• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII put on hold?

Mau ®

http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/

An interview with Tetsuya Nomura has been published in the latest issue of Dengeki Playstation in Japan. We're having to rely on online translation so the transcripted portion of the interview we're looking at is extremely hard to make out. Unfortunately nothing new, just more waiting.

Nomura says he prefers to work on one project at a time which is why he is currently focusing on his mobile game, Monotone at this time. He says he isn't forgetting about Versus but just waiting until he has more free time to begin working on it. He also doesn't want to begin working on Versus quite yet because of the high specifications of the PS3. He wants to utilize all the technology the PS3 contains and produce the game that he envisioned which isn't possible at the moment.

sphinx

the piano man
wait, when was this game expected to come out, realistically? I always thought the game's earliest possible release was spring 2009.

Does this mean FFV XIII 2012 confirmed or what?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
sphinx said:
wait, when was this game expected to come out, realistically? I always thought the game's earliest possible release was spring 2009.

Does this mean FFV XIII 2012 confirmed or what?

What is "FFVXIII"?

And Versus was cited as 1.3% done last fall I think. I have no idea where they got that percentage.

methane47

He also doesn't want to begin working on Versus quite yet because of the high specifications of the PS3. He wants to utilize all the technology the PS3 contains and produce the game that he envisioned which isn't possible at the moment.

No 360 version.. confirmed

Aeris130

He wants to utilize all the technology the PS3 contains and produce the game that he envisioned which isn't possible at the moment.

The cell (or perhaps the userbase) continues to elude SE. Sticking to one game at the time sounds like a good idea though, compared to releasing an onslaught of mediocre titles.

Deku

Banned
ElectricBlue187 said:
It would be awesome if they cancelled all this spinoff crap and just made Final Fantasy 13 like 100 hours long

On the PS3? Might cost them 50 million. Spinoffs allow them to spread their risks and potentially move one to a more profitable platform, like the DS.

Deku said:
On the PS3? Might cost them 50 million. Spinoffs allow them to spread their risks and potentially move one to a more profitable platform, like the DS.

I know that, I'm just saying it would be freakin awesome is all

I don't want to play action FF games and crap, I'd actually rather just have FF expansion packs with the same story and combat systems

joesmokey

I'd prefer to get the whole interview first, though it does sound like FFXIII Versus is on a temporary hiatus. Maybe there's a reason they haven't given us any of the trailers lately.

Why does he only mention Monotone and not the FFXIII main game?

Mau ®

joesmokey said:
I'd prefer to get the whole interview first, though it does sound like FFXIII Versus is on a temporary hiatus. Maybe there's a reason they haven't given us any of the trailers lately.

Why does he only mention Monotone and not the FFXIII main game?

Besides creating the main XIII character, Nomura is not really that much involved with FFXIII.

Ceb

tanod said:
Is this the same interview in the thread that you posted?

No, that was from the SE party. I don't really see what the big deal is though. Versus is still clearly in the pre-production phase or at least very early, and how long can it take to finish up a simplistic cell phone game?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
The less Nomura, the better, as far as FF goes... Except in the case of FFXII, which had barely any Nomura to my knowledge and still sucked :p

badcrumble said:
Ooh good point! FF7R (re)Confirmed!

nawww... that's already 86% done, to be shown as a further teaser @ E3, fully unveiled @ TGS, with a stealth release in both US/Japan in mid December (which will be the last bit of the FF ANNIVERSARY news S-E hinted at earlier this year). :D

Matix

Putting a major next-gen console Final Fantasy title on hold for a ****ing low-budget cell-phone game, WTF?!

Also how many upcoming titles has Normura stuck his dick in?!

Busty

Banned
I wonder if the delaying of FF XIII Versus has anything to do with the impending Kingdom Hearts announcement this year?

Frankly, owing to the snail's pace the game was moving at I don't think for a second that it was cancelled or anything quite so melodramatic, but I could believe that SE are putting more resources into FF XIII at the moment rather than trying to balance two 'AAA' PS3 games.

What with everything else they are doing....... ;)

Busty said:
I wonder if the delaying of FF XIII Versus has anything to do with the impending Kingdom Hearts announcement this year?

Frankly, owing to the snail's pace the game was moving at I don't think for a second that it was cancelled or anything quite so melodramatic, but I could believe that SE are putting more resources into FF XIII at the moment rather than trying to balance two 'AAA' PS3 games.

What with everything else they are doing....... ;)
Apart from big players like Nomura, I'd guess that most of the Square-Enix staff are working on one product at a time, two at the very most. Unless they're trying to accelerate development, they wouldn't need to stick more people onto FF13's dev team.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
No actually the truth is they are porting it to the DS, with 4D graphics and spanning five cartridges....

Busty

Banned
Relix said:
No actually the truth is they are porting it to the DS, with 4D graphics and spanning five cartridges....

Brillant.

All this post is missing is a Giant Crab or Massive Damage

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Busty said:
Brillant.

All this post is missing is a Giant Crab or Massive Damage

Oh that's easy!

Actually the truth is they are porting it to the DS, with 4D graphics and spanning five cartridges, where you touch the screen for Massive Damage on enemies.

Busty

Banned
Relix said:
Oh that's easy!

Actually the truth is they are porting it to the DS, with 4D graphics and spanning five cartridges, where you touch the screen for Massive Damage on enemies.

Better.

*Adjusts tie*

Eteric Rice

ShockingAlberto said:
Maybe Square is working on it in secret so he doesn't ruin it.

Nomura: "So I've finally decided what Versus will be like."
Square: "Yeah, about that..."
Nomura: "It will have lots of high tech gadgets, like a Bond movie!"
Square: "Uhh..."
Nomura: "And the girls will wear short skirts! Shorter than ever before! With buttons and belts!
Square: "Yeah..."
Nomura: "And the main character will use a large belt! Bigger than himself even! Sort of like those American bull riders use, but bigger!"
Square: "NOMURA!..."
Nomura: "Yes? Genius, isn't it? I'm a genius aren't I!?"
Square: "I'm sorry man, but... we've already finished Versus... Er, sorry about that..."
Nomura: "... Oh..."

Top Bottom