• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just bought a DS, some thoughts and fishing for reccomendations

Been fairly happy with my psp lately, so i didnt think i'd be jumping into this as fast as i did, but a bunch of co-workers with ds's and mario kart made me change my mind.

Picked up a black DS lite, Mario Kart, and Phoenix wright. I plan on getting etrian next week. and then i'll cool it until i beat those.

-the stylus works great on PW, and its a good "training" kinda game for getting used to it, i'm finding it fairly nice to use, despite it not being my preferred input method.
-although it wouldnt have much of a real use, i kind of miss the lack of any kind of "home" function on the device, instead having to restart it every time you want to switch settings/games/brightness/etc. The whole experience of using it just isnt as streamlined as psp, but that wasnt really what it was going for i guess. Is there a soft reset kind of function i missed for returning to the system menu?
-Brightness button would have been nice.
-system is fairly comfortable to hold, always a plus.
-sleep mode has an annoying flashing light
-black looks nice

-for the GBA SP, pelican made this nice leather pouch/slip on case, does anyone know of anything similar for the DS? it made the thing look really sharp and kept it nice and protected.

looking for some game recommendations for after im done with PW and mario kart. Imports or US games, no non-games, i can enjoy just about any genre. Please give me a valid reason to look into whatever you plug, dont just list titles and ZOMG AWESOME.

edit: forgot, dont bother recommending pokemon, ever.

Definite buy list thus far:
-Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
-Phoenix Wright 2
-Etrian Odyssey
-Panel de Pon
-sangokushi taisen

Interested in:
-Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime
-Sonic Rush
-Izuna
-Contact
-New Super Mario Bros.
-Tetris DS (if its got online)
-Puyo Pop Fever (if its got online)
-Luminous Arc
-Final Fantasy A2 (MAYBE, i hate the art soooo much)
-Super Robot Wars W

Not interested in:
-non-games
-this includes animal crossing, in case the above wasnt clear
-Pokemon
-Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (i dont like soma)
-Oendan/Elite Beat Agents (not a huge fan of rhythm games

Dascu

Both DS Castlevanias are very good action/adventure platformer explorers (huh?). Certainly worth a try. I suggest playing Aria of Sorrow (the GBA game) before Dawn of Sorrow though.

Didn't we just have this thread? Anyway:

Elite Beat Agents/Osu! Tatake! Ouendan:

It's a rhythm based tapping game that challenges your reactionary skills to the max. If you like goofy and hilariously improbably settings (The premise of the game involves saving people through the power of dance), plus a nice challenge involving the touchscreen, you should like this.

(Personal GOTY last year, BTW)

Advance Wars Dual Strike:

Turn-based strategy game. Balanced, challenging, and ridiculously addictive. You'll sink over 100 hours into this without any problem whatsoever.

Final Fantasy 3:

Old school turn based RPG at its finest. The only time this game holds your hand is so it can proceed to rip your arm off. If you like old-school jRPGs, this is a must.

Lunar Knights:

Castlevania meets Metal Gear meets Boktai. An isometric 2D ARPG involving slaying hundreds of monsters and vampires. A good battle system coupled with surprisingly deep elements makes this a worthwhile buy.

Puzzle Quest:

Bejeweled RPG. You either like or don't like this.

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow and Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin:

2D ARPG/Platformer with RPG elements (whatever). It's the Metroidvania series. Buy if you like, don't buy if you don't.

Megaman ZX:

2D Megaman action, slashing, stabbing, shooting, etc. It's a bit easier than the AWESOME Mega Man Zero series, but otherwise it's still a worthwhile purchase.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All:

A sequel to Phoenix Wright. A game where 'more of the same' is a definite plus.

*~*

Yeah, that should last you a while.

Zzoram

New Super Mario Bros. is pretty good too. I think it's the highest review score game on the DS. It's a platformer.

Aria was a great game but....Soma sucks, i plan on getting PoR eventually.

Why did contact disappoint so many?
How is izuna?
Does tetris DS have online play or just local multi?

Pokemon-Diamond_DSBOX_US_FINALboxart_160w.jpg

-Online battle/trade
-Near limitless replayability
-Over 400 mons to catch
-Neo Gaf community for it rules

Pureauthor said:
Didn't we just have this thread? Anyway:

Elite Beat Agents/Osu! Tatake! Ouendan:

It's a rhythm based tapping game that challenges your reactionary skills to the max. If you like goofy and hilariously improbably settings (The premise of the game involves saving people through the power of dance), plus a nice challenge involving the touchscreen, you should like this.

(Personal GOTY last year, BTW)

Turn-based strategy game. Balanced, challenging, and ridiculously addictive. You'll sink over 100 hours into this without any problem whatsoever.

Final Fantasy 3:

Old school turn based RPG at its finest. The only time this game holds your hand is so it can proceed to rip your arm off. If you like old-school jRPGs, this is a must.

Lunar Knights:

Castlevania meets Metal Gear meets Boktai. An isometric 2D ARPG involving slaying hundreds of monsters and vampires. A good battle system coupled with surprisingly deep elements makes this a worthwhile buy.

Puzzle Quest:

Bejeweled RPG. You either like or don't like this.

2D ARPG/Platformer with RPG elements (whatever). It's the Metroidvania series. Buy if you like, don't buy if you don't.

Megaman ZX:

2D Megaman action, slashing, stabbing, shooting, etc. It's a bit easier than the AWESOME Mega Man Zero series, but otherwise it's still a worthwhile purchase.

A sequel to Phoenix Wright. A game where 'more of the same' is a definite plus.

*~*

Yeah, that should last you a while.

You should really get AW, Megaman ZX and the Castlevanias, those are my favorites.

You forgot:

Animal Crossing Wild World

It's Animal Crossing, but better.

Meteos

Really, really old title, but if you like puzzle games you should get this as well.

Contact

Cool RPG with a lot of humor and gaming references. Great graphics as well, hand-drawn FF7-style, but the gameplay needs a bit of work. That's probably why it disappointed some people. If they made the animations and whatnot cleaner, put better sounds in, extended the story and fixed the battle system, this would have been GOTY.

Hotel Dusk: Room 215

If you played Phoenix Wright and liked it, you might want this. It's a little annoying and/or boring at times, but otherwise it's pretty good.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
You already got PW so get the sequel and the new one in September. Also go for Castlevanias and NSMB!

Bog

Junior Ace
Cool, I was hoping to hear what you thought of the 2 and a half year old DS.

Mudhoney

Another DS recommendation thread, another plug for kirby's canvas curse. You may not prefer the touch screen as an input method, but this game uses it very well.

ethelred

Well, I've already given you most of my recommendations, Pancakes, but might as well reiterate them.

For the exact reasons Pureauthor listed, I'll second all of these recommendations:

Pureauthor said:
Final Fantasy 3:
Lunar Knights:

... and then toss in my own:

Age of Empires: Age of Kings
It's not a port of the PC games, and instead plays very differently from them -- instead of being an RTS, it's a turn-based strategy like Advance Wars. The game looks nice, the stylus/dual screen use is really good, and there's a ton of strategic depth to it. Very highly recommended.

Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Great little adventure game. The story's well told, lots of interesting characters, excellent writing, fantastic style and presentation all around. Easily one of my favorite DS games.

Trauma Center: Under the Knife
I'm not a big fan of puzzle games in general; just never could get into the genre. But I loved Trauma Center. It's different from most of the stuff Atlus R&D1 makes, but it's still got their trademark style -- the artwork, the music, the difficulty. D says the game is easy, but I found it very challenging; easy to get super-into the game as you try to beat each new obstacle.

NSMB / Yoshi's Island
If you enjoy classic 2D platformers, I think both of these games are really good choices. Both are very, very classic in terms of being modeled after older platformers, but both live up to the reputations and quality of their predecessors. NSMB's more on the easier side and is a fun, relaxing platformer, while Yoshi's Island 2 can be maddeningly difficult. There's a nice balance between the two of them.

Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
Not the most difficult game in the world, but it's a blast to play. Nice DQ fanservicing, hilarious sense of humor with awesome writing, nice 2D visuals, fairly unique gameplay, and the tank battles are addictingly fun.

If you want to go for imports, the stuff I figure you'd most enjoy would be Super Robot Wars W (natch), Sangokushi Taisen, and Shiren the Wanderer. Also, the games I'm most looking forward to for the DS currently that are set for release soon? Etrian Odyssey, SimCity DS, Anno 1701, Rune Factory, Professor Layton, Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, and Front Mission 1st.

Definite buy list thus far:
-Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
-Phoenix Wright 2
-Etrian Odyssey

Interested in:
-Izuna
-Contact
-New Super Mario Bros.
-Tetris DS (if its got online)
-Puyo Pop Fever (if its got online)
-Luminous Arc
-Final Fantasy A2 (MAYBE, i hate the art soooo much)
-Panel de Pon
-Super Robot Wars W

Not interested in:
-non-games
-this includes animal crossing, in case the above wasnt clear
-Pokemon
-Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (i dont like soma)
-Oendan/Elite Beat Agents (not a huge fan of rhythm games

Thoren

Banned
A flashcard isn't a bad investment, there's alot of good homebrew games and you can even put ebooks and mp3s on your DS. My DS serves as my mp3 player nowadays, and size is fairly cheap for MicroSD cards ($10 for 1gb, $30 for 2gb)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The_lascar said:

damn straight!

I got the love machine rank in EBA today. Seeing how much I love the game, I should probably import the 2 Ouendans sooner or later... It's gonna be later probably due to massive study work. No Ouendan 2 release hype for me :(

Brak

METEOS!

(Kirby:Canvas Curse, Advance Wars DS, Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, Metroid Prime Pinball, many many others...)

Kazenone said:

not QUITE, it was more of a pouch you would toss aside while playing, only leather. i like what you brought to the table though, its classy.

this is the SP one i have

http://www.compareprice.ca/features...product_video_game_accessories&productID=1298

im really looking for something more along the lines of this. open ended slipcase, leather exterior, simple, holds nothing but the system, protecting most of it from scratches and whatnot

Link Man

Banned
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time (though I'll likely get a lot of flack for this) is a great game, especially if you liked Super Mario RPG or the original Mario & Luigi.

Also, if you don't have a GBA, then now would be a great time for Final Fantasy games, as the first 6 are playable on the DS (3 is on DS, 1&2 are bundled in one GBA cart, and 4-6 all got enhanced remakes for GBA).

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
ethelred said:
Except very obviously no, they're not.

Maybe not the only reasons, but definitely very good ones (especially Meteos).

Most of the good games have already been suggested, I'll put in another recommendation for Meteos (The real edition, if you get the Disney version I'll find out where you live), Trauma Center, Final Fantasy 3, and hotel dusk.

I know you don't like rhythm games, but you should at least find somebody with EBA or Ouendan and give it a try. I am not generally into rhythm games either, but there's something about it.

GreenGlowingGoo said:
Maybe not the only reasons, but definitely very good ones (especially Meteos).

Most of the good games have already been suggested, I'll put in another recommendation for Meteos (The real edition, if you get the Disney version I'll find out where you live), Trauma Center, Final Fantasy 3, and hotel dusk.

I know you don't like rhythm games, but you should at least find somebody with EBA or Ouendan and give it a try. I am not generally into rhythm games either, but there's something about it.

I have DDR Extreme and Beatmania for my rhythm fix. One of those gives me exercise as an added bonus, the other just crushes my soul :-D I have played ouendan, its not for me.

Red Scarlet said:
Have fun with PoR. Only it and FF3 are what I've played on the thing and you may like FF3 or not.

I'm not that interested in FF3 because its 3d, and im holding out for a psp-remake style version. I'm pulling for FF 1-6 on psp with a similar visual style.

jiggle said:
I just got mine too, with Pokemon.
What's a good and cheap screen protector for the lower screen?

the hori ones are usually pretty good, but im going naked for a while, my finger will never touch that screen.

[Nintex]

Theme park is still a great game and the stylus control is perfect.
Advance Wars DS, can't go wrong with this one
Megaman ZX, semi-metroid style Megaman game
New Super Mario bros., classic
Kirby Canvas Curse, get it now its awesome.

AniHawk

pancakesandsex said:
i hear thats pretty good, tell me more.

It's 2D sonic with Sonic 2-type bonus levels. The only thing people hate are bottomless pits of death, but it's still the best Sonic since the Genesis days.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
AniHawk said:
It's 2D sonic with Sonic 2-type bonus levels. The only thing people hate are bottomless pits of death, but it's still the best Sonic since the Genesis days.
That's not saying much.

Top Bottom