• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WB announces Lego Batman

DMczaf

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117961855.html?categoryid=20&cs=1

batman_cut.jpg

The hottest word in the videogame world is, apparently, "Lego."

Following the huge success of "Lego Star Wars" and its sequel, Warner Bros. has signed a licensing deal with Lego to produce a "Lego Batman" game.

In a significant, and likely costly, pact, Warner also nabbed TT Games, developer of the two "Lego Star Wars" games, to make "Lego Batman."

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment will fully finance and publish the game itself, as well as handle all distribution in North America.

"Lego Star Wars" titles, both of which sold several million units in the U.S. alone, were family-friendly games featuring characters and settings from the "Star Wars" universe made out of the famous toy bricks.

"Lego Batman" will follow a similar template, and Warner will release it in 2008 on multiple consoles.

Vidgame is one of just a few that Warner is publishing itself, rather than licensing to outsiders. Studio recently released a game based on "300" and has a "Looney Tunes" title coming out this fall. A "Dirty Harry" game was expected in 2008, though the studio recently ended its contract with developer the Collective, which may delay the game's release.

2008? Damn :(

KLoNe

Banned
**** yeah. LSW2 was pretty great I gotta admit, pity I'm stuck where you first find yoda (in the swamps). Batman Lego should be awesome using the same engine, fix up co-op plzzz

Bearillusion said:
Should have been Indiana Jones.

Oh don't worry. With Indiana Jones IV coming out next summer I think it's safe to say they'll milk that as much as possible (and for good reason, it's frickin Indiana Jones). Don't put it past them.

Alphahawk

I remember someone predicting this on, I think it was the Hotspot but it could of been 1up yours too. At the time I thought it was just one of those wild predictions that wouldn't come true, but I guess they were right...

Link316

Banned
they were smart to get TT to do this, but I hope it doesn't turn out to be just more of the same except with a Batman license

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
AniHawk said:
I dunno. Doesn't seem like it'd work as well without Force powers.

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. Batarangs, grappling hooks, and hand to hand fighting should still be good. I'm sure the can figure something out, there are tons of gadgets to take advantage of.

Something I think would make this game really cool is for it to be broken up into different Batman eras.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
a Master Ninja said:
NOBODY wants to play as Robin.
Multiplayer = Failure
If this turns out anything like the Star Wars games you won't have to play as Robin in multiplayer.

pilonv1 said:
Lego Harry Potter would have moved more units.
Yeah but then it would be made by EA. Eww...

ram

Jive Turkey said:
Yeah but then it would be made by EA. Eww...

maybe it would improve the gameplay? in other words: the star wars game sucked, especially the secons, which was just worse as the first.

DMczaf said:
"Vidgame is one of just a few that Warner is publishing itself"
Okay, seriously, what is the deal with film industry trade publications' obsessive abbreviation and removal of definite articles from nouns standing in for proper nouns?? It reads so awkwardly.

"Vidgame is one of..."

NO!

"THE VIDEO GAME is one of," idiots. I see this shit all the time in Variety and I don't get it.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
SteveO409 said:
Oh man....Please have Two Face lego
Oh, they will...

120402695_28dbb687dd_m.jpg

Just for the record, here's a list of Batman characters that currently have LEGO figures. I would expect all of them to be in the game. And if the LEGO Star Wars games are any hint, they should all be playable, too.

Alfred
Batman (black suit)
Batman (grey suit)
Bruce Wayne
Catwoman
Killer Croc
Mr. Freeze
Nightwing
Poison Ivy
Robin
The Joker
The Penguin
The Riddler
The Scarecrow
Two-Face

Plus a generic henchmen figure. Also like the LEGO Star Wars games, I would expect plenty of new characters to be LEGO-ized for the game.

Busty

Banned
Chris Remo said:
Okay, seriously, what is the deal with film industry trade publications' obsessive abbreviation and removal of definite articles from nouns standing in for proper nouns?? It reads so awkwardly.

"Vidgame is one of..."

NO!

"THE VIDEO GAME is one of," idiots. I see this shit all the time in Variety and I don't get it.

Tell me about it. I read Variety everyday. Entourage hit the nail on the head when Ari said about Variety (paraphrase) .......

"Variety is just like a High School paper where they get paid to write about the cool kids".

So true. Sometimes the quality of writing is shocking. Any magazine that has a page on it's website devoted to explaining it's own shorthand needs to take a long hard look at itself in the mirror.

"Prexy ankles shingle...."

WTF!!!!!!

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Didn't this get announced a few months back?

It should kick ass anyway... Just have LOTS of unlockables from Batmans history.

radjago

Chris Remo said:

"Vidgame is one of..."

NO!

So why read Variety at all?

radjago said:
For the actual information.

I don't have a subscription and I don't read it daily, I just end up reading it when it is reporting on things related to my job.

Busty

Banned
radjago said:

No one does.

Everyone just buys it and then holds it in such a way that the logo is visible to passers by....

Then stand outside the drama department of your local College or University and then wait for some starry eyed, lean 18 or 19 year old actress to aproach you....

"Are you a producer..?"

"Why yes my dear."

" I'm an actress."

"Really... well then we have much to discuss."

Ominous storm clouds gather.

radjago

In a significant, and likely costly, pact, Warner also nabbed TT Games, developer of the two "Lego Star Wars" games, to make "Lego Batman."
I am still unsure of the meaning of this ambiguous statement.

Shinobi

Busty said:
No one does.

Everyone just buys it and then holds it in such a way that the logo is visible to passers by....

Then stand outside the drama department of your local College or University and then wait for some starry eyed, lean 18 or 19 year old actress to aproach you....

"Are you a producer..?"

"Why yes my dear."

" I'm an actress."

"Really... well then we have much to discuss."

Ominous storm clouds gather.

:lol :lol :lol

Can't wait for this game...it should be a laugh riot.

Top Bottom