• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Days Are Coming (Funcom)

Wollan

I think those monsters are replicating a Norwegian myth named 'Nøkken'. It's basically a swamp horror told about in Norwegian folklore.

Kittelsen%20-%20nokken.jpg

Looks more twisted though in the Funcom art compared to the one above here (national art piece).

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I really love how that vg article, out of no where, points out that two of the funcom people used to work for vg.

Sup guys. Trust me when I say this is going to be cool. It's been in dev for a year. There's a lot I can't say this point, but for now high res concept art and official news straight from Funcom is here:

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/46909

http://www.shacknews.com/screens.x/thesecretworld/The+Secret+World/1/art/

The Secret World springs from the imagination of director Ragnar Tornquist, creator of legendary adventure game The Longest Journey (PC) and last year's sequel Dreamfall (Xbox, PC). "We started envisioning this contemporary online world more than ten years ago, and as the years passed the ideas grew and improved," explained Tornquist. "We always wanted a different kind of online world, something scary and contemporary, something deeper and closer to our reality. Our goal now is to create a detailed world where players feel empowered and part of something big, something mystical and epic."

Wollan

Sounds like a 2009 title which fits in with the announcement of Conan and it's release though I guess late 2008 is possible with them having the engine foundation worked out. Great artwork.

vr471631.jpg

Snaku

Banned
Big TLJ fan here, and I must say this looks brilliant. Almost makes me want to hold off on Conan, and wait for this (I get burned out on MMOs quickly).

Can't wait to get more info on this, and the next episode of Dreamfall.

Brobzoid

Wollan said:
You're Scandinavian?

Anyways, The Secret World forum is now open for business:

http://www.darkdemonscrygaia.com

e russ og greier. ;)

and this thread was really good.

it's about the symbols that flash on screen at the web-site.

Transliterating the symbols reveals coordinates, which match up to the following mystical locations:

1. EASTER ISLAND - 27 6' 31"S, 109 21' 11"W

2. Near Bermuda - 36 32' 10"N, 59 55' 0"W

3. Tibet - 31 3' 36"N, 81 1' 50"E

4. AYERS ROCK - 25 20' 41"S, 131 1' 57"E

5. SOUTH POLE - 86 15' 24"S, 153 42' 40"E

apparently these locations make up a pentagram. But I can't see the picture Coren posted.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Chris Remo said:
It's been in dev for a year.

It's been in dev forever. But yeah, at the risk of hyperbole this game will be one of the crowning achievements in human endeavour.

One company plans on supporting multiple MMOs at the same time? And for two different platforms? Smells like trouble. Although I'll keep my eyes open.

Brobzoid

ToyMachine228 said:
One company plans on supporting multiple MMOs at the same time? And for two different platforms? Smells like trouble. Although I'll keep my eyes open.

they have supported anarchy online for ages, largely for free, so I think they know what they're doing.

This looks really cool, damn MMO's.

<------Arm stretches for copy of WoW on bookshelf, currently uninstalled.......no, must...not...

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
not liking the generic character designs, (anime inspired modern teens with katanas! cool!)

the rest of the stuff looks sharp though

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
Totally awesome and Lovecraftian! Gotta see how this turns out, I hope it will be as good as it could be in my head!

acklame

looks awesome, i love the setting. i'm actually interested in this even though i have zero interest in MMOs after being burned out by FFXI & WoW.

Piscopink

Geek said:
This is the answer.

cry_gaia_solve.jpg

All you'll get is concept art and the forum.

Do you have a larger picture? I was trying to solve this puzzle, but each of the pieces come in slight variations of themselves.

Wollan

Here's the Cthulhu art without the IGN brand:

TSW_poster.jpg

They're having all kinds of crazy mystery and puzzles over at the official forum for those who are interested in that kinda stuff.

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
Piscopink said:
Do you have a larger picture? I was trying to solve this puzzle, but each of the pieces come in slight variations of themselves.
You can make it out from that one though, I did. The variations are pretty noticable. Also it starts pulsating faster and faster when you get one right. :)

Best poster art evar!

SeatBelts

Banned
Kodiak said:
not liking the generic character designs, (anime inspired modern teens with katanas! cool!)

the rest of the stuff looks sharp though

Also yeah, agree..the chars are very simplistic..

MCD

Wollan said:
No, it's all art for their new game The Secret World in this thread.

Hmm...thought they would use some old creatures from their games in this new MMO.

Raist

Banned
Durante said:
I got a french-speaking friend of mine to translate the french parts:

"Qu'est-ce que ca veut dire?" == "What does this mean/signify?"
"Qui sont les Huits?" == "Who are the Eight?"

Eight is used like a name apparently. Though he isn't sure whether the last word is indeed "Huits".

Correct. But here it could have some implicit meaning. Or could refer to some organization of people who are eight and would be called "The Eight", for instance.

May be referring to the infinity symbol next to the text too, since it's basically an horizontal eight.

Brobzoid

hyldra and draugen?

this image is a better representation of how draugen is commonly personified.

fake edit: doesn't really look like a hylder in this particular piece of art work, but I feel that character is based on hyldra anyway, probably has some morphing attributes...

SeatBelts

Banned
Avalon said:
Very interesting.

I hope it doesn't have an instanced world.

I doubt it.An MMO like this...you'd want to have a strong community, so they can work together and solve the puzzles and what not.

Holy shit my hype level is rising for this game :p

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
The concept art is fantastic. Awesome.
It's a pity they choose the MMO genre and the "building your character" focus... it looked promising :(

Top Bottom