• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I've Been Getting These Strange Messages From Random Accounts on PSN...

Nicky Ali

Recently I got this message from a random account called "yummi_kira":

Z7r9rgel.jpg

At first I thought, "oh it's probably just a kid messing around, nothing to see here" and I just ignored them, until I looked at their profile page:

jL8llwNl.jpg

Completely empty. I just blocked them and moved on with my day.

A couple of weeks pass and I got message from another random account:
UisAP5Il.jpg

Poor SeanFarrell169_s is a bit embarrassed.

Again, they want to know how old I am. This is getting weird.

mHphBezl.jpg

Looked at their page. Completely empty.

Blocked and moved on.

But, oh look! Another delightful fellow comes along:
WcVya7Dl.jpg

"Hey was up!"

4iOcDrhl.jpg

Yer gettin' the block, friendo.

Most recently is "Lettie_Unexpecte". I guess they didn't have enough characters left to spell 'unexpected'...
OG9jkg3l.jpg

Their reply was exactly the same as Yummi_Kira's from the start:

XdRnBYRl.jpg

You're gettin' blocked. See ya...

F3aPqJOl.jpg

So who are these bots? Why do they want to know how old I am? What do they want?

Has anyone else ever gotten weird messages like this on PSN?

L~A

I heard you can unlock something super awesome if you give them your CC details, you should try it!

Seriously, blocking them is the way to go. At best, they're spam accounts. At worst, truly malicious account that will be used for phishing and other shady stuff.

Reminds me of similar accounts I had on Steam a while ago. Blocked every single one of 'em.

13ruce

Banned
Webcam sex bots or other ways to get ur money.
No kiddin had one a few days ago lmao.

Sometimes those bots also try to get your personal info for fraud.

I block em.

MastAndo

Having gotten any messages from spambots, but I have noticed more and more girls on PSN are interested in me. I have a few webcam sessions set up, so yeah, things are looking up.

poodaddy

Change your preferences to disallow messages from people who don't know you to handle the bot issue. It's getting bad apparently.

LQX

Yeah, women cant seem to get enough of me on PSN. My most recent is NotAmale and I think she likes me. I'm taking things slow though before giving her my address.

Fox Mulder

They've really flared up on xbl and psn.

You can block them all but they keep getting new ones. I'm going to just change messaging to only receive from friends.

joecanada

I occasionally get the same thing. What would someone gain by using bots to spam PSN accounts?

They link to cam sites I believe.... They are definitely bots one asked what I was doing and I said showering with my uncle .... They were like " oh neat " lol . No fun

Hwoar

Having gotten any messages from spambots, but I have noticed more and more girls on PSN are interested in me. I have a few webcam sessions set up, so yeah, things are looking up.

Me too. I gave a couple my CC details because they wanted to travel to me. wow

ST2K

It's really something Sony and MS need to do something about. It's only going to get worse.

Yeah I've been randomly getting these messages every so often as well. I have no idea how they are getting my psn, each "person" usually has no trophies and seem like a bot account or something.

pswii60

I get the same thing every week.

One girl I transferred my bank balance to as her mother was in desperate need of help after some terrible circumstances. She then agreed to meet me as she thought I was cute, but she never turned up? Seemed like a waste of a cross-Atlantic plane fare unfortunately.

mollipen

Same, nothing good ever comes from it.

I message random people on a regular basis after Overwatch matches if I'm not on mic. Usually it'll be to say thanks for them saying I was a good healer, but it can just be to say thanks for something else or whatever. And in reverse, I've gotten nice messages from strangers at times too. Not everyone sucks. *shrugs*

BasilZero

I get the same thing every week.

One girl I transferred my bank balance to as her mother was in desperate need of help after some terrible circumstances. She then agreed to meet me as she thought I was cute, but she never turned up? Seemed like a waste of a cross-Atlantic plane fare unfortunately.

lol

@OP - I've been getting some too - blocked about 4 in the past week.

Saganator

I've started getting random messages on PSN as well. They're just people saying hi, though, most of the messages are in spanish. I assume it's because of my bad ass Rick logo (Rick and Morty) I made for MLB The Show 16.

Stoffinator

I've never got these on PSN. But I get them often on Xbox. People say they got my name through the community app. Which maybe just random cause I am not a member of any community on that system.

Top Bottom