• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2024. 240 Hz OLEDs, PCI-Gen5, Path Tracing & Ray Reconstruction.

Leonidas

smWF6lP.png

bk4q3MC.png

64X6szi.png

Complete Build Guide for beginners

HuzBfIj.png

CPUs
Best Gaming Performance

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D (fastest gaming CPU on average, most efficient in gaming)
Intel Core i9 14900K (fastest in certain games)

Midrange
Intel Core i5 13600K
AMD Ryzen 7600X

Intel 12th-14th Gen and Ryzen 7000 both offer great gaming performance. For gaming performance 7800X3D > 13th/14th Gen > Zen4/12th Gen. But whether you'll be able to make use of the extra performance will depend on various factors, namely resolution. At 1440p and higher the difference between 14900K and 7800X3D is less than 2% with an RTX 4090 (and even less than that with weaker cards). You'll also need to check benchmarks for the game you play; the 7800X3D is the fastet gaming CPU on the market today, but it loses in some games. Intel 12-14th Gen offers better productivity performance in the midrange thanks to the E-cores. Zen4 wins in efficiency under loaded scenarios, though Intel 12th-14th Gen can be more efficient at idle/light loads. Nothing comes close to 7800X3D in gaming efficiency though.

Value:
Intel Core i5 12600K
Ryzen 5 5600

Intel Core i5 12600K is really cheap right now, less than $200 USD. Seems like a good choice for that amount of money. For AM4 users, if you are using Zen1-Zen2, it might make sense to pick up a Ryzen 5 5600 as it will provide a nice performance bump and not cost a lot, could save a bit more going used... AM4 also offers Zen3 3D V-Cache CPUs which perform almost as well as Zen4.

Emulation: 12th-14th Gen and Zen4-Zen4 3D (Ryzen 7000) offer similarly high performance in RPCS3, an emulator for playing PS3 games at higher FPS and resolution on PC according to this RPCS3 tier list.

GPUS
***RTX 40-series Super cards launch imminent, might be a good idea to wait a week to see how prices turn out before buying a GPU***

Ultra High End

RTX 4090 (fastest raster, fastest RT)
RX 7900 XTX (good raster for the price)

Over a year the RTX 4090 is still the fastest GPU on the market. RTX 4090 will remain the fastest GPU for some time longer and has the best upscaling and RT capabilities. RTX 40-series refresh will bring some new choices to the high end market early this year. RX 7900 XTX is a great card if you care more about raster performance and aren't interested as much in upscaling technology. 7900 XT can also be a good price if on sale, if you can make use of the extra RAM.

7900 XTX could make sense if you care more about raster performance per dollar and don't care as much about upscaling or path tracing.

Midrange
RTX 4070
RX 7800 XT

In the mid-range the RTX 4070 and RX 7800 XT are both good choices. 4070 is better in upscaling, efficiancy and RT but the 7800 XT has 33% more VRAM and is slightly faster in raster. These cards are very well suited for 1440p at high refresh rates.

***RTX 40-series Super cards launch imminent, might be a good idea to wait a week to see how prices turn out before buying a GPU***

Entry Level

RTX 4060
RX 6600/7600
Intel Arc A750

Depending on the deals going on any of these cards can make sense at the entry level. These cards are great for 1080p and can even do well at 1440p within reason.

RAM
32 GB DDR4 / 32 GB DDR5
Value: 16 GB DDR4 / 16 GB DDR5

DDR5 pricing has come down a lot in the past year, and is now the better option these days. I'd only recommend a DDR4 system maybe for those on a tight budget or those who already have a good kit of DDR4 that they want to keep using.

SSDs
PCIe 4.0x4 NVMe SSD
Value: PCIe 3.0x4 NVMe SSD, SATA SSD

SSD pricing now is excellent for PCIe4 drives. PCIe5 drives come at a premium, but that's the price you pay for being on the cutting edge.

PSUs
High end graphics cards require more power these days with high end cards now being capable of drawing over 500 watts for overclocked models. So if you're building a system and want the fastest GPU you will need a big PSU. If you stick to mid-range GPUs like RTX 4070 and RX 7800 XT you can get away with a much smaller capacity PSU.

Cases
The most important things for me when it comes to cases is having good airflow and good aesthetics. Choose one that has all the features you want and it can last you for numerous builds.

Monitors
4K120 (or higher refresh)
Value: 1440p144 (or higher refresh)

One of the benefits of PC gaming is the ability to play many games at high refresh. Going to a high refresh monitor could be the best upgrade you can make to your setup if you are still on a 60 hz display. With current gen GPUs many of your old games can be transformed with smoothness.

In 2024, 240 Hz OLED PC monitors are becoming more widespread, with OLED at 240 Hz you get the best of both worlds with image quality and fluidity.

You can save a lot of money by going with a 1440p monitor as that drastically reduces the amount of GPU power you'd need to power those pixels. Refresh technologies like G-Sync, FreeSync and Adaptive Sync are important too, look for monitors with a wide window of adaptive sync for the best gaming experience. Some monitors also have other convieniences like USB porst which can be nice for charging devices or plugging in peripherals.

RqqpLMj.png

Game Pad
Recommended:
Xbox Series Controller
PS5 Dual Sense Controller

Value:
Xbox One Controller, PS4 Controller

Xbox Series controller is fantastic on PC if you play console style games. The Dual Sense is also a fantastic game pad and Steam has Dual Sense integration. Xbox Series controller is cheaper but Dual Sense can be worth it especially if more games take advantage of it's haptic capabilities on PC. If you already have a PS4 or Xbox One controller, there is probably no reason to upgrade. You could even use Xbox 360 and PS3 controllers if you want...

Aside from the standard KB/m, you can get various peripherals like arcade sticks, flight sticks, racing wheels and even dance pads. Good quality specialized controllers like this tend to be a bit more expensive than your standard gamepad, but can add a lot to the gaming experience.

l7rjylF.png

DLSS 3.5 Ray Reconstruction

Path Tracing

Upscaling Technology

wckCOPO.png

Overclocking is a way to get even more performance out of your components but it does require a bit of tuning to get things right as things can become unstable if you are not careful. These days, at least on Intel 12th-14th gen, it seems like a better option to try under-volting to reduce power while keeping performance the same (or better).

CPU-Z: Information on your CPU, motherboard and memory
GPU-Z: Information on your GPU and VRAM such as clocks, bandwidth, and power consumption
MSI Afterburner: overclocking utility for GPUs, works on any modern GPU from any vendor, can also be used for under-volting
HWiNFO64: detailed system information, check voltages CPU speeds, RAM speed, HDD usage, etc.

CPU & RAM Benchmarks
Cinebench2024 benchmarking tool
Y-Cruncher stress test and benchmarking tool

GPU Benchmarks
Unigine Superposition benchmarking tool
MSI Kombustor stress test and benchmarking tool

Pricing & Compatibility
PCPartPicker: Good way to see if all your components are compatible and compare prices between components aggregated from various websites.

BC0Sfbw.png

Youtube
Gamers Nexus
Digital Foundry

Websites
Anandtech
Techpowerup
Tom's Hardware

DbOSdIN.png

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So I need some help from PC GAF. My PC has been relatively pain free since i rebuilt it in 2021, and most games just work but lately, ive been having stuttering issues in games that arent supposed to have them.

Robocop has massive stutters constantly. AC Mirage too. I turned on 1% and 0.1% framerate logging in MSI Afterburner and simply walking around in these games causes framerates to dip from locked 60 fps to 11 fps. They are practically unplayable. this reminds me of the horror stories of AMD cards from the PS3 era.

My GPU is a 3080. My CPU is an i7-11700k which works wonders in most games like cyberpunk and avatar. No stuttering there. it hits 150 watts in those games at higher framerates and doesnt break a sweat. My mobo is a gen 4 mobo. My SSD is a 7.5 GBps gen 4 ssd. I upgraded my ram to a 32GB ddr4 3600 last year for hogwarts which has made a massive difference

I dont think the stutters are due to 3080's 10 GB vram because both ac mirage and robocop hover around 5-6 GB. I didnt have these stutters in starfield, forza or alan wake 2 just a few months ago. This is exactly what I saw and continue to see in Star Wars Jedi Survivor. But unlike robocop and ac mirage, that game is supposed to have those stutters.

I have turned on hardware accelerated gpu scheduling in windows, turned off geforce experience overlay, turned off msi afterburner, but no dice. Verified files. Updated drivers. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So I need some help from PC GAF. My PC has been relatively pain free since i rebuilt it in 2021, and most games just work but lately, ive been having stuttering issues in games that arent supposed to have them.

Robocop has massive stutters constantly. AC Mirage too. I turned on 1% and 0.1% framerate logging in MSI Afterburner and simply walking around in these games causes framerates to dip from locked 60 fps to 11 fps. They are practically unplayable. this reminds me of the horror stories of AMD cards from the PS3 era.

My GPU is a 3080. My CPU is an i7-11700k which works wonders in most games like cyberpunk and avatar. No stuttering there. it hits 150 watts in those games at higher framerates and doesnt break a sweat. My mobo is a gen 4 mobo. My SSD is a 7.5 GBps gen 4 ssd. I upgraded my ram to a 32GB ddr4 3600 last year for hogwarts which has made a massive difference

I dont think the stutters are due to 3080's 10 GB vram because both ac mirage and robocop hover around 5-6 GB. I didnt have these stutters in starfield, forza or alan wake 2 just a few months ago. This is exactly what I saw and continue to see in Star Wars Jedi Survivor. But unlike robocop and ac mirage, that game is supposed to have those stutters.

I have turned on hardware accelerated gpu scheduling in windows, turned off geforce experience overlay, turned off msi afterburner, but no dice. Verified files. Updated drivers. Any help would be appreciated.
I was having the issue on my 4090. I turned off frame generation. It appears that frame generation causes problems for games if the frames aren't needed. My 4090 was able to get 120 fps without FG.

I have seen some suggest using TAA instead of DLSS.

//DEVIL//

- make sure you are on a performance power plan. ( believe it or not, MK1 did stutter for me and I have a 4090 with 7950x3d . only fixed when switched from balanced to high performance
- redo the shaders
- by default goes without saying, latest drivers.

Bojji

If it isn't VRAM or shader cache related:

- Is CPU or GPU overheating?
- check your STORAGE, maybe SSD is dying or something

You can also do Memtest to check memory stability and of course return all parts do default clocks.

SlimySnake

I was having the issue on my 4090. I turned off frame generation. It appears that frame generation causes problems for games if the frames aren't needed. My 4090 was able to get 120 fps without FG.

I have seen some suggest using TAA instead of DLSS.
- make sure you are on a performance power plan. ( believe it or not, MK1 did stutter for me and I have a 4090 with 7950x3d . only fixed when switched from balanced to high performance
- redo the shaders
- by default goes without saying, latest drivers.
Well, ac is no longer stuttering. I guess changing the performance profile did three trick. I was also missing the latest drivers but ac came out months ago.

Robocop is still a mess. It’s just buggy in general. Shaders compile on every boot and it just hangs on the menu until the shaders recompile.
If it isn't VRAM or shader cache related:

- Is CPU or GPU overheating?
- check your STORAGE, maybe SSD is dying or something

You can also do Memtest to check memory stability and of course return all parts do default clocks.
Nope temps are fine hovering around 70 degrees for both.

I will check my ssd. I have the Samsung 980 pro which i heard was having issues recently but maybe that was the 2tb model.

zephiross

I need a little advice guys.

I just bought a 14700k with a msi z790 gaming plus board and corsair dominator titanium ddr5 at 7200 CAS 34 (to replace a 10700k with DDR4).

I currently have a NZXT kraken x52 aio (240 mm) to cool the CPU. I fear it might not be sufficient to keep the 14700k chill and is leaning toward a 360 mm one.

Is the difference noticeable between a 360mm aio and a 240 one ?

I think if i switched I would stay with nzxt for their current kraken 360 model for aesthetic reasons and also to limit the number of different software needed to run the PC (everything fan related is NZXT branded with NZXT hubs so having everything related to cooling in one place is a must). Do some of you have experience with this model ? how does it perform ?

For information, I mainly use my PC for gaming at the moment, but plan to do some light to medium CAD and rendering work on it (GPU and CPU based) starting from this year.

Fredrik

Everything is dirt cheap, well not really but in my area I can’t even buy the graphics card for the total of that Greatest 4090 build
🤕

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Hello Gaffers,

Is it worth at this time to upgrade my AMD 5600X to 7800X3D or wait for 2024 CPU`s?

What GPU do you have? Unless you have a high end GPU, you might not notice the difference.
It's probably a lot cheaper to just get a 5800X3D and wait for the 9800X3D. This will probably be release by the end of 2024 or early 2025.

I just bought a 14700k with a msi z790 gaming plus board and corsair dominator titanium ddr5 at 7200 CAS 34 (to replace a 10700k with DDR4).

I currently have a NZXT kraken x52 aio (240 mm) to cool the CPU. I fear it might not be sufficient to keep the 14700k chill and is leaning toward a 360 mm one.

I think if i switched I would stay with nzxt for their current kraken 360 model for aesthetic reasons and also to limit the number of different software needed to run the PC (everything fan related is NZXT branded with NZXT hubs so having everything related to cooling in one place is a must). Do some of you have experience with this model ? how does it perform ?

For information, I mainly use my PC for gaming at the moment, but plan to do some light to medium CAD and rendering work on it (GPU and CPU based) starting from this year.

Looks like your cpu cooler is in the tier 3 bracket. Would be good enough for gaming, but would hold it back on production work. Or at least be too close for comfort.
I'm assuming this is using empirical data and not just opinion.

Last edited:

Darkone

What GPU do you have? Unless you have a high end GPU, you might not notice the difference.
It's probably a lot cheaper to just get a 5800X3D and wait for the 9800X3D. This will probably be release by the end of 2024 or early 2025.
I have a 4080

winjer

Gold Member
I have a 4080

Then you will see a difference in most games.
If budget is not an issue, get a 7800X3D. AM5 will be supported for several years, and that includes an eventual 9800X3D.
A year from now you can sell the 7800X3D, and replace it with a 9800X3D with little hassle.

SlimySnake

360mm will be better. But run some tests before you replace it. I am using a 240mm cooler for my 11700k. It goes up to 150 watts and stays around 65-70 degrees. not bad tbh.

you might be able to keep this AIO and invest in a couple of good quality case fans instead. I saw reductions of up to 10 degrees as I improved the airflow in my PC. 3 Front intake fans, 2 top AIO exhaust fans and 1 rear exhaust fan is the best setup.

Last edited:

zephiross

360mm will be better. But run some tests before you replace it. I am using a 240mm cooler for my 11700k. It goes up to 150 watts and stays around 65-70 degrees. not bad tbh.

you might be able to keep this AIO and invest in a couple of good quality case fans instead. I saw reductions of up to 10 degrees as I improved the airflow in my PC. 3 Front intake fans, 2 top AIO exhaust fans and 1 rear exhaust fan is the best setup.
My current aio is plenty enough for my 10700kf, but the 14700k goes up to 250+ watts under load so not quite the same league i'm affraid (thus my concerns).

As for fans, I already have 5 120s at the front (2 push pull + a third one), 2 120s and 1 140 at the top and a 120 at the back so i'm kinda stacked lol

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
My current aio is plenty enough for my 10700kf, but the 14700k goes up to 250+ watts under load so not quite the same league i'm affraid (thus my concerns).

As for fans, I already have 5 120s at the front (2 push pull + a third one), 2 120s and 1 140 at the top and a 120 at the back so i'm kinda stacked lol
Get a 7800X3D. It’s better at games and has better power efficiency…by a lot. It boggles my mind how anyone would consider a 14700K when a 7800X3D is better and is more future proof.

The 14700K is a good option only if you’re going from like a 12600K or less. Even then a 13700K is cheaper.

Last edited:

twilo99

Get a 7800X3D. It’s better at games and has better power efficiency…by a lot. It boggles my mind how anyone would consider a 14700K when a 7800X3D is better and is more future proof,

Intel still holds a very strong mindshare amongst PC gamers... they built that reputation over decades, and they are letting it deteriorate significantly, which is a shame.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Intel still holds a very strong mindshare amongst PC gamers... they built that reputation over decades, and they are letting it deteriorate significantly, which is a shame.
To be fair, AMD is far from perfect and it would be wrong to say that the 14700K is not a good CPU. It very much is. It's just that the 7800X3D costs about the same and performs better at lower power (drastically lower power). Not only that I have my 7800X3D running at -30 offset capped at 85W power draw and I get the exact same performance. The biggest advantage I get from AMD is platform support. You can buy a 7800X3D and you can be reasonably confident that AM5 will have several generations. That's not a given, as AMD has been far far far less vocal about continued platform support as it was for AM4. ANyone buying a 14700K will have to do a complete upgrade.

My only real AMD complaint is the long boot times and being finicky with memory. The memory I have is great, but I know it's a known issue.

lachesis

I am currently budgeting my new rig - around $3k.. my 1st AMD build (Always have been a Intel, but not sure if I want to jump in this current gen, as current socket is a dead-end, and its power efficiency is so horrible)

Purpose of the machine is workstation (but not too much of rendering but I deal with big files + photoshop/illustrator etc) + gaming + general use.

I am currently on 11yr old i7 3930k (OC'd to 4.2 Ghz) + 32gb DDR3-2133 on X79 board + Noctua NH-D14 + Asus Strix GTX 970 + SATA SSD (plus bunch of other SSD/HDD) in Silverstone FT02 case.
Does what I want to do, but I could definitely more power on dual 4k monitors that I have. (Only 60hz though)... and also files that I deal have become much larger, so faster processing + file transfers/searches between storage is needed.

I have dual 27" Dell Ultrasharp 4k monitors - only at 60hz though. Due to the age of my current rig's VGA and it's limited VRAM - I only play games at 1080p on single screen at best.
Would love to have one of those ultra wide OLED gaming monitor - but SRGB color accuracy is very important for my work, so alas, no go... (and no budget for now)

Here's what I plan to build - preferably in late Jan / Early Feb.

Ryzen7 7800X3D CPU$ 399.99
ASUS ROG Strix X670E-E Motherboard$ 459.00
G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000MT CL30 (2x32GB)$ 209.99
CRUCIAL T700 1TB PCIE 5.0 NVMe (Main Drive)$ 159.99
CRUCIAL T700 2TB PCIE 5.0 NVMe (Work/Data Drive)$ 269.99
SAMSUNG 870 2TB SATA III SSD (Game) - Already have - Will upgrade to PCIE 5.0 NVMe drive on sale sometime this year-
NOCTUA NH-D15 CHROMAX BLACK CPU Cooler$ 119.00
CORSAIR AX850 80+ Titanium PSU - Already have$ -
Torrent EATX CASE - Non RGB$ 189.99
4070 TI SUPER to 4080$ 1,100.00 (EST)
TOTAL$ 2,907.95

With this, I am thinking about upgrading to final AM5 chip that's top tier Ryzen 9 level and GPU upgrade in 2026 to 2028, whenever it comes.

7800x3D is little slower than I hope for workstation use, but in 2 years or so, I will relegate most of this build's inner parts to the HTPC, and use as light gaming machine. Also this will surely be much much faster than what I have from 2011.. ;). At least Gamers Nexus bench shows that it's pretty good at Photoshop. I originally thought about going 7950x3D - but all that dual CCD cumbersomeness just put me off in general. Hopefully next gen AM5 x3D chips will sort that issue out.

As per MB - thought about going to ROG Crosshair X670E Hero (goes around $630) - as it's got USB 4.0 ports in the back... but I don't need that much of custom Water Cooling capability, nor plan to use 2nd GPU at 8x8 speed. Strix X670E's three PCIE 5.0 NVMe x4 slot seems to be more practical option - which I plan to use fully for Main drive, Work drive and Game drive.

RAM - Chose DDR5 6000 CL30 that's on QVR list. I don't know much about RAM - and that DDR5-6000 CL30 is what people mostly recommend? I'm going with 64GB, as my 11yr old one had 32GB already. Would love to go with 128GB - but maybe on next upgrade.

GPU - currently thinking about going with 4070 TI Super, or 4080, if it gets a good discount after Super announcement. All depending on the pricing - but budget is around $1100 or less.

Noctua cooler is little too expensive and old, and new ones like Assassin 120 seem to beat this in its own game at 1/3rd price - so I may just get 30 dollar Assassin 120 and maybe get next generation NH-D15 that's supposed to be announced in later this year. I had really good customer support and performance from Noctua NH-D14, and would be happy to get a new one from them - but if I get a new one, I would at least get one that's newer that performs better than other coolers.

Case: I have Silverstone FT02 case. I'm a fan of a good airflow... Not that I"m against any watercooling or AIO, I just prefer simple air cooling... and this case has served me quite well over the years. But I could use a new updated with newer features.... so Torrent seem to be a good candidate.

I researched as best as I could - but if you have more expert advise or pointers on this build , please let me know. Much appreciated for your thoughts in advance! :)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I am currently budgeting my new rig - around $3k.. my 1st AMD build (Always have been a Intel, but not sure if I want to jump in this current gen, as current socket is a dead-end, and its power efficiency is so horrible)

Purpose of the machine is workstation (but not too much of rendering but I deal with big files + photoshop/illustrator etc) + gaming + general use.

I am currently on 11yr old i7 3930k (OC'd to 4.2 Ghz) + 32gb DDR3-2133 on X79 board + Noctua NH-D14 + Asus Strix GTX 970 + SATA SSD (plus bunch of other SSD/HDD) in Silverstone FT02 case.
Does what I want to do, but I could definitely more power on dual 4k monitors that I have. (Only 60hz though)... and also files that I deal have become much larger, so faster processing + file transfers/searches between storage is needed.

I have dual 27" Dell Ultrasharp 4k monitors - only at 60hz though. Due to the age of my current rig's VGA and it's limited VRAM - I only play games at 1080p on single screen at best.
Would love to have one of those ultra wide OLED gaming monitor - but SRGB color accuracy is very important for my work, so alas, no go... (and no budget for now)

Here's what I plan to build - preferably in late Jan / Early Feb.

Ryzen7 7800X3D CPU$ 399.99
ASUS ROG Strix X670E-E Motherboard$ 459.00
G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000MT CL30 (2x32GB)$ 209.99
CRUCIAL T700 1TB PCIE 5.0 NVMe (Main Drive)$ 159.99
CRUCIAL T700 2TB PCIE 5.0 NVMe (Work/Data Drive)$ 269.99
SAMSUNG 870 2TB SATA III SSD (Game) - Already have - Will upgrade to PCIE 5.0 NVMe drive on sale sometime this year-
NOCTUA NH-D15 CHROMAX BLACK CPU Cooler$ 119.00
CORSAIR AX850 80+ Titanium PSU - Already have$ -
Torrent EATX CASE - Non RGB$ 189.99
4070 TI SUPER to 4080$ 1,100.00 (EST)
TOTAL$ 2,907.95

With this, I am thinking about upgrading to final AM5 chip that's top tier Ryzen 9 level and GPU upgrade in 2026 to 2028, whenever it comes.

7800x3D is little slower than I hope for workstation use, but in 2 years or so, I will relegate most of this build's inner parts to the HTPC, and use as light gaming machine. Also this will surely be much much faster than what I have from 2011.. ;). At least Gamers Nexus bench shows that it's pretty good at Photoshop. I originally thought about going 7950x3D - but all that dual CCD cumbersomeness just put me off in general. Hopefully next gen AM5 x3D chips will sort that issue out.

As per MB - thought about going to ROG Crosshair X670E Hero (goes around $630) - as it's got USB 4.0 ports in the back... but I don't need that much of custom Water Cooling capability, nor plan to use 2nd GPU at 8x8 speed. Strix X670E's three PCIE 5.0 NVMe x4 slot seems to be more practical option - which I plan to use fully for Main drive, Work drive and Game drive.

RAM - Chose DDR5 6000 CL30 that's on QVR list. I don't know much about RAM - and that DDR5-6000 CL30 is what people mostly recommend? I'm going with 64GB, as my 11yr old one had 32GB already. Would love to go with 128GB - but maybe on next upgrade.

GPU - currently thinking about going with 4070 TI Super, or 4080, if it gets a good discount after Super announcement. All depending on the pricing - but budget is around $1100 or less.

Noctua cooler is little too expensive and old, and new ones like Assassin 120 seem to beat this in its own game at 1/3rd price - so I may just get 30 dollar Assassin 120 and maybe get next generation NH-D15 that's supposed to be announced in later this year. I had really good customer support and performance from Noctua NH-D14, and would be happy to get a new one from them - but if I get a new one, I would at least get one that's newer that performs better than other coolers.

Case: I have Silverstone FT02 case. I'm a fan of a good airflow... Not that I"m against any watercooling or AIO, I just prefer simple air cooling... and this case has served me quite well over the years. But I could use a new updated with newer features.... so Torrent seem to be a good candidate.

I researched as best as I could - but if you have more expert advise or pointers on this build , please let me know. Much appreciated for your thoughts in advance! :)
Unless the 4090 returns to a more down to earth price that's about as good as you are going to do. I'd wager that the 4070 Ti super will be a better bang for buck GPU than the 4080 Super....unless the 4080 super gets the rumored $999 price.

lachesis

Unless the 4090 returns to a more down to earth price that's about as good as you are going to do. I'd wager that the 4070 Ti super will be a better bang for buck GPU than the 4080 Super....unless the 4080 super gets the rumored $999 price.

$999 for 4080 super would be nice and I may go with that route.. but I can't really think Nvidia would do it. Maybe it will stay the same price (and hoping they'll bring 4080 price down to low $900 range to get rid of the stock)

So right now, I'm just waiting on the 4070 ti super pricing difference between stock 4080 and 4080 super... Just few days of waiting! :)

SlimySnake

yeah, try the 360mm one then. just remember that 360mm comes with 3 120mm fans so you will have to replace your top or front end case fans.

In my experience, the 200+ watts only happen when the CPU is running cinebench. TLOU1's shader compilation was the only time my CPU was maxed out at 100% and it never even came close to 200 watts. Max ive seen a game use my CPU was cyberpunk at 150 watts and my 240mm Artic Freezer II kept it under 75 degrees the whole time.

twilo99

I didn't know where else to post this, but it seems like a good deal if you are looking for a bigger monitor

20% with NEWYEARDEAL code so ~$800

twilo99

To be fair, AMD is far from perfect and it would be wrong to say that the 14700K is not a good CPU. It very much is. It's just that the 7800X3D costs about the same and performs better at lower power (drastically lower power). Not only that I have my 7800X3D running at -30 offset capped at 85W power draw and I get the exact same performance. The biggest advantage I get from AMD is platform support. You can buy a 7800X3D and you can be reasonably confident that AM5 will have several generations. That's not a given, as AMD has been far far far less vocal about continued platform support as it was for AM4. ANyone buying a 14700K will have to do a complete upgrade.

My only real AMD complaint is the long boot times and being finicky with memory. The memory I have is great, but I know it's a known issue.

I've gone as far as calling the 7800X3D the 1080ti of CPUs lol ... its a really solid product.

The memory thing used to be a bigger issue than it is now I think, but yes, still not as seamless as Intel. I just hope that Intel can get it together so we can have some competition.

Chiggs

I've gone as far as calling the 7800X3D the 1080ti of CPUs lol ... its a really solid product.

The memory thing used to be a bigger issue than it is now I think, but yes, still not as seamless as Intel. I just hope that Intel can get it together so we can have some competition.

With Nvidia and AMD bearing down hard on them, it's going to be really difficult.

Mithos

Everything is dirt cheap, well not really but in my area I can’t even buy the graphics card for the total of that Greatest 4090 build
🤕
Know the feeling...
Been waiting since late 2020 to "change/upgrade" my RTX 2060 Super (that I only bought in case I couldn't get a 30x0 GPU at not stupid prices, and now its the same on 40x0 series).

twilo99

So today I discovered that Bluetooth audio is horrendous when it comes to gaming.. there is some weird limitation with the protocol itself.

I was hoping to use my airpods pro 2 when I want to play a quick game, but that's a no go. They do work great for music however, and I found this app in the store which does a very good job at managing the connection.

With Nvidia and AMD bearing down hard on them, it's going to be really difficult.

That, and I think Apple going ARM was also a huge blow.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Know the feeling...
Been waiting since late 2020 to "change/upgrade" my RTX 2060 Super (that I only bought in case I couldn't get a 30x0 GPU at not stupid prices, and now its the same on 40x0 series).
No joke, the 4090 is for real more expensive than the whole custom shop built PC with a 780ti I bought when I started with PC gaming in 2014, which was expensive at the time.

zephiross

So today I discovered that Bluetooth audio is horrendous when it comes to gaming.. there is some weird limitation with the protocol itself.

I was hoping to use my airpods pro 2 when I want to play a quick game, but that's a no go. They do work great for music however, and I found this app in the store which does a very good job at managing the connection.

That, and I think Apple going ARM was also a huge blow.
Honestly I use my airpods pro for quick games or when I don't want to bother with my (heavy) headset and its fine. Ok sound and no perceivable delay. Just try it.

RagnarokIV

Is the asus pg42uq OLED a good monitor? I can potentially get a near-new one for a good price from someone.

Our C1 is now for movies only in the living room so my PC and consoles are now connected to my Dell 27DGFA, which whilst a good monitor is lacking compared to OLED particularly when using shaders for older games.

Top Bottom