• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I knew X68000 was GOD himself. was used by Capcom to develop CPS Arcade games!

camineet

Banned
I knew X68000 was GOD himself. was used by Capcom to develop CPS Arcade games!

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showpost.php?p=3102801&postcount=1606

Another reason the x68000 is important to SF fans is that it was the Development machine that Capcom used to program all the CPS1 and CPS2 games!! More info here: http://eab.abime.net/printthread.php?t=16778&page=2&pp=40

"X68k were just more than conversion or ports, it's the machines capcom developpers used to create the games we love....."

Crayfish.

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=181255&postcount=26
the CPS 1 and 2 arcade PCB SDK was created on the X68000 for those who didn't know that. That's why the games are pixel perfect..... They just have to adapt the code a bit to remove the coin/dipswitches part and here we go.

The CPS1 / 2 were only "console stand-alone port of X680X0 machines"

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=181264&postcount=28
As i said all the cps1 and 2 games were programmed on X68k.

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=181270&postcount=30
Yep but i'm not the only one to know that and most of all Hiroaki Hondo one of the CPS2 engineers was doing his stuff on X68k.

"don't forget there are many X68k all around Japan" (copyright capcom 1987) so yes document yourself about CPS SDK you'll find it was running on X680X0

X68k were just more than conversion or ports, it's the machines capcom developpers used to create the games we love.....

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=210108&postcount=64
In fact i as have stated earlier, The X680X0 was the CPS2 workstation.

CPS1 and CPS2 are hardware board "console" derivated versions of the X680X0

CPS1 and CPS2 games were software created on X680x0.

when you look at Street Fighter II Dash (Champion Edition) released back to X68000, you are basicly looking at the arcade game.

it's closer than even Saturn's Capcom Generation 5, PS1's Street Fighter Collection 2,
or the PS1-based version in Capcom Classics Collection Volume 2 on PS2/Xbox!.

X680X0 family of computers = GOD (circa 1987).

Izzy

Banned
Yeah, x68000 was amazing for its time - far more powerful than AMIGA. Sadly SHARP were a bit clueless when it came to marketing the machine.

eso76

not sure if x68000 was used to develop cps games, but cps1 games were not really pixel perfect on it.

edit: just being anal, i remember Strider hud, for example, was displayed on a black bar instead of being on a transparent layer, the game was indeed absolutely pixel perfect apart from that, so perfect in fact that the emulated X68000 version of Strider is the closest you can get to the original, meaning it's actually more faithful to the arcade than mame and finalburn emulation itself ( more faithful sound emulation, no sound bugs etc.)

Sapiens

ITA84 said:
And I got to know about the X68000 just because of a Konami game (Castlevania). Go figure...

Ditto

This news makes complete sense, I guess. I hear the collectors market rivals the Neo Geo...

camineet

Banned
CPS games on X68000 were damn close to being carbon-copies. Strider not so much, but still a f**kload closer than the MD-Genesis conversion.

Street Fighter II Champion Edition and Ghouls 'n Ghosts were masterpieces, closer to the CPS versions than the ones on the PS1/Saturn/PS2/Xbox collections.

I think CPS was somewhat more powerful than the standard X68000.
256 objects/sprites + 2048-4096 colors on screen vs 128 sprites + 256 colors on screen.

but I'm guessing one of the more powerful X680X0 models were more powerful.

1997's X68000 was even better, in many areas, than the 2nd-generation Amiga chipset
(AGA graphics used in A1200, CD32) as far as doing sprite based games.

as for NEO-GEO, it was more powerful, yet had lower resolution than either CPS or X68000.

it's pretty damn incredible for a machine 1987.

I wish the Sega Genesis or NEC SuperGrafx had had the X68000 chips, with one addition: hardware scaling.

xemumanic

Wow, now the puzzle pieces are finally coming together. :lol
I started messing around with x68000 emus in late 1998, its just an amazing system, Why the hell didn't it come to the US? It died alone in Japan, and if it weren't for emulation, how many of us would even know of the system's existence?

And the great thing is, if you know your way around DOS, its easy to figure out how to use it. Batch files and everything work. But most games didn't even require that, they booted right off disk.

camineet

Banned
I guess the system never came to the U.S. because of its expense. X68000 wasn't cheap like a PC, Mac or even the most expensive Amiga models. X68000 was concidered a workstation. the thing had custom named chips like the Amiga. it's sprite controller was called 'Cynthia'. cooler than any of the names for Amiga chips :D

The 68k was one of the most widely used processors in the late 80's early 90's.

Amiga, Ataris ST, Neo Geo, Sega Genesis, Apple Mac all used it.

Talk about old news, > 15 years old.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Tyrannical said:
The 68k was one of the most widely used processors in the late 80's early 90's.

Amiga, Ataris ST, Neo Geo, Sega Genesis, Apple Mac all used it.

Talk about old news, > 15 years old.

You are talking about Motorolla's Coldfire processor chip right? That thing was so successfull you could find it in washing machines, printers and lots of household appliances. We used it at school to mess with register and low level coding. Now I'm asking myself if the 68000 in the sharp console name as anything to do with was I (and you I think) talking about...

jman2050

The 68000 sounds like a really cool chip from what I read. Ability to perform flat 32-bit data manipulation despite being *technically* a 16-bit chip, very efficient architecture, and flxible enough to be used in a wide variety of electronic devices. Using this chip was probably the best decision Sega made regarding the Genesis. The fast CPU on the machine was able to easily make up for its lackluster PPU (which was basically just an upgraded Master System PPU) and its meh sound chip. Also of note is that the TI-8x calculators that older hobby programmers love so much were built using this same chip as well. Quite a remarkable processor, as the X68000 shows.

Top Bottom