• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Marathon Should Shift to a Helldivers 2 Model

JCreasy

Early impressions from Tarkov players who tested Marathon were reportedly underwhelming. This is a grave concern given that mainstream non-Tarkov-playing observers were ALSO underwhelmed when the project was announced as an extraction shooter modeled after Tarkov.

Who is this game for?

No one has emerged to cheerlead the gameplay choice here. Sentiment has mostly been, “I guess I’ll try it out. It’s Bungie.”

The one thing that’s been universally praised is the art direction seen in the teaser trailer. The visuals are what everyone is excited about. No surprise seeing as this is where Bungie historically excels.

Enter highly successful Helldivers 2, which owes much of its success to its embrace of PvE. That intentional choice, with inherent mainstream appeal, has driven its popularity even further than anyone originally imagined.

There’s a clear signal here that Bungie should consider. If non-Tarkov fans weren’t excited about the actual gameplay announcement, and Tarkov fans weren’t excited about Bungie’s interpretation of Tarkov, new Marathon feels DOA.

Bungie should pivot instead of trying to force something on the market no one wants. I would be genuinely excited to play something Helldivers 2-style with all the brilliant art direction and energy of a AAA Bungie game. I would buy all the skins. All the cyberpunk armor. All the sci-fi weapons.

And they should borrow liberally. I would buy this version of Marathon just to see Bungie-designed stratagems.

And now, Gaf, I await your response . . .

caa57f4e324e36105117911357a24188b0506499.gifv

Human AI

Banned
It is generally a bad idea to change course in the middle of development to try copy the most popular game at the moment.

On an unrelated note, Marathon should include cute monster pets.

Last edited:

JCreasy

It is generally a bad idea to change course in the middle of development to try copy the most popular game at the moment.

On an unrelated note, Marathon should include cute monster pets.

I don’t think it would be as massive a shift. Just a shift in priorities. We know enemy AI are already planned for Marathon. And we know there’s a co-op component.

Yes, there would be structural changes. It would be worth it to ensure success.

Right now the gameplay choices feels like a hard sell. Not even Tarkov fans liked it in early test.

I don’t think it would be as massive a shift. Just a shift in priorities. We know enemy AI are already planned for Marathon. And we know there’s a co-op component.

Yes, there would be structural changes. It would be worth it to ensure success.

Right now the gameplay choices feels like a hard sell. Not even Tarkov fans liked it in early test.
Tarkov is pretty niche and hardcore game. I'm guessing Marathon will appeal to more casuals comparably

And you don't radically change a games vision after 5+ years because another game blew up. HD2 is amazing because they followed a set vision, they didn't chase trends

So because it doesn’t perfectly ape one game they should tear it down and ape another? Also, Tarkov has been out for a long time, at least in beta/EA. I enjoyed HD2 but it’s not going to have that kind of staying power.

Bungie should strive for something unique and their own, not just a clone of something we can already play.

That said, it’s Bungie, so I expect a game that has incredible gunplay but a laughably bad narrative and all kinds of scummy monetization.

Last edited:

SpokkX

Well that sounds easy, right?

A couple of switches and some tweaking

Now let the next CoD switch to a ToTk-clone too

… what you are asking is impossible now. Extraction shooter sounds doa, yeah.. but they cant just change genre

Aion002

I don't think they should ditch the main pvp mode, but they should definitely add a pve mode, something similar to MW3 Zombie mode.

More options is always nice and this way they can also grab the attention of other players that dislike pvp games.

JCreasy

I don't think they should ditch the main pvp mode, but they should definitely add a pve mode, something similar to MW3 Zombie mode.

More options is always nice and this way they can also grab the attention of other players that dislike pvp games.

Agreed. Happy compromise.

Maybe the signal is that shouldn’t ignore PvE.

Holammer

The game is already a trend chasing [Product], so I wouldn't put it past them to retool the game into a PVE co-op shooter. Either way, it won't have the irreverent spark of Helldivers.

Phase

They should make it a paid experience. You never have to compromise any systems in the game that way, and it creates a barrier of entry which limits cheaters.

Last edited:

JCreasy

I just want to point out that PvE has been quite a successful part of Destiny for years.

They’d still be making an extraction shooter.

Last edited:

Phase

PvP has a significantly higher ceiling than PvE. Bungie is aiming north of Apex Legends with Marathon.
If they can make the systems fun and have the gameplay be more casual than Tarkov (in a Halo way - easy to pick up but hard to master) it could really blow up.

Hrk69

OP is so smart

Developers just need to switch their genre to whatever is hot / successful

Easy money

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
The one thing that’s been universally praised is the art direction seen in the teaser trailer. The visuals are what everyone is excited about.
That is because that's the only thing Bungie has really unveiled. We don't know much else about this game.

You also haven't explained what exactly about Helldivers 2 you want Bungie to shift to. You mentioned skins, sci-fi armor, and sci-fi weapons. Those are the areas Bungie needs absolutely no help in developing.

Last edited:

JCreasy

That is because that's the only thing Bungie has really unveiled. We don't know much else about this game.

You also haven't explained what exactly about Helldivers 2 you want Bungie to shift to. You mentioned skins, sci-fi armor, and sci-fi weapons. Those are the areas Bungie needs absolutely no help in developing.

A focus on PvE. That’s my main recommendation.

But another poster pointed out the “why not both” approach, why makes sense too.

I’d settle for a PvE mode.

I would also like to see their take on strategems. Bungie is good with rendering dramatic scale. What would summoning an 40 foot tall asset look like?

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Cancel the game and save us all the headache from playing another "franchise return" from people who have no love or care for the franchise they are rebooting.

yurinka

Early impressions from Tarkov players who tested Marathon were reportedly underwhelming. This is a grave concern given that mainstream non-Tarkov-playing observers were ALSO underwhelmed when the project was announced as an extraction shooter modeled after Tarkov.

Who is this game for?
The teaser broke records getting 19M views super quickly. A lot of people is interested on it. It will be a huge hit, like the previous Bungie games.

There’s a clear signal here that Bungie should consider. If non-Tarkov fans weren’t excited about the actual gameplay announcement, and Tarkov fans weren’t excited about Bungie’s interpretation of Tarkov, new Marathon feels DOA.

Bungie should pivot instead of trying to force something on the market no one wants. I would be genuinely excited to play something Helldivers 2-style with all the brilliant art direction and energy of a AAA Bungie game. I would buy all the skins. All the cyberpunk armor. All the sci-fi weapons.
Sony's shooters should differentiate enough from each other to reduce the overlap as much as possible.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
No one of the pedigree of Bungie has attempted extraction shooters yet. Tarkov is still in pre alpha state 7 years into development. Hunt Showdown exists and is successful. Likely makes more $ than Tarkov too.

There’s a HUGE amount of players that want a super polished bad ass extraction shooter.

If anyone should copy Helldivers it should be 343 with an ODST variant. Drop into a planet full of covenant, or flood, or the robot guys etc. Plus you could drop in a banshee or ghost or have a Spartan show up briefly as a power then has to leave.

I would cream massive amounts for ODST Divers.

Gojiira

Id rather they ditch the current model and switch to the ACTUAL marathon style
This,100% this….It boggles my mind why Sony didnt tap a remake of the Marathon Trilogy or a reboot or sequel or whatever. Marathon could be ‘THE’ Playstation FPS on par with Halo,Prey,Dishonored,System Shock,Bioshock etc if it was handled right.
Same goes for Destiny though, Still waiting for a leak or announcement of some studio making a single player game set in the Destiny universe….

Last edited:

T0minator

Actually what Sony should do is make sure...

Marathon

Helldivers

Concord

...are all different and unique from one another.

Each could have their own audience, and with CoD still being on PlayStation, PS5 could end up being the home of some great multiplayer experiences in the next couple years

Killjoy-NL

I remember playing the Destiny 1 Alpha and thought:
"Is this it? We can't go to the mountains in background? Must be place-holder, can't possibly be this limited after all the hype and promises".

The game released exactly like the Alpha (at it's core), yet it still went and became my 2nd most-played game ever.
Destiny 1 was amazing regardless.

So, I'm not going to get worried about testers being underwhelmed just now.
Gotta see and play myself first, before I get worried.

Bungie can create amazing gameplay, so just let them work on it and see how it'll end up.

Might help that I know absolutely nothing about Marathon.

Shubh_C63

I logged in Destiny 2 after literal 90 Days and played for 6 hours straight.
I have always maintain Bungie has become an evil company because they're master at their craft.

Marathon will be wildly successful.

What is Helldivers model ??

PVE games are aplenty. Similar to Helldivers.

It owes it’s success to general chaos and intense gameplay. And it went viral on social media with short clips of cool stuff happening.

Most games trying to copy it will fail. There is no underlying formula.

Should Pokemon start making survival games now that Palworld is successful??

JCreasy

I remember playing the Destiny 1 Alpha and thought:
"Is this it? We can't go to the mountains in background? Must be place-holder, can't possibly be this limited after all the hype and promises".

The game released exactly like the Alpha (at it's core), yet it still went and became my 2nd most-played game ever.
Destiny 1 was amazing regardless.

So, I'm not going to get worried about testers being underwhelmed just now.
Gotta see and play myself first, before I get worried.

Bungie can create amazing gameplay, so just let them work on it and see how it'll end up.

Might help that I know absolutely nothing about Marathon.

Fair. 👍🏾

Hudo

How about making Marathon into an actual Marathon game? With a proper singleplayer campaign?

Destiny 1 and 2 have shown (at least to me) that Bungie's strength lies not in live-service shit. Because the very few very good components of both Destiny 1 and 2, the art design and the shooting mechanics, are what sustains these train wrecks. Certainly not all the live-service bullshit built around it.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
What is Helldivers model ??

PVE games are aplenty. Similar to Helldivers.

It owes it’s success to general chaos and intense gameplay. And it went viral on social media with short clips of cool stuff happening.

Most games trying to copy it will fail. There is no underlying formula.
“Grrr, why is it successful, not fair” the post. This is distilled envy right there 😂.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
“Grrr, why is it successful, not fair” the post. This is distilled envy right there 😂.

It's essentially how you can tell people who have never played Helldivers from the people who have. Often they are a hardcore player of some shitty dying GaaS game no one else wants to play, like suicide squad and due to sunk cost refuse to give an actual good game (Like Helldivers) a go.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Dude, there isn't any need for another "Helldivers II-style game" when there's actually a Helldivers II on the market already.

Let Marathon, which none of us have yet seen anything of, do it's own thing.

I’ll never understand why the majority of humans want to chase trends and feel like they are apart of some big collective. I don’t get it. Think outside of the box, do something nobody’s done, make a great game and the people will come…

Let Bungie do what they will with Marathon, without the input of anyone outside the development team. You’ve played Marathon before, right?

Top Bottom