• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 PC performance thread

Playing the game the first minutes after loading a save, is a pain in the ass for me, stuttering is just too bad. Five minutes later or so, it feels smoother (or am I just getting used to it?).
I haven`t checked the CPU and GPU usage but my PC is dead silent while playing this...not a good sign.

dan2026

Eventually gave up trying to get this crap port to run at a stable 60fps and am just playing at 30fps with everything maxed.

No matter what settings I use from lowest to highest it will not run stably at 60fps.
Something is seriously messed up in this game.

scitek

Eventually gave up trying to get this crap port to run at a stable 60fps and am just playing at 30fps with everything maxed.

No matter what settings I use from lowest to highest it will not run stably at 60fps.
Something is seriously messed up in this game.
Maybe the game is fine and there's just something wrong with every PC in the world trying to run it.

dsk1210

Again, make sure to not use Nvidia control panel to v-sync. 3d application seems to sort out the random stuttering at 60fps.

ManuelG

Neo Member
My name is Manuel Guzman and I am part of NVIDIA Customer Care team. If you are experiencing stutter with this game, can you submit a feedback through our feedback form so that we can look into this? If possible also include screenshots of your in game graphics settings used and any NVIDIA Control Panel settings you changed from the default settings. You can send the screenshots to driverfeedback@nvidia.com. The NVIDIA feedback form is available from:

http://surveys.nvidia.com/index.jsp?pi=6e7ea6bb4a02641fa8f07694a40f8ac6

Thank you

Regards,
Manuel Guzman
NVIDIA Customer Care

Zeneric

Horrible stuttering mess on my 144hz/gsync 1080p monitor. Hovered between 62-68fps on High settings, and some were off.

6600k @ 4.5, 970, 16GB DDR4, SSD, win10.

Not touching TEW2 again till it's fixed.

My name is Manuel Guzman and I am part of NVIDIA Customer Care team. If you are experiencing stutter with this game, can you submit a feedback through our feedback form so that we can look into this? If possible also include screenshots of your in game graphics settings used and any NVIDIA Control Panel settings you changed from the default settings. You can send the screenshots to driverfeedback@nvidia.com. The NVIDIA feedback form is available from:

Thank you

Regards,
Manuel Guzman
NVIDIA Customer Care

Hi Manuel that's pretty awesome. I have no stutter but it doesnt matter if I use ultra or low settings I get about 45 fps average in 1080p on a gtx1060 3gb

Enclose

Thank you

Regards,
Manuel Guzman
NVIDIA Customer Care

Thanks for the help. Will give it a try.

AceFlame

Neo Member
Man, i was hoping they would do better with this port but that's outta the window. Is it the IdTech5 engine that's the issue? I'm running on a 6700K @4.4GHz and a GTX 1080 clocked at 2088GHz on the core. At 1440p my frame rate fluctuates between 55-80+ FPS. But the main problem i'm having is the frame times. It feels so jittery even though my monitor is 144Hz GSYNC, and the framerate sometimes drops significantly for a split second. Also my GPU usage never hits 100% usage EVER. FeelsBadMan. This is all on the High Preset btw.

Zeneric

Man, i was hoping they would do better with this port but that's outta the window. Is it the IdTech5 engine that's the issue? I'm running on a 6700K @4.4GHz and a GTX 1080 clocked at 2088GHz on the core. At 1440p my frame rate fluctuates between 55-80+ FPS. But the main problem i'm having is the frame times it feels so jittery. Also my GPU usage never hits 100% usage EVER. FeelsBadMan. This is all on the High Preset btw.

Yes, it's the engine. Was a mistake to stick with it for TEW2.

Man, i was hoping they would do better with this port but that's outta the window. Is it the IdTech5 engine that's the issue? I'm running on a 6700K @4.4GHz and a GTX 1080 clocked at 2088GHz on the core. At 1440p my frame rate fluctuates between 55-80+ FPS. But the main problem i'm having is the frame times. It feels so jittery even though my monitor is 144Hz GSYNC, and the framerate sometimes drops significantly for a split second. Also my GPU usage never hits 100% usage EVER. FeelsBadMan. This is all on the High Preset btw.

I know Dishonored 2 hates anything but an exact 60 FPS so this game may be same.

MaLDo

Depth of field option in high makes framerate worse than ultra setting.

Duxxy3

So I've got a couple pc's. Both using 1080p monitors

980 ti
16ram ram

Seems to be very solid 60fps on ultra. Plays much better than the original on this PC.

rx 470
8gb ram

Solid 60 fps on low. Can play it on higher settings at half frame rate.

Typical

Banned
Just spent an hour a so setting up.

Gtx 1080

I play one 4K TV. It does pretty much locked 30fps on ultra no AA @ 4K but just feels sluggish as hell and jitterry. Why does 30fps on PC feel so bad compared to 30fps on console which is fine by me?

Anyhow to get a lock at 60fps I’m having to drop down to 1080p ultra. And it feels and looks like butter, smooth and responsive. That’s the only way for me

I tried dropping to low setting at 4k not much affect on fps, other resolutions including 1440p whilst it says 60fps and is stable just doesn’t look or feel smooth compared to 1080p setting so sticking to 1080p.

Sad thing is my GPU is only at 1600mhz at 1080p so not even fully utilising it’s power which is 2ghz+ normally.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Are you forcing Anisotropic filtering in the video driver? id Tech 5 (derived) games don't like that.
Make sure it is set to Application Controlled in the game's profile.

Yeah, thats the first thing I made sure to check but it was on App controlled already. No idea what's causing it. It's a weird grid like set of lines, even on the title screen projector. On the Steam forum, someone else mentioned the same issue but nobody had a solution just yet.

Paragon

I play one 4K TV. It does pretty much locked 30fps on ultra no AA @ 4K but just feels sluggish as hell and jitterry. Why does 30fps on PC feel so bad compared to 30fps on console which is fine by me?
Make sure you are using half-refresh v-sync or v-sync with a 30Hz output and not a 30 FPS cap.

Yeah, thats the first thing I made sure to check but it was on App controlled already. No idea what's causing it. It's a weird grid like set of lines, even on the title screen projector. On the Steam forum, someone else mentioned the same issue but nobody had a solution just yet.
Try enabling "Prevent Anisotropic Filtering" in the game's profile using NVIDIA Profile Inspector if setting it to "Application-Controlled" and "Off [Linear]" is not working.

Damn it, I have a ryzen 5 1600 overclocked , gtx1080, and a 1400p gsync monitor 144hz. I can't even reach stable 60 fps ? The hell? I think I won't buy it for now, wait for a patch

FaintDeftone

In the middle of chapter 3 I hit a point (
in the truckstop area
) where the framerate tanked to 14 fps for a minute or two during a cutscene. It was really odd.

Running the game capped at 30fps on my GTX 970 when this happened.

Definitely getting weirdness coming out of this game at times.

Been getting PS4 level performance for the most part (capped 30) on my GTX 950 + FX6300 @ 1080p / medium-low

rIQJv6j.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn it, I have a ryzen 5 1600 overclocked , gtx1080, and a 1400p gsync monitor 144hz. I can't even reach stable 60 fps ? The hell? I think I won't buy it for now, wait for a patch

Damn, that's ugly.

Then again the first game (and Wolfenstein, so probaly an idTech 5 issue) are completely busted right now on the latest Windows 10 when using AMD hardware.

I've got a Ryzen 7 1700x @ 3.8 Ghz and a GTX Vega 64 machine, and TEW is capped at like 20ish FPS on it. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood runs at like a max of 40fps regardless of settings. I think it's a Windows 10 Creator's Update error, but it doesn't appear on Intel CPUs. My 6700k / GTX 1080 combo runs the first game flawlessly.

Conezays

In my case, regardless of settings (720p with everything on low, etc. 30fps or 60fps) I get very bad screen tearing. Is it time to put my 780Ti to bed? Probably. Aggravating as I probably should've just paid more to play it on PS4 to have it at 1080/30 without screen tearing. Seems decent enough so far (just got to Chapter 3).

And no refunds on GMG! 24 % off at least. Sigh.

Josman

Just refunded my copy, I can't believe they can still get away with their shit ports, is it so unreasonable to spend more on your consumers by using a different engine and have more people be able to buy your game ?

My 4670k and 1070 were stuttering at high settings, dropped down to med and I still get them. Not gonna support them until it's fixed

nkarafo

If people getting stutters and changing to low doesn't help then it must be an issue with syncing. That's the most annoying kind of technical problem a game can have IMO.

jrcbandit

Damn, that's ugly.

Then again the first game (and Wolfenstein, so probaly an idTech 5 issue) are completely busted right now on the latest Windows 10 when using AMD hardware.

I've got a Ryzen 7 1700x @ 3.8 Ghz and a GTX Vega 64 machine, and TEW is capped at like 20ish FPS on it. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood runs at like a max of 40fps regardless of settings. I think it's a Windows 10 Creator's Update error, but it doesn't appear on Intel CPUs. My 6700k / GTX 1080 combo runs the first game flawlessly.

It is definitely a problem with Windows 10 Creator Update from last Spring. If you have a Ryzen CPU, you need to update to the Windows 10 Fall Creator Update ASAP. It has gone RTM, so I got it that way. Fixed my problem in Shadow of War where the FPS was 40 no matter what resolution was set. Evil Within 2 with the Fall Creator Update runs at 60 FPS for me with a Ryzen 1700X, but I get the frame time stuttering when running around in the open areas in town.

Conezays

Anyone notice any benefits in frame rate between display-based and 30/60fps, etc.? As far as I could tell, there was no discernible difference on my end. Switching between Full Screen and Borderless also didn't seem to affect performance either way.

Paragon

Tried this and nothing. Sigh. Thanks for the advice though.
Can you post a screenshot?
My assumption was that it looked the same as the original game (and others like Wolfenstein: TNO / Rage) when you have AF enabled in the driver.

If people getting stutters and changing to low doesn't help then it must be an issue with syncing. That's the most annoying kind of technical problem a game can have IMO.
Unfortunately it's a common issue across most id Tech 5 / id Tech 5-derived games.
G-Sync fixes the problem in most, but not Dishonored 2/Death of the Outsider. For those, you need the in-game limiter set to 60 FPS. (and need to be never dropping frames)

Sanctuary

Like I said in the Pro thread, I was able to eliminate the game feeling like it was slowing down like an old 16-bit game when it stutters. It's the stupidest thing ever, and probably isn't a panacea for everyone, but turn off Camera Motion Blur. That shouldn't have the kind of effect that it does, but my game went from borderline unplayable to one that I could at least adjust to.

Also, has anyone found out which intro movies to rename? I'm tired of having to wait for 30s of developer and engine splash screens to finish before being able to actually start the game.

Mister Wolf

AMD-8370
GTX 1080
32GB RAM 1333 Mhz
DOF, M&O BLUR, LOD, AA OFF
90 FOV
HIGH SETTINGS
1080p

Stays at 60fps for the most part(Chapter 2) with occasional drops. Will play with the 60fps cap instead of Vsync since the game doesn't seem to screen tear. Stutters every now and then isn't a deal breaker for me.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm getting a stable 30 on Ultra with a 1060, so that's nice.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Really sad how this turned out, the trailers got me so hyped for it and now it's unlikely I'll ever play it unless it's fixed, I have no interest in playing at 30fps or with stuttering.

Akronis

Really sad how this turned out, the trailers got me so hyped for it and now it's unlikely I'll ever play it unless it's fixed, I have no interest in playing at 30fps or with stuttering.

I have it locked to 60 and it's fine. Game is great.

J_Viper

Has anyone's GeForce Experience picked this up yet? Mine hasn't

Btw, how do I go about playing a game at 30 FPS without it looking like garbage on a GSYNC monitor? When I try to lock it at 30 FPS, it feels way worse than 30 on a console

Edit: You know what, I'm just going to delete this and hope for a patch soon. I'm not too upset because I only paid $32, but man wtf Tango

dr_rus

TEW1 was largely fixed with a patch 2 months after release - provided that your CPU is fast enough to handle id Tech 5.
It mostly ran on two threads at launch, causing low GPU-utilization. It now scales well to a large number of threads since that patch - to at least 8c/16t CPUs.
Hopefully they will be able to fix whatever is causing the low CPU and GPU utilization with TEW2 - though games shouldn't ship in this state.

I remember playing TEW1 with Reshade's SMAA because I couldn't get DSR to work so I'm not so sure that it can be considered fixed even now. It did run at pretty much locked 60@1080p for me back then on a GTX980Ti though.

How do you update this windows 10 fall thing ? Is the regular Windows update ?

Yes and it's coming on 17th so at this point you can just wait till Tuesday.

I experienced the worst of the performance issues in the beginning, but once I hit Chapter 2 and applied these settings, it's been great. I have been getting a locked 60fps, mostly 16.66ms frame times, but there has been some stutter. I just reached Chapter 3.

Borderless
2560x1440

FOV/FG 65ish

Disabled

VSync
Chromatic Aberration
Camera and Object Motion Blur

Motion Blur Quality Low.../shrug

Everything else Enabled/High/Ultra

GPU is down around 50% most of the time.

Windows10
6600K@4.3GHz
GTX 1070@1949MHz
16GB DDR4 3000MHz

Using MSI Afterburner for metrics and RTSS for 60fps cap

Conezays

Like I said in the Pro thread, I was able to eliminate the game feeling like it was slowing down like an old 16-bit game when it stutters. It's the stupidest thing ever, and probably isn't a panacea for everyone, but turn off Camera Motion Blur. That shouldn't have the kind of effect that it does, but my game went from borderline unplayable to one that I could at least adjust to.

Also, has anyone found out which intro movies to rename? I'm tired of having to wait for 30s of developer and engine splash screens to finish before being able to actually start the game.

Hasn't eliminated screen tearing completely but probably the best best performance with the above and settings on low (lol) with 60 FPS thus far for me. Thanks.

J_Viper

I experienced the worst of the performance issues in the beginning, but once I hit Chapter 2 and applied these settings, it's been great. I have been getting a locked 60fps, mostly 16.66ms frame times, but there has been some stutter. I just reached Chapter 3.

Borderless
2560x1440

FOV/FG 65ish

Disabled

VSync
Chromatic Aberration
Camera and Object Motion Blur

Motion Blur Quality Low.../shrug

Everything else High/Ultra

GPU is down around 50% most of the time.

Windows10
6600K@4.3GHz
GTX 1070@1949MHz
16GB DDR4 3000MHz

Using MSI Afterburner for metrics and RTSS for 60fps cap

You have pretty much my same specs, but I couldn't get hit 60 at any setting, even tried Medium, but was still trapped in 30-40 FPS purgatory

Turned off all blur, v-sync, and CA too

Top Bottom