• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft slams Wii

From IGN

March 28, 2007 - Oh, sweet mud-slinging, how we love you. It would be impossible to count how many times company reps poked fun at GameCube, just as it would be a difficult undertaking to calculate how many times former Nintendo president Hiroshi Yamauchi spoke ill of his hardware competitors. Nowadays, though, publishers rarely speak badly of Nintendo or Wii as both are overwhelming success stories.

But Microsoft's group product manager for Xbox and the Live platform, John Rodman, recently took a stab at it. According to a report by Daily Tech, Rodman insinuated that gamers would outgrow Nintendo's new console just as soon as their voices started to change.

"We don't feel like the Wii customer and the Xbox customer are the same thing," Rodman reportedly said. "We think that as soon as the Wii customer turns 14, they want something else."

Whoops. We must've missed that memo. And so did our parents.

Mrbob

"We don't feel like the Wii customer and the Xbox customer are the same thing," Rodman reportedly said. "We think that as soon as the Wii customer turns 14, they want something else."

Oh shit. :lol

I guess Wii60 is over.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
basketball2.gif

Odysseus

Banned
hey microsoft, maybe if you offered a product that average people could buy then maybe you wouldn't have this little wii problem.

in other words, shut up.

Bloodwake

Wow, they changed sides quickly.

"They kicked our asses in the NPD numbers? No more of this companion system bullshit. COMMENCE MUDSLINGING."

justjohn

hey fool its wii60. someone send him the wii60 fanboys memo where they're supposed to stick together to defeat the great evil sony

Scum

Oh no, you didn't!

Perhaps he should have said "When you get an HDTV, you'll want a gaming experience to go along with it."

HDTV is the big defining line that I see . . . . Madden/NCAA/NBA/racer/shooter players that upgrade to an HDTV and want a new console will go for a 360 or PS3.

Wii is for all ages but its forte is waggle & Nintendo IP.

I think what he meant to say is that the Wii has absolutely zero chance of sustaining the buzz it's generated for the traditional console lifecycle. Hence when Wii owner's turn 14 in two years time they shall desire something more.

JayDubya

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
I think what he meant to say is that the Wii is a complete gimmick and has absolutely zero chance of sustaining the buzz it's generated for the traditional console lifecycle. Hence when Wii owner's turn 14 in two years time they shall desire something more.

Right, that was obviously what he was saying, and indeed, that is what people are frustrated with. And if you're now clarifying your personal opinion, you're being pretty trollish.

Of course, having a 360 and waiting on a Wii, I'm not in the best place to criticize. ;)

theBishop

Banned
Damn, Microsoft's throwing down the guantlet.

Now what will the NDF play between first party franchise updates?

just kidding, friends :)

so basically he is just the guy you knew in grade school that said "sega is better than nintendo because nintendo is for kids and sega has cool stuff like sonic", only grown up.

It's amazing that people have been using the same attack against nintendo for near 20 years.

Wow, MS execs are really swinging at everything that moves now.

Since I'm all about HD consoles this gen I'm squarely a PS360 guy, but I've gotta say that the whole "Nintendo = teh kiddie" thing is kinda lame. There are so many valid things to trash the Wii over, like it's lack of power or lack of HD capabilities, and you can always use the tried-and-true "it's a fad" argument since it can't be proven one way or another yet. But "teh kiddie" argument is so N64/GC.

Top Bottom