• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there more trash in rap than other genre’s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
RAP music has come a long way no doubt, but is there more trash in it than good?

I stopped listening to rap about 3-4 years ago. It's in a downward spiral as a genre.
Yes.. it's very overrepresented. It's going through what hair metal went through in the 80s

highrider

Banned
Almost any creative endeavor will yield more trash than good if you look at the big picture. Rap is not immune from this.

DorkyMohr

Banned
Rap is responsible for so much violence, be it black on black crime or against women.

People just shrug it off as "art" or say they are telling a story about the struggles in their community but thats horseshit.

It glorifies violence and sexism unlike any other music type. Kids are taught that selling drugs is cool, that acquiring expensive clothes/jewelry is the goal (which in turn pushes the easy money scenario via crime) , that treating women as sex objects to smack around if need be is acceptable.
Prison is cool, gangs are cool, gun violence is cool etc...

Rap has nothing but put a spotlight and praise the worse individuals and I can almost guarantee it has done more harm then good for minority communities.

Rap is and has always been trash.
No adult should be listening to it. Its immature and poison.

Nothing better then seeing some other 9 to 5 slub in the car next to me blasting some song about "Money, money, drugs, hoes and Vassaci"...and better yet when his kids are in the car lol
Its why most people stop listening to it in their early 20's usually....well, white kids that is.
I'm sure we all know that "gangster" white dude from highschool who grew "past" his rap phase and realized how much of a clown he looked/acted like.

^ this guy is a racist

DorkyMohr

Banned
My jury's still out on the OP, he could be a rap fan that isn't happy with the output of the past few years. But I doubt it, given the qualifying statement of "Rap's come a long way no doubt" placing him outside of the influence of rap as a genre and distinguishing himself as an observer and not a fan. But hey low effort posting ain't a crime and I don't have sufficient evidence.

Rap being "responsible" for crime is such a shit eating opinion to have. It's an art form and a form of expression, if you think it's glorifying violence then you need to look at people giving those with the worst glorification of it money.

D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
StreetCarp is a real piece of shit who can probably use his analytical mind to experiment with a paper clip and an electrical outlet. Rap being "responsible" for crime is such a shit eating opinion to have. It's an art form and a form of expression, if you think it's glorifying violence then you need to look at people giving those with the worst glorification of it money.

Always an excuse "bu-bu-bu blame the record companies!" Blame some body else..always.
It perpetuates systemic values to an under served, under educated majority.

I would go as far as saying Rap is similar to radical Islam. Spreading poison to poor under educated people who know no better and exploiting them. At the same time permeating into mainstream culture and destroying it right along with them.

Its why smart young minority men are labeled "Not real" or "About it"...telling them women want a "Real Thug" type. If they act outside the culture of rap then they are labeled "acting white/selling out"

rokkerkory

Rap is responsible for so much violence, be it black on black crime or against women.

People just shrug it off as "art" or say they are telling a story about the struggles in their community but thats horseshit.

It glorifies violence and sexism unlike any other music type. Kids are taught that selling drugs is cool, that acquiring expensive clothes/jewelry is the goal (which in turn pushes the easy money scenario via crime) , that treating women as sex objects to smack around if need be is acceptable.

Rap has nothing but put a spotlight and praise the worse individuals and I can almost guarantee it has done more harm then good for minority communities.

Nothing better then seeing some other 9 to 5 slub in the car next to me blasting some song about "Money, money, drugs, hoes and Vassaci"...and better yet when his kids are in the car lol
Its why most people stop listening to it in their early 20's usually....well, white kids that is.
I'm sure we all know that "gangster" white dude from highschool who grew "past" his rap phase and realized how much of a clown he looked/acted like.

What is this lol

DorkyMohr

Banned
Always an excuse "bu-bu-bu blame the record companies!" Blame some body else..always.
It perpetuates systemic values to an under served, under educated majority.

I would go as far as saying Rap is similar to radical Islam. Spreading poison to poor under educated people who know no better and exploiting them. At the same time permeating into mainstream culture and destroying it right along with them.

Its why smart young minority men are labeled "Not real" or "About it"...telling them women want a "Real Thug" type. If they act outside the culture of rap then they are labeled "acting white/selling out"

why don't you just come out and say you think black people are evil

why don't you just come out and say you think black people are evil
He could have packaged the idea better but, I'm curious, do you you think there is absolutely no merit to what he said?

Not all rap but isn't there a lot of rap that romanticizes the streets more than it should?

DorkyMohr

Banned
He could have packaged the idea better but, I'm curious, do you you think there is absolutely no merit to what he said?

Rap has the same problems as any other entertainment industry, accentuated by those running the business. However black performers are treated as an asset and real messages are stamped down. No one should exalt those that exhibit patterns of abuse yet they still work in the industry. Racists use this to carte blanche apply to all blacks and minorities as examples that they shouldn't be trusted.

Dunki

Sound likes someones Grandparents when they talked about Rock and Roll back in the 60s

LKrM7vF.png

I am sorry to say this but there is NO evidence at all in form of long term scientific studies which proves that Media in any form can cause violence, sexism, racism etc.

nded

Nah, it's just incredibly popular and quite broadly defined as a genre so record companies will dredge up absolutely anything to capitalize.

Ubername

Banned

Lol @ no one being able to reconcile this and calling you a racist

cuate

Banned
the reconciliation of this is racists have spouted these exact talking points to try to undermine music genres that are predominently black.

Take a electric power drill and bite down on a running dremel bit.

Not everyone who dislikes or critizises rap is a racist. The points he made are valid.

Dunki

That is a startlingly false statement.

No it is not. If I am wrong please show me any long term study that shows this. It can trigger violence just like basically everything yes but it is never the cause.

In fact there are studies that show the opposite. For example if you compare crime data during major game releases you can see a drop in crimes.

Violent video games 'reduce crime

Or this one that show that "sexist" video games to not cause sexism etc.
New Study Finds No Link Between Gaming And Sexist Attitudes

This was one done over a time of 3 years.

Rap has the same problems as any other entertainment industry, accentuated by those running the business. However black performers are treated as an asset and real messages are stamped down. No one should exalt those that exhibit patterns of abuse yet they still work in the industry. Racists use this to carte blanche apply to all blacks and minorities as examples that they shouldn't be trusted.
I agree with the first half. Country music also glorifies being poor and dumb but there's no resistance to saying that fact like there usually is with rap.

Hell, before the split on this board it was basically a daily routine to tee off on the poor, stupid white working class in the American South was it not?

No it is not. If I am wrong please show me any long term study that shows this. It can trigger violence just like basically everything yes but it is never the cause.

In fact there are studies that show the opposite. For example if you compare crime data during major game releases you can see a drop in crimes.

Or this one that show that "sexist" video games to not cause sexism etc.
New Study Finds No Link Between Gaming And Sexist Attitudes This was one done over a time of 3 years.

Here's a very recent meta analysis.
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/140/Supplement_2/S142.long

The vast majority of laboratory-based experimental studies have revealed that violent media exposure causes increased aggressive thoughts, angry feelings, physiologic arousal, hostile appraisals, aggressive behavior, and desensitization to violence and decreases prosocial behavior (eg, helping others) and empathy.

Indeed, the effects of screen violence on increased aggressive behavior have been reviewed and affirmed by numerous major scientific organizations, including the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, the American Medical Association, the American Psychiatric Association, the American Psychological Association, the US Surgeon General, the Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues, and the International Society for Research on Aggression

Dunki

Sorry but laboratory setting can not simulate the real world and social influence at all. Again I am talking about long term studies not like you play a game and while getting frustrated during these 10 minutes you get more agressive.

"Yet to date, though there is evidence that violent video games cause aggression in a laboratory setting, there is no evidence that violent video games cause violence or crime."
It adds: "We argue that since laboratory experiments have not examined the time use effects of video games, which incapacitate violent activity by drawing individual gamers into extended gameplay, laboratory studies may be poor predictors of the net effects of violent video games in society.
"Consequently, they overstate the importance of video game induced aggression as a social cost. "

Sorry but laboratory setting can not simulate the real world and social influence at all. Again I am talking about long term studies not like you play a game and while getting frustrated during these 10 minutes you get more agressive.
You obviously didn't read the study. Long term logitudinal studies are included.

What a fucking clown.
Woah , hold on there. Put away the teeth.

Let's try to separate our emotions from the facts in this conversation.

Let's just try to lay out the facts as best as we can and try and reach a better understanding for all sides.

PulseONE

Woah , hold on there. Put away the teeth.

Let's try to separate our emotions from the facts in this conversation.

Let's just try to lay out the facts as best as we can and try and reach a better understanding for all sides.

I mean, he did tell two people to go bite down on a drill bit or whatever

Or was this sarcasm XD

someone please take this racist trash out

Dunki

You obviously didn't read the study. Long term logitudinal studies are included.

I could say the same about you

the field is greatly in need of additional large-sample, high-quality, longitudinal studies that include validated measures of media violence exposure and measures of other known violence risk factors. Also, although several high-quality media violence intervention studies have been conducted, larger-scale studies with more comprehensive and longer-term assessments are needed to fully understand long-term effects and to inform the development of tools that will help to reduce problems associated with aggression and violence.

Or even better:

It is also important to understand that no single risk factor causes a child or adolescent to behave aggressively or violently. Instead, it is the accumulation of risk factors and the relative lack of protective factors that lead to aggressive and violent acts

Again it can trigger it not cause it. And these grahs as well show brief first time exposure to violent games.

I mean, he did tell two people to go bite down on a drill bit or whatever

Or was this sarcasm XD
Honestly, shouting stuff like this at each other and trying to ban each other is literally pointless.

We need to have the courage to say and to hear criticisms without losing our heads.

That goes for everyone.

PulseONE

Honestly, shouting stuff like this at each other and trying to ban each other is literally pointless.

We need to have the courage to say and to hear criticisms without losing our heads.

That goes for everyone.

I agree, even if someone is wrong, you're more likely to change their minds by discussing rather than just telling them to fuck off

DorkyMohr

Banned
Lemme walk this back. This thread is shit, OP is probably a racist but it's up to him to provide more context.

(Protip: if you hear anyone say "I like all music, well except Rap and Country" that person probably hates poor people.)

StreetCrap recited a bunch of nonsense shit from fox news that basically confirms his position moreso as a racist than a music critic. Putting the onus on people responding to his dumbass claims to explain hundreds of years of systemic racism as it relates to black music.

6aa.jpg

D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
Some of the lyrics of top 10 rap songs right now...

Ayy, I've been fuckin' hoes and poppin' pillies
Man, I feel just like a rockstar (star)
Ayy, ayy, all my brothers got that gas
And they always be smokin' like a Rasta
Fuckin' with me, call up on a Uzi
And show up, man them the shottas
When my homies pull up on your block

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me
If you wanted to
These expensive, these is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes
Hit the store, I can get 'em both
I don't wanna choose
And I'm quick, cut a nigga hustle
Don't get comfortable
Look, I don't dance now
I make money moves
Say I don't gotta dance
I make money move
If I see you and I don't speak
That means I don't fuck with you
I'm a boss, you a worker bitch
I make bloody moves

My bitch love do cocaine, ooh (ooh)
I fuck a bitch, I forgot her name (brr, yuh)
They kicked me out the plane off a percocet (brr)
Now Lil Pump flyin' private jet (yuh)
Everybody scream, "Fuck WestJet" (fuck 'em)
Lil Pump still sell that meth (yuh)
Hunnid on my wrist, sippin' on Tech (brr)
Fuck a lil bitch, make her pussy wet (what?)

I made love to a stripper (stripper), first I had to tip her (phrrr)
Twenty thousand ones (woo), she said I'm that nigga (I am)
I said, "I'm that nigga, bitch, I already know it" (I know it)
I come with bad weather (ksh), they say I'm a storm (ayy)
VVS's in my charm, that's a Roc-A-Fella chain
I was sendin' bricks to Harlem back when Jay was still with Dame

Feel like I can fly, yeah
Xans, Perky, check (yeah), Bill Belichick
Take the air out the ball, just so I can flex
Take the air out the mall, walkin' with the sacks

There ya go folks...Real artist in the community reaching the youth.
Yup, surely takes the art of the black community from the 70, 60, 50...from Jazz, to rock, to the blues, to Funk...and elaborates on it!
Yeah, always trying to shut the 'art' down!

Dont blame record companies...THAT SHIT SELLS CAUSE OUR CULTURE IS FUCKING STUPID...we are stuck on this Money, hoes and clothes mindset and dont want to hear positive shit.
It was CARZY having Dre and Cypress talk about smoking weed 25 years ago..now rap glorifies pills, lean, etc..

Rap went from Punk'ish type rebellion to being a cancer to society.

Some of the lyrics of top 10 rap songs right now...

There ya go folks...Real artist in the community reaching the youth.
Yup, surely takes the art of the black community from the 70, 60, 50...from Jazz, to rock, to the blues, to Funk...and elaborates on it!
Yeah, always trying to shut the 'art' down!

Dont blame record companies...THAT SHIT SELLS CAUSE OUR CULTURE IS FUCKING STUPID, WHITE, BLACK, LATINO...we are stuck on this Money, hoes and clothes mindset and dont want to hear positive shit.
It was CARZY having Dre and Cypress talk about smoking weed 25 years ago..now rap glorifies pills, lean, etc..

Rap went from Punk'ish type rebellion to being a cancer to society.

only people lacking money, hoes, and clothes would be mad about something like this

Lemme walk this back. This thread is shit, OP is probably a racist but it's up to him to provide more context.

(Protip: if you hear anyone say "I like all music, well except Rap and Country" that person probably hates poor people.)

StreetCrap recited a bunch of nonsense shit from fox news that basically confirms his position moreso as a racist than a music critic. Putting the onus on people responding to his dumbass claims to explain hundreds of years of systemic racism as it relates to black music. He should be banned and then shoved down a flight of stairs.

6aa.jpg
Lolol, that is absolute bullshit.
If someone says they don't like rap, it's most likely because they've mainly listened to the mainstream artists, that usually talk about the usual gang life, drugs, extravagant life, and money. They rarely talk about actual problems within their community/society. As for country, they may not identify with the country life. It's as simple as that. It has nothing to do with race or financial state.

PulseONE

By this logic, everyone must like country and rap else be labelled as hating poor people

No such thing as personal taste in music?

By this logic, everyone must like country and rap else be labelled as hating poor people

No such thing as personal taste in music?

its ok to not like rap music

it's just the people who are vocal about expressing their hate for it that are suspicious. that suggests there is something more there than just not getting the music

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom