• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Days Are Coming (Funcom)

Wollan

TSW_poster.jpg

Breaking:

Ok they seem to have officially revealed the game now:

Cry Gaia is not the official title it has been revealed but The Secret World is.
- It's a mmo, with a lot of action elements and rpg elements and it revolves around building your character. Like any other mmo you can both solo and play in groups.
- They are taking every current time myths and applying them to this game and it's set in our world in our time with those myths applied. They are still a bit secretive about this. It's Ragner Tornquist's lovechild they say.
- They haven't revealed a release date yet but it is being built for the PC & X360. Right now they are focusing much on making Age of Conan absolutely killer which will release October 30th for PC and 2008 for the X360 though full production is still taking place for The Secret World as Funcom has 260+ employees at the moment.
- The market aim for The Secret World is for people 25years and above and the content will be suitably grown up and it's probably the first mmo with really tangible horror elements. Looks like it will be the worlds second M rated mmo game with the first being Funcom's other mmo Age of Conan.

1178820293551_400.jpg

1178820770661_458.jpg

1178820831641_141.jpg

WTa62992.jpg

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=196307

Some more pics can be found here:

http://www1.vg.no/bildespesial/show/spesial.php?id=5346&o=0&katId=41

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Previos topic content:

http://www.darkdaysarecoming.com/

Looks like they have started teasing about their next project.
Most likely the mmo title they have been working on codenamed 'The World Online'.

Some hints could also be found throughout the net, these two from a Norwegian website (Dagbladet):

funcom858_1178693450.jpg

funcomdiktart_1178695594.jpg

The last one here has a Norwegian line in it on the top right which reads:
'Amundsen found it under the ice'

Intriguing.

EDIT:

I got some more info from a Norwegian article:

header.jpg

- The circle seems to be a recurring symbol. Click the 'O' on the official website. A puzzle should eventually lead you to a forum:
http://www.darkdemonscrygaia.com/fallenearth/index.php
- 'The World Online' (now titled The Secret World) was referred to as the first Online RPG set in Our World only with a bit more mysticism attached to it.
- Hints go from «The Quest for the Grail continues», «Aliens have landed on our planet. They are still here» to «There is an afterlife».

http://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/2007/05/09/500138.html

adg1034

Me=ignorant, but could this be the episodic next installment in Tornquist's Dreamfall series?

EDIT: "Ragnar" could be made from the letters in the picture...

Wollan

There's a Norwegian article about it now, give me a few minutes.

http://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/2007/05/09/500138.html

Edit: Cry Gaia seems to be the title.

2nd Edit: The circle seems to be a recurring symbol. Click the 'O' on the official website.

3rd Edit: The World Online was referred to as the first Online RPG set in Our World only with a bit more mysticism attached to it.

4th Edit: Hints go from «The Quest for the Grail continues», «Aliens have landed on our planet. They are still here» to «There is an afterlife».

=W=

If you click the O and go to the picture, I've found four different places to click that all bring up 3 draggable symbols at the bottom. Dunno what to do with them though.

iamblades

Interesting.

What I really want from them is an Anarchy Online 2 though, I've always loved the AO universe, but after almost 6 years, it is looking a bit long in the tooth.

Hope this and Conan are successful so we can get an AO 2 with a proper budget.

adg1034

=W= said:
If you click the O and go to the picture, I've found four different places to click that all bring up 3 symbols at the bottom. Dunno what to do with them though.

Me either, but apparently solving the puzzle gets you to a forum. I'll keep trying the puzzle, though.

I'm loving The Longest Journey I really hope they continue this series. They also make money on it so don't give me bullshit like "piracy is killing our games" again Funcom.

Joe Molotov

Prime crotch said:
I'm loving The Longest Journey I really hope they continue this series. They also make money on it so don't give me bullshit like "piracy is killing our games" again Funcom.

They've already talked about the future of TLJ, it's supposed to continue on in an episodic format called "The Dreamfall Chapters."

adg1034

Not sure how you got the puzzle solved, but nice.

Anyway, apparently, depending on your IP address, the site directs you to one of 3 pages, each with the same puzzle, but in a different city (Shanghai, New York, London). After you complete the puzzle for the city you get, some symbols (that turn out to be letters/numbers in Sanskrit) appear. People on the forum put them together, and it turns out that, like in many ARGs like this, they're coordinates. The 5 sets of coordinates point to:

1. Easter Island
2. Somewhere off Bermuda
3. Somewhere in Tibet
4. Ayers Rock
5. The South Pole.

And, yes, as a set of 5 points, they could form a pentagram.

As a game, this sounds like either an MMO puzzle game (like Uru) or something in the adventure genre. Either way, it's seeming cool so far.

Jonnyram

I saw all this yesterday, but when DC told me about "Sunshine" today, and I saw the tagline for that movie, I thought all this was related to that :/ So this is a game, after all?

Funcom should be presented with the resources to tackle more innovative MMOs.

It was a fool who decided not to support their last canceled project about Norse village communties.

Wollan

The title is enough to make you want to love this thing.
Put Dreamfall in a mixer with Millennium and Heroes and you get the vibe I'm feeling now.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The game is called Cry Gaia? Is anyone else getting serious wood from that?

Wollan

speedpop said:
So what is this? An MMO?

- 'The World Online' (now titled Cry Gaia) was referred to as the first Online RPG set in Our World only with a bit more mysticism attached to it.
- Hints go from «The Quest for the Grail continues», «Aliens have landed on our planet. They are still here» to «There is an afterlife».

Somebody already nicknamed it TheoryCraft but you can see a playable character wearing a sword on their back in an ancient build. It's not totally known if it's a mmo or just a online rpg at this point though I would guess mmo. It's set to our time actually so it may be real time.

Durante

This looks intriguing. And since Tornquist is involved I'm optimistic.

The german at the bottom of the note says:
"Something about a 'War of Darkness'"

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
"It was a war of darkness" at the bottom?

top left says something latin(i think) ending with illuminati.

and wasn't aamundsen some sort of adventurer who traversed the south pole? I know I'm confusing him with Nansen, but I feel there is something pole-faring about that name.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
KyanMehwulfe said:
Funcom should be presented with the resources to tackle more innovative MMOs.

It was a fool who decided not to support their last canceled project about Norse village communties.

oy, the best norse village game ever is "vikingbyen" or what the hell it's called.

Station42

Gaia might be referred to the planet earth...

Gaia or Gaea derives from the Greek words Ge (γη) = Earth (Pelasgian), and *aia (αια) = grandmother (PIE). Thus, Gaia (γαια) can refer to any one of the following:

* Gaia as myth, Greek goddess (her equivalent in Rome is Terra or Tellus), in Sumerian mythology she is referred to as Ki;

etc...

Durante

I got a french-speaking friend of mine to translate the french parts:

"Qu'est-ce que ca veut dire?" == "What does this mean/signify?"
"Qui sont les Huits?" == "Who are the Eight?"

Eight is used like a name apparently. Though he isn't sure whether the last word is indeed "Huits".

Wollan

Brobzoid said:
ord delings feil?

:lol Good attempt.

Word separations wrong? is about how that sounds. We wouldn't use 's' though but either 'er' or nothing in this case and feil would be at the start of the sentence.
Vikingbyen is two words but you can have it as one word so you weren't wrong originally.

I don't think this is The Longest Journey related, i've been playing alot of those games lately and this doesn't look like the TLJ 'style' (futuristic stark vs. arcane arcadia)

Wollan

Ok they seem to have officially revealed the game now:

Cry Gaia is sadly not the official title but The Secret World is.
- It's a mmo, with a lot of action elements and rpg elements and it revolves around building your character. Like any other mmo you can both solo and play in groups.
- They are taking every current time myths and applying them to this game and it's set in our world in our time with those myths applied. They are still a bit secretive about this. It's Ragner Tornquist's lovechild they say.
- They haven't revealed a release date yet but it is being built for the PC & X360. Right now they are focusing much on making Age of Conan absolutely killer which will release October 30th for PC and 2008 for the X360 though full production is still taking place for The Secret World as Funcom has 260+ employees at the moment.
- The market aim for The Secret World is for people 25years and above and the content will be suitably grown up and it's probably the first mmo with really tangible horror elements. Looks like it will be the worlds second M rated mmo game with the first being Funcom's other mmo Age of Conan.

1178820293551_400.jpg

1178820770661_458.jpg

1178820831641_141.jpg

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=196307

Some more pics can be found here:

http://www1.vg.no/bildespesial/show/spesial.php?id=5346&o=0&katId=41

Smiles and Cries said:
really? kinda looks like Pirates of the Caribbean

Those guys on the right sort of remind me of Resident Evil enemies. That blob guy is a mix between Doom 3 and the FLUDD. The world is about taking the right influences and building upon it.

Wollan

The game is being made both in Oslo (Norway) and Bejing. Sounds like all the game design and ideas are from their Oslo offices and Ragnar with Bejing aiding with content creation.

Top Bottom