• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GTA IV Info

dsunit1

Not sure if this has been posted before. From the latest issue of PLAY magazine. Here are some of the new stuff

* McReary, the character we learned about in GamesTM, is a corrupt cop. He has "dirt on Niko's past." The mission they previewed is called "Call and Collect."
* Little Jacob (a caribbean arms dealer) is a good friend of Niko's cousin. When you buy weapons from him (which are kept in his trunk) you can scroll through them like you did in Ammu-Nation in the previous GTA games.
* Rotterdam Hill (the place where Niko agrees to meet Jacob) is in Alderney - the GTA IV equivalent of New Jersey.
* Niko kills Goldberg (the shady lawyer) because he owes a favour to somebody.
* Rockstar showed the sequence where he kills Goldberg twice. The first time he fell out of the window, the second time he merely crumpled on the floor.
* When purchasing clothes, you have to choose the items from the shelf individually.
* Determining which figures you need to kill requires perception - there are no arrowheads to direct you like in the previous games.
* Once you gain a wanted-level, the map flashes with circles of blue and red, with each circle representing the line of sight of the police chase. The circles differ in size depending on your wanted-level.
* The default camera view when driving rests around the left-hand side of the car above the road.
* Multiplayer is accessed via your mobile phone.
* The combat rests somewhere between Resident Evil 4 and Gears of War in terms of style, allowing you to roll, find protection and blind-fire from behind cover.
* Shooting different parts of the body has different impacts (e.g shoot a security guard in the foot at the top of the stairs, and he'll come tumbling down.)
* In GTA IV you have to develop relationships with other characters. Your relationship with Little Jacob, for example, is maintained through phone calls and loyalty. Developing good relationships with different characters can provide different rewards.

Sounds like they really changed things.

This is the first GTA I've ever been super-interested in. Sounds and looks great. I thought the other games were really fun with deep gameplay, but I found myself not really caring about making any progress and just messing around without aim. But this looks like the first installment that I may actually care enough about the story and characters enough to the point where I may actually make some progress. :lol

Not to say the others had bad characters or stories, they didn't, but for whatever reason I couldn't find the interest to keep going.

* The combat rests somewhere between Resident Evil 4 and Gears of War in terms of style, allowing you to roll, find protection and blind-fire from behind cover.
* Shooting different parts of the body has different impacts (e.g shoot a security guard in the foot at the top of the stairs, and he'll come tumbling down.)

This just jumped above MP3 on my list of hype

newsguy

AdmiralViscen* said:
Shooting different parts of the body has different impacts (e.g shoot a security guard in the foot at the top of the stairs, and he'll come tumbling down.)

Wasn't it said that GTA4 uses Endorphine physics?

madmook

Is it known if it'll still use lock-on aiming ala the prior GTAs or will it be free-aiming, like Saint's Row or the PC versions of GTA?

jet1911

Multiplayer is accessed via your mobile phone.

What???

RumFore

Banned
I'm so ready for this game. I must have put 30 hours in SA on the PC and it looks like it may be double that for this.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
jet1911 said:

What???

I think they mean the mobile phone you get in the game

S. L.

jet1911 said:

What???
probably your ingame mobile phone?

Ranger X

dsunit1 said:
* Rotterdam Hill (the place where Niko agrees to meet Jacob) is in Alderney - the GTA IV equivalent of New Jersey.

* Determining which figures you need to kill requires perception - there are no arrowheads to direct you like in the previous games.
* Once you gain a wanted-level, the map flashes with circles of blue and red, with each circle representing the line of sight of the police chase. The circles differ in size depending on your wanted-level.

* In GTA IV you have to develop relationships with other characters. Your relationship with Little Jacob, for example, is maintained through phone calls and loyalty. Developing good relationships with different characters can provide different rewards.

Hype + 1000
I have more and more the feeling this game will deliver. Dan Houser indeed can't deceive me. GTA4 <3

JDSN

Banned
Looks like "jack all trades, master of none" wont be an accurate description to the GTA series anymore.

jet1911

Darunia said:
I think they mean the mobile phone you get in the game

I know that. It's just that it was known that this game would have multiplayer? I gueess I'm LTTP on this one. :O

I was wondering how they were going to handle getting in and out of MP matches, good seamless approach they took with that. The hype...it's getting kind of hard to contain ;_;

hobbitx

jet1911 said:

What???
Gotta be in-game, total nightmare if not. It'd be like connectivity all over again.

..............still waiting for a tv watching feature. If the new game is going to be more social, you should have more stuff to do at home..........like watch Yuppie and the Alien........or Just the Five of Us! :D

deadbeef

RumpledForeskin said:
I'm so ready for this game. I must have put 30 hours in SA on the PC and it looks like it may be double that for this.

Word. I put over 60 hours into Saints Row. I've been looking forward to a next-gen GTA for a long time!

Sounds awesome. GTA with RE4/GeOW combat is perfect. The only thing that sounded weird was the new car view, I am sure it works well(because Rockstar implemented it) but I can't really picture it in my head.

LAMBO

dsunit1 said:
Haters be damned this is sounding like the best gta (action/adventure) ever created.

I think Mercs 2 has it beat so far. Mercenaries bested all the GTA's for me and the sequel looks like it will as well.

X26

Banned
Awesome stuff, I will now bold the awesome stuffs

dsunit1 said:
* McReary, the character we learned about in GamesTM, is a corrupt cop. He has "dirt on Niko's past." The mission they previewed is called "Call and Collect."
* Little Jacob (a caribbean arms dealer) is a good friend of Niko's cousin. When you buy weapons from him (which are kept in his trunk) you can scroll through them like you did in Ammu-Nation in the previous GTA games.
* Niko kills Goldberg (the shady lawyer) because he owes a favour to somebody.
* Rockstar showed the sequence where he kills Goldberg twice. The first time he fell out of the window, the second time he merely crumpled on the floor.
* When purchasing clothes, you have to choose the items from the shelf individually.
* The default camera view when driving rests around the left-hand side of the car above the road.

awesome

awesome

awesome

deadbeef

snack said:
Sounds awesome. GTA with RE4/GeOW combat is perfect. The only thing that sounded weird was the new car view, I am sure it works well(because Rockstar implemented it) but I can't really picture it in my head.

Imagine looking out the passenger-side window, behind the driver. I think that's what they are describing.

dsunit1

snack said:

Its probably like what they showed in the trailer when the bullets were coming through the windshield.

hyonoid

Sounds a step forward comparing with Saints Row.

I wait the PS3 version don´t delay. Why GTAIV don´t appeared in Sony conference ?

TJ Spyke

San Andreas was a great game, but I hated that whole relationship thing (I never did get the cop outfit because I never got that one woman up to 100%). I hope the relationship situation isn't as annoying as that.

HolyStar

Banned
Ok, but how strong are the guns? I don't want to play a game where it takes like 5+ shots from a pistol just to take you down. I want the guns to feel like weapons. I also want to be able to shoot thru a car door with an assult rifle in a drive-by.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So I guess you guys all missed the new GTAIV scans recently show uh?

The ones where they basically described word for word a long assignment, like how he called a guy on his cellphone in a crowd to find out who is target was by looking at who picked up their cellphone the moment he dialed the number and who hung up when he hung up?

Yeah, sounds good!:)

Too bad I can't post scans here!

Stantron

dsunit1 said:
Sounds good, but I hope they will have a GPS system like Saints Row for navigating to other objectives. That was really helpful.

ChrisD84

Sounds amazing, finally proper cover/shooting mechanics etc.

Some other info taken from the UK Games TM mag, taken from a gta forum:

- Star Junction is the GTA name for Times Square

- Little Jacob is a Caribbean arms dealer and an associate of Niko Bellic that helps him get armed with weaponry.

- Niko will have the ability to hail a taxi in the game.

- A place called Rotterdam Hill is mentioned in the preview.

- The trip skip feature can be used here to skip the long cab ride to the location.

- A law film called Goldberg, Ligner and Shyster is in the game.

- Niko enters an internet cafe and uploads his CV (curriculum vitæ), also known as a résumé, to get an interview with and to kill Goldberg. Niko goes to the Tw@ Cafe, a place that was originally in GTA III. The magazine says that "GTA IV's web is accessible from any computer in the game, and provides a hub for all sorts of interactivity within Liberty City. The extent of GTA IV's World Wide Web use is still being kept under wraps, but we're promised that it's huge, and very, very important."

- Niko receives a phone call after he sends his CV.

- A place called Castle Gardens is where Niko goes to see a person named McReary. The place is a "coast-side hangout overlooking The Statue of Happiness."

- Niko knows about where a man he has to kill is standing, but in order to make sure, he calls the man and sees who gets a phone out. He identifies the person and kills him.

- In terms of wanted level and police artificial intelligence, "any crime you commit will give you a wanted level." However, "instead of the cops just screaming to your position, the star rating you're 'awarded' translates to a visible search area on the radar. If you manage to escape the circular search area then your wanted level will flash and disappear. If you're spotted, though, the center of the circle changes to your position, and you have to start again."

- "In GTA IV, every single street is named (as opposed to just the districts), and the police use this information to track down criminals. If you're spotted on Star Junction in a Comet, for example, you'll hear it on the police radio. Escape the police's line of sight, however, and the ball's suddenly in your court."

- A store called Perseus is a new clothing retailer in the GTA world that, in the preview, sold Niko a suit and shoes.

The mobile phone can be used to gain weapons. In the demo that GamesTM saw, Niko calls his associate Little Jacob, who is a caribbean arms dealer. No more Ammu-Nation it seems. After a brief chat with Jacob, he tells Niko to meet him in an alleyway in Rotterdam Hill, where he purchases the weapons from him.

Niko can use taxis to get around (presumably he can use the phone to call a taxi). The police are much more vigilant in GTA IV, and sometimes it is less hassle using a taxi than jacking someone's car. The trip-skip option is available for convenience.

In the demo, Niko recieves a call concerning "shady lawyer" Goldberg, of Goldberg, Ligner & Shyster (GLS). Niko can use the internet in GTA4. He heads over to an internet café called the "Tw@ Café," and hops onto a PC before surfing. He uploads his CV to the GLS website so he can get an interview - before killing Goldberg. He receives a phonecall confirming the time of his interview. The web is available from any computer in the game, and provides a hub for all sorts of interactivity within Liberty City.

Missions in GTA IV can be interrupted. The interview isn't until tomorrow, which means you can carry out other business until then. This suggests you can be do several missions at the same time, and missions can take place over several days, perhaps.

Next in the demo, Niko pays a visit to somebody called McReary, at Castle Gardens, a coast-side hangout overlooking the Statue of Hapiness. McReary has had a memory stick stolen from him which contains sensitive data, and he wants Niko to retrieve it for him. He takes another cab to the meeting point, where the target is standing amongst a crowd of people. The problem is he doesn't know which one it is, so he gives him a call to see which one picks up their phone. Niko shoots the target three times in the back of the head, before taking the memory stick and making a run for it. He gains a three-star wanted level as a result.

Committing crimes isn't as easy in GTA IV. You gain a wanted level for every crime you commit, aslong as there are witnesses present. Once you have gained a wanted level, a visible (circular) search area appears on the radar, and if you escape this area without being spotted, your wanted level will flash and disappear. If you are spotted, however, the search area's position changes, and centers on where you were last spotted. So unlike previous GTA games, the police don't always know where you are. They can't catch you unless they find you first. It was confirmed previously that in GTA IV every street will be named, and this is what cops use to communicate when they are tracking you down. There are no Pay N' Spray's to save you this time, unfortunately.

Before heading off to the interview, Niko goes to a menswear store called Perseus. After spending $2,000 on a new suit and shoes, his phone alarm sounds and he begins his journey to the GLS offices for his interview. He speaks to the receptionist from outside the building via intercom, before making his way into the building. He enters Goldeberg's office and puts a bullet in his head, which causes his secretary to trigger the alarm. Niko must beat security guards and police in order to get out of the building. Bullets rain down on him, and there's a police chopper waiting outside. It seems as though the more bullets he takes, the more damage he takes, and hence he becomes less able to fight. The damage is visible.

*drool*

bengraven

So it sounds like they finally added third person shooting controls similar to Saint's Row or Mercs, so I'm down with that.

Lock on aiming is the only reason I didn't get very far in Tomb Raider: Legend. It's irritating as ****.

dsunit1 said:

Now that is cool. Sounds like the cops will no longer magically know where you are regardless of where you hide.

EDIT:

BadAss84 said:

Okay, so that's exactly what it is.

I wonder if this means no more bribe icons. Those might be superfluous if you can just hide anywhere.

And no Pay 'N Sprays? That's a big change but I can live with it.

How big will this world be in relation to SA? SA was just so big and inconvenient, and while I want this game to be equally as big (or bigger), I also want there to be enough interesting content to justify its size.

ChrisD84

Night_Trekker said:
Now that is cool. Sounds like the cops will no longer magically know where you are regardless of where you hide.

Yeah, that definately sounds great.

There seems to be so many improvements in this one, i can't wait to play it :D

dsunit1 said:
nice, first GTA i'll be buying. the others didn't do much for me.

I want this.

NOW!

Seriously, I can definitely see why they're going with the IV moniker. This isn't just another Grand Theft Auto, it's as big of a leap forward for the series as GTA III was in 2001.

Eh don't really care about the lack of pay & sprays as I never used them in the past GTA games.

Everything else sounds gravy of course.

Top Bottom