• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pandemic developing a new Wii kids title?

argon

Sorry if this is old news.. Haven't heard this before. Must be one of the 6 confirmed next-gen titles in development by the studio. Could it be a new Army Men or Destroy All Humans game?

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/mar2007/tc20070307_156429.htm

Pandemic Studios, which plans to release a war game called Mercenaries 2: World in Flames for the PS3 and 360 in August, is quietly developing a concept title for the Wii that could attract younger players, says Chief Executive Andrew Goldman. "The problem with the game business a couple of years ago is it had just gotten stale. We'd lost ground to MySpace.com NWS and other places where there were innovative experiences being developed," he says. "The Wii does something new, and draws people back in."

Also, Wii development is ramping up for the holiday season. Hopefully this will mean more support and less ports, but I'm skeptical.

Scott Orr, president of developer D2C Games, and the creator of the blockbuster John Madden Football game in the '90s, says publishers including Activision ATVI, Electronic Arts (ERTS), and THQ (THQI) are also taking a closer look at Nintendo. "There's definitely a heightened interest in the Wii compared with last summer," he says. "Publishers who were sitting on the sidelines at the beginning are ramping up to support it by this Christmas."

Atari won't release its first PS3 game until next year, but doubled its Wii development budget to $20 million, Bonnell says. Starting this Christmas, Atari plans to release five games a year for the Wii, up from an initial plan of two.

bluemax

Banned
I'll be interested to see how the take their expertise in developing third person shooters to the Wii children's game market.

You've got my resume Pandemic, I'd love to work on this game!

adg1034

Wiitard said:
Awesome!

Billy did not let you play in the sandbox. Calling in for airstrike. Poor Billy.

Wait a second... that was funny! You're... you're not a Sony shill... But how?

Burrows

Banned
JDSN said:
What do you mean by "Real games"?
Well, take a look at all the shovelware on the Wii. Take your pick, and think something OPPOSITE.

We don't need a ridiculous sub-PS2 port of Mercenaries 2, in other words, or some playground game with good physics (sandbox games don't count!).

JDSN

Banned
Burrows said:
Well, take a look at all the shovelware on the Wii. Take your pick, and think something OPPOSITE.

We don't need a ridiculous sub-PS2 port of Mercenaries 2, in other words, or some playground game with good physics (sandbox games don't count!).

Ok, good to know this is a port of a game, thanks for the info.

Linkup

I hope it's more in line with Dewy's Adventure kiddie than elmo's world kiddie.

wsippel said:
Atari develops five Wii titles with a combined budget of only $20 million!?

wouldn't be surprised it that was more than most devs.

Burrows

Banned
Why companies waste their money making crap boggles me.

I could use 4 million dollars and do more with it than ATARI :D.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
temp said:
"Wii kids title" is starting to become redundant.

Yeah, like Manhunt 2 and No more heroes... Lousy kid games.

Also... Since when was the video game industry competing with Myspace?

edit: Oh, and attracting younger players, doesn't equal excluding older players.

I would be fine with this game if it was fun for all ages - like Mario. If it's kid-focused then I'm going to struggle to enjoy it, because the game will be naturally over-simplistic and not appeal aesthetically to my needs.

Top Bottom