• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PC build. Rate, opinions and help wanted.

Rate my Gaming PC

• Total voters

Outlier

I've build my second PC. TLDR: Powerful PC, some minor kinks, temporary part(s) to be replaced.

Here's the parts:

Motherboard - MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI
CPU - Ryzen 7900X
CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 chromax.Black, Dual-Tower
Memory RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 64GB (2x32GB) 6000MT/s
Storage - 2T Seagate SSD (m.2)(temporary) and my 2020 pc Samsung 1T SSDs (temp)
Operating System - Windows 11 (Core)
GPU - AMD 7900XTX (Starfield Bundle)
PSU - Corsair RM850e (2023) Fully Modular Low-Noise ATX Power Supply - ATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 Compliant - 105°C-Rated Capacitors - 80 Plus Gold Efficiency
Case - Corsair 5000D Airflow Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX PC Case - Black
Using old mouse and keyboard, so no needless purchase.

I did the initial build, flashed the bios, but couldn't install windows (unknown reason). I took it to a 3rd party shop (helped with my first PC) which determined the initial SSD (MSI SPATIUM M570 PCIe 5.0 NVMe M.2 2TB HS Internal SSD PCIe Gen5 NVMe) was defective and used their ($99) Seagate SSD (m.2)for initial installation (will replace). However... problems arose when I used the PC at home.

1. Experienced massive slow down (1.5 FPS in BG3 title screen) NOT ONLY in games, but in the desktop, also.
  2. Took back to shop and turns out I need to tell windows 11 to use the actual GPU and NOT the APU/CPU for rendering. Assumed it was the fault of Windows default settings. I was partially correct. Tested at the shop and everything seemed fine.
  3. Took back to shop for the 3rd TIME, due to screen freezing when changing graphical/display settings in games. Will contact and retrieve the PC when they next open, because... It may have just been USER ERROR!!!

I got bored couple hours ago and plugged up my older PC and noticed nothing was displaying, so I looked at the back and realized... I plugged the HDMI into the motherboard instead of the GPU.
NOW I know why the rendering was messed up on the new PC. A simple oversight cost me a couple days of confusion and frustration, just because I connected the HDMI into the wrong port. At least I assume this is the remaining issues.
Now I must wait till Monday to go get my new toy. Sigh...
Frustrated Parks And Recreation GIF

QUESTIONS:

1. It seems the Starfield game voucher from AMD doesn't work, as Steam claims it is invalid. I did a bit of research and not sure how to solve this other than contacting AMD for a valid code. Otherwise, any suggestions? Solution may be found.

2. Can I transfer all my old SSD (m.2) data (windows 10) into new SSD (windows 11) without issue? (I already installed one of the old SSDs and could load up steam games (without conflict), but just want to make sure I'm not setting myself up for more trouble.)

Conclusion: I'm excited to get this thing home and experiencing High-End gaming. I already have a few games I've been wanting to max out for years, to see what they can really offer, but man if this whole process wasn't a headache.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Outlier

Don't you have to redeem the AMD voucher on their own website first in exchange for a Steam key? It's been a long time, not sure.
I will check. It seems to make sense as they would need to verify my purchase of the product, before giving a key. But again not sure.

EDIT: Just checked and yes it seems I will need to verify it on AMDs site first. Now I just need my PC back to try it . XD

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Question 2:
Can you not just clone C: onto D: then reassign D as C and carry on? I would have thought that'd do it

Outlier

Question 2:
Can you not just clone C: onto D: then reassign D as C and carry on? I would have thought that'd do it
I don't know. I'm assuming I can just copy everything from the old SSDs to the new one. I just want to make sure it won't break something. Don't want to have to download everything again. lol

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Would get Intel. Ryzen is just ass. I am tired of its issues. Or at least 3d cpu.
32gb of ram is more than enough. 64 is a waste.
Radeon sucks ass. Get a 4080. Dlss is much better. Dlss3 is great, rt runs better.
Case sucks. Get phanteks or fractal.

Outlier

Would get Intel. Ryzen is just ass. I am tired of its issues. Or at least 3d cpu.
Radeon sucks ass. Get a 4080. Dlss is much better. Dlss3 is great, rt runs better.
I'm sticking with Ryzen non 3d and Radeon will do what I need. Not trying to get the best.

Case however is a bit ass for the cable management, at least. Thought about getting a different one. But I just need it to keep the hot air out. Nothing fancy.

Bojji

I don't know about 7xxx series but I don't have any issues on 5800x3d. CPU is just CPU, Intel or AMD will do the same stuff in general.

Now for GPU, dlss 2,3 (and 3.5 around the corner) makes the big difference, that's why I'm sticking with Nvidia despite Radeon cards having better value.

Buggy Loop

wElcOme to TEam ReD!

Missed opportunity on 3D Vcache. Why buy parts so far ahead? I doubt you scored a deal on the 7900X

Probably too big of a cpu cooler

Too much ram. By the time we need 64GB DDR6 or even DDR7 will be there

To me it looks like you had more money than sense with the build.

I wouldn’t have picked 7900XTX, ray reconstruction just showcases how ahead Nvidia is in ML and never in 20 or so years of same API rendered that we’ll see such a difference in the graphic pipeline. And DLSS quality and frame gen..

Outlier

wElcOme to TEam ReD!

Missed opportunity on 3D Vcache. Why buy parts so far ahead? I doubt you scored a deal on the 7900X

Probably too big of a cpu cooler

Too much ram. By the time we need 64GB DDR6 or even DDR7 will be there

To me it looks like you had more money than sense with the build.

I wouldn’t have picked 7900XTX, ray reconstruction just showcases how ahead Nvidia is in ML and never in 20 or so years of same API rendered that we’ll see such a difference in the graphic pipeline. And DLSS quality and frame gen..
My 2020 PC is all AMD, too.
I was planning to build my new PC last year, but supply and pricing of certain parts made me decide to wait.
CPU cooler is GIGANTIC! Bigger than I expected, but it fits perfectly in the case and as long as it stays quiet, I'll be happy.
The ram is just in case I play something like Flight Simulator, down the line.
Yes. I would say I have more money than sense, but it's rare I do something like this. My 2020 build is far more sensible, but I was purposely targeting mid-range specs, at the time.
I know the 7900XTX isn't the best option, especially with RTX 5000 coming in a few months, but Nvidias pricing tendencies have me fearing spenders remorse. I may be wrong.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Double team red?
And a 7900X mated to a B650 board no less.
Dont know whether to be impressed or concerned.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Really should have gone for 3DVcache on the CPU. And frankly with that much money you don't have much reason to go Radeon unless you're using Linux which you're clearly not. 7900xtx will still offer you performance for years, though

Great computer, I hope you enjoy it

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
We need another option for some of us who are not proficient in PC gaming. Like this:
Good Burger Reading GIF

Honestly no idea if your PC is good or not. As long as it play the game that you absolutely want to play, like FTL, one of the greatest PC games of all time, it should be good enough.
I got gifted a PC recently and I don't know if it is good but it should be a little worse than yours. So be happy and use it well!

Outlier

Pics or it doesn't exist.
Really? All you'll see is black on black on black and a single white LED on the video card and the little green or orange light on the motherboard. lol I'll see about uploading a pic when I get it back.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Really? All you'll see is black on black on black and a single white LED on the video card and the little green or orange light on the motherboard. lol I'll see about uploading a pic when I get it back.
I'm pretty sure he's just shitposting.
but pics would be nice

Bernoulli

M2 slut
For SSDs no point getting gen 5 or the fastest, just get a Gen4 with 5 years warranty from WD, crucial or samung

the GPU you probably connected the monitor the motherboard instead of the GPU, update your bios, drivers and everything should be ok

look if you fitted the fans in the good direction for the best airflow, intake in front exaust at the back

Shifty1897

Some things are a little overkill, compared to the rest of your build, like 64 GB of RAM, but at least you won't have to worry about upgrading it. Overall, a perfectly fine AMD Build.

I know the 7900XTX isn't the best option, especially with RTX 5000 coming in a few months, but Nvidias pricing tendencies have me fearing spenders remorse. I may be wrong.
7900XTX is a perfectly fine choice. RTX 5000 series isn’t supposed to be out until 2025 so I don’t know where you got that info.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Its a great card and the 5000 series isn't coming for awhile

I think your build is great and I even love the case you picked

You're build including the case, is super close to my Corsair prebuilt except having a 4090 over the 7900xtx but my wife's PC is a 7900xtx and honestly I am very impressed with that card

I think you did great now enjoy high end pc gaming

Outlier

7900XTX is a perfectly fine choice. RTX 5000 series isn’t supposed to be out until 2025 so I don’t know where you got that info.
To me a "few" usually means around 5, which would be around the speculated release window, but yeah I don't want to wait that long. hehe.

PaintTinJr

I've build my second PC. TLDR: Powerful PC, some minor kinks, temporary part(s) to be replaced.

Here's the parts:

CPU - Ryzen 7900X
Memory RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 64GB (2x32GB) 6000MT/s
PSU - Corsair RM850e (2023) Fully Modular Low-Noise ATX Power Supply - ATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 Compliant - 105°C-Rated Capacitors - 80 Plus Gold Efficiency

I did the initial build, flashed the bios, but couldn't install windows (unknown reason). I took it to a 3rd party shop (helped with my first PC) which determined the initial SSD (MSI SPATIUM M570 PCIe 5.0 NVMe M.2 2TB HS Internal SSD PCIe Gen5 NVMe) was defective and used their ($99) Seagate SSD (m.2)for initial installation (will replace). However... problems arose when I used the PC at home.

1. Experienced massive slow down (1.5 FPS in BG3 title screen) NOT ONLY in games, but in the desktop, also.
  2. Took back to shop and turns out I need to tell windows 11 to use the actual GPU and NOT the APU/CPU for rendering. Assumed it was the fault of Windows default settings. I was partially correct. Tested at the shop and everything seemed fine.
  3. Took back to shop for the 3rd TIME, due to screen freezing when changing graphical/display settings in games. Will contact and retrieve the PC when they next open, because... It may have just been USER ERROR!!!

I got bored couple hours ago and plugged up my older PC and noticed nothing was displaying, so I looked at the back and realized... I plugged the HDMI into the motherboard instead of the GPU.
NOW I know why the rendering was messed up on the new PC. A simple oversight cost me a couple days of confusion and frustration, just because I connected the HDMI into the wrong port. At least I assume this is the remaining issues.

QUESTIONS:

1. It seems the Starfield game voucher from AMD doesn't work, as Steam claims it is invalid. I did a bit of research and not sure how to solve this other than contacting AMD for a valid code. Otherwise, any suggestions? Solution may be found.

2. Can I transfer all my old SSD (m.2) data (windows 10) into new SSD (windows 11) without issue? (I already installed one of the old SSDs and could load up steam games (without conflict), but just want to make sure I'm not setting myself up for more trouble.)

Conclusion: I'm excited to get this thing home and experiencing High-End gaming. I already have a few games I've been wanting to max out for years, to see what they can really offer, but man if this whole process wasn't a headache.

What are your thoughts?
The motherboard chipset seems to be a weakest link (having taken a look at the manual for it) because it only supports PCIe Gen 4. So even with manually bifuricating to supply a full Gen 4 PCIe x16 to an M2. nvme socket manually configured in the bios/UEFI, there's still the possibility the Gen 5 drive will only work in a Gen 5 capable socket on a Gen 5 capable mobo like the MSI MAG x670E boards.

I would also say that Windows Core is a terrible option when 11 Pro is far more feature rich and gets a better and earlier cadence of software updates, and better support because it is the mainstay of most computers using Windows in the world - in business.. I had to troubleshoot a forgotten local password for family on a surface table running 11 home edition recently and ended up in a circular loop with a Microsoft account, with risk of losing access without using linux to bypass. Complete rubbish without the standard NT administrative tools to just clear the local password.

The CPU looks very good with a high 4.5GHz base clock, so games that depend on higher clocks in muticore and when falling back to lower core counts should hold up great. And despite the general bias toward Nvidia gpus from most of us, that GPU looks pretty amazing when working as intended IMO and depending on your game choices and penchant to not rely on upscaling/frame gen is probably the best GPU around in many situations IMO.

Unlike most others, I think 64GBs for such a system is sensible. I still work on the basis you need 16GBs for Windows itself and add on the VRAM to shadow in RAM - avoid stuttering caused by VRAM data demands that are not being staged in RAM. I also think the inevitable 64GBs of the future make it better to buy a matched pair now.

SHA

Here's the parts:

CPU - Ryzen 7900X

QUESTIONS:

What are your thoughts?
Your body seems wasn't ready for the new gpu, it's a good sign actually, you'll get the most out of it.

SHA

Here's the parts:

CPU - Ryzen 7900X

QUESTIONS:

What are your thoughts?
Just because they worked doesn't mean it's right.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
4080 over 7900xtx any day. DLSS and the superior ray tracing are too important to a quality next gen experience. Cyberpunk Overdrive is essentially unplayable on an XTX and as we see more path traced games you're gonna feel that gulf.

Topher

Gold Member

What "issues" with Ryzen? And why does that case suck? Just because it isn't phantoms or fractal?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
What "issues" with Ryzen? And why does that case suck? Just because it isn't phantoms or fractal?
The case is actually very good

My biggest complaint could be it would be nice to have room on top for a 360 mm rad but mine is still whisper quiet with only a 240 mm rad on a 7900X

I have been pushing Starfield, Flight Sim, RDR2 you name it and it doesn't make a sound TRYING to push games to 240hz in ultrawide

Outlier

Ok. PC is all done and up and running. Was a slight pain in a the butt to get some kinks out. Shops supplied Seagate SSD (windows 11) died on me, so luckily I just simply installed my old PCs SSDs (windows 10) and they work perfectly. Had to download a bunch of updates and drivers to get proper functions back in. Also installed a WD_BLACK 4TB Gen4 SSD and am copying my game files into it, from the old SSDs.
I also get that Starfield Voucher Redeemed and is ready to play (later). I said I'd wait about a year before considering getting it, but hey... "free" game is good for me! ^_^

Here are pics. Nothing fancy. It's under my table, so I won't see it much. Don't want the light show. :p

Only remaining quirk is that it takes about 30 seconds to start up. Any ideas why? I know I can just look it up. :)

AIL4fc_T-R3NLaTnBrdXxfd7d6htw_nUuPJO3r8e8PWRadxyGPRQFGDh_3NPYjXKkwKoh-7R7uuH6lLsPmlRh-BJiGKujWvTAci8NF34lgKHPpU3ozOj1HOgBzNboj7_XoYbBvDWf4RZ7YxKp9K2XGNu0DUSIroZps8PTqFeLi4llCJ9LrAZUs6uCF1X1Z8AY5q1s2mFiCRI_AGdyCBlnspz3aCBOpMAlZLG3dq9nOiQ2Fl7Hq44aYOMw1_FhL-6wMXCmnqML2-1SAeqdlIsBaatEJv6ObYysyatzSmIQQDWfJifaqNMKZJ7rgAoN8VD4cjlR-eVGX1yFuzPrZ_jgXJbl0ghn_fqlYMMFqgqZgilE3GBzJ7HXz_FfNqSStcSzIBwWkZQACS9P1YFAeKlplzbq-uybPD_y4CIPjJCMXirF5adTL3_5bz7sMD-CavrNLW4X54jgweX5IlSRA5fHJoFl1NBrHLvFxm4vBxdOnXiDaSuBmD0IBq9dRPsRlHIiOAWrPQJiDp-WANP8k6zK9o6jsBOmunWepe5SUJ0f04A_Ed8WPn96hJXRMGcw_mpCn7GBKqf05LfCiexkJN5scxeBBaBbmJ60kOYC7VlEV0zib6r3MrBItJo8nvNJFeMR0tNhoFekSML2ph4w1FOL81loUzYgkFqNTXVaVHnphoPkaQZV9LsoWmz1Japianf2Smr_1C3qEbjq7DElfWpwlYbOI-xoA5340falJBgUQLnINMQzTPhF6CGUnKRYu3kfpicymJX3Ai25dB9TEDNE3jK_fi4BOsAcAKyml3AkFcwpPa0fcjF0LXQqtOVETUc4SeOpjiVPjLSsTFRze3g2CI1_nX6Gbt18Qv04cmvIaYWhMYz2d4EexG7EbaZlAHSGWFrUj8z2Jt0iVp4dpJbtWvBVWmyhGa-Tiubc_Tbs6r9YX5dNVBKqbIv-JraZipf3fg=w960-h540-s-no

AIL4fc9mia8c81_sF5qgbAiel_YT4nSDnrBVyU48jougBwLkqAPoiFoGqk1Y0p8FJYsUv6fsC3E3jzaEQoy1t2lLRCcI_VXvI5exUs2BP7P6yehCybutawOorJ9LVLL3SQK9UPiwDfTbn9Hau0O0AlT7_y1V2v807nhwXW8saKldq9YkPjN3glBPA19oOGcsoSADF0hQ5F1cT_z5_VU9TZ5Iws09c1ZJZqYReCO2t4Tr0TDLFyxo4AHGhDl5mEu4rS7mq5EkvzSIMotfy_AdrHcz2_PEe27crA4wZoZurMtHidLaoMJWLgtM4joN7WC29q3yGY1XI6oTeyNhshwkqfgZ8vvhV8dKl9hn_0KGvCI6xQt5C1k59H5Z1g25M6sA2PC3XMLEvf0IOIL68LY5dJc6iI_G0nxL-QPZ3DjOSMJn-Z3pybAU1kDVtMhcLsfzRayGvu47TxbMjlXcyoIUcEC6HvSSkJrKoKlurrPZk7aQ86xYSM-AftbYhRR4xeSJPFizLgu0OfuqIfJrnHnh75oopb1yNjWwupyT-D2hPp4Q7jDvmzjs5J0Bz5B_4X98d-MLAqp8RIeiYoD8R0ZMMxZ-ozgQkP-9syz03lEJnh3XdzCIYIB700EYcozSn1LBKGxsWyaMuJEIK1R5IxkiQp39dsT799bwRNThpkfWZ-MDVCqux8ROZKjQtEp6j-bNlaprRgHnY4cDM4NPBx8mDTuhVbNrCgMTAjdy13iNnveWKaqQ8KouV9bSD-MFJ3c5-SWzX9HJehMzL4DUMaT0XDksUqSHJIDa3_yZ5YQUcbAabK08hBGiRusjk7PXYvv9MlCarqnsAuMuipvhYMvIZ7_9SfdrLPUeJB7vCdB-MYwd0N2KNrwuLbXavceko0meLyFzyf4SGqiitPdhwBUs-5IGQ8-U-EPRd7X6M4PoBjMuLXi1iTCFH8t-PPJ2D7s-mTU=w541-h962-s-no

Anyway. Thanks for all the comments, help, and well wishes. Happy gaming!

Oh I bought the CPU when it released, last year. I only just these past 2 weeks ordered the rest of the parts.
Horrible strat which basically makes you overpay for old parts.

Also people in here recommending the 4080 lmao. Bang for the buck is terrible. Might as well get the 4090.

Last edited:
Top Bottom