• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro PS3 motherboard vs. US/Jap PS3 motherboard pics

Chittagong

Gold Member
Found on the other age, from a profilic poster with "meat" in his name.

ps3motherboard7yl5.jpg

ps3_32.jpg

Surprisingly clean cut. From COK-1 to COK-2.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Lack of EE+GS chip, no suprise there.

But what's that chip in the Euro version roughly where it's supposed to be?

Scotch

icecream said:

Only the Emotion Engine is missing on the Euro mobo, so what you're seeing is probably the GS chip.

antipode

icecream said:

Seriously, is that some kind of scaler? It seems to have intermediated itself between RSX and almost everything else, which the old EE+GS didn't.

Elios83

antipode said:
Seriously, is is some kind of scaler? Because it seems to have intermediated itself between RSX and almost everything else, which the old EE+GS didn't.

It's probably a new chip which integrates the GS functionalities they couldn't emulate plus other functions which have been shifted to this chip from elsewhere. RSX previously had direct access to the chip on the top of the motherboard now there's this new chip.
Moreover the chip on the top of Cell seems to have been shrinked down.

Lionheart

Elios83 said:
Yeah, that's what I was gonna post too. :) Stuff around it has been organized differently too. What's that chip supposed to be again? That Cell assisting / super scaler or not thingy or so?

Elios83 said:

Ahh, hadn't noticed that. Nice seeing things getting more streamlined and slimmed down. Hope someone does some power consumption comparisons.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
New cooling system? I wonder if EU PS3 kicks the fan into the higher gear after an hour or so of use?

Oh, and the amount of traces to and from that new GS chip is downright scary :lol
You'd think that ship there is the most important thing in the console just looking at the board.

FredFish

That's a pretty substantial revision. Tons of trace route changes and a fair bit of twiddling with chip geography. I wonder how many layers that board has? The really impressive thing to me is how few sm caps they have. I'd love to see the design tools they use; would be really surprised to learn they use some commercial package.

Elios83

The Jer said:
The size of the chip looks about the same to me.

Considering that the european PS3s were shipped in late January the Cell is probably still at 90nm but what we can tell from the picture is just the size of the package (the same), a smaller package would require an other motherboard revision so it wouldn't suprise me if in the meantime they put the new 65nm dies in the same package with the same footprint for pins on the motherboard.

Top Bottom