• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 9s pre-rendered backgrounds are still stunning

Go_Ly_Dow

I was searching for a new chrome background and found this library which has most of the pre-rendered background from 9 upscaled and it reminded me how gorgeous the art direction in that game is. It's like crack for the eyes.

Here are a couple of hundred images to oggle at the link:

FSsrpJm.jpg

6f2YaJf.jpg
UbnaQ0T.jpg

vqmoYvb.jpg
jnnSfbP.jpg

XaYWffw.jpg

Hope the remake rumours turn out to be true.

Last edited:
I'll always stand behind the use of prerendered backgrounds as not only some sort of necessity from lack of technological progress but a clear winner for enabling artistic expression. It's not just the visuals themselves, it's the framing and almost movie like direction needed to convey a certain feeling with every scene. It gives the game designers a level of control over how the player feels in each area that is missing when you hand complete control of the camera over the player. I miss prerendered backgrounds dearly, especially with horror games, and I hope they get a resurgence someday.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I’d turn the sharpening up a few more notches for maximum effect.

It was a beautiful game, no question. Top prerendered backgrounds for its era. A bit too much stuff going on for performance’s sake, but we put up.

Roxkis_ii

I love the art style of FF9. Even at the time of release, the art style inspired a nostalgic feeling. Maybe it was because it was the first Playstation final fantasy to have a midevil like setting. It aged pretty well too.

K2D

Banned
Great to see that the art assets for 9 survived the early digital age.

I would want them to reboot 8 as well, as long as the don't age down and glow up the protagonists..

NahaNago

I really don't think squareenix could really do this game justice with the remake if they try to go the ff7remake route. The scale of everything from the world and the buildings are just huge and squareenix would probably cheap out on it. Plus exploring it would just feel different.

CGNoire

I'll always stand behind the use of prerendered backgrounds as not only some sort of necessity from lack of technological progress but a clear winner for enabling artistic expression. It's not just the visuals themselves, it's the framing and almost movie like direction needed to convey a certain feeling with every scene. It gives the game designers a level of control over how the player feels in each area that is missing when you hand complete control of the camera over the player. I miss prerendered backgrounds dearly, especially with horror games, and I hope they get a resurgence someday.
Same for fixed camera 3d like opening of SH1.

Go_Ly_Dow

I really don't think squareenix could really do this game justice with the remake if they try to go the ff7remake route. The scale of everything from the world and the buildings are just huge and squareenix would probably cheap out on it. Plus exploring it would just feel different.
Remake rumours state it won't be an FF7R style production, but the same framework as the original just remade, probably 1:1 with voices, remade soundtrack and hopefully new CGI!

Gimme 4k remade pre-rendered backgrounds baby.

Scotty W

Gold Member
Square should do all Final Fantasies like this. Add some qol adjustments, and I think people would be genuinely excited for FF again.

Reactions: Dis

Go_Ly_Dow

Square should do all Final Fantasies like this. Add some qol adjustments, and I think people would be genuinely excited for FF again.
FF10 HD Remaster was a massive success. I believe it's sold more than the original game. So if an FF9 Remake is also a huge success then hopefully we'll finally get more higher budget pre-rendered background RPGs again. FF8 would be a given at some point but perhaps they could remake FF6 in the style of FF7-9, rather than FF7R or FF16.

Fbh

It's a shame almost no one does pre rendered backgrounds these days.
I always see the argument that they aren't needed anymore because they were just a product of technical limitations that no longer exist.
But there aren't a lot of JRPG (or games in general) which really nail the vibe and look and of games like FFIX, Baten Kaitos, Chrono Cross, etc

tumblr_owffx8J2Vy1tln6w5o1_r1_500.gif
864b17b5791b358ffb66e0c27d43740a82d0b906.gif

They'd look even better now that they could be in 4K and we have the tech to make the interactive 3D elements in them blend in better

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

It's a shame almost no one does pre rendered backgrounds these days.
I always see the argument that they aren't needed anymore because they were just a product of technical limitations that no longer exist.
But there aren't a lot of JRPG (or games in general) which really nail the vibe and look and of games like FFIX, Baten Kaitos, Chrono Cross, etc

tumblr_owffx8J2Vy1tln6w5o1_r1_500.gif
864b17b5791b358ffb66e0c27d43740a82d0b906.gif

They'd look even better now that they could be in 4K and we have the tech to make the interactive 3D elements in them blend in better
You could make a massive scale RPG using this approach with todays tech and console horsepower for a fraction of the cost it takes to make an AAA game.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
You can do better in real time ages now, hence 0 reason to limit any game to static, limited views (unless a design choice, which they can still do with full real time 3D they don't need to spend time pre-rendering and thus have the ability for more camera movement when/if necessary in game too).

I suppose we don't get games like that with Square trying to make the next DMC and that can be an issue but there are plenty isometric or similar games that go for an old school vibe anyway, of course they don't have the budget for the best visuals, prerendered or otherwise, but still they're there.

Last edited:

IAmRei

I wish fixed camera will be a thing more these days. In my opinion, it could capture magical way to tell the story even more. I can say if i look at the vast environment like those above, it could triggers imagination more than open wide world. Because there are lot of details in confined space for better designed area. Giving me more to concern about it more. 3D fixed or 2D prerendered like older ff is awesome to tell more rather than bland open world with emptiness because of budget restrains.

I always wonder what is behind the angle of camera in ff x besaid, or lindburm city towering area in ff ix, or my favorite city such as timberland of ff viii.

One of My fave sidequest is : toilet hunting in ff 7. It gave me lot of details which often ask me something, do our npc ever have toilet in rpgs?

Although i'm also fans of liveness of the cities of ff xii explorable area at the time of the ps2 era.

There are lot of things that i like in older ff, and IX also itch my imagination a lot back then.

cireza

These HD renders don't look good. These artworks were meant for 240p and CRT TVs, and this is still where they look the best.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

I wish fixed camera will be a thing more these days. In my opinion, it could capture magical way to tell the story even more. I can say if i look at the vast environment like those above, it could triggers imagination more than open wide world. Because there are lot of details in confined space for better designed area. Giving me more to concern about it more. 3D fixed or 2D prerendered like older ff is awesome to tell more rather than bland open world with emptiness because of budget restrains.

I always wonder what is behind the angle of camera in ff x besaid, or lindburm city towering area in ff ix, or my favorite city such as timberland of ff viii.

One of My fave sidequest is : toilet hunting in ff 7. It gave me lot of details which often ask me something, do our npc ever have toilet in rpgs?

Although i'm also fans of liveness of the cities of ff xii explorable area at the time of the ps2 era.

There are lot of things that i like in older ff, and IX also itch my imagination a lot back then.
You should check out what they've done with the Star Ocean 2 remake. It might be the best of both worlds between fixed camera angles and fully 3d.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I still distinctly remember getting this game, and thinking how amazing it looked, Square's artists were just masters of the process by this point and knew exactly what they were doing and decided to show off.

diffusionx

Gold Member
You can do better in real time ages now, hence 0 reason to limit any game to static, limited views (unless a design choice, which they can still do with full real time 3D they don't need to spend time pre-rendering and thus have the ability for more camera movement when/if necessary in game too).

YOOO SQUARE
HIRE
THIS
MAN

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

I need 9 and 8 as fully done remakes to be complete again
My guess based of hope and rumours:

FF7 Rebirth (2024) > FF9 Remake (2025) > FF10 Remake (2026 - 1 source who has got a few things right said this was in dev for a 2026 and 25th anniversary release) > FF7R final (2027-28)

Then after this we'll see 8 and 6 remade either to a similar standard of FF7R or to the standard of FF9R.

Call me crazy, but come back to this post in like 2-3 years!

Last edited:

IAmRei

You should check out what they've done with the Star Ocean 2 remake. It might be the best of both worlds between fixed camera angles and fully 3d.
Yep, although the sprites kinda bug me a little. But i will play it (soon after i finish my backlog this year, which a lot of) i never had chance to finish SO2 back then in psx, because i borrow the game from my friend back then, and nearly after i got "air ship" i stop playing. So this remake could be another wayy to finish the game soon

Top Bottom