• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

Pimpbaa

HaloFans said:
These consoles that are "breaking" now are the ones that do not have the second heat pipe implementation (and once again, it's not a fucking heatsink. Get your tech terms right.).

There wasn't a first heat pipe implementation on the gpu to begin with. Just a thin heatsink. The new setup is a heatpipe coming from that heatsink that goes to another heatsink. The heatpipe is just a conduit to get the heat to the 2nd heatsink. So people calling this whole thing the new heatsink somewhat correct.

Zzoram

Psychotext said:

Nice.

Just to report in, I got my Xbox 360 back!! (refurb).

I called on Sunday Nov.4th, got my box Wednesday Nov.7, dropped it at the post office Nov.8, and today Nov.13 I got it back. I'm so lucky, now I just have to hope this thing doesn't die before Christmas :lol

In other news, someone else on Xbox.com called/received his box the same day I did, and he also got his refurb back. Microsoft Canada's on top of things now.

clav

Pimpbaa said:
There wasn't a first heat pipe implementation on the gpu to begin with. Just a thin heatsink. The new setup is a heatpipe coming from that heatsink that goes to another heatsink. The heatpipe is just a conduit to get the heat to the 2nd heatsink. So people calling this whole thing the new heatsink somewhat correct.
There's a heatpipe on the CPU's heatsink.

bengraven

I finally sent out my coffin yesterday. Here's hoping I get my future-RRoD refurbished piece of shit within a couple of weeks (yeah, right).

Seriously, it fucking died two weeks before Halo and won't be back before Mass Effect. I missed out on the Fall gaming season completely in my mind.

Zzoram

bengraven said:
I finally sent out my coffin yesterday. Here's hoping I get my future-RRoD refurbished piece of shit within a couple of weeks (yeah, right).

Seriously, it fucking died two weeks before Halo and won't be back before Mass Effect. I missed out on the Fall gaming season completely in my mind.

Depending on where you live it could be faster. I got mine 3 business days after shipping out my box.

bigswords

Zzoram said:
QFT

All pre-2007 Xbox 360 refurbs need to be trashed. Refurbs should all replace the motherboard and GPU, in addition to adding the new giant heatsink+pipe, to ensure no damaged GPUs go back into circulation.

No they should be grinded and turned into dust. MS should implement if you hit number 3 crapbox, you should get a new one automatically. I seriously feel for people who just go back number 2 or 3 just to plug it in and see red lights.

Slavik81

Zzoram said:
In other news, someone else on Xbox.com called/received his box the same day I did, and he also got his refurb back. Microsoft Canada's on top of things now.
Definitely. I got a new box back (BenQ! I'm ecstatic if it actually turns out to be quieter.)
I got my box within 2 days. I dropped my package off friday afternoon and got it back today (wensday).

Now all I need to do is find a disk-buffer to fix Guitar Hero and all will be forgiven.

So peeps in Canada are getting there boxes back lickidy-split? I'm in the US and the guy told me the entire process takes 3-4 weeks which I immediately translated to be 6-8 weeks. I'll have so many backed up games to play when I get it back, I won't know what to play first.

Andokuky

Banned
Zzoram said:
QFT

All pre-2007 Xbox 360 refurbs need to be trashed. Refurbs should all replace the motherboard and GPU, in addition to adding the new giant heatsink+pipe, to ensure no damaged GPUs go back into circulation.

Well all 3 times mine have died have been in 2007. The first time they just "repaired" the console and sent the same one back and it lasted 5 hours. The second time they sent me a refurb and it lasted a little over 4 months. And that was after they supposedly changed their repair ways and started adding the heat pipe or second heat sink or whatever it is. So even the better ones are apparently prone to crapping out.

PatzCU said:
1. My "Device Repair Status" was updated to "Device Received at Service Center" about a week ago. Is there any other status update before they send the 360 back out to me? Just want to make sure it's not spending *too* much time at the service center.

This happened to me the second time mine broke and I sent it in. It said "received at service center" for almost 2 weeks and I had no idea wtf was going on. Then out of the blue I got the automated UPS call saying they were delivering a package the next morning. Turns out since I got a refurb that time and it of course had a different serial number, checking my repair status on my old console was pointless. So you might have a refurbished console already heading your way. I see no other reason for it to be at the center for a whole week.

Also, man the customer service has gotten even worse. Took me almost 40 minutes on the phone talking to 3 different people to get the freakin repair order done. I get a free copy of Viva Pinata though, wow!!

Is it actually safe to buy a 360 now? Are the new ones off store shelves crapping out as well? I'm actually thinking of just getting the arcade bundle since I have wireless controllers and a hard drive sitting at home doing nothing.

Andokuky

Banned
CriscoDisco said:
Is it actually safe to buy a 360 now? Are the new ones off store shelves crapping out as well? I'm actually thinking of just getting the arcade bundle since I have wireless controllers and a hard drive sitting at home doing nothing.

Most of them will be. There are new ones that just crap out though. One of my friends recently bought a Halo 3 Edition 360 and it died after a couple hours. The odds are though that if you buy one, it will be good. For a while anyway.

JB1981

Welp.

The 3rd one is a goner.

No RROD but my disc drive is kaput. Can't read any games. And when I do put a game in there, it sounds like it's being cut to pieces. Thanks, MS.

Now let's see if they try to charge me for this one. Looking forward to it. :D

Good thing I bought COD 4 on the PS3 as well.

I'm extremely pissed an frustrated with Microsoft right now.

I had to send my 2nd repaired console in last month and I had just got it back today. I open it up and I find a letter saying it wasn't repaired because I tampered with it and voided my warranty (which I sure as hell didn't do). I noticed that my faceplate is gone and that the shell is split open in the back with a dent on the edge like it was dropped.

I talked to a Customer Support guy who was actually nice and his supervisor and they set me up to talk to an MS rep that will look at my case and call me on Friday. I won't be happy if I don't get a new console. I'm not gonna let MS rip me off.

GalacticAE said:
I talked to a Customer Support guy who was actually nice and his supervisor and they set me up to talk to an MS rep that will look at my case and call me on Friday. I won't be happy if I don't get a new console. I'm not gonna let MS rip me off.
That really sucks. Hope they sort you out.

Drewsy

Banned
GalacticAE said:
I'm extremely pissed an frustrated with Microsoft right now.

I had to send my 2nd repaired console in last month and I had just got it back today. I open it up and I find a letter saying it wasn't repaired because I tampered with it and voided my warranty (which I sure as hell didn't do). I noticed that my faceplate is gone and that the shell is split open in the back with a dent on the edge like it was dropped.

Same thing happened to me, I never once took off the faceplate but when I took it in to EB to get a new one the warranty sticker was messed up. The sticker itself had bubbled and peeled, so I think the damn thing got so freaking hot that it melted the warranty to hell and back. :lol

JB1981

Hehe. On the phone now.

Rep is telling me the warranty covers only the 3 red lights. A disc drive error is not covered under the 3 year extension. They want to charge me. I asked to speak to a supervisor. Let's see what he/she says. :lol

Spooka

JB1981 said:
Hehe. On the phone now.

Rep is telling me the warranty covers only the 3 red lights. A disc drive error is not covered under the 3 year extension. They want to charge me. I asked to speak to a supervisor. Let's see what he/she says. :lol

Doesn't your 360 have a full 1 year warranty on everything since you just got it back a few months ago?

JB1981

Spooka said:
Doesn't your 360 have a full 1 year warranty on everything since you just got it back a few months ago?
Just got off the phone. Supervisor absolutely refused to repair the machine free of charge. He wanted to charge me $75 for the disc drive (and this was after the $25% discount!) I pressed him pretty hard but he wouldn't budge. I told him you'd rather lost me as a customer, than eat the cost of a disc drive. And he said, "Well, walking is your option, sir."

The only way they would've repaired the machine was if I claimed to get the 3 red lights. I am gonna try and sell my shit at Gamestop. Fuck it.

JB1981 said:
The only way they would've repaired the machine was if I claimed to get the 3 red lights. I am gonna try and sell my shit at Gamestop. Fuck it.
Probably should have done that. I imagine once the machine was there they probably would have fixed it anyway. =/

bigswords

JB1981 said:
Just got off the phone. Supervisor absolutely refused to repair the machine free of charge. He wanted to charge me $75 for the disc drive (and this was after the $25% discount!) I pressed him pretty hard but he wouldn't budge. I told him you'd rather lost me as a customer, than eat the cost of a disc drive. And he said, "Well, walking is your option, sir."

Why don't you claim that? I don't think MS checks anyways.

jvalioli

I know on their page it says they do check the console to see if it is red ringing. I suggest actually using the towel trick to red ring your 360 and then send it in.

Drewsy

Banned
jvalioli said:
I know on their page it says they do check the console to see if it is red ringing. I suggest actually using the towel trick to red ring your 360 and then send it in.

I doubt they do, given that the repair centers are a separate entity hired by MS. The whole process is just an endless cycle, I bet the only time they plug it in is after they've opened it up and milled around to see if it works before sending it back out into the world.

bigswords

RyuHayate said:
If they already have his serial number he could be screwed.

Hmm well he could wait for awhile and said that his dvd drive works again and that now his system is red ringed.

I don't think the repair place of the 360 will do checks on the 360s with red rings. They just take it out strip out parts.

Andokuky

Banned
I'm starting to think it is my drive crapping out as well and not an actual RROD issue like normal. Trying to play games usually ends up in the game freezing or not loading at all, but I can play arcade games and demos fine. I did just watch a DVD though with no problems at all. What's worse on the drive, a DVD movie or a game?

It hasn't been a year since I bought the thing though so I would hope their original 1 year warranty covers everything and not just red lights. Seems even shittier of MS to only cover the main problem with their piece of shit instead of all problems that happen.

B-Ri

Andokuky said:
I'm starting to think it is my drive crapping out as well and not an actual RROD issue like normal. Trying to play games usually ends up in the game freezing or not loading at all, but I can play arcade games and demos fine. I did just watch a DVD though with no problems at all. What's worse on the drive, a DVD movie or a game?

It hasn't been a year since I bought the thing though so I would hope their original 1 year warranty covers everything and not just red lights. Seems even shittier of MS to only cover the main problem with their piece of shit instead of all problems that happen.

DVDs play but games dont?

doesnt sound like a drive problem to me.

bigswords

Andokuky said:

Hmm might be a save file issue. Try removing the HD first then play your games. See whether does it freeze at the same area.

PatzCU

Well I checked the status of my 360 today and the website says that I no longer have a registered device? WTF

Has anyone had this problem before?

EDIT: Someone above me mentioned that if you get a Refurb back, your registered device will no longer exist? Maybe that's the answer to my problem here. Though hopefully it's a new one and not a refurb. (Hope... :lol )

Ok, so my drive has been temperamental for months now, but it usually worked after a couple of reboots. I got home with Assassins Creed last night and it absolutely refused to load the game. Occassionally I would make it to the title screen or even into the first section of the game, but the drive would always spin down and boot me back to dashboard. I was really frustrated and tried repositioning the console vertically to see if changed anything, which it didn't. I placed it back down on its side and was about to bite the bullet and call tech support, but decided to give it one more shot. I was surprised when it loaded the game without a problem. Then I realized that I had place the console upside down on accident. It's just like what happened to my PSX back in 1996 and the solution is the same. I know it is a ghetto, temporary solution, but I was able to play Assassins Creed for over 3 hours last night without any problems and the disc doesn't appear to be any worse for wear. If it keeps working, I'll live with it until I play through AC and Mass Effect and then I'll send it in for repair. There's no way I can wait another month for Mass Effect.

ZeMMiK

back from holiday, bought COD4... BAM 3 red rings, 2nd time!!!
I´m waiting now for 4 days already that MS is going to sent me a mail, so I can call UPS to pick it up. DAM!!!

JB1981

Called again today during my lunch break. Still won't budge. Want to charge me $99 for a disc drive. Should've told them I had a 3 red light error.

Such a shame that 3rd party games are such trash on PS3. I am livid.

pr0cs

JB1981 said:
Called again today during my lunch break. Still won't budge. Want to charge me $99 for a disc drive. Should've told them I had a 3 red light error.

Such a shame that 3rd party games are such trash on PS3. I am livid.
How old is the machine?
Do you think that if you had the same situation with Sony you would have been treated the same or that Sony would just replace the drive for free?

Ronin

Just got mine back. They sent me a replacement with a date of 10-26-07.

Things seem to be in order. I just wanna know is there anyway I can unlock all my XBLA stuff offline or am I fucked?

My 360 is always online, but there may be those instances where I take it somewhere with me or my connection is down.

Elhandro

Ronin said:
Just got mine back. They sent me a replacement with a date of 10-26-07.

Things seem to be in order. I just wanna know is there anyway I can unlock all my XBLA stuff offline or am I fucked?

My 360 is always online, but there may be those instances where I take it somewhere with me or my connection is down.

hey does yours have an HDMI port?

B-Ri

Elhandro said:
hey does yours have an HDMI port?

yes i wonder as well, cause the new ones are SUPPOSED to have them, especially if they carry a sticker of a new birth date.

someone in other forums got one with a very new birth date on it, no hdmi port, and was giving him problems since start up.

mines due any hour now, lets see what mine turns out to be.

JB1981

pr0cs said:
How old is the machine?
Do you think that if you had the same situation with Sony you would have been treated the same or that Sony would just replace the drive for free?
4 360s in less than 2 years. Take off your fanboy goggles and think about it. If I had gotten the three red lights they would have paid for the repair in full. Since I was honest and said it was the drive, they want to stick it up my ass for $100. Do you think a disc drive costs $100? Microsoft is 0-4. My consoles all have a 100% failure rate. I have lived up to my end of the bargain. They still have not produced a functioning console, that lasts more than 8 months. The refurb lasted me 4 months. I got it back in August. This company is a disgrace. And your apologist attitude is even worse.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I'm on my 3rd 360. It eventually pissing me off one day by not coming on is inevitable. I knew that when I got it. Sucks but hey... What can you do?

JB1981

DaCocoBrova said:
I'm on my 3rd 360. It eventually pissing me off one day by not coming on is inevitable. I knew that when I got it. Sucks but hey... What can you do?
I wouldn't be as pissed if I was guaranteed to get one of those new skus with hdmi, but I know I'm going to get another defective refurb so .....

pr0cs

JB1981 said:
4 360s in less than 2 years. Take off your fanboy goggles and think about it.
And your apologist attitude is even worse.
How bout you chill the fuck out.. In case you aren't counting I:
1) asked a question
2) exist on the list of machines that died.
I am asking a simple question, do you think Microsoft's competitors would have treated you any different? Answer the fucking question.

I'll be returning my 3rd 360 today. popped in Ass Creed last night and it went dead with RROD. I have a BB replacement plan so I'm gonna trade it for an Elite. I could use the bigger HDD space.

Andokuky

Banned
pr0cs said:
How bout you chill the fuck out.. In case you aren't counting I:
1) asked a question
2) exist on the list of machines that died.
I am asking a simple question, do you think Microsoft's competitors would have treated you any different? Answer the fucking question.

You didn't ask me but I don't really see the point in asking if Sony or Nintendo would treat you the same. Who knows until the day comes when they release a console with a god awful failure rate and pretty much the worst repair process I have ever seen for any product.

pr0cs

Andokuky said:
You didn't ask me but I don't really see the point in asking if Sony or Nintendo would treat you the same. Who knows until the day comes when they release a console with a god awful failure rate and pretty much the worst repair process I have ever seen for any product.
Well it sucks that the console is a piece of shit, poorly designed and poorly supported but at some point some sort of logic has to be applied no? I've seen some people suggest some pretty crazy shit in this thread..
ala: "My launch console's DVD drive is dead and now Microsoft won't pay for it, I'm pissed". I'm all for companies standing by their products but be realistic, why the hell would they be obligated to repair the system for so long on a part that likely gets the most abuse?

Top Bottom