• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOE announces KungFu Hustle (no word on the platform)

methane47

SONY PR said:
SONY ONLINE ENTERTAINMENT INTRODUCES KUNG FU HUSTLE
(Full text of a statement. Contact details below.)

MEDIA RELEASE PR26094 Sony Online Entertainment Introduces Kung Fu Hustle SAN DIEGO and TAIPEI, May 10 /PRNewswire-AsiaNet/ --

Taipei-Based SOGA Studio and Shanghai Northstar Join Forces to Develop Original Title Based on Stephen Chow's Hit Film for Chinese Market

Sony Online Entertainment LLC (SOE), a global leader in the online games industry, today announced that its Taipei-based SOGA studio, in conjunction with Shanghai Northstar is developing a game based on the hit movie Kung Fu Hustle.

Designed specifically for the Chinese market, SOGA is also collaborating with development talent from across China to assist in the design and development of the game.

"Working with Stephen Chow has been a fantastic experience," says John Laurence, General Manager of (SOGA).

"His sense of humor, directing and martial arts expertise has been an enormous asset for us; he's an avid video game player, with a strong sense of game design."

Kung Fu Hustle combines the best elements of classic fighting games from the past and adds compelling character designs, new technology and trademark humor from the movie for a new generation of gamers.

Players will encounter familiar characters from the movie, such as Sin, the Sidekick, the Landlady, Beast and more.

Kung Fu Hustle features a branching story mode, where players can hone their Kung Fu skills against a host of wacky enemies as they battle their way across China.

By cooperating with friends, players can learn new sets of moves to add to their martial arts arsenal.
In Versus Mode, eight players can go head to head in all out multiplayer mayhem, creating that old-school arcade feeling online.

Gamers can even watch and scout potential opponents online before challenging them.

While Kung Fu Hustle will be free to play, players will be able to purchase extra lives and hundreds of virtual items for a nominal fee.

"Kung Fu Hustle represents a decidedly different and exciting direction for SOE in terms of creating territory-specific content utilizing local development talent," says David D.

Christensen, Vice President of Business Development & International Operations for Sony Online Entertainment.

"We are confident this approach will help us to further extend SOE's global business."

Sounds nice... While it looks like it might be PC only.. It would be great if this turned up on the PSN.. EIGHT PLAYER BATTLE ROYALS FOR THE WIN

ManaByte

Just in case anyone missed it:
Taipei-Based SOGA Studio and Shanghai Northstar Join Forces to Develop Original Title Based on Stephen Chow's Hit Film for Chinese Market

Microtransactions are how most games in that market work. Get the game, and then buy game cards or other payment options for extra lives, items, etc.

laserbeam

Banned
ManaByte said:
Just in case anyone missed it:

Microtransactions are how most games in that market work. Get the game, and then buy game cards or other payment options for extra lives, items, etc.

Piracy is so bad over there its about the only way companies are assured of making some cash. ship ut the most bare boned thing possible and make people buy all the cut stuff

TiVo

Wasn't there a much hyped kungfu game called Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon that had over the top kungfu moves?
And that got a what 5.3?

Enk

makes good threads.
John Harker said:
:lol what a sweet movie.

Should do SHAOLIN SOCCER though!

I concur.

I would definitely go for a Shaolin Soccer game if done right. Kung Fu Hustle on the other hand...I don't know. Loved the film but will wait and see on the game. The eight player versus mode could be fun.

Snaku

Banned
I adore that movie! Really need a uncut DVD/Blu ray release in America.

If you don't **** this game up Sony, I just might buy a PS3 (if that's the platform).

bryehn

Ps3 makes the most sense, but honestly I'd rather just get a BluRay version of the original HK cut of the movie.

Busty

Banned
GameGamer said:
Stephen Chow doing games.

I'm listening.....

Agreed. If they tart this up a bit and stick it on the PSN that would be cool. By the way, this is the second PSN announcement today after their Eye-C-Ur-Boobs : Strip Poker thing. Are SOE having some sort of non-E3 gathering like SEGA, etc?

Tiduz

Eurogaime
HOLY SHIT, one my fave movie gets a game, Please let it be ps3 Please let it be ps3 Please let it be ps3 Please let it be ps3 Please let it be ps3

and shaolin soccer too, i would kill for that on bluray.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Snaku said:

If you don't **** this game up Sony, I just might buy a PS3 (if that's the platform).

isnt it out on BR in america? i got kungfuhustle BR uncut with cantonese/english speech, or are you talking about Shoalin Soccer, if so i 100% agree.

methane47

Snaku said:

Sadly this is SOE making this game... so I dont know...
They DID make Star Wars Galaxies :D .. But they also made Star Wars Galaxies nerf edition

I mean They DID make Everquest... but then again.. they also made Untold Legends....

its up in the air for me...

ManaByte

methane47 said:
Sadly this is SOE making this game... so I dont know...
They DID make Star Wars Galaxies :D .. But they also made Star Wars Galaxies nerf edition

I mean They DID make Everquest... but then again.. they also made Untold Legends....

its up in the air for me...

From the PR:

Taipei-Based SOGA Studio

This is being done by SOGA who did EQII Asia and the Fallen Dynasty adventure pack for EQII. SWG is done in Austin and EQ/UL are in San Diego.

Top Bottom