• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NDS] FFCC:Ring of Fates Impression

enishi

Didn't expect to see this game release so early (5 days before the actual release date). And I'm lucky to get the last copy in game shop :D

Played for an hour and just completed the first map. Maybe I can have some early impression on this game.

Box Art and Instruction Menu:

Title Screen:

Graphics
The graphics improves from FF3 remake. I think it looks like FFIX on NDS but better. It is in general smooth without lag but for a few times some textures are broken. Loading is fast between map (about 1 sec)

2nd Town:

The view angle is changed automatically but it mostly stays 45-degree from top. It is sometimes annoying when you are in town since your view is sometimes blocked by trees and houses. I don't find it is a problem in battle yet since the map is designed to avoid such problem. There is a nice opening CG too (about 1 min).

BGM
I don't think it is impressive yet. Maybe it is too early in the game. I am surprised that there is voice act in the opening (after CG) and during important events. And the sound quality is not too bad.

Control
You can use buttons for most actions, including movement, attack, picking and menu select. The only thing that you need to use touch screen is special attack. When you want to use special attack, you press R and the main battle screen is changed to touch screen. Then you tap on the enemies to trigger. From the instruction menu, different characters will have different way to use touch screen for special attack. So far the control is smooth and responsive.

Battle
It is a typical ARPG that you need to explore the map and solve some puzzles. To compare with Zelda PH, it is simpler. Only need to find the right "keys" and buttons to open the gates in first map. I hope there are more variations later on. You can see the location of enemies on mini-map (also on the top screen, I wonder why SE can't put it on bottom screen). I would complain there are too few enemies on each map. The battle, including first boss, is easy. I wish it is just because of the first map.

Final Word
Can't compare with Zelda, esp on creative puzzles. But to me, it is far better than Children of Mana. I haven't tried multiplayers yet. I hope I can try and give impression later.

Thanks.

Doesn't sound too bad, but also doesn't sound great yet. Hopefully it picks up. The last big trailer led me to believe that the game offered quite a lot in the way of depth, hope it lives up to that.

king zell

i got the game today also . kinda stuck in a puzzle one hour into the game in the first city dungeon ( i dont know Japanese ) .

i really like the graphics and the control alot , the music gets better in the first city , also didn't try the multiplayer yet .

overall am liking the game thus far :)

enishi

DKnight said:
Is the game too text heavy or hard to understand without japanese knowledge?

Like most ARPG, you need to know the hints to solve the puzzles. These hints are in Japanese. But the hints are straight forward right now. If you know a little, you should be able to handle it.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
enishi said:
Like most ARPG, you need to know the hints to solve the puzzles. These hints are in Japanese. But the hints are straight forward right now. If you know a little, you should be able to handle it.
Ok thanks. One last question: how's the multiplayer? it's the single player but with friends, or special missions, or competitive or what?

enishi

DKnight said:
Ok thanks. One last question: how's the multiplayer? it's the single player but with friends, or special missions, or competitive or what?

I wish I could try that :( But I can't find one nearby interested in this game... No WFC co-op hurts me much :(((

jarrod

Banned
With the US release not coming until next spring, hopefully they find time to implement WFC multiplayer. They could even trun around as rerelease the "International" version in Japan then too...

ant1532

Banned
jarrod said:
With the US release not coming until next spring, hopefully they find time to implement WFC multiplayer. They could even trun around as rerelease the "International" version in Japan then too...
Yes please.

zurra

i finished the first dungeon so far. the graphics are super impressive... it's constantly smooth, looks way too good to be a DS game, and there are some neat blur effects that took me by surprise. i hope the puzzles don't get too tough with my garbage knowledge of japanese.

the music's really bland so far. hopefully the tunes later are better. not bad, just... blah.

looks like there's some kind of create-a-character for multiplayer where you pick from one of the game's main characters? i'm not sure what all the options are, but it let me change between a bunch of them and pick male or female, then i could run around a little lobby. no one else was there to play with though, obviously. looked fun, at least.

overall i'm impressed so far. turned out just as good as i hoped it would, plus some bonuses (the blur stuff, specifically).

Saitou

Banned
Thanks for the impressions!

I'm really interested in what the multiplayer has to offer.
Specifically, all the different character races/classes, and just how different they are.

Think you could delve a bit in that? Pweeeeaaaaaase?

EDIT: That is some awesome boxart. Please make it over :(

Monkaii

Multiplayer impressions;

We (gf and me) only played the multiplayer co-op all day long. First you have to create your own character, with choices between class and gender. Then you get dropped in a small town with ( as far as we have found ) 4 shops ( magic/items, weapons, recipes(?) and upgrades).

Each class has its own abilities, the ranger has the ability to double jump to get to higher platforms, while the robot (mage?) can control the magic/elemental orbs to enhance their effects. You really have to work together because of these (dis)advantages.

You can choose to solve small quests for the king. These are based on the maps in the game and have different goals. For example; kill all mobs, put out all the fires, jump from platform to platform avoiding obstacles to the end, find all the turnips (?), and many more.

You can also get into some larger maps, with bosses at the end (presumably the singleplayer maps).

Its really fun; and addictive. It has the basics of Children of Mana only much *much* fun and diverse. Even without knowing japanese :lol

enishi

After the 2nd dungeon, it becomes better and better.

How to Upgrade Weapons
You collect different materials and formula paper from monsters and treasure box. And then go to alchemical shop in town to combine new items. Each paper can be only used once. You need to find more for multiple items.

Magics
You can use magics starting from 2nd dungeon. It makes use of the touch screen. You get or buy some magic crystals and they will show on your touch screen. Different color of crystal represents different type of magic (e.g. fire, ice, cure). You tap to select the magic. And then hold X and move cursor (by buttons) to select your target. Release X to cast. You can't move during cast. You can store max of 10 crystals per magic type.

Dungeon Puzzles
Besides finding keys and pressing buttons, you can
use different magic to open gates
. And I have already seen some puzzles that can be only solved by 2 players (don't affect story progress).

Story
Nice story so far. I think it is better than GC version (I just played GC version a little though)

john tv said:
Nice. Where did you buy it?

I think those who can get this now are all from Hong Kong or Taiwan :)

zurra

i wish you could switch that attack skill from R to L... it's a little clunky to press R, grab stylus, poke monsters. L would make it alllll better...

Am I missing something here?

king zell

After the 2nd dungeon, it becomes better and better.

QFT

am starting to really love the game . the water is great looking , i wished if only the camera could go a little far from the character so i can see the area easily .

enishi

Nearly forgot 1 important thing:

Your character's outlook will be different after you change your weapons/clothes. That's good :)

Haunted

king zell said:
just talk to the father and then leave town , left of your home town
Your importer must be really awesome, because you always have these games the first day they're released online.

Neo Child

Banned
king zell said:
just talk to the father and then leave town , left of your home town

Hmm, but in the town to the right of my home town there is guards everywhere and a guy not letting me past. Is the father in a house in the home town?

Bo130

Number of online connections made from this game thursday: 264 connections
Number of online connections made from this game friday: 1624 connection

Pretty darn good as it's not suppose to be release until next week.

Lobster

Banned
Tenbatsu said:
This game supports online. See tat Nintendo Wi-Fi connection logo on the coverart above?

Online for what? I remember that S-E saying that no multiplayer online..so whats the online for?

Top Bottom