• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SquareEnix's YOSUMIN (Puzzle game x Ultimate Win)

Amir0x

Banned
So Square announced that it was making a puzzle game for the DS, based on some web puzzle game called Yosumin. Supposedly pretty popular in some part of the world. You can play it RIGHT HERE AT THIS LINK so you know exactly what I am saying for the rest.

Now it may have sounded lame that they're probably doing some hasty port over job with a new mode or something, but in actuality this is the greatest thing since Metroid Prime III Corruption.

Basically, the game is a field of various shapes. At first if you don't understand Japanese, you'll be clicking like "why the heck isn't anything disappearing, this looks like an asian Zoo Keeper!"

But then you figure it out, and it clicks.

YosuminWin.jpg

Basically, you must try to clear same colors that form a square, rectangle... basically anything with four even sides on a perimeter. Once you click the appropriate shapes, everything inside of the perimeter converts to this color and it goes into your counter.

YosuminTwqo.jpg

CLEAR! This is the simple premise. But then, it adds twist. A piece to add more time, a giant shape that taunts you with its menace. Then they add more shapes, which at first seems cool but in actuality changes the functional strategy of the game completely since more shapes means more variety on the field which means it's much harder to find square/rectangle perimeters.

This starts slow, then consumes your soul. Only after two hours of play last night, I sleep and dream about shapes and perimeters. Confirmed 10,10,10,10 in Famitsu.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I wholeheartedly support this thread. buyin @ fucking day 1!

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I hate it when you can try these games online. It totally abolishes the small amount of time I use to actually work, you know.

Amir0x

Banned
ItsInMyVeins said:
I hate it when you can try these games online. It totally abolishes the small amount of time I use to actually work, you know.

when this comes to DS I am guaranteed to get fired

Whoaness

Banned
So uh... -_- is there more to this? It does get more complicated right? I would assume adding angrier shaped faces.

Amir0x

Banned
Whoaness said:
So uh... -_- is there more to this? It does get more complicated right? I would assume adding angrier shaped faces.

they add the world's saddest raindrops :io

Amir0x

Banned
see right here i am sitting staring at my screen and in the first image I see an even LARGER square/rectangle perimeter consisting of red shapes

That is the type of thing i did in my sleep yesterday

soco

the biggest challenge right now is not closing off the window when the loading starts after every round, and then the ads begin...

scottnak

THANK you for making a new thread!
Played a lot last night... and I wanted to play on my laptop inbetween classes but I couldn't remember what thread it was hidden in. More time wasted woooo

ghibli99

Fantastic! Just tried it and I already love it. Hopefully the release version will have the production value of games like PPL. Can't wait -- thanks for the FYI!

ezekial45

Banned
*First 3 minutes*

"Why isn't game this working? Why the hell would the developers make a game you couldn't even play?"

*10 Minutes later*

"It's so addicting! I'm bookmarking this!"

Jiggy

Good thread, great game.

Indeed said:
Awesome.
The best part is this Midna-like Voice, which I cant really understand :D
Indeed, Indeed. I think anime has convinced me that "hayaku" means "hurry" or something to that effect, but other than that, yeah, I like not knowing what she's saying.

Second best part is that there are ads between every round. Awesome, no sarcasm needed.

Belfast

She's speaking Japanese. :lol

Anyway, music reminds me of something out of Katamari.

And you only need to click on the two opposite corners of your proposed square/rectangle for it to register (the computer will fill in the rest for you).

kassatsu

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
Good thread, great game.

Indeed, Indeed. I think anime has convinced me that "hayaku" means "hurry" or something to that effect, but other than that, yeah, I like not knowing what she's saying.

Second best part is that there are ads between every round. Awesome, no sarcasm needed.
When she says kochi kochi (over here, over here), it show you where to move. The shape will pulse. If she is saying hiyaku (hurry), she has already given you the hint. Hope that helps.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Amirox I hate you so goddamn much. I played this for a straight hour when I was supposed to be finishing off a sprite for work, and it gave me a headache. :(

I refuse to buy this on the DS. It will kill me. Almost literally.

TreIII

I don't like too many puzzle games...but damn, this one's a goodie. I haven't enjoyed such a game like this since Panel de Pon (Tetris Attack, Planet Puzzle League, whatever the hell the English name is today).

Too bad the DS game probably won't have the ads between puzzles. I demand trippy anime cutscenes to fill the void! :lol

Whoaness

Banned
I can't see myself playing this for more than half an hour. Got to the 5th stage or whatever.

On another note, I saw that train game for the Wii. That train controller is INSANE!

Mamesj

Banned
So it's kinda like Go? in a way, remotely related...?

Looks good. Glad to see S-E branching out from the RPG and crappy action game genres.

Amir0x

Banned
TreIII said:
I haven't enjoyed such a game like this since Panel de Pon (Tetris Attack, Planet Puzzle League, whatever the hell the English name is today).

Heh, I didn't want to say this... but yeah pretty much no puzzle game has got me in this "mode" since Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo, or more recently Planet Puzzle League. I think I want to quit, then I'm like "but wait maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. I know I can square away an extra 100 million points!"

I mean I've only played for a day but it's pretty awesome

TreIII said:
Too bad the DS game probably won't have the ads between puzzles. I demand trippy anime cutscenes to fill the void! :lol

haha yeah i was joking in the other thread they should recreate this unique way of rewarding the player

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Played this last night. It just killed my chances of getting to work this morning. Super addicting game.

Amir0x

Banned
PataHikari said:
How do I get rid of these giant pieces they make me lose.

i told you they laugh at you menacingly! They say mean things and curse at you.

You get rid of them by clearing shapes around them

Belfast

Bah. Got knocked out trying to get 120 of the teardrop shapes. :(

Some of the other games that they link to after you look at the high scores are pretty cool, though. Reflector's pretty fun.

Amir0x

Banned
Belfast said:
Bah. Got knocked out trying to get 120 of the teardrop shapes. :(

Some of the other games that they link to after you look at the high scores are pretty cool, though. Reflector's pretty fun.

i may try them out after this game stops munching on the remaining pieces of my soul

Belfast

Amir0x said:
i may try them out after this game stops munching on the remaining pieces of my soul

Reflector's a twist on the old laser/mirror game. There's all kinds of different mirrors and you get bonuses for hitting mirrors right in the middle and there's powerups and all that jazz. It's kind of tough, though. I suppose that's because I'm not really sure what all the different types of mirrors do, and each laser shot you take eats up one of your lives.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
U K Narayan said:
What the Hell, man. I cleared this thing in less than 30 seconds.

This is REALLY easy.
Wait till you get one more colour, this is where it gets hard.

Amir0x

Banned
U K Narayan said:
What the Hell, man. I cleared this thing in less than 30 seconds.

This is REALLY easy.

oh ho ho

how they so effortlessly trick the little red riding hoods into the dark forest

Top Bottom