• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is GAF so good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kammy

Banned
It just doesnt add up.

1. Its american
2. Its full of teenagers.

Everything adds up to something like Game FAQS but for some reason it works. I blame the SNES personally.

Ra\/en

Well, the moderation and general attitude seems to really go against the whole "gamefaqs" style of thread.

besides, GAF does not have a huge collection of "instant help" faqs, meaning that the confused newbie gamers are not going to flock to GAF for game help.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
kammy said:
It just doesnt add up.

1. Its american

Everything adds up to something like Game FAQS but for some reason it works. I blame the SNES personally.

You know what is really going to blow your mind, half these people post, or at one time posted at GameFAQS....

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
kammy said:
It just doesnt add up.

1. Its american

Actually GAF has a lot of the older gamer community here..

woxel1

It's good because everyone bad went over to that "other" forum, or forums, or haven't started posting here yet. GAF is good but it could be better (like all things) I suppose.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
If you think Gaf is good.... You should try Gaf's top secret forum for the uber elite..opps I have said too much...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
kammy said:
It just doesnt add up.

1. Its american

Oh, it has its bad segments.

7Th

themadcowtipper said:
If you think Gaf is good.... You should try Gaf's top secret forum for the uber elite..opps I have said too much...

GAFs 2 forums for the uber-elite.

It's neither overwhelmingly American nor full of teenagers. It's a good mix of different ages and nationalities with moderation that's not too draconian, so as to stifle the growth of the community, nor too leniant that it generally acceptable to be an arse because you'll never get banned for it.

Sure it's not perfect but it's about as close as is feasible to get.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Die Squirrel Die said:
It's neither overwhelmingly American nor full of teenagers. It's a good mix of different ages and nationalities with moderation that's not too draconian, so as to stifle the growth of the community, nor too leniant that it generally acceptable to be an arse because you'll never get banned for it.

Sure it's not perfect but it's about as close as is feasible to get.

Well, ignoring the bouts of forum wide insanity.

kablooey

GAF is probably the most strictly-moderated forum I've ever been to. I think that plays a pretty big role in keeping everyone civil and respectful. Usually anyway.

On other forums that take a more laissez-faire approach to modding, it doesn't take long for a couple of juvenile idiots to bring the whole board to a crawl. I'm glad that sort of thing isn't really tolerated here.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I would guess that the average age of gaffers is over 20.

Being British, I like that the majority of people here are from other countries, though mainly the US. I pick up so much about other countries and cultures, which I certianly wouldn't on a mainly Brits board.

One of the reasons it's so good is that it just has three boards. I'd actually prefer it to go back to two personally, but it's still way better than half the retarted forums on the net with 20 boards you have to check each day for stuff that might interest you.

It has only 2 boards (lulz online what). Threads are epicly set up.

btw the whole hating on gamefaqs thing is kinda stupid. Gamefaqs is still fun if you visit the right boards. I think most people think they're cool if they downtalk gamefaqs.

AntoneM

I like to think that I make GAF a little better for everyone. Although I will say that I have been enjoying a certain evil forum for a while now as well.

woxel1

Aristotlekh said:
Sidenote since we're sort of on the topic:

-What the hell is the "other forum?"
-What the hell is "OA?"
fight-club-tyler1.jpg

"Fight Club was the beginning, now it's moved out of the basement, it's called OA."

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
krypt0nian said:
Better than every other gaming board I've seen.

For news, perhaps. As far as discussion, it's the same shit you'll find anywhere else on the net, with better spelling.

MattKeil said:
For news, perhaps. As far as discussion, it's the same shit you'll find anywhere else on the net, with better spelling.

Can't agree at all. While there are the camps, they are at least entertaining.

shuri

Banned
Post #26 is right on the spot, the gaming section used to be awesome, now i only use it for news; all the good posters are gone, all the real devs left, you cant really talk about leaked infos and stuff anymore; its honestly very average.

I only come here for the OT nowadays.

Kuroyume said:
I agree with you there. I haven't bothered checking any other Gaming Discussion since coming here.

Yup. I used to frequent the IGN and Gamespot forums. I also used 1up for a brief spell when I was banned here.

God...I don't ever want to go back to those places.

The limited # of boards is a big part of what makes gaf so great. It's games, and everything else. It doesn't allow people to camp in their "gamecube board" and the off-topic is a mix of everything...so, everyone knows everyone. This could be good or bad, but the moderation makes it work.

There are trolls and retards on here just like any other place, but they're relegated to little more than an annoying digression of the topic at hand. Sometimes, they're even funny. But everyone here is what makes gaf so good.

Phoenix

kammy said:
It just doesnt add up.

1. Its american

1. It contains people from around the world
2. There are a significant number of people on the site who are far from teenagers. Most of the people I generally interact with "in real life" who post on GAF are professionals above the age of 30.

GAF succeeds because it is a well managed and moderated environment that allows people to get away with some things, but bans them when they go too far. GAF succeeds because of the people - the community here is just different from the relative crap you get from other places. Those types of people get banned pretty much continually here.

tnw

Banned
I like that something can't be good because it's American:lol

I laugh partly because it's true.

Anyway, aren't most people on here older? By older I mean in there 20's? There are a few younger college kids that love talking about canal skating and going in dry.

And yes, the SNES wraps it all up. I mostly like coming here to find other people who are interested in that era of gaming. Games were always a solitary hobby for me that none of my other friends were really into. It's nice to see other people that like the same stuff. Unfortunately the gaming discussion is all about new games I haven't played...

Saoh

Aristotlekh said:
Sidenote since we're sort of on the topic:

-What the hell is the "other forum?"
-What the hell is "OA?"

yeah, i wasn't here around that. some one elaborate :)

btw, i like it because of the silly threads and i pretty much get my gaming news here.

I'm preeeetty sure OA is overeaters anonymous. See, when people get banned from GAF, they get so depressed that they eat and eat to fill the void. So they join OA.

As for the "other place", they're obviously referring to the Canadian Tire parking lot in Kenora, Ontario, Canada, where all the cool kids hang out and smoke. Forums don't *have* to be online, you know.

Fireblend

Banned
I think it is because, as mentioned in the first posts, a big portion of users here come from places like GameFAQs. I know I do, and I'm glad I changed >_>

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
icarus-daedelus said:
Television Without Pity is the most strictly-moderated forum I've ever been to, and it is a pain in the ass. GAF is not bad at all in comparison. Mods here hit a nice balance, I think.

TWOP is, perhaps not coincidentally, the best TV discussion forum on the internet. GAF doesn't have strict moderation so much as confusing at times, although less so these days. Back when Drinky and demi were trolling the place like a damn fishery, it was comedically silly.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
shuri said:
Post #26 is right on the spot, the gaming section used to be awesome, now i only use it for news; all the good posters are gone, all the real devs left, you cant really talk about leaked infos and stuff anymore; its honestly very average.

I only come here for the OT nowadays.
You must not see/have seen many other gaming forums if you think GAF's gaming forum is average.
There's a bit of a brutal honesty to it you don't get much elsewhere.

emomoonbase

I'm free 2night after my LARPing guild meets.
It's not that neogaf is any good, it just shows how shitty the rest of the internet has become.

I always figured most posters are a bit older, in the 20s or something.

Besides, even they can troll as good and/or as bad as the younger crowd!

I like GAF because it makes me laugh/informs me. :)

C.Dark.DN

Banned
people who post need a non-free email domain, which weeds out tards, for the most part.

i also think people try to behave here, cause of the credible information discussed. i was in the thread when phil was talking at dice, and i think a lot of gaffers showed their ass on the live update blog comments. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom