• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Around 5% of Final Fantasy XVI’s cutscenes are pre-rendered

Here’s what was jotted down by a translator who watched some Japanese interview given by Yoshida.

“And since the game is rendered on real time, Ochiai asks if there's anything YoshiP is particular about when developing the game through the use of game engine. YoshiP's answer: They wanted to stop using anything that is related to pre-render, but there is one particular scene that involves the sea (which he won't detail because spoilers) and he felt that going real time render is impossible for that particular moment, so he'd say 95% of the game is real time, and the sea/ocean is pre-render, and characters that are rendered in real time will be pre-rendered just for that particular part and created a movie cutscene of it without any need of loading (since they are going with an FF with no "Now Loading" on screen).”

Further clarification from translator:

“Yes, it's true that YoshiP has said that he has discussed with the team that they want, or aim to stop using pre-rendered. However there are certain cutscenes that would require the use of pre-render, which he cited that there are scenes involving the sea as an example, which he won't detail which or what scene that is because it has spoilers. As the sea would naturally make it impossible for the scene to be done in real time, so they render the sea in pre-render, while characters along with other assets that are rendered in real time are re-rendered in pre-render format for that particular scene (which I assume is dividing the asset for two usages: one for real time, and one for pre-render use). They also made sure that the game can progress without the need to use loading feature on it (meaning it's seamless).”

We know the Kingsglaive CG team is involved. The head of the internal CG studio at Square Enix is apparently “directing certain scenes,” along with providing “background pre-rendered elements” for certain scenes.

Plus they at least worked on things like this CG render of Clive as well:

xmo94jy.jpg

But despite this information, I still have zero clue if Yoshi-P is just referring to scenes that 100% use in-engine assets and are just played as a video, or if Yoshi-P is being coy about there being some full-on CG cutscenes like prior FF games. And obviously, I hope the latter is the case.

How would you guys interpret it?

Last edited:

Shh

Well ... I mean ... the game itself appears to have amazing graphics. But I've always been a HUGE fan of Final Fantasy cutscenes. So it's a little disappointing.

EDMIX

In this day and age, that percentage will continue to lower. Real time is cheaper and they are able to maintain the same art direction and theme better.

Well ... I mean ... the game itself appears to have amazing graphics. But I've always been a HUGE fan of Final Fantasy cutscenes. So it's a little disappointing.
I’m fine with there being a decrease. But I still want there to be a handful, and with specialized high-end character models from their CG team. Of course, people that don’t like CG cutscenes will cite “FFVIIR tho” as their one example of how they’re “bad.”

Blizzard knows their CG cutscenes are a tradition, despite improved visuals. Same with Namco Bandai and the Tales games’ anime cutscenes.

Last edited:
I'd bet this is one of them, that water looks too good to be real time
H4BgWJt.gif
looks super weird, the boat's movement
sails, but turns like a speed boat
no idea about ships and boats at all and what they may or may not actually be able to do, but just my thought about what looks just wrong in that animation

hemo memo

Gold Member
no idea about ships and boats at all and what they may or may not actually be able to do, but just my thought about what looks just wrong in that animation
Heavy rain wind I guess.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Guess the CGI team couldn't lower their quality enough to match the in-game graphics to not be that noticeable.

RaduN

XII had about the same % of pre-rendered cutscenes (intro and a few others here and there).
Good thing the models will be same as the real-time ones (if i understand that correctly).

Sensei

Of course, people that don’t like CG cutscenes will cite “FFVIIR tho” as their one example of how they’re “bad.”
Is anyone actually saying that the FFVIIR cutscenes are bad?! I mean, I can't say I really like their content (you know what I'm talking about), but from an artistic/technical standpoint, I don't think there's much to complain about
especially when you consider that in the end you're basically watching Advent Children.

Edellus

In the same trailer you can see the ship has some sort of propulsion system.

K2D

Banned
Ok go see the Diablo IV cinematics and then try saying that again with a straight face
Do I -NEED- to specify that it doesn't apply to the industry as a whole? That goes without saying.

And of course you can do cool stuff with cgi that isn't possible or practical in real time, but that 95 percent absolutely looks better as real-time.

Top Bottom