• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pewdiepie just can't help himself with the N word...the 4th time

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one who isn't black should say nigger or nigga and whether or not black people should be saying nigga is a discussion that black people and only black people get to be a part of.

I think it is a strange concept that what you are saying is that a singular race has dominion over 5 or 6 letters in a specific order.

For the record I do not use either version. I remember when Jay Z and Oprah had a conversation about using it (pretty sure that was it) and Jay was saying that essentially black people were reclaiming it and Oprah was saying it is a word that holds such negative meaning that maybe we should just not use it all anymore. They agreed to disagree.

It was probably the first time I could see myself siding with Oprah on an issue against Jay Z. The main problem is that once you make it taboo to use (for races other than blacks in this case) not only do you increase its desire ( it's a forbidden fruit now) you are also giving it power. Once it has power that is something racists will want to use it because it has power and can evoke emotions.

So, like I mentioned, as a non user I do wonder what would happen if it was "retired" or "fazed out". I am not saying it's origins shouldn't be taught along with all the implications. It should so as not to forget. Having said that I doubt it would ever happen. I will just keep not using it.

Mahonay

Banned
GTFO of here with this shit. You think this gives people a blank check to be racist towards whites? Cracka is a term meant to be derogatory and offensive towards a certain group of people. Racism. It's the same thing as using the N word.
giphy.gif

Get the fuck out.

ChrisD

Disgusting. Is this dude still popular with kids or is his influence waning?

Also, I'm not at all trying to make light of a serious issue but does he have a drug problem? Because he's looking rough.

Honestly, even if he's not popular with kid kids. the alt-right movement of the past few years shows that moronic teens and young adults are evidently just as impressionable.

He needs removed from YouTube. Removed from Twitch. All revenue from public appearances/streaming taken away from him. This guy has way too much power and influence, and he gets by with even less pushback than garbage like Fox News. He isn't monitored or moderated to the extent that someone of his caliber (solely from the numbers side, not human) should be.

E: I'm a white guy from Texas, the South, in a Red racist area. The use of cracka/cracker will never ever ever carry the same weight as n***er.

Ever.
Period.

Stop comparing them, and re-evaluate your thinking.

The fact that people are saying only black people should use that word blows my mind. No one should use it ever if they want to be taken seriously about anything.
No.

We don't say it because it came from us (whites). Black people can appropriate the word and use it, change it's definition, etc.

I don't like any variant of the word but I'll gladly support black people's use of the word. I can both not like it and support its appropriation at the same time.

Aside:
I'd personally like to see my dad's favorite cut down used more often in gaming (English, I'm Croatian): Paper Donkey - when you're not good enough to be a real jackass, you're a fucking paper jackass.

Never caught on :(

he seems to have more of an issue with the reprecussions of ad revenue for Youtubers.. such a piece of shit.

Look for the same video after that clip and you'll hear the anger and conviction Ethan & Hila had for Campo Santo for filing DMCA takedowns against Pewdiepie because CS didn't want to be affiliated with PDP. Now compare that to the "ahhh geez" attitude they had for PDP saying the N-word.

Giga Man

I don't get how this guy is still relevant

He's relevant because he is, believe it or not, the face of youtube and the face of video gamers. When an outsider thinks of gamers, they think of Pewdiepie, the youtube billionaire. He's still relevant because youtube doesn't want to get rid of their biggest money maker and instead punish the entire youtube community as a whole. Instead of some of the biggest voices in the youtube community condemning Pewdiepie for the harm that HE is mostly responsible for, they would rather put ALL the blame on youtube instead. Pewdiepie has so much goddamn influence in the medium that this issue will never end.

Sailent

Banned
What's youtube and twitch policy for racist speech?

Meh, they will say it's "freedom of speech" and move on with it.

No.

We don't say it because it came from us (whites). Black people can appropriate the word and use it, change it's definition, etc.

I don't like any variant of the word but I'll gladly support black people's use of the word. I can both not like it and support its appropriation at the same time.

Aside:
I'd personally like to see my dad's favorite cut down used more often in gaming (English, I'm Croatian): Paper Donkey - when you're not good enough to be a real jackass, you're a fucking paper jackass.

Never caught on :(

Exactly. Like some gay people using "queer" to define themselves. They can say it, because they are proud of what they are. If someone else uses it without being one, it's probably racist/homophobe.

btrboyev

The only thing I'm asking to to this thread is why is it 4 times when the OP has the 2nd and 3rd time the same exact thing?

Enzom21

I think it is a strange concept that what you are saying is that a singular race has dominion over 5 or 6 letters in a specific order.

For the record I do not use either version. I remember when Jay Z and Oprah had a conversation about using it (pretty sure that was it) and Jay was saying that essentially black people were reclaiming it and Oprah was saying it is a word that holds such negative meaning that maybe we should just not use it all anymore. They agreed to disagree.

It was probably the first time I could see myself siding with Oprah on an issue against Jay Z. The main problem is that once you make it taboo to use (for races other than blacks in this case) not only do you increase its desire ( it's a forbidden fruit now) you are also giving it power. Once it has power that is something racists will want to use it because it has power and can evoke emotions.

So, like I mentioned, as a non user I do wonder what would happen if it was "retired" or "fazed out". I am not saying it's origins shouldn't be taught along with all the implications. It should so as not to forget. Having said that I doubt it would ever happen. I will just keep not using it.
This is the most absurd nonsense I have ever read. If all black people collectively stopped saying nigga, you really think racists would stop calling us niggers? Come the fuck on.
We were called nigger long before we used nigga and we'll be called nigger long after we stop.

Do you honestly think folks will stop calling us nigger if we stop say nigga? Are you that naive?

He's said the 'censored' version tons of times in videos. Pronounced "ni-bb-a". Not defending it, just pointing it out if you guys wanted more reasons/instances. He's used that version for months now.

Tagyhag

"Cracka is the same as the n-word" will never not be funny.

YOU CAN'T SPELL ONE OF THOSE WORDS. WHAT DOES THAT TELL YOU ABOUT WHICH ONE IS MORE POWERFUL?

Markoman

This guy has "douchebag" written in caps all over his face. I don't buy the whole "look, I'm dumb and making fun of myself and others" spiel. That innocence was lost when the first big stashes of cash arrived on his bank account. Only diehard fanboys might disagree.

This really makes me appreciate 15 minutes of fame casting stars. They make big cash in a short period of time, then most of them vanish all for good. How long do we have to endure this brat?

Fitts

Honestly, even if he's not popular with kid kids. the alt-right movement of the past few years shows that moronic teens and young adults are evidently just as impressionable.

He needs removed from YouTube. Removed from Twitch. All revenue from public appearances/streaming taken away from him. This guy has way too much power and influence, and he gets by with even less pushback than garbage like Fox News. He isn't monitored or moderated to the extent that someone of his caliber (solely from the numbers side, not human) should be.

E: I'm a white guy from Texas, the South, in a Red racist area. The use of cracka/cracker will never ever ever carry the same weight as n***er.

Ever.
Period.

Stop comparing them, and re-evaluate your thinking.

That's a good point about teens/young adults, but I thought that young kids was his target audience. At any rate, has anyone put out a petition or something to have him removed from YouTube/twitch/etc? How can I help make it happen?

GTFO of here with this shit. You think this gives people a blank check to be racist towards whites? Cracka is a term meant to be derogatory and offensive towards a certain group of people. Racism. It's the same thing as using the N word.
When the biggest insult to your kind is a comparison to a tasty salty snack you probably aren't doing that bad

luulubuu

tumblr_oazz1iN1Ix1v0fkzqo1_500.gif

When you are failing to give a proper argument and you start go personal.

Man, poor Kiryu that has to hang in your avatar.

Aspiring

This is the most absurd nonsense I have ever read. If all black people collectively stopped saying nigga, you really think racists would stop calling us niggers? Come the fuck on.
We were called nigger long before we used nigga and we'll be called nigger long after we stop.

Do you honestly think folks will stop calling us nigger if we stop say nigga? Are you that naive?

Honest question. I have spoke about this issue with a few black friends and it might be different as we are from a country who, at least in our circle, have never been hit with such hateful words. But there opionion is if you just let it be free for all it would lose its meaning and die out. Thoughts? Again I am not American nor black so I don't know the situation there but could it work or are they way off the mark?

LotusHD

Banned
I don't like Pewds, so I generally don't waste mental energy on conversations about him. I jumped to the last page of this thread just to get a glimpse at what the atmosphere was like and I see we're doing the "black people shouldn't call each other niggers either" game. I salute your patience, Lotus.

Lol well, I was already in one thread that was discussing racism, I figured what's one more...

Are they way off the mark?

Yes.

Enzom said it best:

Regardless of what we do, it ain't going anywhere.

Pantz

I wish everyone would use less bad words in general, especially that one. I rarely go beyond the A word.

Ploid 3.0

No one who isn't black should say nigger or nigga and whether or not black people should be saying nigga is a discussion that black people and only black people get to be a part of.

I don't like the word myself, but I tend to explain the situation as a close family member saying something about your mother vs a total stranger saying something about your mother. Jokingly or not, you will give the family member slack because they are close or know her well, vs some outsider that just wants to ruin your day.

I'm sorry but you're a fucking moron.

Dice//

Banned
Just like boogie..fucking hell. Oh ethan you dumb idiot that you are.

I SORTA agree but only as far that OBVIOUSLY a hate crime is the "far worse" offence; I doubt many would disagree there. The main problem is that people are too stupid to see how this opens the floodgates waaaaay too wide. H3 is making a really empty comment and completely ignores just how impactful speech is. (also just a LITTLE surprising given his wife isn't from a Western country)

I could not give two shits about Pewdiepie and I hate the amount of attention he's getting about this ---- fuck him, he's a stupid lost cause and I don't care about him.... The main problem, to me, is that it reifies the act as okay, and not even on his part, but his many mindless fans; stupid monkey sees, stupid monkey does.

Also, in a similar vein, you get a few black people (well, alleged blacks, hard to confirm YT identities, but regardless) who don't really care either --- which gives even more of a stomping ground for white-skinned idiots to use it HOWEVER they'd like, for "comedy", for hate speech, for apparently "game raging outbursts" or whatever.

I don't really know what to say anymore though. This is such an ugly fucking issue, and it's depressing to see blacks constantly have to fight to be heard and be told that they shouldn't be offended while someone close by says a derogatory close by. Only for some stupid fucking youtube mouthpiece to enjoy the charmed life he lives and get off, scott-free, for hateful and hurtful things he says. How cruel. How awful.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Honest question. I have spoke about this issue with a few black friends and it might be different as we are from a country who, at least in our circle, have never been hit with such hateful words. But there opionion is if you just let it be free for all it would lose its meaning and die out. Thoughts? Again I am not American nor black so I don't know the situation there but could it work or are they way off the mark?

The last time it was a free for all, black people in this country were being strung up from trees for the enjoyment of white audiences, beat up, kicked out of public spaces, harassed relentlessly by law enforcement and just generally treated like they were less than human.

That's not an option.

Everyone knows the reason slave masters used the word "nigger" was because of rap music during slavery.

Stay Woke

Enzom21

I am tired of this silly ass argument.
For starters, it implies that black people share responsibility in the racism we face.
It is essentially, If we would be okay with racism it would simply go away.
Finally, there was a time when there was a "free for all" with its use how do you think things were back then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom