• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom DMC4, RE:U Sales Prediction

Khalid-S

capcomnu.png

During Capcom’s 2007 Fiscal Year results meeting Kazuhiko Abe, Director and Managing Corporate Officer, mentioned in his keynote speech Devil May Cry 4 is projected to sell 1.8 million copies worldwide. To put this number in perspective Capcom expects Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition to sell 420,000 copies worldwide and Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles to sell 620,000 units. Capcom is banking a lot on the success on Devil May Cry 4, it is expected to sell nearly three times as much as Umbrella Chronicles.

siliconera

lock if old.

I was just looking for this, thanks!

Famitsu says RE4: Wii at 73,535 through June 17th, selling 8,924 that week. It should be around 75k-80k by now. It is doing relatively well on the Amazon.com chart in the US and we should get actual numbers three weeks from now.

Jammy

Banned
Those RE4: Wii Edition sales are very doable. It's Japan sales will reach 100,000 easily within a month and anecdotally it's been doing quite well in the U.S. I'm pretty sure Capcom will beat their expectations with this one.

I thought 1.8 million for DMC4 was crazy, but I forgot it was for two consoles. That's also pretty doable.

Arch

RE:UC predictions seem a little high to me, RE4:Wii seems a little low. Then again, we're not sure when RE:UC is coming out, but I doubt it'll have enough time to reach that sales mark.

what would that take? like every second person with a PS3 buying DMC?

edit: nvm, the 360 will easily pick up the slack with it's amazing first month sales

DMC4 can do it if it gets some marketing in America. The 360 userbase buys games like nobody's business. Also, I'm buying 100 copies.

Zen

Banned
I think Umbrella Chronicles will end up doing a bit better worldwide, but I honestly am surprised at the projected sales of DMC4 that seems awfully low for one of their premiere franchises, though Capcom never exactly gets big sales.

Dahbomb

YYZ said:
How much did the other ones sell?

1.8 does kinda seem like a lot for hardcore action game.
All DMC's have done numbers at that level or higher. Now that a DMC is on two consoles and is shaping to be the best one yet (not only that but its arriving on consoles that are starving for good action games), there is no reason why it shouldn't do that well. The series still sells at an average of 2 million per game.

Lost Planet did close to a million on the 360 alone, it's not unexpected for DMC4 to do 1.8 million on both PS3 and 360. The series has a pretty hardcore following.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I don't see why DMC4 can reach that number on the 360/PS3 combined in all three major regions collectively.

Isn't this pretty old though?

Orlics

RiskyChris said:
DMC4 can do it if it gets some marketing in America. The 360 userbase buys games like nobody's business. Also, I'm buying 100 copies.

:lol that post was funnier than it should have been.

PkunkFury

I think RE4 will oversell that prediction, but Umbrella Chronicles may have some trouble, as there will be a lot of competition on the Wii when it launches, and it will have much less time to rack up sales. Since RE4 is budget in the states, I wouldn't be surprised if RE4 sells more in the end, but I really don't know what to make of Umbrella chronicles, yet.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Pureauthor said:
How cute. Megaman at 920K.:lol

Again, worldwide, you don't think that 3 versions of Star Force and ZX2 can't hit 920k worldwide when combined?

It probably won't hit that, but I think it's possible.

(That could include a yet-to-be-announced-until-E3 game as well.)

Defuser said:
DMC4 1.8 million? lol good luck with that capcom....

You don't think it can hit that worldwide on two systems?

Lost Planet and Dead Rising hit a million in America, no?

omg rite said:
Again, worldwide, you don't think that 3 versions of Star Force and ZX2 can't hit 920k worldwide when combined?

It probably won't hit that, but I think it's possible.

(That could include a yet-to-be-announced-until-E3 game as well.)

Star Force launched way earlier in Japan so it can't be factored in any longer. MMZ-esque games typically aren't big sellers WW either.

So, yeah, it's a long shot. Unless they get more MM games out soon.

laserbeam

Banned
Devil May Cry 1 sold around 2.8 million or so back in the day.
Devil may Cry 2 Sold around 1.7 million or so.
Devil may Cry 3 Sold around 1.6 million or so.

The franchise has sold less each consecutive game. I dont think 2 consoles will mega boost sales really either because the same hardcore crowd own either of the 2 systems.

The most interesting prediction is PS3 DMC4 sales versus 360 DMC4 sales. Even though I know it will sell better on 360, it's so wierd to think about it that way.

Epiphyte

Dahbomb said:
All DMC's have done numbers at that level or higher. Now that a DMC is on two consoles and is shaping to be the best one yet (not only that but its arriving on consoles that are starving for good action games), there is no reason why it shouldn't do that well. The series still sells at an average of 2 million per game.
Hold up one sec here, isn't DMC4 being made by the DMC2 team? We've seen some good stuff so far, but I wouldn't go and crown it the best DMC ever until we get the final reviews in.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
beermonkey@tehbias said:
The most interesting prediction is PS3 DMC4 sales versus 360 DMC4 sales. Even though I know it will sell better on 360, it's so wierd to think about it that way.
Well world wide, or just US sales? Cause Japan will clearly tip in PS3's favor with DMC4.

Sypher

Banned
Hmmmmmmm. Well, DMC4 is too high. It will probably sell 750k-850k on both platforms with the 360 having the edge in this case.

You have to wonder though, DMC is still kinda associated with the PS brand, so do you think a majority of 360 know/ care that its on their system?

Rezbit

I think DMC4 will get that, won't be quick but it will get there. RE:UC could be a bit dodgy, especially after some less-than favourable previews.

fernoca

laserbeam said:
The franchise has sold less each consecutive game. I dont think 2 consoles will mega boost sales really either because the same hardcore crowd own either of the 2 systems.

That's the thing..
Another one is that the DMC series sold that, on an userbase of "100 million" people..

The PS3 and 360 combined will be like in 16 million when the game is released....

Emiru

Banned
laserbeam said:
Devil May Cry 1 sold around 2.8 million or so back in the day.
Devil may Cry 2 Sold around 1.7 million or so.
Devil may Cry 3 Sold around 1.6 million or so.

You doubt the buying power of the 360 fans, I myself will buy 4 copies.

SuperBonk

sypher said:
Hmmmmmmm. Well, DMC4 is too high. It will probably sell 750k-850k on both platforms with the 360 having the edge in this case.

You have to wonder though, DMC is still kinda associated with the PS brand, so do you think a majority of 360 know/ care that its on their system?

Lost Planet and Dead Rising both sold over a million copies on 360 and they were completely new IPs. If DMC4 is marketed as well as those two, I really can't see it selling less on the 360.

Edit: I can't see it selling less than Lost Planet and Dead Rising, not the PS3 version.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm fairly positive DMC4 will get close to 2 million. Its a well established and popular series and its coming out on both the 360 and PS3. New IPs like Lost Planet and Dead Rising have sold over a million and they were only released on one system.

captive said:
Well world wide, or just US sales? Cause Japan will clearly tip in PS3's favor with DMC4.

But PS3 sales in Japan have been horrible...if anything tilts DMC4 sales for the PS3, it has to be Europe.

Jammy

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
But PS3 sales in Japan have been horrible...if anything tilts DMC4 sales for the PS3, it has to be Europe.

It's sales in Europe aren't much to brag about either. Checked the weekly European sales threads recently?

Defuser said:
DMC3 reach 1 million barely...and that with help from europe.

Actually according to Capcom's IR pages DMC3+DMC3:SE sold-in at 1.8 million, and what do you know, they project DMC4 to do the same. But on two consoles instead of just one. Also, majority of the large ps2 install base is very casual, repeat buys, pirate locales, while the 360 has much more of a hardcore base.

So, to estimate DMC4 to sell 1.8 million, which is what dmc3+dmc3se achieved, there are the following possibilities.

North America PS3
North America 360

Japan PS3
Japan 360

Europe PS3
Europe 360

Asia (other) PS3
Asia (other) 360

It'll hit 1.8 million easily, and with the added benefit of playable downloadable demo's, DMC sells itself.

Top Bottom