• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Very late here, but just got a DS lite where do I start?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
this is a whole new scene to me, just got a DS lite today from my girlfriend, was wondering where do I start? Any suggestions for games? any good homebrew? How do I update? Should I update, can anyone bring me up to speed? Thanks so much.

ksamedi

I think you should start like all of us started, get Nintendogs for your girlfriend and get Mario kart DS for yourself. If you dont like racing, get EBA or FF3 or something. Lots of games to choose from really.

Ow yeah, i also reccomend Brain Training.

yayaba

There are tons of game threads around as well as a homebrew thread that was at least 4-5 pages long. Those are your best bets.

I don't know what you mean by updating as there are no firmware updates from Nintendo. There are updates you can do for homebrew though but those aren't official.

goty-2007.jpg

Jammy

Banned
If you're into puzzle games...
Puzzle Quest
Meteos
Planet Puzzle League
Tetris DS
Picross DS

If you're into RPGs...
Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
Etrian Odyssey
Final Fantasy VI: Advance

Many people also would probably recommend...
Mega Man ZX
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Elite Beat Agents
Kirby: Canvas Curse
Mario Kart 64
New Super Mario Bros.
Castlevania: PoR and DoS

Some good easy choices:

New Super Mario Bros.
Brain Age
Clubhouse Games
The New York Times Crosswords
Mario Kart DS
Elite Beat Agents

That will last you for a while. After you are done with those, go for:

SimCity DS
Brain Age 2

Michan

You lucky thing; you're about to encounter a mass of incredible gaming experiences.

I wouldn't know where to start. Probably with New Super Mario Bros., I'd guess?

bigswords

msdstc said:
this is a whole new scene to me, just got a DS lite today from my girlfriend, was wondering where do I start? Any suggestions for games? any good homebrew? How do I update? Should I update, can anyone bring me up to speed? Thanks so much.

It's not a PSP there's no official firmware, the unofficial firmware does remove the health warning screen, but I would not bother about it.

There's only one game you'll need even if you hate puzzle games, planet puzzle league, tons of modes, tons of multiplayer options and it's really fun to play.

ibu

msdstc said:

Dr Kawashima says you MUST train your Brain every day!!

Thats the first purchase without a doubt.

Also... Tetris, ,planet puzzle league NSMB and Pokemon will keep you going for a while. Yoshi Touch and Go is nice too!!

No homebrew for you... get these games and you will be fine. The DS lite needs no updates it came ready to take over from outta the box

mj1108

ksamedi said:
I think you should start like all of us started, get Nintendogs for your girlfriend and get Mario kart DS for yourself. If you dont like racing, get EBA or FF3 or something. Lots of games to choose from really.

Ow yeah, i also reccomend Brain Training.

I think he better buy his girlfriend a DS in that case otherwise he may never see it again.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
so much I'm lookin forward to it, can't wait to try some of these out, also good to know there are no official firmwares, I was a bit nervous that I was behind on some of them. anyways do I have to turn off my ds everytime I want to leave the settings menu or, the picto chat?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
sorry to bump this up, but can anyone catch me up on the DS online capabilities? hows is work, what are some good things to do? Does picto chat work over the internet? or can it only play multiplayer with another ds?

nasero

Nah picto chat doesn't work online, it's local area only. DS's for online have their own friend codes per game so you have to give them to each friend you want to play with. But most games have a option to search for other players (if you don't want to play with your friends).

No one put Trauma Center down?

Banned
Your best bet is to get an M3 Simply or an R4 to be able to play the wonderous homebrew that's available, most of all bliptracker, which is a superb drum machine / sampler / sequencer / touchpad theremin for it.

amazing!!!

Planet Puzzle League
Pokemon
Mario Kart
Phoenix Wright
Puzzle Quest
Trauma Centre
Super Mario Bros
NYT Crossword
Kirby Canvas Curse
Metroid Pinball
Castlevanias

ahhh, sick of typing... Look for the older games first, cheaper that way.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
sooo many game choices, it's a little overwhelming :), hopefully can find some cheap. Alright out of the brain games which one should I go with? There's so many of them. Also which puzzle game is the best to start with ? I'm going to get 3 games out the start ones a puzzle, ones a brain game, and the other is either NSMB, mario kart, diddy kong racing (was it really that bad), or yoshis island(once again really that bad).

edit- oh yah any top down shooters?

Jammy

Banned
msdstc said:
sorry to bump this up, but can anyone catch me up on the DS online capabilities? hows is work, what are some good things to do? Does picto chat work over the internet? or can it only play multiplayer with another ds?

PictoChat only works with other DS's through wireless up to 90 or so feet. Nintendo would have been wise to create some online form of PictoChat to go along with the release of Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, but they're still too hesitant and cautious of parents and lawsuits about children.

Some of DS's best online games include Pokemon D/P (trade and battle online with your dream team), Clubhouse Games (card games, darts, connect four, etc.), Mario Kart DS (although snakers make it tougher to win now), Metroid Prime Hunters, and more.

I'm fairly sure all DS online-compatible games come with menus in the game that enable you to check out your "Friend Code" and trade them with other people you know. Once that occurs you can game online. The downfall to this is that you get a different Friend Code for each game, not to mention that they're over ten digits mostly, not screen names. Some games do allow you to see user's names (as in Mario Kart DS), and games like Metroid Prime Hunters, Pokemon, and Planet Puzzle League all have voice chat which you can do through the Mic.

Jammy

Banned
msdstc said:
sooo many game choices, it's a little overwhelming :), hopefully can find some cheap. Alright out of the brain games which one should I go with? There's so many of them. Also which puzzle game is the best to start with ? I'm going to get 3 games out the start ones a puzzle, ones a brain game, and the other is either NSMB, mario kart, diddy kong racing (was it really that bad), or yoshis island(once again really that bad).

edit- oh yah any top down shooters?

Between the "brain" games, get either Brain Age or Big Brain Academy. The others are just third party knock-offs for the most part and aren't really good at all. For $15 to $20, you can't really go wrong with Brain Age. It's the game that started this whole "OH NOEZ!1one NON-GAMES" and it's probably more suitable for females and an older audience. Do keep in mind that the sequel, Brain Age 2, is coming out in August, so you might want to wait for that.

DS really has some great puzzle games. You really can't go wrong with either Meteos, Puzzle Quest, Tetris DS, Planet Puzzle League, or the upcoming Picross DS.

Brofist

Since most are giving you suggestions on games that are already out, here are a couple games coming out this month to look forward to.

61qGisoAyTL._AA280_.jpg
61d6eMhQhoL._AA280_.jpg

6agrjog.jpg

So you think you're hardcore... err... well, anyways, this game has amazing depth and will last you for hours and hours of immersive and punishing (yet rewarding) gameplay.

As for others which I would recommend:

- Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
- Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
- Meteos
- New Super Mario Bros.
- Trauma Center: Under the Knife

So yeah, thread De-rail [sorta] but im flying into Jersey in less than a week, 5 hour flight and i'll be there for 7 weeks and my DS will be my main gaming platform. I have Jump Super Stars, Electroplankton and Pokemon Pearl. Im thinking on Etrian Odyssey, maybe Hotel Dusk, otherwise im in a blank. No touch generations, and screw EBA on a plane. Throw me some cheep idea's gaf.

Jammy

Banned
msdstc said:
joke post?

anyways thanks for all the help so much guys. How about wii-ds connectivity, it exist yet?

Pokemon Battle Revolution and Ubi-Soft's Word game use the feature. More games will use it in the future, but right now there's really nothing. I think Nintendo's being cautious after that whole connectivity thing...

Jebus, have you tried the Phoenix Wright series? The games are a good 15 hours long and are the sort of calm, take-a-break-whenever-you-want type of game. You won't look like a fool while playing them on the plane (unless you MUST shout "OBJECTION!" into the DS Mic), either.

Captain Jebus said:
So yeah, thread De-rail [sorta] but im flying into Jersey in less than a week, 5 hour flight and i'll be there for 7 weeks and my DS will be my main gaming platform. I have Jump Super Stars, Electroplankton and Pokemon Pearl. Im thinking on Etrian Odyssey, maybe Hotel Dusk, otherwise im in a blank. No touch generations, and screw EBA on a plane. Throw me some cheep idea's gaf.
Sonic Rush is cheap as shit (I think it's less than $20 everywhere). Mega Man ZX can also be found for a good price if you look around. For the ultimate time-waster, get Meteos, but be prepared to look a bit for it. If you do find it, it shouldn't be more than $20.

SabinFigaro said:
Sonic Rush is cheap as shit (I think it's less than $20 everywhere). Mega Man ZX can also be found for a good price if you look around. For the ultimate time-waster, get Meteos, but be prepared to look a bit for it. If you do find it, it shouldn't be more than $20.
Beat ZX, and when I owned Sonic Rush I got to the fifth level and got stuck, quit then sold it. I may pick it up again, not too sure. Meteos im not too sure of since im not a big puzzle fan. I am looking at Puzzle Quest which everyone is saying is highly addictive, which would rule for me plus I like the idea of the rpg aspects.

And yeah I played the first PW, but my buddy has JFA so im not feeling inclined to buy it when i can borrow it from him when I get in Jersey. And I shamefully like screaming Objection or Hold it. :D

Gamecocks625 said:
Some good easy choices:

New Super Mario Bros.
Brain Age
Clubhouse Games
The New York Times Crosswords
Mario Kart DS
Elite Beat Agents

That will last you for a while. After you are done with those, go for:

SimCity DS
Brain Age 2

This seems like the most practical list. Big Brain Academy and Tetris would probably fit the bill, too. If you're looking for something a little less mainstream, try Daigasso Band Brothers + expansion

disc

Banned
I don't know if you had a GBA but these are excellent and can be played perfectly well on the DS.

Wario Ware Twisted
Rhythm Tengoku

Avalon

Etrian Odyssey, Final Fantasy III and Hotel Dusk. The only DS games that have been able to hold my attention. All three are exceptional (especially EO).

Nintaiyo

What's the word on Hotel Dusk? Seems like some love it, but others find it boring. I've gotten into some point and click flash games online and had fun with them.

Top Bottom