• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What upcoming DS games should I be excited about?

Clipjoint

I recently picked up a DS, and I've just about played out the games I wanted to play (EBA, Starfox, Children of Mana, FF3, NSMB, Planet Puzzle League, Castlevania, and Mario Kart)

What are the games that I should be keeping an eye out for in the next 2-3 months for the DS? What games are you personally excited about?

Nolan.

I'm just finishing phoenix wright and am looking forward to the next. Also professor layton seems interesting.

ethelred

For me... Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker, Professor Layton, Tingle RPG, Front Mission, Phoenix Wright, Anno 1701, Zelda. Panzer Tactics, too, if it ever comes out.

Birbo

I'm looking forward to Worms Open Warfare 2. Was supposed to come out yesterday, but looks like it's pushed back 'til next month. :( Online play FTW.

ex0du5

Banned
Zelda, Contra 4, Final Fantasy IV (please don't destroy Amano's artwork...please!!!).

Also, pick up Pokemon Diamon/Pearl for the time being. I've never been that much of a Pokemon fan, and I haven't played or watched the show since 1998 or so (the first season of the show, and Red/Blue). This game is a blast though, and there's an insane amount of things to do. I'd definitely pick it up if I were you.

Clipjoint

ex0du5 said:
Zelda, Contra 4, Final Fantasy IV (please don't destroy Amano's artwork...please!!!).

Also, pick up Pokemon Diamon/Pearl for the time being. I've never been that much of a Pokemon fan, and I haven't played or watched the show since 1998 or so (the first season of the show, and Red/Blue). This game is a blast though, and there's an insane amount of things to do. I'd definitely pick it up if I were you.

Really? I've never been a Pokemon fan at all - is the gameplay good enough where that's not an issue?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
Luminous Arc
Rune Factory
Glory Days II
Heroes of Mana
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
Mega Man ZX Advent
Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword
Professor Layton
Tingle RPG (if released stateside)
Front Mission
Phoenix Wright: AA - Trials and Tribulations
Anno 1701 (if released stateside)
Contra 4
Bleach: Blade of Fate
Sonic Rush Adventure
Dementium: The Ward
Geometry Wars: Galaxies
Dragon Quest IV
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest VI
Advance Wars DS 2
Orcs & Elves
It's a Wonderful World
Dragon Quest IX
Panzer Tactics
Sonic RPG
Viva Pinata DS
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
Tales of Innocence
Final Fantasy IV
Nanostray 2
Super Dodge Ball
ASH
Final Fantasy Tactics A2

Rlan

Donkey Kong: Jungle Climber? I liked the original but it may end up being a tad short.

Could be good at it's original price, but could be a great pick-up at $20 or lower.

ethelred

Visualante said:
Zelda and Layton is required gaming.
The rest is very niche or just plain average IMO.

That's a pretty ridiculous statement. There are very high quality games coming in just about every other genre besides action-adventure and puzzle-adventure. Not every genre besides those two is niche, and not every upcoming game in those genres is just average.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
jj984jj said:
Dragon Quest IV
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest VI

Have these actually been given Stateside release dates yet? I know "Winter" has been bounded about for IV but I thought that was for Japan.

Wollan

34421.jpg

http://www.dvdcrave.com.au/products/product.jsp?pid=34421

Johnas

SovanJedi said:
Have these actually been given Stateside release dates yet? I know "Winter" has been bounded about for IV but I thought that was for Japan.

They haven't, but I think it's safe to say they'll turn up here. I'm hoping maybe IV comes around in the spring at the latest.

Avalon

Contra 4, Front Mission, Zelda: Phantom Hourglass... not sure about Professor Layton, I'll read up on a bit more.

jj984jj

SovanJedi said:
No they haven't been officially confirmed for a NA release, I'm just using this opportunity to update my list of DS games I'm keeping an eye on. :lol

Rlan

Ooo! Also, Drawn to Life looks exceedingly good and far better than anyone would expect it to be. Looks like an incredibly competent platform game with a lot of features - most outside of the 'drawing' gimmick.

drawn-to-life-20070711004953731.jpg

TiVo

jj984jj said:
Luminous Arc
Rune Factory
Heroes of Mana
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
Mega Man ZX Advent
Professor Layton
Tingle RPG (if released stateside)
Front Mission
Phoenix Wright: AA - Trials and Tribulations
Anno 1701 (if released stateside)
Contra 4
Bleach: Blade of Fate
Sonic Rush Adventure
Dementium: The Ward
Geometry Wars: Galaxies
Dragon Quest IV
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest VI
Advance Wars DS 2
Orcs & Elves
It's a Wonderful World
Dragon Quest IX
Sonic RPG
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
Tales of Innocence
Final Fantasy IV
ASH
Final Fantasy Tactics A2

In addition to the above you need to get the ones already out.

Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Animal Crossing: Wild World
Brain Age: Train Your Brain In Minutes A Day
Brothers In Arms: War Stories
Clubhouse Games
Contact
Cooking Mama
Custom Robo Arena
Diddy Kong Racing DS
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
Etrian Odyssey
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales
Freedom Wings
Hoshigami Remix: Running Blue
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja
Kirby Canvas Curse
Kirby: Squeak Squad
Lost in Blue
Lost in Blue 2
Lunar Knights
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
Mega Man ZX
Meteos
Meteos: Disney Magic
Metroid Prime Hunters
New York Times Crosswords, The
Nintendogs
Pokémon: Pearl/Diamond
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice For All
Picross DS
Pokémon: Diamond
Puzzle Quest: Warlords
QuickSpot
Sim City DS
SNK vs. Capcom Card Fighters DS
Star Trek: Tactical Assault
Super Princess Peach DS
Tank Beat
Tenchu: Dark Secret
Tetris DS
Theme Park
Touch Detective
Trauma Center: Under the Knife

And many more.

jj984jj

TiVo said:
Brain Age: Train Your Brain In Minutes A Day
Brothers In Arms: War Stories
Clubhouse Games
Cooking Mama
Custom Robo Arena
Diddy Kong Racing DS
Freedom Wings
Hoshigami Remix: Running Blue
Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja
Lost in Blue
Lost in Blue 2
Meteos: Disney Magic
New York Times Crosswords, The
Nintendogs
QuickSpot
Sim City DS
SNK vs. Capcom Card Fighters DS
Star Trek: Tactical Assault
Tank Beat
Tenchu: Dark Secret
Theme Park
Touch Detective
These games don't mix with my list.

ethelred said:
Not every genre besides those two is niche, and not every upcoming game in those genres is just average.
I didn't say this. However in the current list posted I think that the games are either average or niche. Contra 4 is undeniably a AAA portable game- but I still think it's niche. The same applies to Ninja Gaiden and various others in the list.
I would have added Sonic but I've lost faith.

Unless you already know you want these games- chances are you don't.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Nice to see a full list of upcoming games (major games, anyways).

Games I'll purchase...

Contra 4
Sonic Rush Adventure
It's a Wonderful World (thinking about it)
Sonic RPG
Tales of Innocence

Not bad.

Mallika

Coming out in the next few months, these are the games that I'm really excited about:

Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon
Luminous Arc
Freshly Picked: Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Professor Layton
Dragon Quest Monsters Joker

E-phonk

Banned
I'll just add simpsons DS to the list. It has a bunch of parodies of other popular DS games (like nintendogs), and supposedly solid 2D platforming. Also, it looks purty.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Johnas said:
They haven't, but I think it's safe to say they'll turn up here. I'm hoping maybe IV comes around in the spring at the latest.

Oh, my apologies - I thought this was all specifically about games due out this year. I wasn't questioning the notion that they might (or might not) come out in English.

In hindsight that's probably a good thing I'm clear on that now, this collection of game names would make my wallet cry
if I hadn't already lost it last week. ;_;

vareon

It looks like Phantom Hourglass won by default here.

Also on my interest list : ASH, FFXII Revenant Wings, DQIX, FFIV, Layton, Ninja Gaiden, Subarashi kono sekai, Tales of Innocence. Wallet am cry.

But too many RPGs in my list I think o_O

vareon said:
It looks like Phantom Hourglass won by default here.

Also on my interest list : ASH, FFXII Revenant Wings, DQIX, FFIV, Layton, Ninja Gaiden, Subarashi kono sekai, Tales of Innocence. Wallet am cry.

But too many RPGs in my list I think o_O

Buy TaT

Steeven

I really hope Konami comes with another Castlevania DS soon, Dawn of Sorrow really brought me back into gaming somehow.

I'm looking forward to Zelda and Contra 4. Worms sounds kinda interesting too, not sure about that one.

Other games I would pick up for half the price are Sim City, Theme Park (ah what great times I had with this one on the PC) Anno 1701 and maybe Settlers.

JKBii

Although the DS is my favorite platform right now, and I play it more than I've played a lot of things in the past, I have to say that you should watch out for list wars. There were a lot of games I was hyped for on the DS that didn't stack up when they came out. Mage Knight, Lost Magic, Izuna, Children of Mana, and Magical Starsign spring to mind. The touchscreen doesn't make bad games good, so you should wait for reviews before jumping into some games.

By the way, I'm hearing some negative things about Heroes of Mana which is a game I was really looking forward to. Has anybody played it?

Top Bottom