• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CING's Project O(wii) details.

JDSN

Banned
March 9, 2007 - The makers of Wish Room, Harvest Moon, Chulip, Final Fantasy XII and Dragon Quest VIII are teaming up for a new super project for the Wii. Project O (a tentative name, of course) has just started development at two southern Japanese development studios, Cing and Town Factory, to be published in Japan by Marvelous Interactive.

This title is already getting attention due to its growing list of development talent. Serving as producer is Marvelous Interactive's Yasuhiro Wada, general producer of the Harvest Moon series. The game's designer is Yoshiro Kimura, who worked on moon (PlayStation) and Chulip (PS2), and has signed on as a contractor for Marvelous in order to do this title. Another key member of the Harvest Moon series is also reportedly working on the game. Kimura also brought in Kazuyuki Kurashima, another staff member from the moon days.

Not enough for you? Well here are a couple of guys who's past games you'll definitely recognize. Project O's main programmer is Youichi Kawaguchi, the main programmer of Dragon Quest VIII. Serving as art director is Hideo Minaba, the art director of Final Fantsay XII. Minaba, incidentally, now works at Town Factory.

Wada and Kimura shared a handful of first details on the new project with Japan's Famitsu magazine. And by "handful," we really mean just a few! In fact, even after reading a three page interview, we're not 100% sure what the game is going to be like.

Wada revealed that his inspiration for Project O originally came from a Doraemon toy set. Similar to the "secret tools" that appear in the popular children's animation series, Wada imagined a tool that allows players to create a world, give it life, and observe the subsequent happenings. He likens this to the game Sim Earth. But in addition to a distant view of the world, he wanted to let players experience the world from the first person perspective of one of its residents. He likens this to Sim People.

Project O started with the idea of being a combination of Sim People and Sim Earth. But it's since become something a bit different, thanks to the influences Kimura took from Norikazu Yasunagano, who created World Neverland for the PlayStation back in 1997. That title was a "life simulation," where players could experience the relationships between artificial intelligence driven characters.

Which at long last brings us to a vague statement describing the kind of game we'll be getting with Project O. The game will combine the life simulation elements of World Neverland with the presentation of Kimura's own Chulip. On top of all that are simulation elements from Harvest Moon. The game will feature simulation, adventure and even a few real time action elements.

The simulation elements will push the Wii to the limit, promised Wada. When in the god's perspective, the game will display dozens of characters simultaneously, each moving using unique AI routines.

Another big point, mentioned Wada, is that on top of the simulation elements, the game will deliver the feeling of being part of a storyline. In the interview, he promised something different from any previous game. Kimura chimed in and noted that there's one exception: the Harvest Moon series. Kimura feels that Project O will be similar to Harvest Moon in that it will feature a loose storyline surrounding the simulation gameplay.

If all this seems conceptual, that's because it may just be. The game is currently being worked on by just the six staffers mentioned here, with the hunt currently on for the seventh staff member, a musician. Marvelous has also started seeking designers, programmers, planners and assistant directors for the game proper, and has placed a big two page advertisement in this week's Famitsu.

We're going to have to wait until 2008 to play this potential dream project for the Wii.

Link

I hope they release it on the states.

ivysaur12

Banned
OOoooohhh... interesting.

A Harvest Moon-esque game with an awesome artist and some ace story tellers. Color me interested.

EDIT: Let's just hope the Wiimote is used in more novel ways than in Harvest Moon Wii >.<

I liked what they tried doing with Hotel Dusk, even if I didn't like the game so much. Seeing as how this is sort of a "super group" putting together this game, my hopes are pretty high without knowing much about it at all. I can say with 87% certainty that I will buy it anyways.

Man, I'm on such a Wii / Mario high right now.

Krowley

Very interesting. I love these kinds of games and i've been thinking the wii was a good platform for god games.

Wolf Beil

Banned
The collaboration thing sounds very nice. But I really need more info. It sounds like a project that's barely getting started.

ethelred

HyperZone<3 said:
so its Actraiser without the sword and jumping stuff.

I kinda got a similar vibe as well... a feeling of something kinda like an evolution of the god portions of ActRaiser.

Details are sketchy, but no matter -- I think what they describe sounds awesome, and I'm totally sold on it even if just for the people involved. Moon was fantastic, and the guys who departed from Lovedelic are all really talented in so many ways. I also loved Hotel Dusk, so CING's involvement is a big plus for me. And Hideo Minaba's one of my top game artists.

I'm really eager to hear more once they get the project off the ground.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I am cautiously optimistic. You know, the whole too-many-cooks-in-one-kitchen thing. I definitely respect each individually; it will be interesting to see what they do together.

While I was reading the preview, I thought of how cool it would be to see different games really embrace the FFXII-style AI-modification, especially in a game like this. You could have a whole city/army/etc with reactions based on if-then statements that you yourself have decided. It could be quite cool.

ethelred

PantherLotus said:
I am cautiously optimistic. You know, the whole too-many-cooks-in-one-kitchen thing. I definitely respect each individually; it will be interesting to see what they do together.

While I was reading the preview, I thought of how cool it would be to see different games really embrace the FFXII-style AI-modification, especially in a game like this. You could have a whole city/army/etc with reactions based on if-then statements that you yourself have decided. It could be quite cool.

I don't know about "too many cooks" -- it's not like the game's going to have seven co-directors, each of which is going to consider themselves in charge of the overall project thus leading to creative clashes.

They each have a specialty and are contributing to that one specific area -- scenario, composition, character design, programming, game design, etc. It's the same staff setup that exists for pretty much every game made, the only difference is that the producer (the one guy in charge) is bringing in talent from different development teams to fill those roles.

Koomaster

How odd, we finally get Chulip and now an announced game from one of the makers of Chulip. The talent behind this is great and my hype meter just broke because of it; even tho I know almost nothing of the game.

Anticipation +1

TreIII

Alkaliine said:
Wow, nice list of devs. Definitely builds up my anticipation - this is the kind of stuff I like to see on Wii.

Same here. I'm also hoping that the same ActRaiser vibe that ethelred and I share comes to pass. Been way too long since such a game graced the industry, and if Square Enix won't deliver, then these guys are certainly poised to do the job themselves...

Definitely will keep an on this one...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Sooooo hot. Want to touch the code.

Avrum

Hot damn, talk about a primo cast. Reading that just made me wish there was more text so I could continue reading. :)

Eteric Rice

Wow, people from both Final Fantasy XII and Dragon Quest VIII, as well as Harvest Moon.

It sound awesome, too!

Consider this bought.

Speevy

Banned
From the director of Dragon Quest...
And the level designer for Super Mario 64...
And the art director of Killer 7...

Comes a World War 2 shooter unlike any you've played before.

Juice

Well that's a pretty solid ****ing dream team they've got going. Since each of the big names are in well-defined roles, I could see this working pretty well.

The one thing I noticed in the names was that the roles of each developer mentioned really play to their strengths. In particular, it's good to see that the lead programmer doesn't come from the Harvest Moon franchise; that probably ensures us that it won't be riddled with bugs on initial release.

Mockingbird said:
Wait if the game is only being worked on by those 6 staffets how does Cing come into play?
I wonder that too. Cing has like 22 staff members. Maybe/Hopefully this isn't the Wii project that they confirmed to me. I really wanted a new gen adventure game. Not a Harvest Moon.

ethelred

Buttonbasher said:
I wonder that too. Cing has like 22 staff members. Maybe/Hopefully this isn't the Wii project that they confirmed to me. I really wanted a new gen adventure game. Not a Harvest Moon.

Um, Project O hardly sounds like just Harvest Moon. You create a world from a god's perspective and then go down and interact with the people of the world from a human perspective.

It sounds like so, so much more than just Harvest Moon. It sounds extremely ambitious and I'm personally thrilled to have a team like CING working on it. And hopefully the fact that they're working with a really qualified group of developers filling other roles means hopefully the areas of development where CING is flawed will be covered by other members of the team.

Eteric Rice

This game sounds amazing, really. Especially when you sit and think about the possibilities.

I think it'd be awesome if they made it like Animal Crossing, and your world continues on while the console is off. It'd be cool to wake up one morning, check your two races and see what they're up to, go to school, come back, and find out that one race has declaired war on the other, and whiped them out and took over.

Like that episode of South Park where he threw some seamen into a fishtank and they had their own civilizations and shit.

ethelred

Anyway, so most folks probably have no idea what Moon (for PSX) is. Let me assure you that it is genius. I mean, if you're familiar with Giftpia, Chibi Robo, Chulip, Tingle RPG, you probably get the environment of insanity that was fostered in all of these people, but Moon specifically...

It is... like... a non-RPG. You're this kid who loads up this game that's very NES DQ-ish. Very stereotypical, very cliche. You start up the game and you have your hero being given a mission from the king to go slay the dragon. And it's just a brilliant RPG parody at this point... the conversations you have and all the stuff that's going on. You go into a shop and check a dresser, and you find The Legendary Sword, The Legendary Armor, and The Legendary Shoes. When you finally get outside of the town, you come to this mountain range before the dragon's lair... so you just be a hero and the mountains just scoot off to the side.

The fight with the dragon itself is a fantastic mockery of final RPG battles -- the dragon's beating you until the hero decides to, you know, be heroic, and then you do an attack that does 9999 damage, then 9999 9999 9999 9999 and it starts scrolling your screen with 9s that keep getting larger and larger in font size.

Then you win the game and the kid gets sucked inside the game itself, but you're, like, a ghost... no one can see you or interact with you. You have to get out by figuring out the problems of the townspeople and solving them, and then you have to stop the violent, brutish hero from killing all the innocent creatures.

The game really has some insanely creative and talented folks working on it. I'm beyond excited to see what they come up with here.

ethelred said:
Um, Project O hardly sounds like just Harvest Moon. You create a world from a god's perspective and then go down and interact with the people of the world from a human perspective.

It sounds like so, so much more than just Harvest Moon. It sounds extremely ambitious and I'm personally thrilled to have a team like CING working on it. And hopefully the fact that they're working with a really qualified group of developers filling other roles means hopefully the areas of development where CING is flawed will be covered by other members of the team.
Yeah, I was just being depressed that my Hotel Dusk sequel wasn't announced. After looking over the article again, this does sound pretty cool

ethelred said:
Anyway, so most folks probably have no idea what Moon (for PSX) is. Let me assure you that it is genius. I mean, if you're familiar with Giftpia, Chibi Robo, Chulip, Tingle RPG, you probably get the environment of insanity that was fostered in all of these people, but Moon specifically...

It is... like... a non-RPG. You're this kid who loads up this game that's very NES DQ-ish. Very stereotypical, very cliche. You start up the game and you have your hero being given a mission from the king to go slay the dragon. And it's just a brilliant RPG parody at this point... the conversations you have and all the stuff that's going on. You go into a shop and check a dresser, and you find The Legendary Sword, The Legendary Armor, and The Legendary Shoes. When you finally get outside of the town, you come to this mountain range before the dragon's lair... so you just be a hero and the mountains just scoot off to the side.

The fight with the dragon itself is a fantastic mockery of final RPG battles -- the dragon's beating you until the hero decides to, you know, be heroic, and then you do an attack that does 9999 damage, then 9999 9999 9999 9999 and it starts scrolling your screen with 9s that keep getting larger and larger in font size.

Then you win the game and the kid gets sucked inside the game itself, but you're, like, a ghost... no one can see you or interact with you. You have to get out by figuring out the problems of the townspeople and solving them, and then you have to stop the violent, brutish hero from killing all the innocent creatures.

The game really has some insanely creative and talented folks working on it. I'm beyond excited to see what they come up with here.
That sounds awesome. :O

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
ethelred said:

................................. What? Wow. Was it at least released in europe?

Avrum

OMG, I actually feel ashamed that I never even HEARD of Moon before, but that description sounds awesome. :D

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
ethelred said:

Somebody make a thread on this game.

Sounds ****ing awesome.

JDSN

Banned
ethelred said:

Wow, that sounds amazing. I hope this game is like that in terms of originality.

duckroll

That IGN article is filled with errors. What's with IGN and their shitty reporting lately? Minaba is the character designer, not the art director. And he's still at Designation, not Town Factory. Wtf. :p

ethelred

GreenGlowingGoo said:
................................. What? Wow. Was it at least released in europe?

Sadly, no.

Avrum said:
OMG, I actually feel ashamed that I never even HEARD of Moon before, but that description sounds awesome. :D

Yeah, I figured most folks just aren't familiar with it at all, and so all of these descriptions of the game that keep saying "from the makers of Moon" weren't really doing anything. At least now, even if people can't play it, they can have a better understanding of some of the team's prior projects.

Ford Prefect said:
Somebody make a thread on this game.

Sounds ****ing awesome.

I dunno, seems a bit random (and mean) to just up and make a thread on a decade-old PlayStation game that was confined to release in Japan and is rare enough now that virtually no one else would be able to play even if they wanted to import a Japanese copy.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
You can buy Moon from Amazon's Japan site for 3,500 Yin it looks like and is was part of the Playstation Best series, too so it shouldn't be that hard to find. I wonder if there is a walk-through somewhere.

ethelred said:

wow, a few days ago I was thinking about a game like this, not so much the being stuck in a game, but being a ghost and solving peoples problems and such. The rest of the game sound really cool aswell.

Top Bottom