• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonderswan Color Help

callous

I just recieved a sparkly new Wonderswan Color in the mail. When I turn it on all that happens is that some seemingly random white lines appear for about half a second and then the screen goes black again. I was expecting some sort of boot up screen, so I'm now worried that it's defective. Can someone with a WSC tell me if this is normal behaviour for the unit when no game is inserted? I don't have a game to test it with yet, and I really don't want to start buying games if my unit is defective.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
bandai set them on time-release death when it was time to surrender to nintendo.

GLAD I COULD HELP

Sorry if this sounds stupid ... and i know it's not going to help you..... but WHO buys consoles and dont have a single game to play on it ??

/me confused

callous

Uh, what? How is it a big risk to buy a console without a game? I'll get a new one or my money back if it's not working. How would me buying a game make ANY difference? You're not making any sense here.

Back on topic, there must be someone here with a WSC who knows how it behaves when turned on without a game inserted.

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
Hey, also, if you can figure out how to get to the bios/config/whatever menu on your Color, let me know.

If I remember right, all you had to do was power on without a game to get to it on the B/W original, where you can change options such as making the powerup screen say things like "HELLO BRANDON <3". I would like for my Crystal to also say hello to me and imply a loving relationship, but I can't seem to decipher the process.

Other WonderSwan games I enjoy (aside from Klonoa, which honestly might be my favorite in the series [it's the most purely puzzle based]):

Engacho!
Lode Runner for Wonderswan
O-chan no Oekaki Logic (DC rules for life)
Rhyme Rider Kerorican
XI[sai]Little

etc. etc.

Soul4ger

I got all of mine from NCS as they came out. They didn't always have the games, but they did the hardware. Not sure what the status is now.

callous

brandonnn said:
Hey, also, if you can figure out how to get to the bios/config/whatever menu on your Color, let me know.

If I remember right, all you had to do was power on without a game to get to it on the B/W original, where you can change options such as making the powerup screen say things like "HELLO BRANDON <3". I would like for my Crystal to also say hello to me and imply a loving relationship, but I can't seem to decipher the process.

I see stuff about this in the manual - how I can put in my blood type and god knows what else, but I have no idea how to access it. Thanks for the game suggestions, btw.

As for Darth's question: I bought mine on ebay at about half the price they asked for it on Play Asia and Lik Sang and such. Play Asia has free shipping, though.

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
ferricide said:
you have to hold down a button whilst powering on the crystal. i forget which.

I coulda sworn I tried all of the button combos, but somehow I must have overlooked the obvious -- hold start while you press power and you'll be taken to the menu. You do have to have a game inserted, though.

I picked up my Crystal on eBay for $38, which, like, you just can't beat (on this side of the ocean, anyway).

Dicing Knight should be showing up at my doorstep any day now, and then I'll be saying Hello <3 right back at it on a regular basis.

my_wonderswan_loves_me.jpg

Being a big fan of Bandai games (Gundam especially) I feel a WSC is a must buy, plus I'd like another handheld for the hell of it. Crystal is very cheap.

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
ferricide said:
what's that? now that i have one, good games are appealing.

It's a homebrew game (a WonderWitch competition winner) that's just recently gotten super limited production and release.

From what I can tell, it's a randomized-dungeon Zelda clone, only attacks and heals and whatnot are accompanied by a dice throw that determines their strength and potency (hence the name).

dk_sc5.GIF
dk_sc1.GIF

dk_sc8.gif
r030531.GIF

http://www20.cds.ne.jp/~murasame/source/diesingnight.htm has a nice 10 meg preview movie -- scroll down just a tad.

Play-Asia reported that all of the in-game text was in English, so importers might normally rejoice... but the downfall is that P-A is charging a mint due to the limited run ($69.90 for a 4,200yen game). I got mine a little cheaper by pre-ordering several months ago, but I'd do your damndest to exploit your friends-in-Japan connections before getting the game through them.

Top Bottom