• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another "I want to build a new gaming PC" thread.

The Stig

Hi all, would like some advice.

My gaming PC is aging (built in like 2017) and I want to gut it and rebuild as my mobo is too old to support new stuff (FYI I have an i5 6600k @4.4ghz).

I already have a nice case:

In terms of storage I am fine, I have multiple SSDs and HDDs.
I'm also good for now on GPU (RTX 3070 12gb that is very much being bottlenecked by my CPU/mobo).

I'd like a recommendation for a good gaming mobo, CPU/cooler and RAM. While I game in 1080 right now I may look to upgrade in the future.

m/kb are already sorted.

Also, can I still get windows 10 pro? also cheap?

edit - FYI in terms of knowledge, I've built many machines over the years (mainly for work, though not for a couple years) and I work in IT.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

AM5 Based mobo and CPU as not only is it the best for gaming but its the most future upgrades friendly.

7800X3D
Asrock Steel Legend X670E is what I have and recommend.

I went from a 6600K to a 7800X3D. It's the best gaming CPU around and can compete with the newest i9 from intel in nearly all games. It's also cheap and has lots of deals lately.

I got a B650E board and not X670E. Bit cheaper and I don't need all the extra connectivity.

You might even be able to reuse your cooler if it's decent and has AM5 support. The 7800X3D is very efficient.

For RAM get something like 6000 MT/s CL30. Just make sure it's on the QVL of the motherboard supplier because memory support is a bit finicky on AM5.

This is my build:

But you can replace the cooler with a cheaper one like the Peerless Assassin 120 SE.

Last edited:

MikeM

I went:

- 7600x
- MSI B650 Tomahawk Wifi
- XPG 6000mhz cl30 32gb DDR5 RAM
- Deepcool AK620 cooler

My 7900xt GPU is basically always at 100% usage at all times. If you have more money, go 7800x3d although not sure if you’ll see a benefit with a 3070.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I'm also good for now on GPU (RTX 3070 12gb that is very much being bottlenecked by my CPU/mobo).
Wait, that's a thing? Is that an OEM model? Otherwise, I assume it's a typo and you meant RTX 3060 12GB, in which case, I wouldn't bother updating my CPU for a lower mid-range GPU.

You could probably squeeze out some more performance since that CPU is very old but dropping $800 on a system centered around an RTX 3060 doesn't sound like such a great idea.

Also, can I still get windows 10 pro? also cheap?

Yes. For like $25 if you absolutely need to activate it. Otherwise, don't bother with the activation and you'll still get 90% of the features and that annoying watermark. Or just use Remove WAT (or was that for Windows 7? Haven't used that thing in like a decade).

Last edited:

The Stig

I went from a 6600K to a 7800X3D. It's the best gaming CPU around and can compete with the newest i9 from intel in nearly all games. It's also cheap and has lots of deals lately.

I got a B650E board and not X670E. Bit cheaper and I don't need all the extra connectivity.

You might even be able to reuse your cooler if it's decent and has AM5 support. The 7800X3D is very efficient.

For RAM get something like 6000 MT/s CL30. Just make sure it's on the QVL of the motherboard supplier because memory support is a bit finicky on AM5.

This is my build:

But you can replace the cooler with a cheaper one like the Peerless Assassin 120 SE.
nice! thanks for the info!
will my cooler work? I just found my old order at newegg:

twilo99

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I concur with everyone saying to get the 7800X3D. There is no good reason to go with Intel right now unless you can get a mega cheap 13600K mobo/CPU/DDR5 deal for around $350.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
i plan t upgrade to something in the 40x series later in the coming year
Have a specific GPU in mind? My answer would differ between a 4060 and a 4090 for example. Also, it's a 3060 that you have, correct? Not a 3070 12GB?

The 7800X3D is the best gaming CPU at the moment, but to take advantage of it, it's better to go for a high-end GPU as well.

You also mentioned that you're gaming in 1080p but might upgrade in the future. What's your refresh rate? 60Hz? 120Hz? 300Hz?

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So you just need new mobo and cpu. Not thread worthy. There is a topic for this stuff.
And that fractal is still a very nice case but too hot for modern CPUs. You might need to optimize it's airflow and add fans. It's really a hotbox

Doesn't look like CM makes AM5 mounting brackets for that 212 model. The peerless assassin I mentioned is only 35 bucks anyway and will work much better.

Last edited:

SScorpio

Do you have access to a Microcenter? They have a 7800X3D, MB, and 32GB of DDR5 bundle for $500. It's not the best RAM as it's DDR5 6000 36CAS. But the CPU and MB are $570 by themselves.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...ies-32gb-ddr5-6000-kit,-computer-build-bundle

But IMO, a 7800X3D is overkill for a 1080P build. You could get the same MB and RAM with a 7700X and save $100.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...ries-32gb-ddr5-6000-kit,-computer-build-combo

Either CPU isn't really a power hog, so a simple cooler like a BeCool AK400 that goes for around $30 is more than enough.

We're ~4.5 years from the expected launch of the PS6 and next Xbox. So if you stick with using your build for six years those 4.5 years should be no issue running games as the PS5/XSX are Zen 2 3.6GHz CPUs that games will be supporting. And you'll have 1.5 years into the new console launch which will likely be cross gen so you can still play just fine.

Wait, that's a thing? Is that an OEM model? Otherwise, I assume it's a typo and you meant RTX 3060 12GB, in which case, I wouldn't bother updating my CPU for a lower mid-range GPU.

You could probably squeeze out some more performance since that CPU is very old but dropping $800 on a system centered around an RTX 3060 doesn't sound like such a great idea.

Yes. For like $25 if you absolutely need to activate it. Otherwise, don't bother with the activation and you'll still get 90% of the features and that annoying watermark. Or just use Remove WAT (or was that for Windows 7? Haven't used that thing in like a decade).
$25?!

You can get Windows keys for like $2 some places.

The Stig

This is my build:

OK, im going with the peerless assassin.

for mobo im going with x670e pro RS ( i have two daughter boards for drives).
for CPU im going for the 7800X3d
and im getting the RAM you suggested on PC part picker also.

all from newegg because i have several hundred in gift cards to spend there.

also where do i buy windows these days?

hinch7

Honestly no. The 7800X3D gets very hot due to its design; with its stacked cache despite its low TDP and will throttle with a lower end cooler on high loads. And I'm not sure if you can mount it without buying a new bracket. I'd recommend Thermalright's Phantom Spirit, for $37 including shipping. Its arguably the best air cooler on the market and not just for the money. Fairly quiet too for a dual tower.

Last edited:

The Stig

Honestly no. The 7800X3D gets very hot due to its design; with its stacked cache despite its low TDP and will throttle with a lower end cooler on high loads. And I'm not sure if you can mount it without buying a new bracket. I'd recommend Thermalright's Phantom Spirit, for $37 including shipping. Its arguably the best air cooler on the market and not just for the money. Fairly quiet too for a dual tower.
right.

is this cooler better than
?

The Stig

Yeah its gets slightly better thermals with its 7 heatpipes vs 6 on the Peerless Assassin. And comes with better and quieter V2 versions for its fans. For a couple bucks or not even that, its a no brainer.

ok ordering that instead

ok, so i can get these parts before new year's and can build it on the weekend. does anybody overly object to my plans?

The Stig

btw what is this? it looks like a removable handle
wtf.jpg

M1987

I have the Phantom Spirit and it's incredible

The Stig

So you just need new mobo and cpu. Not thread worthy. There is a topic for this stuff.
And that fractal is still a very nice case but too hot for modern CPUs. You might need to optimize it's airflow and add fans. It's really a hotbox
I have added ALL the fans

3 at the front, 2 at the back and 1 on each side. although i could add a radiator on the top.

edit: when im playing RDR2 the CPU doesnt even hit 60C. this case is coooool

Last edited:

The Stig

parts are on their way. what is a good site to buy a windows 10 pro key? I assume my old one wont work twice

edit: nevermind. my current license is retail. i should be able to use it

Last edited:

nikos

Oh, budget is $700-$1000 USD

thats:

mobo
CPU/cooler
RAM

everything else I am set for now.

AMD 7800X3D
Asus B650E-F
EK Nucleus CR360
G.Skill F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR or non-rgb model if you don't care for it.

EDIT: Looks like I'm late. I'd have gone with an AIO and sacrificed the X670 for a B650E if it went over budget, unless the X670 has something you absolutely need.

Last edited:

The Stig

AMD 7800X3D
Asus B650E-F
EK Nucleus CR360
G.Skill F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR or non-rgb model if you don't care for it.

EDIT: Looks like I'm late. I'd have gone with an AIO and sacrificed the X670 for a B650E if it went over budget, unless the X670 has something you absolutely need.
i actually went with the x670 pro rs because it has extra expansion card slots. (ive got like 12 drives).

but thanks for the reply. happy with how it all worked out.

Cyborg

I wanted to build my first PC (for my son) I have zero experience in that regard and need some advice (I will let someone build it) I want something futureproof so he can upgrade easily.

• CPU: 7800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread Desktop Processor
  • GPU: RTX 4080 SUPER or RTX 4070 Ti SUPER (is there specific brand to look for?)
  • Cooler CPU: DeepCool AK620 Zero Dark CPU Air Cooler
  • Motherboard: GIGABYTE B650 AORUS Elite AX AMD B650 ATX Motherboard (zero idea if this is good)
  • G.SKILL Flare X5 Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MT/s
  • Cooler Master MWE Gold 850 V2 Full Modular, 850W 80 Plus GOLD Power Supply
  • SSD: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
  • Case: Thermaltake Ceres 300 Mid Tower E-ATX Computer Case (zero idea what to look for)

Do you think this is any good? Any recommendations or things I have missed?

MikeM

I wanted to build my first PC (for my son) I have zero experience in that regard and need some advice (I will let someone build it) I want something futureproof so he can upgrade easily.

• GPU: RTX 4080 SUPER or RTX 4070 Ti SUPER (is there specific brand to look for?)
  • Motherboard: GIGABYTE B650 AORUS Elite AX AMD B650 ATX Motherboard (zero idea if this is good)
  • Case: Thermaltake Ceres 300 Mid Tower E-ATX Computer Case (zero idea what to look for)

Not bad at all. Seems like you did some research.

GPU: if you can grab a Founder’s Edition (i.e. built by Nvidia) that seems to be the best bang for buck.

PSU: Tier B which is solid.

Cooler: I have the same one running a 7600x. Works great and I used the thermal paste that came with it.

Can’t comment on Gigabyte mobo but I run an MSI B650 Tomahawk Wifi with XPG 32GB CL30 RAM without issue. Just make sure the RAM you have picked out plays nice with the Mobo.

Last edited:

Codeblew

I have that "GIGABYTE B650 AORUS Elite AX" motherboard for my 7700X and I have had no issues.

Not entirely sure if that fits your budget, but I think right now the 7800X3D is a no brainer. Don't waste money on these expensive "gamer" branded mobos, a basic B650 board from Asus, MSI or Gigabyte will do. Pair that with 32GB of RAM if it's in your budget (if not, you can upgrade easily later on), whatever brand is compatible with your board (look up the support page from the manufacturers website) and has good prices. That CPU alone will last you for a long time.

Edit: I can personally recommend the Noctua U12A for cooling, but that's probably not gonna fit your budget.

Last edited:

Fredrik

That’s super similar to my new PC
x060XAH.jpeg
I have the same CPU, graphics card, SSD. Thermaltake case too but The Tower 300. Seems like a good combo, zero issues and great performance. Went with a MSI Gaming X Slim graphics card, don’t know what’s slim about it, it’s huge, no coil whine anyhow.

Cyborg

That’s super similar to my new PC
x060XAH.jpeg
I have the same CPU, graphics card, SSD. Thermaltake case too but The Tower 300. Seems like a good combo, zero issues and great performance. Went with a MSI Gaming X Slim graphics card, don’t know what’s slim about it, it’s huge, no coil whine anyhow.
Nice do you have the 2070 TI or 2080 Super?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

Devoted PC builders are in that thread with alot less fanboyism cuz everyone just want to see new PC builds at bang for buck prices.

Top Bottom