• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley for Nintendo Switch |OT| Starving for a Harvest

Enjoying the game so far, but there seem to be some bugs. I haven't experienced the audio issue, possibly because im not listening at a high volume, but the mouse cursor seems to appear at random times in random places on the screen and in the community center building, the text seems to display in the incorrect places sometimes.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
So I just found out that the long heralded multiplayer mode... is online only with no plans for local.

:( that's a bit lame. Multiplayer was the main reason I bought it.

ZugZug123

Bought it and it felt so good to hear the title screen song on my Switch.

Started with a river/lake farm (my PC one is a forest one) named Quaint Pond 😊 so happy to be playing the game again.

devonodev

First time playing Stardew Valley, it seems okay. I was lost for the first few days, looking up some beginner guides has helped a lot. I was the same with Terraria, not sure if I'd stick with it, but ended up putting 300 hours into that, so hopefully this will be the same.

I really wish there was a faster run button though, playing this after Golf Story, the movement is painful.

jariw

It's already number 1 on the eShop chart? o_O

In the UK, it got to #1 in just a couple of hours.

I really like how UI adjust depending on whether you're playing in docked or handheld mode. I can't recall ever seeing that with any other Switch game before.

Hope someone can create a separate thread on this with screen shot examples. IMO, this is a muuuuch bigger issue than the icon of a game.

Pastry

Banned
First time playing Stardew Valley, it seems okay. I was lost for the first few days, looking up some beginner guides has helped a lot. I was the same with Terraria, not sure if I'd stick with it, but ended up putting 300 hours into that, so hopefully this will be the same.

I really wish there was a faster run button though, playing this after Golf Story, the movement is painful.

Yes! You move so fast in Golf Story when you’re running. You just feel sluggish here.

Brakke

Banned
Hmm p disappointed with this port tbh. No touchscreen even in menus? Apparently there’s no way to select from item stacks five at a time? Also I don’t think you can check the Community Center bundles while “controller mode” menus are enabled?

Plus the game just feels worse on controller than it did on mouse and keyboard. Whole package is a bit of a shame.

Still gunna play 2 full years tho... 🤷

Mudron

Anyone notice a crackling sound during the game? I hear it both in handheld and TV mode.

Yeah, I got a bunch of that on the title screen this morning while the Switch was docked. I swapped between that and Steamworld just to make sure it wasn't an issue with my TV, and, nope, the crackling was limited to Stardew Valley and nothing else.

As others have mentioned the game’s already top of the eShop charts just 18 hours after release, meaning it’s outsold:

-the last two weeks of SteamWorld Dig sales (that launched at 8am UTC on Thursday so 2 weeks, 7 days and 23 hours ago) and
-the last week of Golf Story sales.

Crazy!

Anyone else able to check the other eShops - maybe a thread could be made?

Neiteio

Yeah, I got a bunch of that on the title screen this morning while the Switch was docked. I swapped between that and Steamworld just to make sure it wasn't an issue with my TV, and, nope, the crackling was limited to Stardew Valley and nothing else.

I got that too. Its annoying.
Ah, OK. Definitely a sound glitch with this game then. Hopefully they fix it soon.

Named my farm Blues Farm... Now it fucking appears as Blues Farm Farm. 2 seasons in. Fucking resent my save every time I load it. Gawd!

Seems to be a bit of a UI issue on your build screen for example items on the 2nd or 3rd row sometimes can't be highlighted unless you have the materials but hard to tell what materials you need without being able to highlight.

Aside from that and the sound glitch I sunk most of the night on it lol fishing is fun once you get the hang of it too!

Mediking

I said earlier in this thread that this was also my 1st time playing and I'm more lost than a kid in the Lost Woods in Ocarina of Time.

My Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing skills need to kick in.

I'm very hesitant to buy anything and I'm trying to hunt down all the townspeople to fill out that quest.

There's alotta charm. I can already tell and I'm just on the 3rd day.

But the controls... man, these are taking a while to get used to. I immediately put on Auto-Run in settings.

Seems to be a bit of a UI issue on your build screen for example items on the 2nd or 3rd row sometimes can't be highlighted unless you have the materials but hard to tell what materials you need without being able to highlight.

Aside from that and the sound glitch I sunk most of the night on it lol fishing is fun once you get the hang of it too!

Yeah I noticed the one about not being able to highlight some things on the build screen as well. I had to enable the option to use cursor controls in menus to highlight them.

Reddit says the controls are really bad, like real bad (worse compared to PC and PS4). How true is that?

They're fine, but there's a couple of weird things with the menus. Not being able to select certain things in the build menu for one, and also it doesn't seem to be possible to drop items.

Shahadan

The funniest thing is having a functional cursor built and usable with the right stick, but you can't use it in the menus lol

Reddit says the controls are really bad, like real bad (worse compared to PC and PS4). How true is that?

I do not see the problem. The one big issue I had was trying to open the journal by moving the pointer over the little "!" icon, but then I realized that was mapped to the minus button on the left Joycon.

I would love some touch options in the future, but apart from those there really is nothing wrong.

Shahadan

I don't think you can even access the community center button in the menu either. I haven't had any success at least

Tunahead

I don't think you can even access the community center button in the menu either. I haven't had any success at least

I just pressed right on the inventory screen until I arrived at the community center and sort buttons.

The real tricksy one is the sort button in the chest window which is to the right of the chest slots but you have to press right on the inventory slots and then go up from there.

Shahadan

I just pressed right on the inventory screen until I arrived at the community center and sort buttons.

Didn't work for me yesterday but glad to know that's at least possible, lol
I couldn't highlight the camp fire in the crafting menu either no matter what I did but it fixed itself after I rebooted because of the audio issue. Maybe it'll work for the CCenter button too.

Yeah I noticed the one about not being able to highlight some things on the build screen as well. I had to enable the option to use cursor controls in menus to highlight them.

Thanks at least I can use that as a workaround until it's fixed =)

Didn't work for me yesterday but glad to know that's at least possible, lol
I couldn't highlight the camp fire in the crafting menu either no matter what I did but it fixed itself after I rebooted because of the audio issue. Maybe it'll work for the CCenter button too.

I think B button has that tab missing but hitting + it will be there lol, another odd bug it seems

Dremorak

Banned
I said earlier in this thread that this was also my 1st time playing and I'm more lost than a kid in the Lost Woods in Ocarina of Time.

My Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing skills need to kick in.

I'm very hesitant to buy anything and I'm trying to hunt down all the townspeople to fill out that quest.

There's alotta charm. I can already tell and I'm just on the 3rd day.

But the controls... man, these are taking a while to get used to. I immediately put on Auto-Run in settings.

Doesnt auto run only affect when using the d-pad? Isnt using the stick running all the time anyway?

Robiin

Holy crap this game seems like a huge long term time-sink! I've just gotten through the first four or so days but I might have to give this up until January or something. I have to many games that I haven't finished yet.

The Switch is fucking crazy with the releases this year...

Oh and the audio bug - it seems like closing and opening the game again fixes it, at least temporarily. I'm not entirely sure what triggers it - possible going into and out of sleep mode?

Hoshigumi

Not an issue in this game, but in other games that don't have this feature (where the UI text becomes too small etc).

Has been Heroes has this issue, the text is so small on the TV that you can't read some of the tooltips if you are too far away.

Top Bottom