• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was the best Capcom game to come out of the CPS-2 era?

ScOULaris

For many younger gamers the idea that Capcom was once an elite, top-tier game developer and publisher with a dominating arcade presence might sound odd. With Capcom struggling along with many other Japanese companies to match their former glory in recent years, I often find myself returning to games from their CPS-2 era of arcade releases to remind myself of how damn talented they were at the time.

1181242137107.png
Darkstalkers_gameplay.jpg

For those of you who don't know, CP System II (CPS-2) was an arcade board that Capcom used to power many of their golden-era fighting games, side-scrolling beat 'em ups, and top-down shooters. This was a time in their development history when they really started pushing the envelope in terms of pixel art animation, fluidity, and speed. They moved into the word of cartoon-style animation techniques with the release of the first Darkstalkers, and then they would continue to refine the art, animation, and gameplay with each subsequent release on the CPS-2 board.

I'm just really enamored with the work that Capcom did during this time period, and I'd like to know which game you all feel represents their pinnacle on the CPS-2 hardware.

See the link below for a list of all CPS-2 games:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP_System_II#List_of_games

I think I have to give top honors to Vampire Savior (and the Darkstalkers series in general). I think it had some of Capcom's all-time best character designs, and Vampire Savior in particular had honed its super-fast gameplay to near perfection. The Darkstalkers universe is so crammed with interesting details, characters, backgrounds, and animations, and it's a damn shame that we'll likely never get a proper reboot/sequel to the abandoned franchise.

donovan-flame.gif
sf-talbain.gif
sasquatch-punch.gif
lilith-skipfor.gif

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
I like MVC1 a lot.
A strong case could be made for Super Turbo too.
Non-fighting, I'll do with the D&D twins.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So many great games -- that's a pretty tough choice. As good as the beat-em-ups were, I don't think they're as good as stuff like Cadillacs & Dinosaurs and the Punisher... but the fighting games were Capcom's best.

I think I'll be boring and pick Vampire Savior. Every time I go back to playing that game, I like it better than before. It's just a masterpiece.

XanaviF30

Alpha 2 and 3. The Vampire series, especially Savior. And all of the Marvel games. What a time. Today's Capcom cannot match these.

There are so many games you could make a case for, but I might have the softest spot for Street Fighter Alpha 2. That might have been the height of classic Street Fighter.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
1. Vampire Savior
2. Street Fighter Alpha 2
3. MvC

I really think Vampire Savior is the peak of CPS2 design. Incredible animation, sound, etc. It's a beauty

Great question but difficult to answer! It's really difficult to pick just one. Here's my top 3:

Vampire_Savior.jpg

Vampire Savior Incredible character designs, tons of style, deep mechanics, so much charm and energy

Street_Fighter_Alpha_2.jpg

Street Fighter Alpha 2 GOAT fighting game soundtrack, super crisp action, fantastic roster, peak Street Fighter next to Third Strike

Dungeons_and_Dragons_Shadow_Over_Mystara.jpg

Dungeons and Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara GOAT beat 'em up, complete with characters that are truly unique, lots of secrets, branching paths, amazing bosses

ICO_SotC

I had Darkstalkers and Street Fighter Alpha 1,2, and 2 Gold on Sega Saturn, and they were all fantastic.

Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold is still holds up, and is still my favorite Street Fighter game.

I never got into the D&D games, but knew fellow gamers who swore by them.

The dark stalker games quickly replaced my love for all other fighting games. How I wish we were blessed with those again. Not as some e sport game, just a fun fighting game.

VariantX

I had Darkstalkers and Street Fighter Alpha 1,2, and 2 Gold on Sega Saturn, and they were all fantastic.

Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold is still holds up, and is still my favorite Street Fighter game.

I never got into the D&D games, but knew fellow gamers who swore by them.

It's probably to me, the pinnacle of everything they've done in the sidescrolling beat-em-up genre. multiple paths, rpg elements, rich combo and special move system, 4+ players, secrets out the ass. Its still the pinnacle of the genre for me as few have even attempted to match or exceed this game I don't think Dragon's Crown despite being a bigger game feels as good. It came close, but I'll buy a PS3 since I feel like I need to play it again someday soon.

Alpha 2 has always been my favorite. Most satisfying SF gameplay for me before 3rd Strike. Not as simple as original Alpha and not as over complicated imo as Alpha 3 with it's "isms". Graphically it was great too with some lovely BGs. Never was much of a Darkstalkers fan or the Marvel stuff. They looked snazzy but I never clicked with the gameplay like Alpha 2. Felt too chaotic to me.

Kinda want to play through single player as Adon right now.

Fitts

Super Street Fighter 2 (non-Turbo) has to be my favorite fighting game, so that. Second would be X-Men vs Street Fighter since I still think it's the best mashup fighter.

ScOULaris

The variety of responses so far in this thread is a testament to the quality of Capcom's work during that ten-year stretch.

Platy

It is either Pocket Fighter, the first and best Capcom vs Capcom, or Battle Circuit, the ultimate crazy beat em up

I've got to go with Alien vs. Predator. Probably one of the best action games of all time, full-stop.

Super Street Fighter II Turbo and Progear (even though it's not a Capcom game...) are also great.

Tizoc

ALL of them.
Well I can't think of any CPS2 games I didn't like or even hated TBH :p Actually I may give SF Zero 2 Alpha a thumbs down, but that's about it off the top of my head.

All these fighting game recommendations sadden me, it's like the Neo Geo effect where the average gamer could only ever think up fighting games when it comes to NG games.
Capcom had various cool games on their CPS2 system, besides the neat fighting games of course, such as
AvP, Daimahoo, Progear (not a Capcom game but it was on CPS2), Battle Circuit, Cyberbots+Valiant Armor.
Then there is Quiz Nana-iro Dream which I'm trying to remember if it was ever lcoalized :V

All ina ll though, Capcom's CPS arcade line produced some of the best Arcade titles of the late 80s and 90s. Wish they'd release compilation releases of them someday though =_=

cireza

CPS-2 is amazing and the greatest period for Capcom games. So many great games, you can't even make a list. They are all worth playing.

My personal favorite is X-Men COTA.

OmegaDL50

Gigawing and Progear were awesome.

As for fighters, I'm partial to Vampire Savior and Alpha 2.

Also tons of excellent beat'em ups from the CPS-2 era.

The D&D games, Alien Vs. Predator, Powered Gear.

I would have loved to see what a 3rd G'n'G title would have been like on the CPS2 hardware, as opposed to Ghouls and Ghosts on the CPS1.

I'm not a fighting game fan, so I would say Giga Wing. I spent many quarters playing that in the Chinatown arcade before it closed.

But then again, even as a non-fighting game fan, I like MvC, so maybe that...

Soltype

The whole CPS2 line up was incredible.They had an incredible amount of talented and driven people.I mean, look at this sprite from '94, it's bonkers.

giphy.gif

eggandI

Banned
Alpha 3
Vampire Savior
Super Turbo

Add USF4 and 3S to that list and you've got my top 5 favorite fighting games of all time :p

Top Bottom