• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes interview with George Harrison of NoA

PkunkFury

Uremifasolasiututut said:
Look guy, I'm not trying to "win" this argument, as many people seem to want to do. You are certainly entitled to interpret things as you see fit, and I'm not going to castrate you for seeing things differently.

It is more just me venting my frustrations about Nintendo. I feel they have so much potential, and when I see issues side-stepped like this it rubs me the wrong way.

sorry, that comment wasn't directed at you. I see your point and it upsets me too. I just don't see it as side stepping. I see it as Harrison flat out saying they aren't prioritizing online because their new audience isn't demanding it. but I guess we'll have to disagree here.

It still sucks for me, since I'd also like to play Nintendo games online. but i see it as an honest answer which is infinitely better than the "online is a fad" stuff they used to say.

medrew

karasu said:
But the interviewer didn't say ANYTHING about violent ggressive game. The only game he mentioned specifically was Wii Sports, and that has nothing to do with competing against Halo or the type of gaming that Harrison mentioned.

He answered the question, just in a convoluted way.

- People's idea of online = Massive multiplayer games like Halo
- Says if you want this then consider other consoles at the moment
- Wii Sports is a social game more suitable for the living room with other people in the room. (probably comes back to depth in some ways, would Wii Sports lend itself to that online experience people expect?)
- Online games coming. More in line with what people expect (Mario Kart with expanded people. Mario Strikers with more in depth gameplay and EA's games etc)

I don't think he means aggressive as in violent, but in a competitive, ranking sense that a community builds on.

Somehow I doubt Nintendo will bring a full experience this gen. Huge shock there, I know.

George Harrison: People's ideas of playing online hinges on existing gamers. It means playing Halo in a massively multi-player way. The online experience doesn't have to be as narrow as that. If what you want is an aggressive game you can play online with your friends, maybe the Wii isn't the best fit for that. In our attitude there are a lot more people in our new expanded audience than there are traditional gamers. We think there's a social aspect in real life, in your living room for Wii sports. That said, we do have online games coming.

Well, at least he's honest.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
medrew said:
He answered the question, just in a convoluted way.

- People's idea of online = Massive multiplayer games like Halo
- Says if you want this then consider other consoles at the moment
- Wii Sports is a social game more suitable for the living room with other people in the room. (probably comes back to depth in some ways, would Wii Sports lend itself to that online experience people expect?)
- Online games coming. More in line with what people expect (Mario Kart with expanded people. Mario Strikers with more in depth gameplay and EA's games etc)

Messaging, Text and Voice Chat (in-game and out of the game), easy and streamlined process to add or delete people to or from your friends list, (LIVE) universal friends list, easy game invites, etc...

It is not about what multiplayer games are present or not, but about the INTERFACE that connects each Wii to a global network of other Wii and the Wii users to the global Wii community.

How can this NOT apply to games such as Wii Sports for example ? Games that can be played by more than one person can benefit from an online option 8and I mean option, you should be able to choose between online and local multiplayer) generally.

You might say that it is more enjoyable to have those people right near you rather than somewhere else and having to use a headset to communicate with them, but basically when you have a multiplayer game having the other players Wii remotes' inputs coming from directly connected Wii remotes or from remotely connected Wii remotes becomes really only a technical problem (you have to be able to adjust for network latency).

I do not think it is a problem of technology or inexperience, I think that games like Wii Sports are intentionally focused on local multiplayer because they want to stress the KEY point of playing with Wii... playing it TOGETHER and evidently they feel that sometimes playing it with other people online adds a layer of separation between the players (however thin it might be) that changes the experience in a subtle but perhaps (for them) meaningful way.

I still say that you should give people CHOICE: "do you want to play local multiplayer matches (like we intended you to) or do you want to play online multiplayer matches (which we allow and which we have optimized to hide latency issues as much as possible) ? Either choice is just a click away!".

Anyway, online games will come, I am quite sure of it, but I still dislike the Friend Codes system and the two way forced mechanism to add friends to your Friends List.

Tom_Cody

MutFox said:
OK, YOU make a GOOD new character that appeals to the masses.

.jpg

It's not hard to make new characters at all. Just add a few sparks to this thing and you'll have a million seller for sure.

Top Bottom