• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got DS lite, suggest 3 games?

yacobod

Banned
i was in walmart tonite to get crackdown, and they had a bunch of DS lites, so i picked one up

what would be the top 3 games to pick up?

id prefer platform type suggestions over anything else

ant1532

Banned
New Super Mario Brothers, Kirby Canvas Curse, and Megaman ZX

All excellent platformers (ZX is action/platformer)

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
TheGreatDave said:
New Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart, Elite Beat Agents.
A good a group as any I spose.

Not exactly great for showing off the system capabilties, however.

I'd recommend WarioWare: Touched if you wanted a system demo type game.

I really liked Yoshi's Touch and Go, if you want to count that. I imagine that's either dirt cheep or impossible to find now.

RubxQub said:

Touched is pretty much the worst Wario Ware game though. EBA uses the screen just as well, and kicks ass.

Mario Kart shows off WiFi I supose. Nintendogs and Brain Training are still the best system showcase titles I think.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Kirby Canvas Curse to make you a touch screen believer. The other platformer I've played was NSMB but I can't recommend you that game.

haircut

Platformers... New Super Mario Bros., Mega Man ZX, Kim Possible 2 (actually a GBA game, and hey, I had to make my suggestions different from everyone else's ;)

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Meteos
Ouendan
Elite Beat Agents

RubxQub said:

I think EBA does a great job of showing off the DS's capabilities.

New Super Mario Bros.
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Advance Wars DS (Sorry, Mario Kart. )

If you're looking for something a little less traditional, try:

Elite Beat Agents
Hotel Dusk
Big Brain Academy

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
GreenGlowingGoo said:
Meteos
Ouendan
Elite Beat Agents

I think EBA does a great job of showing off the DS's capabilities.

I agree for the most part, I spose it doesn't get the microphone part, but no game on the DS aside from Nintendogs really uses it appropriately.

Reilly

RubxQub said:
I agree for the most part, I spose it doesn't get the microphone part, but no game on the DS aside from Nintendogs really uses it appropriately.

Resident Evil: DS makes great use of it (IMO)

byproduct

The Amiga Brotherhood
My fave two games on DS have been Sonic Rush and Metroid Pinball. I also have Mario Kart and NSMB but they felt kind of by-the-numbers-done-it-before to me.

yacobod

Banned
i was looking at games on amazon

i'm thinking between

nsmb, sonic rush, yoshi's island, and castlevania portrait of ruin

I'd vote against Portrait of Ruin, but then I'm proabably in the minority when it comes to disliking the latest batch of Metroidvania's.

yacobod said:
i was looking at games on amazon

i'm thinking between

nsmb, sonic rush, yoshi's island, and castlevania portrait of ruin

If you could only get one or the other, I'd strongly suggest Dawn of Sorrow over Portrait of Ruin. Unless...Dawn of Sorrow is no longer in stock.

Portrait of Ruin is a good game, but I was largely disappointed at the drop in quality from DoS to it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
you've gotta get castlevania: dawn of sorrow.

Giard

1. Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
2. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
3. Yoshi's Island DS, being a platformer

Haunted

Brain Age, Nintendogs, Animal Crossing

sorry, I'm still in Sales-Age mode.

get NSMB, Final Fantasy III and Mario Kart DS.

El Pato

New Super Mario Bros is a pretty good pick. You can't go wrong with the new Castlevanias either. The two Castlevanias and Mario make 3. Go snag those. Two of them you could find used even.

Jiggy

Yoshi's Island DS, Mega Man ZX, and either Advance Wars DS or Elite Beat Agents, since those are the system's two best games outside Japan.
If you really, absolutely need a third platformer, though, you probably can't go wrong with anything out of Kirby Squeak Squad, NSMB, or Super Princess Peach. I like Kirby best, but its core elements are somewhat similar to Mega Man, so perhaps NSMB instead.

And if you count Castlevania as a platformer, kick Yoshi out of the top list and throw it into the second.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
[Platformer] Kirby Canvas Curse (I second VicAlpha, this games makes you a touchscreen believer)
[???] Osu Tatakae Ouendan
[Platformer] Castlevania: Portrait of Ruins

Additional games for bonus points and massive damages:
[Platformer] Yoshi's Island DS, [RPG] Magical Starsign, [puzzle] Meteosnin
If you could only get one or the other, I'd strongly suggest Dawn of Sorrow over Portrait of Ruin. Unless...Dawn of Sorrow is no longer in stock.
Well I much prefer PoR over DoS, found it much more enjoyable, and the absence of touchscreen use out of the Sister Mode is ****ing Great.

Yeah, to me, PoR > DoS

RubxQub said:

I think more than any, NSMB, MK:DS and EBA show off the diversity of the system best - you've got old school 2d greatness, decent 3d with killer multiplayer/online, and innovative touch screen based wackiness. All you're really missing is a game that takes advantage of dual screen properly, to which i'd add Metroid Prime Pinball personally.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
some great bargain bin titles if you want to get 3 games that are probably under 10 dollars a piece:
Feel the Magic (shows off the DS hardware pretty well), Sprung (funniest script in a game I've read in a long time), and Over the Hedge (proves that Metal Gear Solid can be done on the DS)

Cdammen

I would say:

Kirby Canvas Curse - The only unique platformer for the NDS that utilizes the touch screen in a fantastic way. It's also quite beautiful, has lots of replay value and is challenging without getting frustrating.

Meteos - This game is a blast :)

Elite Beat Agents or Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan - This, and those other two games mentioned in my post are prime examples of games using the touch screen in a good way.

(EDIT) Do you want a new gaming experience or play same old Mario Kart / Tetris / Final Fantasy / Super Mario Bros. games? Support the unique NDS games (at first).

SpokkX

Would people here recommend Mega Man ZX or Star Fox Command?

Really like space-shooters and I heard Mega Man had som confusing design?

u_neek

Depends on what you like but here's my 3 favorite DS titles:

Hotel Dusk: Room 215
New Super Mario Bros.
Sonic Rush

Top Bottom