive flop

Flabagast

I just realized game has ten times less current players on Steam than Cyberpunk, a single player game released 3 years ago lmao (3k vs 30k players).

I dont see the roadmap surviving longer than 6 months

Dazraell

It's probably gonna be worse in the following weeks. This game never had any legs to become a long term live service game. Unfortunately it's another victim of trendchasing, which in this case is especially awful as impressions posted here make it sound like it's a decent game. They will probably run it for 3-4 seasons that were planned and then pull out a plug and put in on life support mode

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Also, fuck these god damn snipers that can teleport away when you get close. I've been mainly playing as Harley Quinn, and most of her weapons are close range, so yeah...getting to these god damn snipers is a pain in the ass.
Counter shots have infinite range regardless of the weapon youre using.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It's probably gonna be worse in the following weeks. This game never had any legs to become a long term live service game. Unfortunately it's another victim of trendchasing, which in this case is especially awful as impressions posted here make it sound like it's a decent game. They will probably run it for 3-4 seasons that were planned and then pull out a plug and put in on life support mode

How many seasons did Avengers last? This’ll go one less.

Dazraell

How many seasons did Avengers last? This’ll go one less.
Avengers was weird on that end. I don't think they even done conventional seasons. If I remember correctly, they released three expansions tied to new playable characters with one about Black Panther being the largest, some multiplayer themed stuff and then they released three much smaller updates with three more playable characters but without proper storylines

intbal

Cant wait for sony to announce sweet baby inc part in the writing of wolverine with insomniac , wolverine will be in a dilemma of hurting people while wondering if he is trans or not.
Well, we already know they participated in writing Spider-Man 2. It's right there on their website.
And since Sweet Baby is an ESG point-boosting company, it's likely Insomniac will use them again for Wolverine.
And it's not like Disney isn't an atrociously woke company. They're probably worse than Sweet Baby.

Ogbert

I’ve been generous with this game, but the Superman fight is one of the worst designed boss encounters I’ve ever played.

It looks like they’re building everything around counter shot, and it doesn’t work.

Interfectum

You mean you enjoy playing games where the developers don't have active contempt for you? Crazy! :messenger_open_mouth:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Avengers was weird on that end. I don't think they even done conventional seasons. If I remember correctly, they released three expansions tied to new playable characters with one about Black Panther being the largest, some multiplayer themed stuff and then they released three much smaller updates with three more playable characters but without proper storylines
Yes Avengers had no seasons, just the promise of content updates, which they fumbled hard because of delays caused by disney restrictions and the death of boseman (they actually worked on most of the wakanda update even before the main game launched).
somewhere down the road they canceled the roadmap, and a ton of promised updates were never made, with the entire kree expansion being scrapped, and several characters with voiceline references being canceled as well.

if they actually got all the content out on time, we'd have Antman, Wasp, Vision, Dr. Strange, Falcon, Mar-vell, Mockingbird, Quake, Scarlet Witch, Captain Marvel, She-Hulk, War Machine, and probably a steady stream of many more.

Last edited:
I’ve been generous with this game, but the Superman fight is one of the worst designed boss encounters I’ve ever played.

It looks like they’re building everything around counter shot, and it doesn’t work.
Yup. I tried it a few times the other night, then I just took a break from this and moved to something else. I will definitely come back, but not today (or tomorrow, because Helldivers is tomorrow).

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member

it's pretty easy once you stick closer to him, so don't stay in the little arena area, walk out a bit out of it and you'll be pretty much center of the encounter and you can stick to him pretty fast.

Ogbert

it's pretty easy once you stick closer to him, so don't stay in the little arena area, walk out a bit out of it and you'll be pretty much center of the encounter and you can stick to him pretty fast.
I was actually being a doughnut.

I thought the only way you could damage him was via countershot. So it was taking ridiculously long. I didn’t realise that countershots simply determine how much damage your normal weapons do.

As soon as I realised that, I got him in couple of minutes.

Still a shit fight.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I feel the game is already dead, anyone agrees ?
The end game doesn’t exist, and those who planned to buy and play it, have. Without a fun end game this game can be rushed through in 9 hours or fully done around 20.

The player base will keep dropping.

It’ll be interesting to see when season 1 launches what the game spikes back up to because that’s the folks who like the game. I predict 3000-5000 season 1 for steam charts but no way to gauge console player numbers on it .

Nok Su Kow

Debating doing this myself, how'd you go about it?

My friend, who is a completely logical person, is telling me this game is awesome. He's telling me the reviews are irrelevant and he doesn't understand why people are hating the game especially because it's a direct sequel to Arkham Knight.

He's telling me the micro transactions don't force anything.

It's a very strange take and I'm perplexed.

I just realized game has ten times less current players on Steam than Cyberpunk, a single player game released 3 years ago lmao (3k vs 30k players).

I dont see the roadmap surviving longer than 6 months
That's with a significant portion of the Cyberpunk PC player base not on Steam but on GOG.

Ogbert

My friend, who is a completely logical person, is telling me this game is awesome. He's telling me the reviews are irrelevant and he doesn't understand why people are hating the game especially because it's a direct sequel to Arkham Knight.

He's telling me the micro transactions don't force anything.

It's a very strange take and I'm perplexed.
I agree with your friend.

I don’t know what to say. It has obvious problems and I’m not sure how it will develop, but the moment to moment combat is the best superhero gameplay I’ve ever played.

King Shark and Boomerang are off the charts fun. You have amazing control, the gunplay is crunchy and it ‘flows’ very well.

I’m not sure why reviewers have been incapable of acknowledging this.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

I don’t know what to say. It has obvious problems and I’m not sure how it will develop, but the moment to moment combat is the best superhero gameplay I’ve ever played.

King Shark and Boomerang are off the charts fun. You have amazing control, the gunplay is crunchy and it ‘flows’ very well.

Because they got no review copies. They probably couldn’t give two shits about any sort of positivity you could squeeze out of it.

Ogbert

Because they got no review copies. They probably couldn’t give two shits about any sort of positivity you could squeeze out of it.
I’m not asking them to squeeze positivity out of it. Just describe basic elements of the game in an honest manner.

The game has lots of issues; repetitive missions, limited combat mechanics, poor boss design and confusing loot. But the actual gameplay is great and it’s frustrating to not even see that called out.

It’s been called out for not being Arkham 4.

Interesting.

Ogbert

Interesting.
For the record, the mission variety is poor, the boss fights suck, the counter strike mechanic is overused, the loot is underwhelming and the world looks cool but is empty.

But I still really enjoy it.

I like this game in the same way I loved Rage 2 and dig CoD Zombies. It’s a satisfying, easy going grind.

Also, as I said previously, the Dualsense haptics are awesome.

So this YouTube account called Batman Arkham Videos has been discovering Easter Eggs in the Arkham series over the past decade+, and they've just uploaded their first Suicide Squad Easter Egg video... and what they found is interesting.

Potential major spoilers for the direction that the seasonal stories will go... but tbh it shouldn't be a surprise to people who read comics.

FingerBang

I finished the game and I have to say, I enjoyed it much more than I thought. It's flawed, but the gameplay focused on traversal and the characters made me want to keep on going.

Unfortunately, I really doubt they'll get to the end of the story they planned to tell with the various seasons. This game won't live long as a live service and it's a shame.

MiguelItUp

I didn't even realise there was a store tab until after I was done with the story.
I think I glanced at it just to see what the content looked like when I was almost done with the story.

Honestly, for the story alone, I enjoyed my time with it. Much like I've said before, it feels kind of like the Diablo IV experience I had. I put a lot of time into it, I beat the campaign, and I put it down. But when more content comes out, I'll check it out. Especially since it's free and included.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The game is FAR from perfect, and it could've and should've been more than that. It's nothing groundbreaking or astonishing, but what's there is still surprisingly more entertaining that I thought it would be. Just the traversal and combat alone made it easy to enjoy through the story. Just a shame that the "endgame" is pretty much nonexistent. I mean, there's things that you can do, and people are out there doing them. But for me, I have absolutely zero desire to do so. At least for now.

After Suicide Squad's reception, I was genuinely surprised that the reception for Helldivers 2 has been positive at all.

I finished the game and I have to say, I enjoyed it much more than I thought. It's flawed, but the gameplay focused on traversal and the characters made me want to keep on going.

Unfortunately, I really doubt they'll get to the end of the story they planned to tell with the various seasons. This game won't live long as a live service and it's a shame.
Yeah, only time will tell. A lot of the content is already done as we speak. It'll be interesting to see how everything pans out though.

MiguelItUp

The single biggest question I have with Suicide Squad is regarding the staying power over time, due to this being a live service game. What will this game's player base look like in 1 month? 2 months? 3 months?
It will all depend on their roadmap and its release cadence. If they add anything else in-between, etc. I first content drop is in March, but the ones after aren't in stone yet, though the content is surely done on their end.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
The single biggest question I have with Suicide Squad is regarding the staying power over time, due to this being a live service game. What will this game's player base look like in 1 month? 2 months? 3 months?

I personally think if it can have 3000 active players each season then we may get a year of support. If an initial flux for a week is 5000+ on each platform or higher, then we are set.

However, season 1 is likely going to be ass because this was finished already. Season 2 would be the first season with any real changes and additions based off feedback.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I feel the game is already dead, anyone agrees ?

Trv7Jnq.jpg

Disney River GIF

Top Bottom