• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alleged Prices of AMD's RX 7700 and RX 7800

Spyxos

Gold Member
dJicBBw28rrc6MDgcNFN2h-970-80.jpg.webp

Now that we know rough performance of AMD's upcoming Radeon RX 7700 and Radeon RX 7800 graphics cards, we are left wondering about their prices. If the numbers leaked by All_The_Watts!!, a tweeter that has a very spotty record, are correct, then AMD is considering a rather curious pricing strategy. Meanwhile, since these boards seem to be weeks away, take the information with a grain of salt.

According to "expectations" made by All_The_Watts!!, AMD's recommended price for its Radeon RX 7700 will be $449. The more powerful Radeon RX 7800 will carry a $549 suggested price tag.

null3DMark Time Spy Average ~ MaximumMSRP
Radeon RX 7700*15465$449*
Radeon RX 7800*18197$549*
Radeon RX 6800 XT17098 ~ 24934$520**
Radeon RX 680014503 ~ 20239$450**
Radeon RX 6700 XT11970 ~ 15087$330**
GeForce RTX 4070 Ti20437 ~ 25898$799
GeForce RTX 407016372 ~ 21065$599
GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 8GB12836 ~ 15000$399

Based on recently leaked 3DMark Time Spy scores, AMD's Radeon RX 7700 beats Nvidia's RTX 4060 Ti and Radeon RX 6700 XT. This is only one benchmark and we have no idea how the product performs in other games. Anyhow, the big question is whether a $50 premium over the GeForce RTX 4060 Ti and a $119 premium over the Radeon RX 6700 XT is justified, at least based on its performance in 3DMark Time Spy.

When it comes to the AMD's Radeon RX 7800 (which will allegedly retail for $549), it cannot decisively beat either AMD's own Radeon RX 6800 that can be acquired for $450 or Nvidia's GeForce RTX 4070, which of course starts at around $599. If one would only consider an RX 7800 vs. RTX 4070, then of course it is logical to price the former below the latter. Anyhow, AMD's Radeon RX 7800 promises to be a rather fast graphics board, so it will likely end up in our list of the best graphics card.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Nobody can convince me that AMD and NVIDIA aren't colluding to manipulate the market. NVIDIA completely fumbled the ball with Lovelace when it comes to prices and AMD instead of continuing the course they had taken with RDNA2 veers off track and follows NVIDIA right with the awful prices? A $550 GPU that cannot convincingly beat a fucking RX 6800 (non XT)? What kind of sick joke is this?

They should open an investigation like they did with the DRAM prices a couple of years back. No way this isn't price fixing.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
They're not bad prices IMO, same as with RX 7600, people keep complaining that newer cards prices are a little more expensive than cards that have almost 3 years in the market and have gotten like half as cheaper as they released. Not to mention global situation and inflation.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Nobody can convince me that AMD and NVIDIA aren't colluding to manipulate the market. NVIDIA completely fumbled the ball with Lovelace when it comes to prices and AMD instead of continuing the course they had taken with RDNA2 veers off track and follows NVIDIA right with the awful prices? A $550 GPU that cannot convincingly beat a fucking RX 6800 (non XT)? What kind of sick joke is this?

They should open an investigation like they did with the DRAM prices a couple of years back. No way this isn't price fixing.
Not only that, I can't unsee that AMD is gimping their own products in order to never put Nvidia in a bad shape, like they have some under the table deal or whatever. They seem so synced to Nvidia when they do well and wrong and always relatively proportional to Nvidia output quality even when they mess up... Then I knew both CEOs were family and, well, as I said it, I can't unsee it.

Last edited:

Hudo

Well, allegedly, Lisa Su (CEO of AMD) and Jensen 'Leatherjacket' Huang (CEO of Nvidia) are related: https://www.hardwaretimes.com/nvidi...sa-su-are-allegedly-1st-cousins-once-removed/

If that really is true then the GPU market is essentially controlled by one family.

Last edited:

Reallink

AMD's CEO's grandfather is Nvidia's CEO's uncle. Of course they're colluding, you'd have to be the most naive retard on the planet to believe otherwise.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
AMD's CEO's grandfather is Nvidia's CEO's uncle. Of course they're colluding, you'd have to be the most naive retard on the planet to believe otherwise.
Uh no. AMD and nvidia hate each other. I doubt there is anything personal between Su and Huang.

AMD is getting their ass kicked by nvidia in the GPU market. If AMD were colluding to keep that number low, which offers NO BENEFIT to them, the shareholders would sue the shit out of Su for failing in their fiduciary duty.

The simple answer is that nvidia has priced their GPUs so sky high that AMD can get away with it. It’s arrogance on their part as they act like they are in a better position than they are. AMD GPUs are solid GPUs and perform well, no doubt but they still haven’t won over the hearts and minds of gamers in GPUs like they have in CPUs. They seem to have no interest in gaining market share. The 7900XTX should be priced at $799, the 7900XT (should be called the 7800XT) should be priced at $649 , the 7800 should be $399, the 7700 should be $299 and the 7600 should be $199.

Last edited:

Reallink

Uh no. AMD and nvidia hate each other. I doubt there is anything personal between Su and Huang.

AMD is getting their ass kicked by nvidia in the GPU market. If AMD were colluding to keep that number low, which offers NO BENEFIT to them, the shareholders would sue the shit out of Su for failing in their fiduciary duty.

The simple answer is that nvidia has priced their GPUs so sky high that AMD can get away with it. It’s arrogance on their part as they act like they are in a better position than they are. AMD GPUs are solid GPUs and perform well, no doubt but they still haven’t won over the hearts and minds of gamers in GPUs like they have in CPUs. They seem to have no interest in gaining market share. The 7900XTX should be priced at $799, the 7900XT (should be called the 7800XT) should be priced at $649 , the 7800 should be $399, the 7700 should be $299 and the 7600 should be $199.

So your argument is that a company with 10% marketshare to their effective sole competitor's 90% is choosing to price their objectively inferior products at a 10% discount cause they just haven't won gamers hearts and minds. You then rightly point out they seem to have no interest in gaining marketshare and are puzzled by their nonsensical pricing. Gee I wonder why 2 close relatives running a literal duopoly might be acting irrationally from a free market perspective.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The simple answer is that nvidia has priced their GPUs so sky high that AMD can get away with it. It’s arrogance on their part as they act like they are in a better position than they are. AMD GPUs are solid GPUs and perform well, no doubt but they still haven’t won over the hearts and minds of gamers in GPUs like they have in CPUs. They seem to have no interest in gaining market share.

Hence the accusations of collusion.

This is what makes no sense to me, and why are shareholders okay with AMD pissing away a golden opportunity to take marketshare away from Nvidia?

StereoVsn

The cards at those prices just don't look attractive, but then again now days AMD MSRP does not mean much.

Let's see what happens at release and true benchmarks. It would be also good to see these in laptops. It's ridiculous that you have to go to a 4080 $2.5K+ system to get over 8GB of VRAM.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
You can find the 4070 for cheaper than MSRP those days, not sure why you’d buy one of those for barely less and lose on DLSS / frame generation / better RT.

Not sure why anyone would buy a 4060 rebranded as a 4070 for $600 either. It’s a weak card for the money.

StereoVsn

Not sure why anyone would buy a 4060 rebranded as a 4070 for $600 either. It’s a weak card for the money.
If you are building a new 1440p system, it's not terrible especially if on sale, well considering the choices right now. I mean alternatives are going for RX 6950 or 6750?

Where this really sucks is on laptops where that "4070" is more like desktop 4060 with 8gb VRAM.

Edit: On desktop personally for $600 budget I would go for 6950 with free Starfield right now, but a lot of folks want Nvidia.

Last edited:

Senua

With AMD having such a wide open goal to kick Nvidia in the nuts and gain a HUGE amount of good faith with consumers and this generation just continuing to completely miss, it does make ya wonder if something fishy is about..and not just Lisa's minge.

kiphalfton

It's called delusions, on AMD's part.

It's called greed, on Nvidia's part.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So your argument is that a company with 10% marketshare to their effective sole competitor's 90% is choosing to price their objectively inferior products at a 10% discount cause they just haven't won gamers hearts and minds. You then rightly point out they seem to have no interest in gaining marketshare and are puzzled by their nonsensical pricing. Gee I wonder why 2 close relatives running a literal duopoly might be acting irrationally from a free market perspective.
Yes, that is my argument. I am an Occams Razor guy. I believe in the simplest explanation is most likely the correct one. For nvidia and AMD, it's greed and arrogance. Throw in a bit of delusion from AMD. Conspiracy Theories that require two bitter rival companies to collude where no one gains are absurd to believe.

Kenpachii

Yes, that is my argument. I am an Occams Razor guy. I believe in the simplest explanation is most likely the correct one. For nvidia and AMD, it's greed and arrogance. Throw in a bit of delusion from AMD. Conspiracy Theories that require two bitter rival companies to collude where no one gains are absurd to believe.

It's a duopoly because why chase eachother to the ground, when u can chase eachother to the sky because there are no valid aternatives anyway.

There is no other explanation of AMD's behavior. Honestly it's time to crack down on these company's or game developers should start ignoring newer generations of gpu's and just base all there games around old gpu's until intel catches up.

DaGwaphics

Here's to hoping AMD does the right thing again and cuts another $50 from that 7700 price tag. That looks like a meager increase for a $100 price bump over the 6700xt. With the 7600 they priced the card correctly within the current retail pricing, hopefully they do that again.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It's a duopoly because why chase eachother to the ground, when u can chase eachother to the sky because there are no valid aternatives anyway.

There is no other explanation of AMD's behavior. Honestly it's time to crack down on these company's or game developers should start ignoring newer generations of gpu's and just base all there games around old gpu's until intel catches up.
Here's to hoping AMD does the right thing again and cuts another $50 from that 7700 price tag. That looks like a meager increase for a $100 price bump over the 6700xt. With the 7600 they priced the card correctly within the current retail pricing, hopefully they do that again.
AMD also has this terrible habit of pricing them way high at first and gradually lowering the price. the 7900XT is now a drastically better value than it was at launch, but people still look at it like a $900 card, when it can be had for $700 if you're patient.

StereoVsn

AMD also has this terrible habit of pricing them way high at first and gradually lowering the price. the 7900XT is now a drastically better value than it was at launch, but people still look at it like a $900 card, when it can be had for $700 if you're patient.
Yep, and 7900xtx dropped to $800 on a flash sale for ASrock card. But the impressions they first made are still sticking around. For $800 7900xtx (with free Starfield) is a great deal. Even for $900 its not too bad. Same for $700 7900xt which is generally 25-30% faster vs 4070Ti at that same price (actually $100 less).

hinch7

Rumors ofc but if true, these might as well be a 6800 XT / 6700 XT refreshes. Both of which are going to be similarly priced, if not cheaper.. and perform about the same. And tdp too.

RDNA3 is embarrasingly bad. No wonder they're talking so long to release the rest of the stack.

Last edited:

Reallink

How exactly do you figure no one gains? They're both selling product at 2x - 3x the BoM due to the lack of free market price pressure. You also realize there doesn't even have to be an explicit agreement, implicit/tacit collusion is basically built into a duopoly by default. The fact that the CEO's are close relatives just takes it from plausible deniability to no doubt on God's green earth.

Last edited:

It’s not arrogance. They simply cannot win a price war against Nvidia.

RespawnX

Rumors ofc but if true, these might as well be a 6800 XT / 6700 XT refreshes. Both of which are going to be similarly priced, if not cheaper.. and perform about the same. And tdp too.

RDNA3 is embarrasingly bad. Not wonder they're talking so long to release the rest of the stack.

One of the reasons why I hope that Sony and Microsoft skip a mid-gen refresh with RDNA3 next year. The performance gain would be ridiculously low. But maybe it won't be "Pro" consoles but only "New PS5 / New XsX". The small leaps in performance on mid-range cards do not suggest a Pro, and the mid-range should be the reference for console hardware.

So ... let's hope for RDNA4? As we have already prayed for 2 and 3. Considering the AI rush and the massive technological edge of Nvidia, this could be crucial for the future of AMD GPUs.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
These sound like the prices AMD would throw at the wall to see if it sticks, get overall negative reviews because of the bad pricing and three months later have all the OEMs + distributors + stores reduce them by 20% because people refuse to buy them at MSRP.

So it's totally believable.

StereoVsn

What would you buy for 1440p those days? Bought it for €550 on sale and it's a great card.
You could get RX 6950 and free Starfield for that price, at least in US just a week or two ago. That would be a significantly faster card, if a lot more power hungry.

EDMIX

You could get RX 6950 and free Starfield for that price, at least in US just a week or two ago. That would be a significantly faster card, if a lot more power hungry.

I'm using the 6950 XT in a build I just did and its most good.

I might play Starfield in a 4090 build I'm doing though...we'll see.

Imagine not knowing that AMD is severely capacity limited by TSMC and they are dedicating most of their allocation to making more profitable CPU's. They are busy eating Intel's lunch in CPU's right now.

They do not give a FUCK about selling more GPU's right now, so they'll price almost as high as Nvidia and just sell to the most dedicated cultists. Market share in GPU's is not their priority.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
These sound like the prices AMD would throw at the wall to see if it sticks, get overall negative reviews because of the bad pricing and three months later have all the OEMs + distributors + stores reduce them by 20% because people refuse to buy them at MSRP.

So it's totally believable.
You are completely right, AMD launch at stupid prices only to cut prices within a few weeks.
They lose the chance to gain reviewer hype by launching at the better price.

Both of these cards should be 50$ less than the rumoured price.

Last edited:

Crayon

AMD is only good once it's discounted because the prices drop a bunch. Like rn a 6800 is a fucking good buy for the 16gb. Also used they don't hold the value.

Makes the launches disappointing because it takes them 18 months to get to the correct price.

supernova8

Banned

I can understand why you'd think so.

However, I think it's more a mix of several points (the latter two points are speculation on my part, of course):

1) Most folks only want AMD to be aggressive on price-to-performance to force Nvidia to have a better offering so that they can.... go out and buy Nvidia.
2) AMD doesn't want to be viewed as the cheaper (yet shittier) alternative to Nvidia.
3) AMD is waiting for the time when it has a decisive winner tech-wise (ie it can win on all fronts, including ray tracing) before it decides to be aggressive on pricing.

edit: also as U Unknown Soldier pointed out, they may not have the capacity to be "winners" in both CPU and GPU at the same time, and at the moment staying well ahead of Intel (especially in server) is probably more a priority given the higher margins involved.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
If those prices and specs are confirmed, then it means these cards will have the same cost/perf as RDNA2.
They might be more efficient due to the N5 process node. But that's the only advantage.
And this means it's another pointless launch. Similar to what the 7600 was to the 6650XT.
And it probably also means discounts weeks after launch.

hinch7

One of the reasons why I hope that Sony and Microsoft skip a mid-gen refresh with RDNA3 next year. The performance gain would be ridiculously low. But maybe it won't be "Pro" consoles but only "New PS5 / New XsX". The small leaps in performance on mid-range cards do not suggest a Pro, and the mid-range should be the reference for console hardware.

So ... let's hope for RDNA4? As we have already prayed for 2 and 3. Considering the AI rush and the massive technological edge of Nvidia, this could be crucial for the future AMD GPUs.
Yeah even with the latest iteration of RNDA (3/3.5) its not exactly groundbreaking. And the rumored leaked specs of the PS5 Pro of 30 WGX (should be around 60 CU's) and with slightly higher boosted clocks.. plus a modest bump in memory bandwidth of around 20%, we should expect around 2x performance. Which isn't bad. And along the lines of the PS4 > PS4 Pro as performance jumps go.

Heres hoping AMD actually delivers with RDNA 4. Actually go all in on Raytracing peformance and have a proper software stack ready. They're still so behind Nvidia on software its just no comparison.

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

2) AMD doesn't want to be viewed as the cheaper (yet shittier) alternative to Nvidia.
3) AMD is waiting for the time when it has a decisive winner tech-wise (ie it can win on all fronts, including ray tracing) before it decides to be aggressive on pricing.
Yet, they are the shittier option. RT still lags behind 4 years later and their upscaling tech isnt as good as DLSS. They know they are worse, yet still price their cards on the edge of being acceptable.

I personally dont care what they wanna be seen as, if the better card is $100 more [and im spending above 600], im going for the better card.

Im really starting to think AMD will always be behind. They have never introduced tech to push gaming forward - NV generally does that and then AMD follows.

Chukhopops

Personally I’d get a discounted 6950XT, and get Starfield - which I could sell if I wanted to recoup a little of what I paid for the 6950XT.
I respect that but I wouldn’t buy it instead of a 4070 all things considered (features, RT, power consumption, power difference).

Also I got Diablo 4 with the 4070, don’t know if it’s still an option.

StereoVsn

I respect that but I wouldn’t buy it instead of a 4070 all things considered (features, RT, power consumption, power difference).

Also I got Diablo 4 with the 4070, don’t know if it’s still an option.
And that's perfectly reasonable. 6950 is a more powerful card but you are looking at quite a significant power consumption difference.

RT I don't think matters as much because 4070 won't be able to perform well enough to run RT to the point it matters.

Top Bottom