• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A few more Ratchet and Clank Future details

Azrael

- There will be spaceship battles, and they will return to the arcade style of the first game, rather than the wannabe Colony Wars/Wing Commander sequences of Going Commando.
- Rail gliding levels will be back for the first time since Going Commando. The article doesn't say if the rail gliding or spaceship sections will use motion control, although it would be nice.
- Competitive online multiplayer is in the air and may not be included. Online co-op is more likely, but not 100% confirmed.
- Captain Quark will return, and will be the only returning supporting character.
-
Some new characters mentioned are Cronk, Zephyr and Willie, a trio of decrepit, outdated robots who each think they're superior to the other two. Cronk is quite proud of his Blu-ray technology, while Zephyr has advanced online connectivity and Willie spazes out and flails around battle. Willie was killed on their last mission.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Azrael said:
-
decrepit, outdated robots who each think they're superior to the other two. Cronk is quite proud of his HD-DVD technology,

Fixed. :D

Sounds great...guess I'll have to catch up on this whole franchise then.

Wollan

What the..
the 'console wars' is the main bad guys? Zephyr being quite proud of his online technology hehe.

AAK said:
No online multiplayer deathmatch? whatdog.gif
Where did it say that? It said up in the air, and frankly I want a great single player experience. I never liked Rachet online, they need to focus on taking the franchise back to it's roots.

Wollan

Well they have said before that the R&C games didn't attract as much people online as they wanted to which Resistance does so that may be a reason.

JB1981

Great single player and online co-op is perfect. I'll probably be playing Halo 3 online when this debuts anyway. :)

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
The
Console War Robots
are brilliant. I love insomniac... Now they just have to think of a better title. This doesn't do the franchise justice.

AniHawk

God I hope this returns the series to the action platforming bliss that was Going Commando.

I'm glad Insomniac is continuing this series. Would've hated to see it outsourced to other developers until the end of time.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
kenta said:
Read the whole article for yourself - get this month's EGM free in digital form:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141497

Other tidbits included in the article:

- 2x larger worlds than the PS2 games
- Can handle 15 enemies onscreen now (PS2 versions topped out at 10), maybe more with optimization
- Tornado launcher weapon launches tornadoes whose path can be controlled with sixaxis tilt while you can still move Ratchet with left analog. Not discussed in the article, but can you imagine how this weapon might evolve if they bring back the weapon leveling system from the later games?
- On that note there is absolutely no mention of RPG elements in this game, nor indication of leaving them out either
- Said they were returning to the gameplay balance of the earlier games, 60/40ish action shooting vs. platforming

Azrael said:
-
Some new characters mentioned are Cronk, Zephyr and Willie, a trio of decrepit, outdated robots who each think they're superior to the other two. Cronk is quite proud of his Blu-ray technology, while Zephyr has advanced online connectivity and Willie spazes out and flails around battle. Willie was killed on their last mission.

:lol

That's just awesome.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The three villains concept is absolutely brilliant idea. Just incredible. Major props to whoever thought of that in Insomniac.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I don't think those robots are actually the villains of the game, or not the main villains. The main villain apparently wants to
wipe out the Lombax race (Ratchet)
and Insomniac seems to want to set the stage for an "epic" overarching storyline for the next few R&C games.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
More platforming is nice. I hope they retain the rpg elements and give us some more of the Faux Mega man areas with Quark.

J-Rzez

The trio thing is brilliant... :lol I love Insomniac's humor in the Rachet series... I wonder if they'd get someone else to do instead of Courtney Gears this time... Some kinda spoof of Fallout Boy, 50cent, or J-lo would do...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
They mention that they're on the fence about the online MP because the online MP in previous R&C games didn't get much attention from PS2 gamers who were more interested in the likes of SOCOM (you a$$#oles!)

This is weird though... looking at the shots in the mag, does it seem like the Ratchet model in the first screen is lacking some features, most notably in terms of fur around his ears?

Dante

AltogetherAndrews said:
This is weird though... looking at the shots in the mag, does it seem like the Ratchet model in the first screen is lacking some features, most notably in terms of fur around his ears?

There was fur around his ears in the EGM shots.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
yeah... that was just a bug with that screen i believe...

ayways, hanging with chespace at the moment, so im off!

ROFL

Hail Britannia
GreenGlowingGoo said:
The
Console War Robots
are brilliant. I love insomniac... Now they just have to think of a better title. This doesn't do the franchise justice.

I like the title. It's like in a song.... You want the first 2 verses to be kind of the same, but the third one has to change it up a bit...

Going Commando
Up Your Arsenal
Tools of Destruction!

Come on, anyone who doesn't think that's got perfect rhythm and structure must be a complete...
spanner.

(Note for Americans in the audience: See Urban Dictionary for translation. This is a "light hearted comment" and no offense intended)

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
kaching said:
- Can handle 15 enemies onscreen now (PS2 versions topped out at 10), maybe more with optimization\

that doesn't sound right.

teiresias

They shouldn't be too overt with those three robot characters, the one robot should be very impressed with his Blu-Beam drive.

Top Bottom