• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer Quest 2: The End Times |OT| Dungeon adventures on the go

rIUYOtLl.jpg

$4.99, iPad/iPhone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfh7OdbkV7I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9lZmATn3Q8

In Warhammer Quest 2: The End Times, you will lead your warriors across a war torn land and into dungeons for wealth and glory! Swing swords, fire arrows and cast spells as you fight through the denizens of Chaos. Success in battle is rewarded with new weapons, armours, skills and treasure.

Be on your guard as you travel through a world in turmoil. The road holds danger for the heedless traveller, but rich rewards for the wary. Visit towns to barter in markets, level up your warriors and discover new quests.

Experience all the peril and danger as you battle your enemies through beautiful, full 3D dungeons. Encounters come to life as your warriors enter the fray with a vast array of weapons and skills. Hold your enemies back with fire, use ice to freeze them to the spot. Attack with magic staffs, explosive pistols and flaming hammers. If all else fails use legendary armour or mystical robes to deflect attacks.

Easy to learn, hard to master. Engage in deep tactical gameplay as you encounter new enemies with new devious abilities.

$4.99 Expansion at launch
ZA4QRLXl.jpg

I remember playing the board game back in the '90s with some friends, but I was too young to really appreciate it back then. I honestly think a re-release could do well these days with there being something of a resurgence in tabletop gaming.

Daigoro

I remember playing the board game back in the '90s with some friends, but I was too young to really appreciate it back then. I honestly think a re-release could do well these days with there being something of a resurgence in tabletop gaming.

apparently there was one recently. just saw an unboxing on youtube.

PittaGAF

May Sigmar guide your steps!!!!

Some pics I took earlier last night while playing.
It’s a great game that you can play for tons of hours....Fantasy dungeon crawling at its finest. Hands down my GOTY.

awp69

Beautiful game, but dang this is quite a bit harder than I expected. Got wiped out in the first dungeon (after the prologue).

PittaGAF

Beautiful game, but dang this is quite a bit harder than I expected. Got wiped out in the first dungeon (after the prologue).

Can I help?
Be sure to cure any serious wounds you got after defeat if possible.
I don’t recall if they are important at the start but also be sure to check enemy resistance (if any) to be effective.
Always keep in mind AP consumption for your heroes AND enemies, expecially nearest ones (you can check how many AP they will use to strike...so you can let them near and be sure you will strike first).

They did a new version (The Silver Tower) a couple years ago and just released another game Shadows over Hammerhal more recently.

PittaGAF

Games Workshop actually released TWO Warhammer Quest last 2 years.
First is Silver Tower (fully co op), my favorite boardgame in recent years, second is Shadow over Hammerfall (same mechanics but this requires a DM, personally I prefer fully co op so I like ST much more).

This digital game (and his predecessor) well capture the nature of the original boardgame.

EDIT: beaten!

Is the first game worth it on PS4? It's 10€ in the current EU deals. I remember reading something about lots of microtransactions to get the full experience. Is the PS4 version of the first game the complete package?

Just played through the first few missions of this and seems very enjoyable so far. Certainly the stuff I learnt from combating the Tyranids in Deathwatch helped hit the ground running in this game. The entire combat system feels like an evolution from that game. I dunno what their plans are but I hope they add an ogre hero in with future developments, their was one in their first game and the setting of this one has even more precedent for them working with the Empire.

awp69

Can I help?
Be sure to cure any serious wounds you got after defeat if possible.
I don’t recall if they are important at the start but also be sure to check enemy resistance (if any) to be effective.
Always keep in mind AP consumption for your heroes AND enemies, expecially nearest ones (you can check how many AP they will use to strike...so you can let them near and be sure you will strike first).

I’m doing better. Actually got through that dungeon on the next try with everyone alive. I think I just somehow managed to back myself into a corner the first time I got wiped out. And my healer got killed first so that was huge. Was more careful with him the next run.

Does feel like they elevated the difficulty overall but I still love it. And agree with One Foul Note that this feels more like an extension and evolution of Deathwatch’s combat more so that the first WHQ. Good stuff!

The original was wonderful so I'm looking forward to getting into this :) Gonna have to borrow an iphone or ipad to play it for now til it hits Android though.

PittaGAF

I’m doing better. Actually got through that dungeon on the next try with everyone alive. I think I just somehow managed to back myself into a corner the first time I got wiped out. And my healer got killed first so that was huge. Was more careful with him the next run.

Does feel like they elevated the difficulty overall but I still love it. And agree with One Foul Note that this feels more like an extension and evolution of Deathwatch’s combat more so that the first WHQ. Good stuff!

Cool :)
Actually, maybe it’s my fault....I asked for upping up the difficulty several times.
I think you will change your mind playing more tough.
While this game relies on the experience of both WHQ and DW, I find it much more similar to WHQ than DW.
Gameplay loop is really the WHQ signature, white quests, inventory, shops and all that.
Of course the mechanics borrow some things from both so it’s easy to see it similar with DW with the skills/usage per dungeon/even the UI.
But this is imho the best game, mechanics wise...it’s simple and elegant, yet it allows for EXTREME diversity and customization.

You’ll see!!!! :)

So two mechanics questions, do enemies use two pips to attack like you do (for most weapons you got), also can enemies attack multiple times per turn like you can. I feel like I have seen most enemies not attack more then once even if they would have had the pips to do so but it’s not always obvious. It can be easy to misjudge a two attacks into a single one that hits twice.

PittaGAF

So two mechanics questions, do enemies use two pips to attack like you do (for most weapons you got), also can enemies attack multiple times per turn like you can. I feel like I have seen most enemies not attack more then once even if they would have had the pips to do so but it's not always obvious. It can be easy to misjudge a two attacks into a single one that hits twice.

Enemies can definitely attack you more than once.
You can see how many AP their attack needs in the lower right corner, when you select the enemy.
So you can actually ‘count' how many AP they need to get to you and hit...so you can calculate where to stop to be sure to hit first.
First enemies require 3 AP if I recall well....so that's why they get to you without hitting you.
Don't worry....later in the game they will hide, retreat, and try to get to you and do all sort of things :p

Weapons can have all sort of AP requirements anyway.
I've 1 AP weapons, 5 AP weapons, 2, 3.....anything.
There are ways to control you AP or change AP requirements....but I don't want to spoil all the fun.

EDIT: I forgot, some enemies have more than one weapon.

Enemies can definitely attack you more than once.
You can see how many AP their attack needs in the lower right corner, when you select the enemy.

Oh cheers, I didn’t know you can actually see the pip count enemies need to attack. That’s very handy to know. Now the only problem I have is do I buy the Slayer now or wait till I am into the Scaven campaign.

PittaGAF

Oh cheers, I didn’t know you can actually see the pip count enemies need to attack. That’s very handy to know. Now the only problem I have is do I buy the Slayer now or wait till I am into the Scaven campaign.

Well...the Skaven campaign is pretty hard, especially towards the end...so you will want leveled up characters by then.
You can always play now and when you feel confident you need the dwarf, you will find many hanging out in the taverns :D

I have still to try a full dwarven party.

PittaGAF

Is there an in game help system? I missed the importance of the different types of weapons..

There isn't sadly, but it work like this.

Every weapon can be:

piercing (like arrows)
crushing (like hammers)
slashing (like swords)

Every armor (or enemy skin) has none or some protection against some types....so if you are going into a Troll dungeon, be sure to bring crushing weapons because swords won't do any damage to them.

You can see all this in the weapon icon and enemy panel/char panel.

Actually....specific resistances really kick in in the second campaign, where a balanced party can be very beneficial because you will meet many different types of enemies with many different resistances.

Hope it's clear!!!

PittaGAF

Is this one a micro transaction heavy title?

Not at all.
It's premium with paid DLC in the form of a full blown additional campaign (new story, monsters, tile sets), or new usable characters.
There is the possibility of buying gold, but it's like cheating (it's there to help inexperienced people, but it ruins all the fun...I actually think nobody will ever buy those).

Even without buying anything extra, you have massive campaign and infinite random dungeon quests....as the original boardgame.

forms

Not at all.
It's premium with paid DLC in the form of a full blown additional campaign (new story, monsters, tile sets), or new usable characters.
There is the possibility of buying gold, but it's like cheating (it's there to help inexperienced people, but it ruins all the fun...I actually think nobody will ever buy those).

Even without buying anything extra, you have massive campaign and infinite random dungeon quests....as the original boardgame.

..but you can buy in-game currency with real world cash? And the in-game currency is used for gameplay advantages? :D

wuth

Huh, totally bypassed me somehow.

It's pretty fun, though it takes place in the new Age of Sigmar world which is far more Masters of the Universe than Dark Tolkien. I played with a bunch of non-wargamer friends and they really enjoyed the mechanics while I enjoyed painting the heroes.

Any issues with crashing? There are only two reviews on the iTunes store, both one star, that say it's unplayable

I've just encountered this problem. I finished the level 'Cryptic' and the game crashes straight after and whenever I try to load that party now it just crashes. Might want to hold off buying this till they hopefully patch this issue out.

Edit: Just saw the devs post on the TA forums and apparently this is a memory leak issue with anyone not on iOS11. Now this can't be the whole story because I am on 11, although I haven't downloaded the latest firmware mini patch. Downloading that now, hopefully that will fix it but they also say they are pushing a app update that will help the issue although they don't sound 100% confident. I'll post as to if it works after the patch, see how it goes.

Edit2: Okay, downloaded the very latest version of the iOS firmware and the crash still happens. I can start a new party but I don't really feel happy playing back to where I was without some kind of reassurance the crash won't happen again.

PittaGAF

..but you can buy in-game currency with real world cash? And the in-game currency is used for gameplay advantages? :D

Well...it’s not a competitive game.
If someone want to buy with real cash in game gold to buy everything from the shops (to level up you still have to earn XP by playing).....well that’s stupid imho but....yeah it’s possible.
They would probably buy a ‘pay 100 dollars and complete the game without playing’ iap too. :p

awp69

Really loving this. One small complaint is that when you’re at a market there’s no way to directly compare current equipment to what you are looking at. Seems like a function that most modern RPGs have these days.

PittaGAF

Really loving this. One small complaint is that when you’re at a market there’s no way to directly compare current equipment to what you are looking at. Seems like a function that most modern RPGs have these days.

Someone on TA has gone to great lengths moaning about that.
TBH it didn’t bother me that much as I remember who has what (you don’t have tons of items) but yeah it would be nice if it was a bit more friendly.

When you are in the shop, you can see what you have (not equipped) pressing sell. In the char screen they show only equppable items which is cool.

But yeah UI could be improved there.

I'm not going to port beg... but man, I grew up loving WHQ (and play Shadows of Brimstone, its spiritual successor weekly to this day), and loved the original PC game on Steam. I really wish this was available anywhere other than just mobile devices.

PittaGAF

I'm not going to port beg... but man, I grew up loving WHQ (and play Shadows of Brimstone, its spiritual successor weekly to this day), and loved the original PC game on Steam. I really wish this was available anywhere other than just mobile devices.

Did you try Silver Tower?
Me and my son love it. Actually I like the mechanics better than the original WHQ.
Silver Tower PLUS Shadow over Hammeral basically are the Old WHQ combined.

PittaGAF

I've just encountered this problem. I finished the level 'Cryptic' and the game crashes straight after and whenever I try to load that party now it just crashes. Might want to hold off buying this till they hopefully patch this issue out.

Edit: Just saw the devs post on the TA forums and apparently this is a memory leak issue with anyone not on iOS11. Now this can't be the whole story because I am on 11, although I haven't downloaded the latest firmware mini patch. Downloading that now, hopefully that will fix it but they also say they are pushing a app update that will help the issue although they don't sound 100% confident. I'll post as to if it works after the patch, see how it goes.

Edit2: Okay, downloaded the very latest version of the iOS firmware and the crash still happens. I can start a new party but I don't really feel happy playing back to where I was without some kind of reassurance the crash won't happen again.

I’m sorry to hear that, just when things were getting interesting.
I have yet to download the final version but I’m under the impression I’m one version ahead.
If that’s the case, I’m hopeful the (imminent I’m told) update will solve your problems, because it is way less memory intensive.

Did you try Silver Tower?
Me and my son love it. Actually I like the mechanics better than the original WHQ.
Silver Tower PLUS Shadow over Hammeral basically are the Old WHQ combined.

I only played Silver Tower which was abysmal, and shallow. It was soooo rules light and clipped out most of what made WHQ special. I'm told Shadow over Hammerhal improved it a fair bit, but by then we were out.

Shadows of Brimstone, if you don't mind the theme, is magnificent though, out Warhammer Questing the original WHQ. :p

PittaGAF

I only played Silver Tower which was abysmal, and shallow. It was soooo rules light and clipped out most of what made WHQ special. I'm told Shadow over Hammerhal improved it a fair bit, but by then we were out.

Shadows of Brimstone, if you don't mind the theme, is magnificent though, out Warhammer Questing the original WHQ. :p

Yeah I know Brimstone, played it a bit...but I actually don’t like the setting nor the rules ;)
Meanwhile I think I’ve completed Silver Tower 3 Times by now, plus many ‘single dungeon’ runs.

Personally I don’t like Hammerhal because it’s not fully coop, but it’s ok with a good master (played only twice tough).

HotHamBoy

It's bound to be ported to other platforms

HotHamBoy

Well...it’s not a competitive game.
If someone want to buy with real cash in game gold to buy everything from the shops (to level up you still have to earn XP by playing).....well that’s stupid imho but....yeah it’s possible.
They would probably buy a ‘pay 100 dollars and complete the game without playing’ iap too. :p

IMO this is like a really round-about (and potentially expensive) way of selling an easier difficulty mode.

Considering how much flak difficulty modes get when sold as DLC it's kinda funny to see it get a pass in this form.

Top Bottom