• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radeon RX 7800 XT Specs Leaked. Only 60 CUs.

b0uncyfr0

AMD is checked out as well. There is no point in buying new cards.

Suddenly a used PS5 for 400 seems pretty good.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
If AMD is really calling the RDNA 3 60 CU a 7800 "XT" then I really hope the media calls them out for it like they did w/ Nvidia & the two "4080's". Regardless of it's pricing, it's only going to confuse consumers into thinking it's better than a 6800 XT (which is probably their intention). I digress though, it is what it is.
Of course we'll get the same old "angry grrrr" thumbnail videos from Hardware Unboxed and Gamers Nexus.

Is this the first generation in a while where we're genuinely getting pretty much zero price-to-performance improvement outside the very high end?

Every time AMD has an opportunity to capitalise on NVidias greed they end up dropping the ball. That’s a fact.
Coincidence?

sci-fi signs GIF

SHA

I'm not so sure, 7600 barely beat the 6650 XT and those had the same number of cores.

7600 didn't beat 6650 XT by 20%, so how could 7800 XT beat 6800 XT when 6800 XT has 20% more CU? Just doesn't seem possible to me, but I'd like to be wrong here, as it would suck to see a worse product launch 3 years later...
Silicon vs Silicon, we could no longer expect much from Silicon unfortunately.

SABRE220

Honestly as a longtime amd fan screw them. They not only completely dropped the ball in terms of actually trying to compete and innovate but are actively trying to price gouge the few loyal consumers they had left, they shat on the very segment that has kept them going the mid end until now. Honestly the gpu manufacturers should be investigated for collusion, but wouldn't be surprised if it was just amd desperately trying to copy nvidia..since they long forgot what actually made them competitive in their good days.

Last edited:

Loxus

6800 XT has 20% more, that's how. This is the first card in the AMD lineup to go backwards on CU count vs. last gen.

AMD naming/branding is meaningless.

Last gen 6800 XT was on par with a 3080.

This gen 7800 XT could lose to the 4070.

Imagine if Nvidia released RTX 4080 and it was the same performance as RTX 3080, they'd get roasted to hell and back...
This was known 1 year ago that Navi32 had max 60CUs, I don't know why you all acting all surprised.

Check the link I posted.

I swear Neogaf members has memory lost or something.

Last edited:

FingerBang

I've been saying this for a while. AMD is officially as bad as Nvidia, even worse if you count that given the same performance per price you at least get frame generation with an RTX card. They have simply decided that the price is not tied to the chip size anymore but to the performance and they decided that after the goddamn pandemic where they made bank for no reason, the prices will have to stay up.

Just get a 7900GRE if you really must be on AMD.
The 7900 GRE is a bin-tier card they made just for China. It's basically a way to get rid of chips that aren't good enough for a 7900xt

This was known 1 year ago that Navi32 had max 60CUs, I don't know why you all acting all surprised.

Check the link I posted.

I swear Neogaf members has memory lost or something.
I don't think this is necessarily the issue. The issue is the x800 series was always an x1 chip. The 6800xt was the full Navi 21 and the 6800 was a cut-down version. Now the 7800 is full Navi 32.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I could be upset at AMD for this GPU, but...

I will instead be happy for those who got a 6800XT at launch for launch price.

Congrats guys, your card has a lot of life left in it!

buenoblue

Yeah the days of getting good bumps gen to gen have gone. To much business and numbers have gotten involved. basically they faze out the old card so you have to buy the new one even though are similar performance it means they can sell the same tech and performance for 3-4 years for the same price.

Saying that though it's always been scummy. When I first got into PC gaming I bought a GeForce 9800 not knowing it was just a refresh if the 8800 from years earlier.

Skifi28

Saying that though it's always been scummy. When I first got into PC gaming I bought a GeForce 9800 not knowing it was just a refresh if the 8800 from years earlier.
Refreshes have always been a thing, but you were getting them at much, much lower price than what the original card used to cost. The 9800 was in the 200 range while the 8800 400+ I believe. These days you're paying a similar price (if not more) for the exact same performance from years ago.

Loxus

I've been saying this for a while. AMD is officially as bad as Nvidia, even worse if you count that given the same performance per price you at least get frame generation with an RTX card. They have simply decided that the price is not tied to the chip size anymore but to the performance and they decided that after the goddamn pandemic where they made bank for no reason, the prices will have to stay up.

The 7900 GRE is a bin-tier card they made just for China. It's basically a way to get rid of chips that aren't good enough for a 7900xt

I don't think this is necessarily the issue. The issue is the x800 series was always an x1 chip. The 6800xt was the full Navi 21 and the 6800 was a cut-down version. Now the 7800 is full Navi 32.
AMD changed up their naming scheme.
It ain't that hard to get with the program.

Last edited:

FingerBang

AMD changed up their naming scheme.
It ain't that hard to get with the program.

That's not accurate AT ALL if you go by die size

Going by die size
4090 => 4090 or arguably 4080ti
4080 => 4070
4070ti => 4060ti
4070 => 4060
4060ti => 4050ti
4060 => 4050

And even though you do get some nice performance uplift from the previous gen with the first 3, it's way less than you'd get had Nvidia kept the same stricture of the 30 series.

For 650 dollars......bin tier?
Okay.
Price doesn't mean anything. The bin-tier is referred to the shittiest chips of N31 that are used to call a card x900, even though it should be AT BEST A x700xt. You can get a 6950xt for that price, and that's been possible for months.

It's a shiyty card they won't even dare to launch in the rest of the world.

DaGwaphics

I'm not so sure, 7600 barely beat the 6650 XT and those had the same number of cores.

7600 didn't beat 6650 XT by 20%, so how could 7800 XT beat 6800 XT when 6800 XT has 20% more CU? Just doesn't seem possible to me, but I'd like to be wrong here, as it would suck to see a worse product launch 3 years later...

The 7600 actually beats the 6650XT by a good margin in almost all modern games (often a good 12 to 20%) and can often match the outgoing 6700(non XT). The slate of games used by a lot of reviewers often leans on older software which changes the numbers.

Also, the 7800 released might not have the xt branding and might be positioned more as a replacement for the RX 6800. It all depends on the pricing.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Price doesn't mean anything. The bin-tier is referred to the shittiest chips of N31 that are used to call a card x900, even though it should be AT BEST A x700xt. You can get a 6950xt for that price, and that's been possible for months.

Its effectively a direct replacement for a 6950XT.
They are the same price, same VRAM and run near at about the same level of performance.

If you cant find a 6950XT the 7900GRE is a perfect card.
Between the 600 and 700 dollars the 6950XT and the 7900GRE are your best bet, the 4070 isnt particularly interesting unless you really need DLSS.

Loxus

That's not accurate AT ALL if you go by die size

Going by die size
4090 => 4090 or arguably 4080ti
4080 => 4070
4070ti => 4060ti
4070 => 4060
4060ti => 4050ti
4060 => 4050

And even though you do get some nice performance uplift from the previous gen with the first 3, it's way less than you'd get had Nvidia kept the same stricture of the 30 series.

Thought we were talking about AMD?

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
...'but what if people can't afford a high end card?'

Nvidia...'that's what consoles are for.'

Kataploom

Gold Member
They are the same price, same VRAM and run near at about the same level of performance.

Between the 600 and 700 dollars the 6950XT and the 7900GRE are your best bet, the 4070 isnt particularly interesting unless you really need DLSS.
Why you both talk like the card is releasing in here? I'd happily get one of those but I'm thinking it's China only isn't it?

price fixing, simple as. They've been sued for it before, and hopefully they will be sued for it again.

Maybe the respective executive officers entire bloodline could be banned from the GPU industry as part of the lawsuit.

FingerBang

Well, there's no such thing as a bad card, just bad pricing/value proposition. I think all of AMD's offerings are better than Nvidia's this time, but they both suck. The 7900XT seems to be the better value if you can find it at around 750, but even then, still bad pricing compared to the previous gen.

b0uncyfr0

Ok, so these are basically coming soon.

Edit: Being able to use FSR3 in any DX11/12 game is very very exciting!! Maybe they arent dead after all.

bZHWL1k.png

Last edited:

The 7600 used a last gen node (6nm) this will be current gen (5nm).

DaGwaphics

Nice prices on the 7700/7800xt, certainly makes them the most interesting launches of the entire generation so far. We'll have to see where the benchmarks fall, but if they can land a lot closer to the performance of the 4070 at 4060ti 16GB money that is quite significant.

Top Bottom