• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes interview with George Harrison of NoA

argon

http://www.forbes.com/technology/2007/07/12/games-nintendo-wii-tech-cx_0712nintendo.html

Forbes.com sat down with Nintendo's Harrison at the Loews Hotel in Santa Monica to talk about catering to Nintendo's new, grayer fan-base, the appeal of exercise games and original storylines, and just how Nintendo intends to get enough boxes into retail stores in time for the holiday season.

Forbes.com: Why is it taking so long for Nintendo to make its online game-play system as strong as Sony's or Microsoft's? People want to play Wii Sports with friends and strangers across the world.

George Harrison: People's ideas of playing online hinges on existing gamers. It means playing Halo in a massively multi-player way. The online experience doesn't have to be as narrow as that. If what you want is an aggressive game you can play online with your friends, maybe the Wii isn't the best fit for that. In our attitude there are a lot more people in our new expanded audience than there are traditional gamers. We think there's a social aspect in real life, in your living room for Wii sports. That said, we do have online games coming.

Gamers older than 25 now account for 32% of all your sales. Female players make up 33% of your audience, but only 20% of your competitors.' What are you doing to reach these people, and how will you keep them interested?

We used to buy TV ad time that addressed consumers ages 6 to 17. But for Wii, we spent most of our money on adults 25 to 49, leaning toward women. For the first time ever you'd see videogame advertising on programs like Dancing with the Stars. We used to put a lot of emphasis on sampling in the stores with retailers. But we thought that adults would not go into the videogame aisle--and if they did, they'd see five teenagers huddled around a demo machine, and it would be off-putting. So we brought it into the malls. We sent a few units to Norwegian Cruise Lines--we didn't know what would happen. They reported huge lines of people waiting to play. Now there's a Wii on every Norweigan cruise ship. We had to find a way to get non-gamers to play.

Many of your games are from old, familiar franchises. Are we going to see any new story lines, characters and intellectual property from Nintendo coming down the pipeline?

One of Nintendo's most valuable assets for our business is our franchise characters. We're going to continue to use them. I think a lot of people underestimate just how hard it is to create a new character. We've been successful at spinning off characters. In terms of a complete breakaway into new IP--the introduction of brain-games a couple of years ago for the DS was a radical departure. You saw Wii Fit introduced--that was the most unusual game unveiled at E3! In terms of fictional stories--we're augmenting what we do. We're changing our thinking about what defines a viable piece of entertainment software.

Fitness as a gaming genre isn't entirely new. What inspired the new Wii Fit game?

As [game designer Shigeru] Miyamoto ages, this has been his personal experience, to want to be healthier. We've also seen games moving toward this idea, such as Dance Dance Revolution. But even Nintendo had a Power Pad for the floor back in the 1980s. Physically engaging interfaces have been around for a while. In the 1990s, Nintendo had a relationship with Life Fitness, which made exercise bikes. We made a game for their stationary bikes back then.

Is the limited supply of Wiis at retail a sign that Nintendo is artificially restricting the number of units, or is this all that Nintendo's manufacturing process can bear? Is this a strategy?

This is the limit of our production right now. Since our business of selling hardware is not flat over the year--it goes way up around the holidays--we try to strike a balance with our parts suppliers. They'd rather have to make the same number of parts each month. Our total inventory is only 2 1/2 weeks worth of supply. A normal supply would be six weeks. Right now we're living hand to mouth, and it's not clear that we're going to get on top of that in time for the holidays.

Many people say that you're lucky to have this problem. Isn't there also a downside?

The scarcity has been a benefit because the desirability of Wii remains high. We do get concerned that while existing gamers are going to run from store to store every day looking for one, we're not sure that this new expanded audience will. They're interested, but they're not going to spend their lives searching for it. They might give up for a while, but we don't think they're going to say, "Gee, I can't find a Wii, so now I can go pay $600 for a PS3 instead." It's not that kind of a trade-off. At our New York City store at Rockefeller Center, we put out 50 to 75 units per day. We open at 9 a.m., but every day people are lined up at 5 a.m. We're sold out by 10 a.m. every day.

Georgy said:
George Harrison: People's ideas of playing online hinges on existing gamers. It means playing Halo in a massively multi-player way. The online experience doesn't have to be as narrow as that. If what you want is an aggressive game you can play online with your friends, maybe the Wii isn't the best fit for that. In our attitude there are a lot more people in our new expanded audience than there are traditional gamers. We think there's a social aspect in real life, in your living room for Wii sports. That said, we do have online games coming.

beef3483

In terms of fictional stories--we're augmenting what we do. We're changing our thinking about what defines a viable piece of entertainment software.

What he just said right here, scares me to death. I love Zelda, and I have been waiting for a very long time for Nintendo to start a new IP with similar aspects. My thinking all along has been as long as I got my Zelda, Mario, and Metroid, everything else is cake. If they start f*cking with this, I will quit gaming.

X26

Banned
Forbes.com: Why is it taking so long for Nintendo to make its online game-play system as strong as Sony's or Microsoft's? People want to play Wii Sports with friends and strangers across the world.

I'm amazed so many nintendo fans are in such denial despite quotes such as this

medrew

beef3483 said:
What he just said right here, scares me to death. I love Zelda, and I have been waiting for a very long time for Nintendo to start a new IP with similar aspects. My thinking all along has been as long as I got my Zelda, Mario, and Metroid, everything else is cake. If they start f*cking with this, I will quit gaming.

We've got Zelda, why do you want them to do a similar game? I'd prefer they tried something different.
What he said seems to apply more to a Pikmin as opposed to Wii Fit or Brain Training as he said they're increasing their fictional stories. I don't see those two being fictional story based games.

medrew said:
We've got Zelda, why do you want them to do a similar game? I'd prefer they tried something different.
What he said seems to apply more to a Pikmin as opposed to Wii Fit or Brain Training as he said they're increasing their fictional stories. I don't see those two being fictional story based games.
dontstealthisavatar.gif

YYZ

In regards to the online gaming question, he basically said "Our audience is more casual than hardcore now and we aren't focusing on making an online that caters to the hardcore since casual gamers play together more face to face."

It's odd that they're making Mario Kart online and yet SSBB gets the shaft. Did they think only hardcore players will want to play online with SSBB and Mario Kart will be more widely popular? I don't like what Reggie said about newcomers being able to easily keep up with an expert.

Vagabundo

beef3483 said:

He said augment not replace.

What they are saying basically to their former user base: "Fucck off, we're making games for old folks and soccer moms."

That's what I get from that.

karasu

One of Nintendo's most valuable assets for our business is our franchise characters. We're going to continue to use them. I think a lot of people underestimate just how hard it is to create a new character. We've been successful at spinning off characters. In terms of a complete breakaway into new IP--the introduction of brain-games a couple of years ago for the DS was a radical departure. You saw Wii Fit introduced--that was the most unusual game unveiled at E3! In terms of fictional stories--we're augmenting what we do. We're changing our thinking about what defines a viable piece of entertainment software

:lol :lol

Vagabundo

X26 said:

What are you talking about? Shock: Nintendo will not make gory online FPS blastfests?

Nintendo have their own style with games, it is not a shocker that they does do that style.

He said they are focusing on offline multiple and online games are in the works.

There are third parties to produce fps deathmatch spectaculars.

PkunkFury

X26 said:

how many Nintendo fans are talking up Wii online? We pretty much know what to expect. Most of us are doubting Brawl will be online

As for this interview, it's really on the mark. You can tell the guy asking the questions is an actual gamer, and not just a casual business journo

It's odd that they're making Mario Kart online and yet SSBB gets the shaft.

No, it's not. have you ever programmed an onilne game?

Vagabundo said:
What are you talking about? Shock: Nintendo will not make gory online FPS blastfests?

Nintendo have their own style with games, it is not a shocker that they does do that style.

He said they are focusing on offline multiple and online games are in the works.

There are third parties to produce fps deathmatch spectaculars.
Are you that blind? Is that what you think all those other games out there offer? Look at the amount of games on 360 and PS3 that are not FPS.

And g...go play metroids! And shootem people pls!

argon said:
George Harrison: If what you want is an aggressive game you can play online with your friends, maybe the Wii isn't the best fit for that.

What in the hell does that have to do with the question that was asked?

I really wish there was a rule where an interviewer can just pop a guy in the face when they spew that kind of sidewinding doublespeak.

Jesus christ I hate PR guys.

Vagabundo

CrushDance said:
Are you that blind? Is that what you think all those other games out there offer? Look at the amount of games on 360 and PS3 that are not FPS.

And g...go play metroids! And shootem people pls!

Not what I was responding too.

If what you want is an aggressive game you can play online with your friends, maybe the Wii isn't the best fit for that.

With the limited information in X25s quote I had to guess what he was alluding too.

And I am currently happy to have online where it fits, I am playing strikers online.

I like the fact that nintendo are focusing on offline multiplayer, they others arnt and in my opinion will pay dearly for it in market share.

beef3483

Vagabundo said:
He said augment not replace.

It would be incredibly stupid, even for him, to say "replace". I'm just worried that through all his bullshit PR speak, augment could mean the same thing.

PkunkFury

Uremifasolasiututut said:
What in the hell does that have to do with the question that was asked?

I really wish there was a rule where an interviewer can just pop a guy in the face when they spew that kind of sidewinding doublespeak.

Jesus christ I hate PR guys.

WTF? It's an honest answer. The Wii does not have something that competes with Halo. And Nintendo themselves aren't bringing anything that will. It was an honest answer, and well spun to illustrate why Nintendo isn't offering this.

George harrison is one of the best in PR, he's very up front. I'll be sad to see him go. This interview has no BS. He could of said "Well we have Mario Strikers from our million game selling Mario Sprts franchise already out in Europe!" This is the Jack Tretton on CNBC style response that we don't need

the question:

Why is it taking so long for Nintendo to make its online game-play system as strong as Sony's or Microsoft's? People want to play Wii Sports with friends and strangers across the world.

the answer:

People's ideas of playing online hinges on existing gamers. It means playing Halo in a massively multi-player way. The online experience doesn't have to be as narrow as that.

("as strong as Sony's or Microsoft's" is a construct based around what Sony and Microsoft have released as online games, a construct we don't quite agree with)

If what you want is an aggressive game you can play online with your friends, maybe the Wii isn't the best fit for that.

(No, we are not offering those types of games, look on another system)

In our attitude there are a lot more people in our new expanded audience than there are traditional gamers. We think there's a social aspect in real life, in your living room for Wii sports.

(Why aren't we offering those games? Because unlike what you've stated, we found our consumer base prefers a focus on social gaming in the home)

That said, we do have online games coming.

(However, we are bringing some online games in the future, but based on my previous comments, expect them to go in different directions than the competitiors)

It's cut and ****ing dry

legend166

This thread should be interesting.

I mean, Harrison, much like Kaplan and the rest of the executives at Nintendo really have no bearing on what type of games Nintendo develops or how they do it.

Vagabundo

PkunkFury said:
the answer:

People's ideas of playing online hinges on existing gamers. It means playing Halo in a massively multi-player way. The online experience doesn't have to be as narrow as that.

("as strong as Sony's or Microsoft's" is a construct based around what Sony and Microsoft have released as online games, a construct we don't quite agree with)

(No, we arre not offering those types of games, look on another system)

In our attitude there are a lot more people in our new expanded audience than there are traditional gamers. We think there's a social aspect in real life, in your living room for Wii sports.

(Why aren't we offering those games? Because unlike what you've stated, we found our consumer base prefers a focus on social gaming in the home)

(However, we are bringing some online games in the future, but based on my previous comments, expect them to go in different directions than the competitiors)

It's cut and ****ing dry

Very good summery for the comprehensionly challenged.

kottila

PkunkFury said:
WTF? It's an honest answer. The Wii does not have something that competes with Halo. And Nintendo themselves aren't bringing anything that will. It was an honest answer, and well spun to illustrate why Nintendo isn't offering this.

George harrison is one of the best in PR, he's very up front. I'll be sad to see him go. This interview has no BS. He could of said "Well we have Mario Strikers from our million game selling Mario Sprts franchise already out in Europe!" This is the Jack Tretton on CNBC style response that we don't need

the question:

Why is it taking so long for Nintendo to make its online game-play system as strong as Sony's or Microsoft's? People want to play Wii Sports with friends and strangers across the world.

the answer:

It's cut and ****ing dry

With their strategy, nintendo is leaving a wide open gap for third partys to fill.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Listening to US Nintendo execs to have information about Nintendo strategy?

LOL

Anyway like many people, bought a Wii to get the Nintendo exclusives (missed them A LOT during the gamecube era) and the rest is all bonus. Seeing the install base so far I think third parties will devellop a lot on Wii. Now if Nintendo can draw soccer moms and others to videogame, that's good for the industry.

PkunkFury said:
It's cut and ****ing dry

Well then I must be reading into this question incorrectly, as it sounded more like a technical question - ie: Why aren't there more online Nintendo Wii titles/isn't there a more established online service (feature wise)? George didn't really address that, other than a passing allusion to it in the last sentence.

PkunkFury

Well then I must be reading into this question incorrectly, as it sounded more like a technical question - ie: Why aren't there more online Nintendo Wii titles/isn't there a more established online service (feature wise)? George didn't really address that, other than a passing allusion to it in the last sentence.

good point, but he's still basically giving the same answer. Nintendo aren't setting up a system similar to what the competitors are offering, because they have found most of their audience isn't looking for that. He comes right out and suggests to by the another system if that's what you are looking for.

Seems more like he misunderstood the question if that is indeed what it's about, but I bet the answer would've been the same

PkunkFury

Oblivion said:
Yup, a ton. It's not THAT hard. Nintendo's just being lazy.

Smash brothers is a fast, four player fighter that uses levels with multiple platforms and items. Would you like to do prediction for a game like that? There's much more variability in the game than in any other fighter currently online, and they would still want to get the timing as good as the timing in hardcore fighters. Very few people are satisfied with traditional fighting games online at the moment. Smash just complicates things further. At least I'm sure you can agree that making Mariokart or any other racer online is a good 10 times easier. Especially for a company who has little experience with online gaming, like Nintendo.

It's certainly possible, but you can bet that Nintendo also wants it to work well if they're going to do it. My point is not that Smash bros online couldn't or shouldn't be done. Hell I will be pissed if it's not online since I love the game. My point is that there's a reason mario Kart would be put online instead that does not involve Nintendo favoring casual games

Sakurai specifically stated that he would try to make it online, and it might have to be in another way back when the game was announced. Smash may still be online, it hasn't been denied either, and they have 97 updates and TGS still to come. But I'm sure if it is online it will be nuetered

PkunkFury said:
good point, but he's still basically giving the same answer. Nintendo aren't setting up a system similar to what the competitors are offering, because they have found most of their audience isn't looking for that. He comes right out and suggests to by the another system if that's what you are looking for.

Seems more like he misunderstood the question if that is indeed what it's about, but I bet the answer would've been the same

But has their audience ever had it? How do they know that their audience doesn't want it if they have never had it? Personally, I want it. I'm sure many others do.

I don't understand why they don't want to give the customer the choice. If it's a money/logistics thing (most likely), I wish they would just come out and say, "We don't feel the cost is warranted." There. Done.

But we all know that doesn't happen in real life.

NotWii

Banned
We're changing our thinking about what defines a viable piece of entertainment software.
What a stupid thing to say, and he's a stupid person for saying it, it does not even represent Nintendo's attitude.
Iwata has stated many times that they see both hardcore and casual games as viable pieces of entertainment software.

Oblivion said:
Yup, a ton. It's not THAT hard. Nintendo's just being lazy.
Wow, have you even played smash?
To sync up a 4 player match around the globe would be near impossible with the amount of interaction between players, items and environment the game demands.
If they can get a 2 player match working without lag, I would be happy.

The real answer here is that NoA knows jack about where Nintendo is headed, and is but the dog at the leash of NoJ, well, alright... Iwata. He [Harrison] pretty much side-steps all the questions about actual games -- online and new IPs -- but he can actually answer the questions on availability, public perception, and marketing with actual due sincerity. Still, that's his job, and he isn't that bad at it.

NotWii

Banned
Tim the Wiz said:
but can answer the questions on availability, public perception, and marketing.
They're not even doing that properly. Twilight Princess would've sold a gazillion units, if that were true.

Now let's wait for Metroid Prime 3 to get overlooked like Metroid Primes 1 & 2, and another terrible commercial for Mario Galaxy.

Mar

I'm not sure online is really that important. At least for the audience they are aiming for, and me. When I want to play a console it's usually a single player game. Sure, some games will be awesome for online, such as Mario Kart. But otherwise, I'm fine with Nintendo's current online strategy.

PkunkFury

But has their audience ever had it? How do they know that their audience doesn't want it if they have never had it? Personally, I want it. I'm sure many others do.

I don't understand why they don't want to give the customer the choice. If it's a money/logistics thing (most likely), I wish they would just come out and say, "We don't feel the cost is warranted." There. Done.

But we all know that doesn't happen in real life.

they are probably doing market research, and it's pretty obvious they are right. They also take into account sales of their products and sales of competing products with robust online, use of nintendo Wifi, vs. use of Live, etc. All of this compares favorably with their current strategy. it's in this part here:

"In our attitude there are a lot more people in our new expanded audience than there are traditional gamers. We think there's a social aspect in real life, in your living room for Wii sports. That said, we do have online games coming."

He's indicating that they've discovered interest for this feature in the hardcore, but not in the casual. Wii Sports, the game asked about in the question, was geared entirely towards the casual. Market data dictates that adding online to this game would not have helped it much, it will be a hit reguardless...

They do have online games coming, they are experimenting with offering this stuff. They'll proceed based on the results. And that's exactly what they're doing. Anyone who expects Wii Live to spring up overnight will be holding their breathe for a long time, and thats exactly what the answer indicates. It's a huge step up from "Online is a fad" or "We have an awesome online system coming just you wait and see delay... delay... delay..."

NotWii

Banned
Mar_ said:
I'm not sure online is really that important. At least for the audience they are aiming for, and me. When I want to play a console it's usually a single player game. Sure, some games will be awesome for online, such as Mario Kart. But otherwise, I'm fine with Nintendo's current online strategy.
I think their online service is ok for now, but I absolutely detest friend codes and the lack of a community.
Imagine how fun the internet would be if you couldn't chat, bitch about games on forums, etc.

PkunkFury

Wii said:
I think their online service is ok for now, but I absolutely detest friend codes and the lack of a community.
Imagine how fun the internet would be if you couldn't chat, bitch about games on forums, etc.

I'd get a lot more work done :|

friendcodes for the internets 2008!

karasu

PkunkFury said:
the question:

the answer:

It's cut and ****ing dry

But the interviewer didn't say ANYTHING about violent ggressive game. The only game he mentioned specifically was Wii Sports, and that has nothing to do with competing against Halo or the type of gaming that Harrison mentioned.

PkunkFury

karasu said:
But the interviewer didn't say ANYTHING about violent ggressive game. The only game he mentioned specifically was Wii Sports, and that has nothing to do with competing against Halo or the type of gaming that Harrison mentioned.

you're right

George harisson is a terrible PR tool. He twisted all of these innocent interview questions into sugar coated Nintendo gum drops.

sorry I got in the way

karasu

PkunkFury said:
you're right

George harisson is a terrible PR tool. He twisted all of these innocent interview questions into sugar coated Nintendo gum drops.

sorry I got in the way

jesus:lol

PkunkFury said:
you're right

sorry I got in the way

Look guy, I'm not trying to "win" this argument, as many people seem to want to do. You are certainly entitled to interpret things as you see fit, and I'm not going to castrate you for seeing things differently.

It is more just me venting my frustrations about Nintendo. I feel they have so much potential, and when I see issues side-stepped like this it rubs me the wrong way.

Top Bottom