• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Panel de Pon DS (Planet Puzzle League) Official Thread of Love and Magical Fairy Dust

john tv

51l9zE97mYL._SS400_.jpg

Greatest puzzle game of all-time is out now for DS in Japan with 4P wireless play and Wi-Fi Connection support! Where is the love?? Unfortunately there's no fairies in this one but their memories will live on in our hearts and Super Famicoms.

p_aylj_ca.gif

I picked up my copy today but like a dunce I left my DS Lite at home, so I can't try it out until tonight. Anyone got any impressions?

Handheld GOTY right here, baby!

FRIEND CODES:

666: 541267 593800
aidan: 038756 604052
Amir0x: 111771 279571
ant1532: 141835 782104
AtomicShroom (Atomic): 021576 818755
Cajole Juice: 274979 575588
colinp: 111771 139116
Count Dookkake (Dr Dooku): 399533 663752
dextran: 240619 862846
Forgotten Ancient: 047346 589292
fresquito: 090296 464318
goompapa: 545562 629867
john tv: 064522 730551
Jonnyram: 390940 182610
kirbutashi: 064526 200984
Mak: 219145 208266
Memles: 446778 278425
mj1108 (mark): 395238 841995
N Coward Parody (Dan): 232030 222617
nofilter: 223439 979392
Nuclear Muffin: 326519 422339
pancakesandsex: 330814 323116
Proven: 154720 657798
Ril: 137540 649721
Synthesizer Patel: 219145 187059
sp0rsk: 489724 430714
StrikerObi: 210555 009864
SuperPac: 055936 260144
The S-Word: 253504 935593
Toshin: 223439 987080
Whimsical Phil: 030166 473665
woodchuck (TheKavorka): 184785 518265
Wyndstryker: 481138 188294
ZeMMiK: 455368 338556

john tv

Oh snap, Wi-Fi supports voice chat too! So when I'm throwing Shane B. a beatdown from across the Pacific, I can issue verbal taunts such as "Sony Defense Force FTL" and "Kutaragi-chan does not approve"

Rawk on!

I'm not feeling the love yet, BTW. Where is it??

Jonnyram

john tv said:
I'm not feeling the love yet, BTW. Where is it??
It's in my bag, still in the shrinkwrap. My love is gonna explode all over my living room carpet tonight though, let me assure you.

Peru

The love is right here, of course, but I can't give it all the love it deserves until it's released (buying the english Planet Puzzle League version). Now that it's out over there I demand impressions of all the modes and multiplayer, plus music and everything else. Just feed me information on this game.

Impressions please! Is the 3D mode still in? how are the controls? are there any dual screen modes? how many players online? are there lobbies? any unlockable PDP characters? any other cool options?

Spill the beans, I'm dying to hear more about this game!!!

I hope NCSX has already sent it, I usually get games a day after they are out from them.

all weekend will be nonstop Panel De Pon, Pokemon takes a backseat

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
This version of Panel De Pon is fantastic! :D I have only played some single player so far, but I am really liking the touch screen control and tate-style vertical screen play. It also rocks that you can play normally and with the screen in normal mode as well.

The game uses skins like Q's puzzlers, and the ones I've tried have all added a sleek or stylish background to the action, accompanied by different styles of electronic music. It's a good soundtrack, and some of the background animations are really nice. There are no characters or avatars in the game BTW; it's just the backgrounds. The game comes off as a more "mature" version of Panel De Pon.

This is pretty much the best game released on the DS this year. Pick it up!

nofi

Sounds wicked, but without sounding like an ignorant fool - how's the Japanese in this?

Much for a non-speaker?

edit: From Gamespot:

>> Endless:
>> >> (Endless Menu)

>> Stage Clear:
>> >> First Stage
>> >> Continue Stage
>> >> Stage Select

>> Ojama Challenge:
>> >> (Ojama Challenge Menu)

>> VS COM:
>> >> Ojama VS
>> >> Sukoa Attack VS
>> >> Stage Clear VS

>> Time Attack:
>> >> Sukoa Attack
>> >> Ojama Attack
>> >> "Seria de" Attack

>> Puzzle:
>> >> Puzzle 1
>> >> Puzzle 2
>> >> Active Puzzle
>> >> Mission

==

Everyday Play:

>> Sukoa Attack:
>> >> (Sukoa Attack Menu)
>> Ojama Attack:
>> >> (Ojama Attack Menu)
>> "Seria gu" Attack:
>> >> ("Seria gu" Attack Menu)

==

Multiple Play:

>> Send Play:
>> >> (Send Play Menu)
>> Find Play:
>> >> (Find Play Menu)

==

Wi-Fi:

>> Wi-fi Create:
>> >> Create VS
>> >> Find VS
>> >> Birthday VS
>> >> Friend Code VS

>> Friend Code:
>> >> Register Friend Code
>> >> Your Friend Code
>> >> Friend List

>> Wi-Fi Settings:
>> >> (Wi-Fi Settings Menu)

==

My Data:

>> Record:
>> >> (Record Menu)
>> "Muupii"
>> >> ("Muupii" Menu)
>> Data Clear:
>> >> (Data Clear Menu)

==

Options:

>> How to Hold:
>> >> Vertical
>> >> >> Right-Handed
>> >> >> Left-Handed
>> >> Horizontal
>> >> >> Right-Handed
>> >> >> Left-Handed
>> Game Settings:
>> >> >> >> >> >> >> Sound Settings:
>> >> Sound
>> >> >> >> Sound Test

==

Tutorial: (?)

==

Lee N

Membre
john tv said:
Where is the love??
My copy of the game shipped from Japan Monday this week, I should be getting it sometime (hopefully early) next week.

Looking forward to a bunch of multiplayer games with people from GAF.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
****IN AWESOME

Sorry, was on the phone, anyway this game ****ing RULES awesome music, touch screen shit ****ing owns this game owns yes ****ing buy this game TODAY.

JSnake

DO WANT

Oh, man I cannot wait. I'll be getting this day one when it comes out in the USA. I'd get it now, but I just don't have the money for importing. Also, is anyone else using that boxart to set up matches in their head?

Lyte Edge said:
This version of Panel De Pon is fantastic! :D I have only played some single player so far, but I am really liking the touch screen control and tate-style vertical screen play. It also rocks that you can play normally and with the screen in normal mode as well.

The game uses skins like Q's puzzlers, and the ones I've tried have all added a sleek or stylish background to the action, accompanied by different styles of electronic music. It's a good soundtrack, and some of the background animations are really nice. There are no characters or avatars in the game BTW; it's just the backgrounds. The game comes off as a more "mature" version of Panel De Pon.

This is pretty much the best game released on the DS this year. Pick it up!
so d-pad and button use is available too? shit yea

Lyte Edge

Forgot to mention that this game is a bit cheaper than most new DS releases, too. It's 3400 yen.

crawlingpeter said:
so d-pad and button use is available too? shit yea

Yep. :D

The game in action:
paneldeponpk7.jpg

When you play the Stage Clear mode, you go through each skin, which are five levels each. The first four levels are cleared by getting all the blocks below a set line, while the fifth stage has a meter taking up the length of the left screen that has to be lowered by clearing away blocks with combos.

santouras

I CANNOT wait until this comes out over here. I fear I may become a dishevelled wreck once again when I start playing it, this game tends to do that to me :-/

Lyte Edge

Linkzg said:
so, if you play the game with the dpad/buttons, the DS is horizontal right? do they squish the screen and put it on top part only?

No, you can still use the d-pad and buttons when it's vertical too, but it's a bit awkward that way. :)

Jonnyram

Your score attacks are automatically saved as movies and these can be passed to your opponent when you play in local wireless. You can save up to 12 playbacks on your cart.

Lee N

Membre
Jonnyram said:
Your score attacks are automatically saved as movies and these can be passed to your opponent when you play in local wireless. You can save up to 12 playbacks on your cart.
Ok, that's awesome.

More games should have that feature. I love that in Jewelry Master the online ranking mode is all replay based, you can select any highscore and it'll replay the session for you.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Thoren said:
So this is like Meteos but sideways?

Someone explain!
It's the greatest puzzle game of all time. Meteos isn't fit to lick its bootstraps.

Previous US releases have been Tetris Attack, Pokemon Puzzle League, and Dr. Mario/Puzzle League.

Core Zero

Two questions:

Is there a left-handed "tate" mode (i.e. touchscreen on left)?

Does "Planet Puzzle League" mean it will be Pokemon branded in the U.S.? Maybe a stupid question, but the only other game I know of with a name like that is Pokemon Puzzle League.

john tv

sp0rsk said:
To be honest, I'd definitely advise playing with the touch screen.
Hardcore PDP players will play with the pad. The touch controls are nice, but they're not enough for a game like this. Trust me, you're better off making the switch now and learning the right way than making a lot of progress in touch mode before realizing you can't keep up with the best of the old-schoolers. The touch controls just aren't precise enough at high level play. It's nobody's fault really; this game just wasn't meant for that kind of control.

IMHO, of course.

Anyway, played a bunch earlier tonight -- seems really, really nice! I'll get set up online soon so we can throw down.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
RZRiot said:
Does "Planet Puzzle League" mean it will be Pokemon branded in the U.S.? Maybe a stupid question, but the only other game I know of with a name like that is Pokemon Puzzle League.
No, it won't be. Dr. Mario/Puzzle League on GBA had no visual ties to Pokemon.

john tv said:
Hardcore PDP players will play with the pad. The touch controls are nice, but they're not enough for a game like this. Trust me, you're better off making the switch now and learning the right way than making a lot of progress in touch mode before realizing you can't keep up with the best of the old-schoolers. The touch controls just aren't precise enough at high level play. It's nobody's fault really; this game just wasn't meant for that kind of control.

IMHO, of course.

Anyway, played a bunch earlier tonight -- seems really, really nice! I'll get set up online soon so we can throw down.

Funny, I would imagine that the touch screen would be much quicker and much more accurate than the d-pad (Like in Meteos, the d-pad controls don't even come close to the touch screen controls)

That "Power Play" video really shows off how fast and accurate the stylus controls can be (I hope you can make the blocks fall faster than that though!)

When does it come out in the US? June 6th isn't it?

Jonnyram

john tv said:
Hmm, tricky. I think if you get used to using the stylus accurately, you will blow away anyone who uses the d-pad, personally. There is just a massive speed difference, and dragging a block from one side of the screen to the other is so easy. It's not quite Zoo Keeper, because you have to be more conscious of chains in PdP, but it is definitely going to be a force to be reckoned with.

Oh yeah a few more questions. Can you choose to play against touch screen players or D-pad players separately online (I would imagine that mixing the two together would make it a bit one sided)

Also can you make the speed of blocks disappearing as fast as it normally is in PDP (The videos shown make the block disappearing speed seem really slow)

Edit What do the new blocks do as well? This looks like the first true evolution in the series since the original SFC PDP! It's PDP's equivalent of Puyo Pop Fever!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Are the themes any good? I hated the GBA version because of how plain it was, I'm hoping the themes aren't a bunch of different shapes on the same plain old white background for each one. :\

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
again - how suitale is this for import?

menu seems quite complicated, and is the game global wifi or the usual japan only?

ant1532

Banned
Was going to get this today but with Pokemans keeping me busy on DS I can wait till June.

Can you play online with the Dpad???

Ravidrath

john tv said:
Unfortunately there's no fairies in this one but their memories will live on in our hearts and Super Famicoms.

Love this game!

But I will, too, miss the Japanese original, Pedo De Pon. :\

Top Bottom